Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2010, 20:29   #61
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpmeister View Post
In fact every Automobile magazine & Auto show on TV have picked the Beat ahead of the Wagon R!!
I too would pick a Beat over the WagonR. No, the edgy looks aren't to my tastes at all. On the other hand, the Beat is:

- Well priced
- Reasonably fuel efficient
- Has good quality interiors (for the segment)
- Excellent ride quality
- Unique design highlights (starting with that sportsbike meter arrangement)
- 3 year complete service packages
- Refined 4 cylinder engine (unlike the thrummy 3 cylinder in the WagonR)

Sure, its not a scorcher, but the mass market doesn't care about that. The only two negatives I see in the Beat is the claustrophobic rear seat and weak 2nd gear performance. But, car versus car, I do think the Beat is an overall superior product (to the Wagon).

This thread is a knee-jerk reaction to the August sales. I don't think one month can make or break a product. Lets see how the coming quarters treat the Beat.

And yes, a good diesel engine will double its volumes at the minimum. The Figo - without a diesel - would have ended up as a market dud.
Old 13th September 2010, 20:48   #62
Senior - BHPian

Somehow nobody has touched upon the fact that is the Beat is a solid 50K-1 lakh cheaper than the other 1.2s. In a Polo you cannot even get Climate control, a proper 4-cyl engine and USB-out HU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
About your second part, any young individual would pick Swift as the flashy styling was backed by scintillating performance and handling. Not so in Beat.
If you take a leaf from motorcycle market, young people want style first, mileage second and then performance next. Swift would have done well even with a weaker engine and BTW the Beat is not far behind.
Old 13th September 2010, 21:07   #63
Senior - BHPian

The bad August performance of the Beat could be attributable to the august arrival of the Alto K10.

The rear half of the Beat including the claustrophobic rear seats could not be the sole culprit as swift rear is also not any much better. Both these and the A star uses almost the same design language.

Further the whole lot of choices available to the buyer can make or break a product.

Also keep in mind that today there are more cars than there are buyers. (I mean production capacity of all brands put together) which is exactly why there are discounts and freebies galore.

Last edited by rajeev k : 13th September 2010 at 21:09.
Old 14th September 2010, 11:15   #64
Senior - BHPian

@GTO: absolutely agree with you that Figo would have been a dud without the diesel engine. So all those who say that lack of diesel in the Beat is not the major reason why its not doing well should look at the way the Figo is selling mostly due to its diesel engine.
Old 14th September 2010, 11:32   #65
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Somehow nobody has touched upon the fact that is the Beat is a solid 50K-1 lakh cheaper than the other 1.2s. In a Polo you cannot even get Climate control, a proper 4-cyl engine and USB-out HU.
Absolutely true MPower. The price, equipment level is very sweet compared to other models available in the same category.

I still believe that had it been from other reputable stable like Maruti, Hyundai, it would have been a roaring success.
Old 14th September 2010, 13:05   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajess_in View Post
The customer profile chosen is the biggest reason IMHO.

Beat is for an independent, style conscious urban youth who likes to go places in his car.
100% correct in my opinion. There are many who would not want to bring home a car looking like that. Though it looks very modern, the styling may not appeal to a whole lot of people.

A little more traditional styling and boot space would have perhaps helped.
Old 14th September 2010, 17:27   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
The Beat is more known for its sharp styling. It may not appeal to every one, but it certainly gives the car an identity of its own. A conservative styling would never have given the car this sort of an identity.
Kudos to GM for retaining much of the concept car elements in the production version.
Old 14th September 2010, 18:18   #68
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
....Though it looks very modern, the styling may not appeal to a whole lot of people.

When Swift was launched, many peoples are critical about its looks, styling, rear window, etc. But today, it is one of the highest selling hatch.
Old 14th September 2010, 18:41   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-one View Post
The Beat is more known for its sharp styling. It may not appeal to every one, but it certainly gives the car an identity of its own. A conservative styling would never have given the car this sort of an identity.
Kudos to GM for retaining much of the concept car elements in the production version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
When Swift was launched, many peoples are critical about its looks, styling, rear window, etc. But today, it is one of the highest selling hatch.
I don't disagree with either of you. As I said in my post, that is just my personal opinion on why it might not be hitting the numbers as mentioned by the thread starter. Let's leave it at that.
Old 14th September 2010, 20:13   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
@GTO: absolutely agree with you that Figo would have been a dud without the diesel engine. So all those who say that lack of diesel in the Beat is not the major reason why its not doing well should look at the way the Figo is selling mostly due to its diesel engine.
Figo diesel is selling well as the engine is excellent. To turbo lag. Great for cty and good mileage. That coupled with excellent ride and handling makes it a great driver's car. Besides the cabin space and boot space is something else to talk about.
So Figo diesel is both a driver's car as well as a family car. It is bound to sell.

Beat with an equally good diesel engine (which is highly improbable) will still not be a good driver's car (handling) or a family car (space, practicallity). No doubt the sales will increase with the launch of but it just cant match Figo. So lets wait and watch.

As a matter of fact Beat was never targeted for the mass market. It is doing good in its own way.
I think GM will be happy if they can maintain 2500 Petrol Beat all along.
Old 14th September 2010, 22:02   #71
Joy
BHPian

@oxygen: Can you tell me buddy, why spark is selling so low with 3 years free maintenance package and at a palatable price range (if it is not brand consciousness). Even our own GTO is fan of its driving capabilities (source: TBHP)?

I am not arguing your points, I agree with you regarding diesel Figo's capabilities but (as suggested by you in Beat's Test drive and Review to test drive both) I found Petrol Figo a bit sluggish which is not the case with diesel. Moreover, plastic quality and fit & finish is not at par with beat.

IMHO, Ikon & Fiesta (though costly to maintain earlier) left a stamp on car lover's mind whose benefit Figo is getting. If you go through Figo's test drive and review (and also other owner's review here), Figo cost of ownership and A.S.S. is still showing some doubts, where as I haven't heard any scaring story regarding GM's A.S.S.

I am just putting forward my points. No personal heart feelings .
Old 14th September 2010, 22:07   #72
Senior - BHPian

Not many people loved the "Love it or Hate it" design of the Beat. What they can do it, instead of the hatch back, use the platform to come up with a small SUV/Crossover (lines of Premier Rhio) with a diesel engine and it will be a success.
Old 15th September 2010, 09:34   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@oxygen: Can you tell me buddy, why spark is selling so low with 3 years free maintenance package and at a palatable price range (if it is not brand consciousness). Even our own GTO is fan of its driving capabilities (source: TBHP)?

I am not arguing your points, I agree with you regarding diesel Figo's capabilities but (as suggested by you in Beat's Test drive and Review to test drive both) I found Petrol Figo a bit sluggish which is not the case with diesel. Moreover, plastic quality and fit & finish is not at par with beat.

IMHO, Ikon & Fiesta (though costly to maintain earlier) left a stamp on car lover's mind whose benefit Figo is getting. If you go through Figo's test drive and review (and also other owner's review here), Figo cost of ownership and A.S.S. is still showing some doubts, where as I haven't heard any scaring story regarding GM's A.S.S.

Absolutely agree with you that the Figo is reaping benefits of the good handling reputations of the earlier Ikon and the Fiesta. GM service is good but its as good or bad as Ford's and I speak from personal experience as I own a car from both the stables. The Beat with a diesel heart and coupled with a 3 year cashless policy will be a brilliant car to own. But i guess GM is having a tough time in sourcing a small diesel whereas every one barring Nissan has a small capacity diesel. GM cars are no doubt competitive but are having a hard time selling solely due peoples lack of trust in GM when compared to others. No one goes to a GM showroom first when buying their cars. At least I didn't and I don't know anyone who did. Maruti Tata and Hyundai are selling a huge number of not such great cars and what does that tell you? Only one thing, that people most often than not have GM at the bottom of their wish lists.
Old 15th September 2010, 19:24   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Ford A.S.S is pretty pathetic as far as I know. At least some dealers. Spares pretty expensive as well. I also heard GM accidental parts are also quite expensive. Not sure if its true.

Quote:
Its because when Spark was launched it was priced exorbitantly. Almost as much as Swift. Then they started giving discounts , freebies, Cashless ownership etc etc. This kind of discounting does not help in India. Fiesta anyone? I agree Spark is a very good car. I would anyday pick it over Alto. But not after the launch of Alto K10.
Old 27th September 2010, 15:40   #75
BHPian

Guys, dont tell me Beat lack in performance?With the power weight ratio and the stability it provides it can smoke almost all the cars in its category.Atleast i have tried it out including the so called i10 Kappa.

I agree about the boot space but not the rest of the things, Tell me the hatchback which has the best interiors in the price range ?

Figo sold out due to its Diesel sibling, Just checkout how many petrol figos are selling each month?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks