Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2010, 13:16   #91
BANNED

193 bhp in a Safari? Serious??
Old 29th January 2010, 15:19   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapss View Post
This is gud news. Grande MK II with ABS. Did the TML folks talk abt a new version?
Gadgets?? What kind? Please elaborate.
Sorry Kapss -- it was late in the night and also quite dark where they had stopped. On the inside of each vehicle there were 2 folks with laptops and there were other instruments which i could not identify ( since it was the first time i saw a vehicle this way). The ABS and airbags as mentioned would be an add on option rather than a new version.
Old 29th January 2010, 21:54   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbhatt View Post
The ABS and airbags as mentioned would be an add on option rather than a new version.
Thats a good move by Tata. ABS on vehicle of this size is pretty much a necessity. You can live with bad plastics, but you definitely require good ride dynamics and braking. They addressed the first two with the MK II, and now with ABS, it shud be a gud option. Hope they provide ABS even on the lower variants.
Old 29th January 2010, 22:25   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

@aslambhai, neither the pics you posted nor your posts have any supporting information about the rpm at which these power /torque figures are being achieved. The bhp/liter and torque/liter you have mentioned are theoritical at this point, and can be applicable to any application.

Suggest we revert back to the other points being discussed, till such time we have more information on the engine /GB of the new Safari
Old 29th January 2010, 23:52   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@aslambhai:

Read through the Auto Expo thread it. The models that will carry this engine has already been displayed.
Old 30th January 2010, 07:36   #96
BHPian

This mule looks like tatas are creating a vista for safari.They would carry the same design in a modern appeal which cant be bad as safari was a good looking vehicle.
Old 1st February 2010, 12:48   #97
BHPian

Update -- saw the same covered up Safari with a non -Safarish front on Sunday afternoon. I was driving and could not take any snaps. This was near Kalewadi Phata in Pimpri. I was at a shop later on and the vehicle passed by atleast on 2 more instances.
Old 9th February 2010, 11:41   #98
BHPian

I am left a bit confused now. Just yesterday I saw the camouflaged Tata Safari 201x and it looked like a vehicle pretty close to launch. Why did TATA launch a 2010 spec Safari when they already have a new version almost ready. As some people have suggested, it seems that Tata would be concentrating on establishing Aria and they don't intend to launch this new Safari for atleast an year.

Now, about the camouflaged Safari I saw. The front looks like a lift from Land Rover Freelander or Grand Vitara. I am talking about the straight front face and the flat bonnet. And it felt like the bonnet has also been lowered a bit. The headlights are swooped back and it gave a feeling of something like SX4 (not in terms of the dimensions of headlight cluster but in terms of swooping nature). How do I know? Because it was night and headlights were turned on and I could make out the swooping nature through the camouflage. The rear isn't changed except for the fact that the rear wheel was no longer there.

One thing which was pretty clear though was this is a major face-lift and not a completely new next generation Safari.

Last edited by aslambhai : 9th February 2010 at 11:43.
Old 9th February 2010, 12:37   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@aslambhai:

There is a face lifted version due for a launch soon. The 2010 update was mostly for BSIV compliance and some minor cosmetic changes. The face lift is pretty much that based on the current power train and mechanicals with some cosmetic and sheet metal changes. The next generation (new platform) safari is many years away.
Old 9th February 2010, 15:09   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@aslambhai:
There is a face lifted version due for a launch soon...
2010 Safari has already been launched with minor interior and exterior changes. If a new face lifted version is due for launch soon, why would TATA launch 2010 model safari? why not just make it Euro IV compatible and leave everything else same?
The question now boils down to "How soon is 'soon'?". Though this vehicle definitely felt like it was close to launch, I don't think TATA is going to launch it anytime 'soon'. Last quarter of this calendar year seems to be the most likely time period when we can expect this camouflaged version to see daylight as 2011 Safari.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The next generation (new platform) safari is many years away.
yeah. that is something which even i have mentioned. from how the camouflaged version looked like, i felt that it is just a major face lift and not a next generation vehicle.
Old 9th February 2010, 16:57   #101
BHPian

found an interesting link on the new safari

2010 Tata Safari spied | Globalmotors.net

By the looks of it this seems to be heading the fortuner way but somehow lacking the butch looks of the fortuner. It is more inclined towards the innova or the xylo. Whatever it is, I feel the current safari is far better looking than this one.
Old 9th February 2010, 17:08   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
found an interesting link on the new safari

2010 Tata Safari spied | Globalmotors.net

By the looks of it this seems to be heading the fortuner way but somehow lacking the butch looks of the fortuner. It is more inclined towards the innova or the xylo. Whatever it is, I feel the current safari is far better looking than this one.
This is the Aria, and it was revealed at the Auto Expo.
Old 9th February 2010, 17:59   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This is the Aria, and it was revealed at the Auto Expo.
But the bonnet area doesnt seem like that of the aria. Also was the aria meant as the 2010 safari or are we talking about an all new vehicle all together, or is it just the facelifted safari that is being discussed in this thread.
Old 9th February 2010, 18:10   #104
Team-BHP Support

Aria is a different vehicle altogether. This is an old version.
The 2010 safari is launched, and only difference is some chrome and a watercooled EGR. There is a thread on that car with pics.
This thread is for the facelifted safari(major cosmetic changes).
Changes include(but not limited 2)
1. Twin Exhausts
2. Swoopy endeavor like headlights
3. New Grill
4. A 12L or so version with 3.0 liter 190bhp engine 4x4(A la Ford Endeavor 3.0 with 4x4)

However whats not clear is that will Tata discontinue 4x4 in the 2.2 variant or not.
The 3 liter safari will be developed to be midway between Aria and Safari
Old 10th February 2010, 16:39   #105
BHPian

Hi,
Thanks for the update... I have been wanting some concerete solution to this mystery vehicle. I have spoken to some reliable sources here in the tata motors office in gurgaon, they say that there are absolutely no plans of launching the next generation safari and like you have mentioned that they are more keen on concentrating on the Aria as of now. Once Aria gets a foothold in the market only then will they focus on the safari.

But the fact is that Safari is the only vehicle left from the Tata Motors stable which has gone without a major facelift for many years and it still is selling like hot cakes. Also i just got a call from a dealer whom i had requested for a test drive of the new safari 2010 (ref: Chrome Grill), i am quite confused now as they say that they have no idea about this vehicle and they are still selling the same old version (Beige Interiors) to customers as 2010 model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslambhai View Post
2010 Safari has already been launched with minor interior and exterior changes. If a new face lifted version is due for launch soon, why would TATA launch 2010 model safari? why not just make it Euro IV compatible and leave everything else same?
The question now boils down to "How soon is 'soon'?". Though this vehicle definitely felt like it was close to launch, I don't think TATA is going to launch it anytime 'soon'. Last quarter of this calendar year seems to be the most likely time period when we can expect this camouflaged version to see daylight as 2011 Safari.

yeah. that is something which even i have mentioned. from how the camouflaged version looked like, i felt that it is just a major face lift and not a next generation vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks