Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2010, 17:15   #76
BHPian

Quiet a few things wrong:

Small boot(bigger than that in a a-star)
cramperd rear seat(more space than a santro)
High dash
looking out is difficult
A pillar is very obstructive!
2nd gear is sluggish.

and I still LOVE my car
Old 6th October 2010, 15:21   #77
BHPian

Dont know how i missed this thread. Amazing analysis by TBHPians. I guess i was amongst the few who were waiting for quite sometime but ended up not buying Beat once i knew Diesel was going to come soon. Also feel it might be the first diesel in such a small car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
We all know that practicality, VFM, after sales service and general approval sell vehicles in India. The Beat is a well engineered product, but, as previous comments have stated:

1. Isn't as practical (read: Spacious, Boot) as cars in the price range (Figo, i10, wagonR etc.)
2. GM's after sales still can't match Maruti and Hyundai's.
3. A slightly older buyer would not like the flashy looks (Preferring blander ones like the i10, Figo etc.)
4. The Resale value will be poorer than the Marutis and Hyundais.
5. The Figo really shook up the segment with its space and features for price.

I guess it took away a lot of the Beat's potential customers.
To answer you

a) New car launches in recent pats (Ritz, A-Star, New WagonR) all have reduced Boot Sizes to increase the Passenger cabin space

b) I think most of the comparison is with Ford here. I agree in the Aftersales reach of Marutis and Hyundai's are better given there reach and size.

c) Well suzuki is the perfect example that if it is a futuristic design it grows on elderlies gradually. I particularly remember one advt (the best one from maruti i believe) where they showed one elderly balding guy flirting fun with an elderly lady while driving a swift. I guess mid age and elderlies are sizeable chunk of all the customers swift is being sold these days.

d) thats a given thing if you buy anything other than maruti. Guess due to the backing it provides by True value.

e) correcto with a caveat. Its the Figo diesel which has shaken (up) Ford's sales. Figo diesel is the lowest price diesel you can buy other side of Indica Vista.... Vista diesel incidentally is atleast 40-50 K cheaper than even figo. correct me. in terms of sheer value probably its the vista which is best value for your money.
Old 6th October 2010, 19:58   #78

In my opinion the beat is not very successful because of it's cramped rear seat spacing. There is hardly any leg space available. While if you compare other cars in the same price range the rear seating is quite comfortable.

Secondly a diesel version should also be available.

The service by GM definitely has to improve to win more customers.
Old 6th October 2010, 21:24   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
To answer you

a) New car launches in recent pats (Ritz, A-Star, New WagonR) all have reduced Boot Sizes to increase the Passenger cabin space

b) I think most of the comparison is with Ford here. I agree in the Aftersales reach of Marutis and Hyundai's are better given there reach and size.

c) Well suzuki is the perfect example that if it is a futuristic design it grows on elderlies gradually. I particularly remember one advt (the best one from maruti i believe) where they showed one elderly balding guy flirting fun with an elderly lady while driving a swift. I guess mid age and elderlies are sizeable chunk of all the customers swift is being sold these days.

d) thats a given thing if you buy anything other than maruti. Guess due to the backing it provides by True value.

e) correcto with a caveat. Its the Figo diesel which has shaken (up) Ford's sales. Figo diesel is the lowest price diesel you can buy other side of Indica Vista.... Vista diesel incidentally is atleast 40-50 K cheaper than even figo. correct me. in terms of sheer value probably its the vista which is best value for your money.
I beg to differ in some points -

a) The newer Ritz and older Swift share the same platform, see the statistics for leg room and boot space -

Ritz -
Boot Space - 236 lits
Front leg room (max/min) - 1210/970 cm
Rear knee room (max/min) - 790/570 cm
Shoulder room - 1310 cm

Swift -
Boot Space - 232 lits
Front leg room (max/min) - 1150/690 cm
Rear knee room (max/min) - 855/625 cm
Shoulder room - 1285 cm

(Data courtesy: Overdrive)
It's very blanket statement that in newer cars boot space is being compromised with cabin space.

b) True, everyone cann't correlate themselves with Beat adv. I don't understand the meaning of the adv. Same true for Jazz punchline "why so serious". Man! buying a car is a damn serious thing in India, but the Honda is asking why so serious? Funny. May be they are over confident about their product and not taken the consumers seriously and that clearly reflects in the every months sales chart.

On the other hand see the Figo adv. such a big wooden elephant can be accommodated in the boot - thus, it has a large boot. The lady in the adv. directed the AC towards the husband t cool him down - has a powerful AC. In the marriage party 5 people burged into the car - has a big cabin space. Now see the sales figure of Figo!

Chevy could not able to make a space in the heart of average Indian buyers. If they are addressing this product to younger generation, then the volume it is selling is perfect. How many young Indian can afford a car?

d) The sales data Jan-May 2010 shows all models (Swift, Ritz, i20, Figo) which have petrol and diesel sold in the ratio of 45:55; except i20 where the ratio was 86:14. Thus, the IMO overall Ford is offering a VFM package which is for every body, be it younger, mid-aged or older consumers. But Vista figuers are really serious matter for TATA.
Old 6th October 2010, 22:12   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavish11 View Post
In my opinion the beat is not very successful because of it's cramped rear seat spacing. There is hardly any leg space available. While if you compare other cars in the same price range the rear seating is quite comfortable.

Secondly a diesel version should also be available...
Kavish, have you actually tried sitting in the BEAT's rear seat? I wonder how many who complain about Beat's rear seat leg room have actually tried sitting in it (no offence please).

I agree BEAT's boot space is pathetic, but I can't accept legroom is smaller than its competitors. It's plain WRONG.

And to others who're complaining about the lack of 2nd gear performance, please get the latest ECU remapping done. After that, let me know .

Totally agree about the diesel though. Diesel option in the Figo was a killer strategy by Ford.

Anyway, BEAT's sales in Sep have been decent. I hope it picks up!
Old 8th October 2010, 12:25   #81
Senior - BHPian

Not everyone understands every ad. And ad makers do not target the entire TV or media viewing audience with the aim of making all understand.

The Beat is meant for a specific target audience, and my young generation, it is not literally 'young' meaning teens or whatever. more for the 25+ population in the early stage of their careers. Right!!. So do young at heart.

What about the Swift add which showed an old man doing a 180 to impress an another elderly lady, and the caption saying the young drive the swift. Yeah right.

Any Honda's why so serious is also not to be taken quite literaly and thats not what they meant.
Old 9th October 2010, 13:36   #82
BHPian

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 14th October 2010 at 10:58.
rki2007 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th October 2010, 15:15   #83
gou
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
From what I checked on internet, high end models of Figo diesel and Vista diesel are priced almost same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Not everyone understands every ad. And ad makers do not target the entire TV or media viewing audience with the aim of making all understand.

The Beat is meant for a specific target audience, and my young generation, it is not literally 'young' meaning teens or whatever. more for the 25+ population in the early stage of their careers. Right!!. So do young at heart.

What about the Swift add which showed an old man doing a 180 to impress an another elderly lady, and the caption saying the young drive the swift. Yeah right.

Any Honda's why so serious is also not to be taken quite literaly and thats not what they meant.
I agree, not everyone understands every ad and not every ad is targeted at everyone. But I still do not understand what Honda wants to say when it says - Why so serious? Yes there are multiple things I can think of regarding that but I can't relate much of either of them.
Old 11th October 2010, 00:41   #84
~~h
BHPian

As many of us rightly said, it's a marketing failure.
In our country cars at this price bracket are bought (mainly) by middle class families, and unlike other players Beat has not done anything to connect to them.
..male deo models doesn't go well in a family car ad; PS3/Kinnect? may have worked.
Old 11th October 2010, 13:35   #85
BHPian

Another thing that holds back a lot of potential customers would be the poor resale of chevy products. agreed ford is no better as far as resale goes but people then buy the diesel version of figo and do stretch i beyond 1Lac kms. with that sorta mileage no car really gives you "fabulous" resale.

all in all a 2nd hand beat would be a really good buy.
Old 11th October 2010, 22:01   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Cool View Post
Another thing that holds back a lot of potential customers would be the poor resale of chevy products. agreed ford is no better as far as resale goes but people then buy the diesel version of figo and do stretch i beyond 1Lac kms. with that sorta mileage no car really gives you "fabulous" resale..
I still dont have a feeling that GM as it is, is not here for the long haul. Since GM india is not getting the kind of support from its parent, eventually, the lineup will be replaced with cheaper models from the chinese SAIC. If that happens, and the current models may be discontinued which means, you may not get parts. I personally, wont buy a GM product, until i am clear about their strategy for India. The products are not out of the ordinary, to take a chance, There is nothing special about the current Chevy models....

Last edited by teamveevee : 11th October 2010 at 22:03.
Old 12th October 2010, 12:07   #87
BHPian

@teamvee, do you have facts to support your claims?

Why I am asking this is because a lot of us have put in our hard-earned money into our beloved cars and we should not be at the wrong receiving end.
Old 12th October 2010, 22:04   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post
@teamvee, do you have facts to support your claims?.
KA18, These are my personal view point based on info available and talking to people in this field. I was recently in the market for a car and for the same reasons i mentioned, i did not consider Chevy, even though i liked Chevy Cruz. My conclusion was, it is not that special to take a chance right now. I am not saying or advicing that you should not buy a Chevy product, but i personally wont do it, right now. Chevy in India is in a transition stage.
Old 13th October 2010, 11:07   #89
BHPian

@gou Atleast in chennai figo highend is 6.2 OTR and more expensive than topend swift/ritz/vista and almost as costly as the Punto Emotion. It does pack more features though.

Figo was the real challenge for Beat in my opinion. There is sizeable chunk of people who blindly prefer maruti and to a lesser extent Hyundai because of the A.S.S. These people would never go to a different manufacturer too easily(like FOrd, GM or VW). Then you have a floating customer population who is looking for more value and who are ready to try out newer brands. I think this population would just be around 30% of the market right now. These people would have attracted by the Figo which all said and done feels a segment bigger than BEAT especially for a person who is sitting in it for the first time. This coupled with the better handling/ride quality/diesel advantage/better marketing has damaged BEAT.

Even today i was seeing ads about 50000 Figos being completed etc. Never saw such ADs for BEAT.

Last edited by vishnurp99 : 13th October 2010 at 11:08.
Old 14th October 2010, 11:02   #90
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
I wonder how many who complain about Beat's rear seat leg room have actually tried sitting in it (no offence please).

I agree BEAT's boot space is pathetic, but I can't accept legroom is smaller than its competitors. It's plain WRONG.
I completely agree. The Beat's legroom is actually pretty good for the segment. It isn't a weakness, rather the rear legroom can be a selling point.

The only thing going against the back seat is the lack of light (thanks to limited glass area), and the resultant feeling of claustrophobia.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks