Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2010, 10:53   #331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
ROTFL - the LR Discovery looks ugly to you ?
yes buddy, i hate the Discovery! every heard of beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder?

what i meant was if the new safari looks anything close to this, it would be a waste.
Old 28th October 2010, 11:18   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
Moving the spare wheel beneath the belly.. Would it result in reduced GC and cramped interiors?
It's mostly to do with rear visibility and in Tata's case ,a poor attempt to solve the problem of rattling tailgates,in part due to heavy tyre,also ease of opening and closing of the tailgate.
It also have to do with the aesthetics but in IMO, SUV looks best with a tailgate mounted spare.
But here Tata seems to trade it with a more urbane look and a shopping-mall friendly attitude.
psss... Anyone try removing a spare tyre from the underbody?
It's
Old 28th October 2010, 12:06   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

From the Car wale pics, I can see a lot of resemblance between the sumo victa and this front end. To give the safari LR, RR' looks, TATA should not end up actually making the safari look like Sumo victa.

Hope they do a better job of this.
Old 28th October 2010, 12:18   #334
Senior - BHPian

I may be the odd one out hee, but I think that this look, if this really is the facelifted safari, wouldactually look good at least head on. the squared off lins give it even more of a macho look- remains to be seen what the final version looks like.
Old 28th October 2010, 16:53   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
I may be the odd one out hee, but I think that this look, if this really is the facelifted safari, wouldactually look good at least head on.
Oh, I don't think you're the odd one out at all - in fact, I quite like it myself. I would hate it if it looked like one of the current gen of soft-roaders, that's what I'm praying they won't do.

But the point is, are they actually going to make their QC as bullet proof as Ratan Tata says it will be???? Otherwise, all the macho & good looks would be of no use.
Old 28th October 2010, 16:55   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Just came across the Safari pictures in carwale. Though they are photoshopped, I like the effort. With some work in the rear this could do well. I do feel that it looks more like FJ Cruiser than Land Rover
The designs and the attempt seems very hard to digest. Quite an amateurish effort. If one considers the probable designs beneath the veils as in scoops from BSM and Motoroids, this one looks absolutely out of place. We can take some clues from the visible parts of headlamps and the overall shape of body veil and fogs shapes in the scoops, and they certainly appear distinctly different from the body shape, headlamps and fogs visible here.

Last edited by parsh : 28th October 2010 at 16:56.
Old 28th October 2010, 16:55   #337
BHPian

Can that 'displayed' 3 liter unit really be used in the safari??

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1674348

Hey Guys
I'm just posting the link to the 3 liter engine which was displayed in Auto Expo once again for the benefit of all those who missed it. I could notice that the peak torque rated at 470 Nm suggests that the engine is probably a long stroke unit redlining at 3000 rpm(though the peak rpm was not shown in the specs). The question now is , would Tatas use an engine redlining at 3000rpm in an SUV. Secondly isn't 470 Nm a bit of an overkill considering the fact that it is an SUV that we're talking about and not a pick up in the true heavy duty F series lineage.
Your suggestions and views please ...........and correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 28th October 2010, 17:06   #338
Senior - BHPian

Other than a face-lift (redone headlamps, grille and bumper), revised seating arrangement and relocating the spare wheel I dont think a lot is going to change on the existing Safari. It has to be priced lower to make space for a model (Safari on X2 platform) between itself and the Aria, so no use spending a lot on a redo.

I'm happy that Tata has decided to take the rear wheel out of the tailgate and mount it underneath, finally somebody is moving out of the 80s design themes. I hope they also remove that excessive side plastic cladding, other than the wheel arches it looks better when rest of the car has a more minimalist approach.

Tata & Mahindra SUVs need to maintain a more lean and muscular profile rather than look like something out of a 10 year olds drawing board. Hoping the next generation models leave these retro design ideas behind.
Old 28th October 2010, 17:06   #339
BHPian

Looks quite ugly;
hope this is not the final version and if it is, don't call it safari ( for heavens Sake.)
Old 28th October 2010, 19:35   #340
Senior - BHPian

Imagine a safari like this without a spare wheel. This is of course a heavy security vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP Pics: Next Generation Tata Safari(Pg 8 for new pics)-photo1301.jpg  

Old 29th October 2010, 12:36   #341
BHPian

Where is the smiley corporate grille of tata motors? may be the photoshop person needs to consider this.
Why can't we start a new all together - What we want from new Safari? People can put suggestions on looks, features, etc. I am sure TM guys will have look at this thread.
@ GTO - if the idea is good enough can we have such a thread?
Old 29th October 2010, 13:22   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Where is the smiley corporate grille of tata motors? may be the photoshop person needs to consider this.
Why can't we start a new all together - What we want from new Safari? People can put suggestions on looks, features, etc. I am sure TM guys will have look at this thread.
@ GTO - if the idea is good enough can we have such a thread?
I second thought presented by the VTEC guy. I don't know of TM guys will consider this but, atleast we can see ourselves at Team-BHP chipping in with thoughts for the ideal Indian SUV.
Old 29th October 2010, 13:55   #343
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE40 in veins View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1674348

Hey Guys
I'm just posting the link to the 3 liter engine which was displayed in Auto Expo once again for the benefit of all those who missed it. I could notice that the peak torque rated at 470 Nm suggests that the engine is probably a long stroke unit redlining at 3000 rpm(though the peak rpm was not shown in the specs). The question now is , would Tatas use an engine redlining at 3000rpm in an SUV. Secondly isn't 470 Nm a bit of an overkill considering the fact that it is an SUV that we're talking about and not a pick up in the true heavy duty F series lineage.
Thats an engine that they are working on for their entry level trucks, not for the Safari

They are reported to be working on a version of the 2.2 ltr. Dicor block extended to 3.0 Ltrs with the same characteristics and increased power, but this is not that one.
Old 29th October 2010, 14:48   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
yes buddy, i hate the Discovery! every heard of beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder?

what i meant was if the new safari looks anything close to this, it would be a waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Imagine a safari like this without a spare wheel. This is of course a heavy security vehicle.
Its like a Bullet without the thump
Old 30th October 2010, 03:37   #345
BHPian

TML is coming out with

1) New Victa
2) Updated Grande
3) New Safari

Here is an excerpt from NDTV profit about TML's UV plans

Quote:
Tata Motors is set to offer utility vehicles at every price point right from Rs. 6.5 lakh to Rs. 15 lakh. Sources say the company intends to launch next gen Safari called Safari 18 internally by January-February 2011 at a price of Rs. 8.5-12.5 lakh.
It will be positioned between the existing Safari and recently launched Aria and co-exist with the current Safari.
The company is also working on refreshed Sumo Victa for the transport segment, which will be launched in six months and it is also tweaking the new Grande Mark II to boost volumes.
When contacted, Tata Motors spokesperson told NDTV, "The company has ambitious targets for its UVs, but we cannot share numbers."
[COLOR=#000000]

Read more at: Tata Motors changes gear in SUV segment - NDTV Profit[/COLOR]
The actual article could be accessed here - Tata Motors changes gear in SUV segment - NDTV Profit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks