Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2010, 15:29   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Wait for the Aria and check it out before picking up the Safari. The Aria may just meet your needs better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
A Service Engineer at concord who has attended multiple course on ARIA in Pune told that all new Aria features like Hill Climb Assist and Hill Descent Assist will make way to next generation Safari and ECU and engine will continue. Not sure how reliable his information

Only thing which was certain is that next gen Safari is not being released this year.

Thanks Amit,
I am happy about that. Dont think i can wait for almost a year for something we all are not very sure about. Also i have been in love with the current shape & design and not to forget its Nuisance Value
Old 6th July 2010, 13:57   #242
BHPian

Saw the Safari LX in black at ABS Motors in gurgaon yesterday, the guy took me to their stock yard. I liked the new beige interiors which are standard in all BS 4 models now. Also the meter panel is blue. I am planning to get the bumpers and the side cladding painted black and get the fog lamps.
Need help on the tyre size upgrade. My cousin has chrome alloys with 295 / 50 / 16 Maxiss on his Safari GX which are kinds attractive. Your suggestions are welcome.

Mods please pardon if this post does not belong to this thread.
Old 6th July 2010, 14:19   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsyngh View Post
Need help on the tyre size upgrade. My cousin has chrome alloys with 295 / 50 / 16 Maxiss on his Safari GX which are kinds attractive. Your suggestions are welcome.
My suggestion would be to retain the stock size 235x70x16 - oversize creates issues of fouling up the wheel well & you end up having to chop a bit of the mudguards/inners etc.

I would recommend going in for All Terrain tyres in stock size though - the Yoko Geo A/TS are really good ones.

Last edited by suman : 6th July 2010 at 14:20.
Old 6th July 2010, 14:48   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
My suggestion would be to retain the stock size 235x70x16 - oversize creates issues of fouling up the wheel well & you end up having to chop a bit of the mudguards/inners etc.

I would recommend going in for All Terrain tyres in stock size though - the Yoko Geo A/TS are really good ones.

Thanks Suman,
I will go and have a look at them today evening, i have been told they are preety neat.
Cheers
Old 16th August 2010, 20:23   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Guys one of my co-worker informed me that new Tata Safari will have Fiat's 1.9MJD, and Tata is already testing one. I know for sure that this guy knows quiet a few people working with Tata motors.

Has anyone heard something like this?

I hope its a 1.9 TT MJD
One of my friend visited Tata motors manufacturing unit and this is what he got to know.

"All new Tata Safari will come with Fiat's 1.9 TT MJD"
Old 16th August 2010, 21:57   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
"All new Tata Safari will come with Fiat's 1.9 TT MJD"
This is GOOD news!! However will be at peace only when we see come sort of confirmation. The effects of the game of Chinese Whispers are known to many!!
Old 17th August 2010, 01:15   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

What are the specs of the 1.9MJD? Unlike the Indica DICOR engine, the 2.2 DICOR is a great engine, so not sure why Tata would want to give up this engine after spending so much money developing it. Besides their flagship product Aria is coming with the 2.2 so why would they plonk a more expensive engine engine in the Safari. I think this is one of those *I know somebody who knows somebody whose friends neighbor works in Tata" stories.
Old 17th August 2010, 07:23   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
What are the specs of the 1.9MJD? Unlike the Indica DICOR engine, the 2.2 DICOR is a great engine, so not sure why Tata would want to give up this engine after spending so much money developing it. Besides their flagship product Aria is coming with the 2.2 so why would they plonk a more expensive engine engine in the Safari. I think this is one of those *I know somebody who knows somebody whose friends neighbor works in Tata" stories.
Yeah, me also thinking likewise.Why would Tata offer the MJD instead of the Dicor?
Also the Aria is to be more important than the Safari,so it would have been better in the aria than the safari.
BTW, i prefer Tata developing their own engines,maybe a stop gap arrangement, but they seem to be giving priority towards fiat engines.
Old 17th August 2010, 07:43   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What are the specs of the 1.9MJD?
This is what I could figure out from Wikipedia.

The Multijet second generation features a common-rail design and is available with five different power outputs. The 8-valve version has 100 PS (74 kW; 99 hp), 120 PS (88 kW; 120 hp) or 130 PS (96 kW; 130 hp), the last two with variable geometry turbocharger; and the 16-valve version has 150 PS (110 kW; 150 hp) or 170 PS (130 kW; 170 hp).

Source : JTD engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Unlike the Indica DICOR engine, the 2.2 DICOR is a great engine, so not sure why Tata would want to give up this engine after spending so much money developing it. Besides their flagship product Aria is coming with the 2.2 so why would they plonk a more expensive engine engine in the Safari. I think this is one of those *I know somebody who knows somebody whose friends neighbor works in Tata" stories.
I believe if they continue using the 2.2 Dicor in Aria, the ROI should be recovered. There is a TD report on Aria which confirms the use of 2.2 Dicor as well.

We may think of another option as well -- if the 1.9 JTD comes in New gen Safari. It could happen that Aria could take over current Safari's position and then the new gen Safari might be launched one segment higher [15-20 lakhs bracket?] Then they will have a new product which can compete with New mahindra world SUV + Endeavor, Captiva etc ! But if this is the plan, i think TATA better get their act together and provide a high quality vehicle. Looking at the leap that they have made with the recent products, its nothing IMpossible for TATA. Lets see what they are upto.

Having a new engine would definitely distinguish the product from rest as well - but will that be so expensive given that they have the Fiat alliance and licenses to their engines?
Old 17th August 2010, 10:53   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

@swiftnfurious:

Yes, we can speculate all the possible permutations. However, I was referring to the "I know someone who knows someone logic"..

If you read the various threads on this subject. The next Gen Safari is not even on the drawing boards. There is a face lift version which has been caught testing.

The 2.2 is not yet launched, and I don't think they will steal the thunder by launching an all new Safari for a couple of years after the 2.2 launch, so all this speculation can be revived three or four years down the down. As it stands, I will gurantee you that Tata will not put their own 2.2 in their most expensive product and have the cheaper safari come with the 1.9 Multi Jet.
Old 17th August 2010, 10:59   #251
Senior - BHPian

Can't agree with 4x4addict, DicKy & swiftnfurious, as everyone has put up a valid point (one way or other).

The 2.2 Dicor engine is now being fine tuned & probably has began showing its true colours (after the initial niggles). Why should Tata put the Fiat 1.9 TT MJD in the Safari in India? Especially when they will be paying premium to Fiat for the new engine; & the new engine will be smaller that the existing engine (I have heard many people complaining about the Tata's 2L TCIC as being underpowered for the heavy vehicle).

IMO it could be meant for Europe with more stricter emission norms, but, not for India in the short run.
Old 17th August 2010, 11:34   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you read the various threads on this subject. The next Gen Safari is not even on the drawing boards. There is a face lift version which has been caught testing.
Ahh! I didnt know this part and was thinking some one actually caught the new gen Safari testing. Now this is what I will call real speculation.

Quote:
The 2.2 is not yet launched, and I don't think they will steal the thunder by launching an all new Safari for a couple of years after the 2.2 launch, so all this speculation can be revived three or four years down the down. As it stands, I will gurantee you that Tata will not put their own 2.2 in their most expensive product and have the cheaper safari come with the 1.9 Multi Jet.
I am confused ! 2.2 is not launched? What we have on the current Safari is 2.2 VTT right? Did you mean to say that Tata will not put the 2.2 in their expensive product? But the Aria pre-production car is confirmed to have the 2.2 Dicor. Also is there any major problem with the 2.2 engine for the Tata to decide against plonking it in expensive cars -- if you meant it right?
Old 17th August 2010, 11:55   #253
Senior - BHPian

170bhp, six speed

I remember someone saying if its six speed, then its 170bhp.
Is this true India's richest man?
Old 17th August 2010, 15:28   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

I meant the Aria is not yet launched, not the 2.2. sorry for the confusion.
Old 17th August 2010, 15:45   #255
BHPian

1.9L sounds interesting with either 150ps or 170ps.

But you know my heart will always fall for a higher cc engine even if it produces same power...Its my own way of thinking and nothing to do with refinement, power, NVH or anything,

3L to me sounds more interesting that 2.2L then 1.9,

I loved it immediately when initially on this thread I heard of 3L 170 bhp...that sounds like more muscle :-) again just a personal liking

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks