Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2010, 11:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Is BEAT facing the HEAT ?

When launched in january , BEAT was one of the most anticipated hatchbacks of the year . It also turned out to be the game changer in terms of pricing , and made ford and VW rethink about pricing . Got thumbs up from auto fraternity for its looks , pricing , features and as a overall package . CHEVROLET promise adding icing to the cake. But in terms of sales , beat never took off . The sales have always been between 4500 initially to 2500 - 3000 off late . These are decent figures , but considering beat as a package , these are not great figures . Figo had a flying start and doing great , polo is in great demand . So whats going wrong with the BEAT ?
Old 8th September 2010, 11:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
When launched in january , BEAT was one of the most anticipated hatchbacks of the year . It also turned out to be the game changer in terms of pricing , and made ford and VW rethink about pricing . Got thumbs up from auto fraternity for its looks , pricing , features and as a overall package . CHEVROLET promise adding icing to the cake. But in terms of sales , beat never took off . The sales have always been between 4500 initially to 2500 - 3000 off late . These are decent figures , but considering beat as a package , these are not great figures . Figo had a flying start and doing great , polo is in great demand . So whats going wrong with the BEAT ?
In my view, the lack of space specially at rear, was one of the *main* reasons its not doing too well.
A person spending 3.5-4 L today expects comfortable seating for 5 people, with reasonable boot space and airy interiors. Both Figo and new WagonR are good at it.
The 3.5-4 L segment has much more demand for practical and non-flashy cars as against boy-racer types.
Old 8th September 2010, 12:26   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
In my view, the lack of space specially at rear, was one of the *main* reasons its not doing too well.
A person spending 3.5-4 L today expects comfortable seating for 5 people, with reasonable boot space and airy interiors. Both Figo and new WagonR are good at it.
The 3.5-4 L segment has much more demand for practical and non-flashy cars as against boy-racer types.
I totally agree. Although as a package, the BEAT is an extremely VFM vehicle - has modern engineering, nice interiors (dash especially), good equipment and an awesome warranty and maintenance cover. However, i feel that the BEAT is sorely let down by the really bad boot space (it is almost the same as my 800), claustrophobic back seat and space distribution in the car. I am currently in the market for a new hatchback and BEAT doesn't make anywhere near my Top 3 list for these very reasons. Additionally after I drove the BEAT, FIGO and RITZ, I felt that the engine in the BEAT isn't as refined as the other two. For almost the same money, I can buy a better vehicle in the form of RITZ or FIGO (although with less equipment, but with better engines, space and road presence). These are my personal views - no offense meant to any existing or potential BEAT owners
Old 8th September 2010, 12:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion, the Beat failed due to the following reasons.
1) No diesel engine
2) Underpowered petrol motor
3) F.E is not too great
4) Terrible bootspace, making it impractical as an only car.
Old 8th September 2010, 12:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

I guess GM is still not a favorite brand in India. That's the main reason behind it. Think of a customer who is in need of a car around 4 Lacs. He will only think of Maruti, Tata & Hyundai only as a first preference. If he is not satisfied then only he will turn to other brands which didn't happen many times. As customer is won by cars like Wagon R, Santro, i10, Vista etc.

This is my thought
Old 8th September 2010, 13:32   #6
BHPian

I think absence of diesel is a major reason. We are comparing sales of petrol and diesel together for other models or combination of two engine variants in the case of i10 with Beat sales.

Once diesel beat is launched we will get a clearer picture.
Old 8th September 2010, 13:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
I think absence of diesel is a major reason. We are comparing sales of petrol and diesel together for other models or combination of two engine variants in the case of i10 with Beat sales.

Once diesel beat is launched we will get a clearer picture.
I agree. A diesel variant can lift up sales a little. However, the reason the sales has fallen from around 4K levels to 2.5K levels is due to the impact of new Wagon R and Figo.
Old 8th September 2010, 14:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
When launched in january , BEAT was one of the most anticipated hatchbacks of the year . The sales have always been between 4500 initially to 2500 - 3000 off late . These are decent figures , but considering beat as a package , these are not great figures . Figo had a flying start and doing great , polo is in great demand . So whats going wrong with the BEAT ?
The customer profile chosen is the biggest reason IMHO.

Beat is for an independent, style conscious urban youth who likes to go places in his car. In a country with a rich family tradition, how many youths suit such a profile. Even, most youths will agree that buying a bike itself is difficult, since we are financially dependant on our parents at such an age (say going to college, early part of career).

In the case of Figo, "Sandeep" (the profile as marketed by the Ford team) is in his late twenties, salaried, settled & likes to take his family around with him. How many of us honestly can relate to this profile. Iam among them (Yes, I have bought a Figo myself looking into the needs of my family as a whole)

This is the reason why the Figo has clicked whereas Beat is struggling a little.
Old 8th September 2010, 14:18   #9
BHPian

We all know that practicality, VFM, after sales service and general approval sell vehicles in India. The Beat is a well engineered product, but, as previous comments have stated:

1. Isn't as practical (read: Spacious, Boot) as cars in the price range (Figo, i10, wagonR etc.)
2. GM's after sales still can't match Maruti and Hyundai's.
3. A slightly older buyer would not like the flashy looks (Preferring blander ones like the i10, Figo etc.)
4. The Resale value will be poorer than the Marutis and Hyundais.
5. The Figo really shook up the segment with its space and features for price.

I guess it took away a lot of the Beat's potential customers.
Old 8th September 2010, 14:18   #10
girishbhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I guess GM is still not a favorite brand in India. That's the main reason behind it. Think of a customer who is in need of a car around 4 Lacs. He will only think of Maruti, Tata & Hyundai only as a first preference. If he is not satisfied then only he will turn to other brands which didn't happen many times. As customer is won by cars like Wagon R, Santro, i10, Vista etc.
I agree.

Normally 3.5-4 L segment buyers look for the low maintenance and cheap spare parts. Beat fails in both the front. And in India GM is not a favorite brand. And also it has very poor resale value, compare to Maruti, Hyundai and Tata.

Old 8th September 2010, 14:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Beat

There was never a requirement for another petrol car which had to compete against the likes of Wagon R, i10, Swift and Ritz. The need was clearly for a diesel car to take on Swift. Spark was doing good job for GM, it could have been facelifted and Beat could have been released with diesel version. GM has lost the advantage, see what Ford has achieved with Figo. Better pull up the socks and take some bold decisions.
Old 8th September 2010, 14:36   #12
BHPian

IMO, the BEAT is not a family all rounder and it doesn't tick all the boxes for most first time car buyers. So sales for this car would never match up to the other all rounders like the Wagon R or new entrants Figo/Polo. The ideal buyer would be people looking for a second car in the garage for the wife or for those small runabouts in the city. How much volume exists in this market and is it a sustainable market?
The all rounder in the Chevy stable is the Spark. This is where they need to focus their efforts on for volumes. But it is not going to be easy because the BEAT and Spark have different lineage and some standardization will be required across the two platforms.
And they also need to improve their advertising to woo the mass market. At the moment the BEAT seems to target the youth 25/27 yr olds and SPARK advertising is almost non-existent.
Old 8th September 2010, 14:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post

This is my thought
Spot on ! Hence , GM needs to do some brand building ! Instead of showing that it is a tough , s**y car ( these are terms used by chevy ) , Chevy should promote it as an all - rounder .
Old 8th September 2010, 15:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

The only reason I didn't even consider Beat is the service network. There is no service centre anywhere near my home. So it is irrelevant to me how great the car is, if I have to take a day off every time I want to get it serviced.
Old 8th September 2010, 15:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Beat is not at all underpowered. May be the diesel factor hurting the sales. Agreed Beat is not a family car, but good for early married and even with two kids. Can some one compile the sales figure of Petrol Beat / Petrol Figo /i10. I am sure Beat will survive. Let us wait and watch! People complaining about GM's service wrt Maruti's and Hyundai's. What about Ford? Both these cars are relative new and nothing major will happen in first year or even second year. Let us wait and watch how things will shape up in the coming years on the service/spares/labor front. Our Figo got a cut/dent in left fender by a local tempo-Ace at Gurgaon. For repair Ford quoted Rs.5500 and we did from a local dent guy for Rs.300. Finish is unbelievable. Painting/touching is still pending.

We own both Beat and Figo.

Cheers!

Vinu

Most Viewed