Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2010, 17:21   #166
R_R
BHPian

This appears to be the same test vehicle as that on p. 8 in this thread. And the general size, shape etc appear to be the same as the current Safari (eg., windshield, ORVM, tyres etc). The changes as far as I can make out seem to be the headlights and front indicators, and of course, the spare tyre has been removed from the back door (this could be because it is test vehicle but the fact that different spy photos at different times from at least two different sources show the 'missing' spare tyre on the back door suggest that this is a modification).

More likely, there might be changes to the interiors (speculation alert please!!) The reason I am saying this is that the fifth spy photo on p. 8 in which you get a dim view of the top of the dashboard through the front left passenger window seems to show a different design than the current Safari. It may be just my imagination or a play of light, but I seem to see a centre pod (center instrument cluster pod like the Nano?) in that photo. Anyone else see this, or is it time for another eye-check?
Old 14th April 2010, 20:59   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaranand View Post
BS Motoring carries an article on this today.

Says it will be based on the Aria platform. Any idea on launch dates?

See the entire article here:

Spied! 2011 Tata Safari
The rims seem 17inch on this Safari will have similar gearing as aria visa vi gearbox and 2.2 dicor engine being remapped for BSIV. I suppose this follows Aria 17inch setup something tells me the engine may be pepped up requiring to switch to 17's from 16

Last edited by canonball : 14th April 2010 at 21:00.
Old 14th April 2010, 23:27   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@cannonball: I doubht engine pepping has to do with 17 inch wheels. I feel it is just astehtics as I don't think the current Safari platform can handle much higher horsepower.
Old 15th April 2010, 15:34   #169
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

We do need to note that the powertrain on the Aria which is touted to be used in the New Safari as well is different from that on the current Aria. Infact there are mentions of the Aria having a DSG which is low on NVH and wt compared to the current setup.
Old 15th April 2010, 15:48   #170
BHPian

However overall, looking at the body contours and the overall dimensions, it doesn't seem significantly different from the existing Safari. I would hate to see a facelift of the existing Safari instead of an all new platform.
Old 15th April 2010, 16:36   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@cannonball: I doubht engine pepping has to do with 17 inch wheels. I feel it is just astehtics as I don't think the current Safari platform can handle much higher horsepower.
4X4 trust me wheels change diameter at manufacturers end only if gearing is changed and normally gearing is changed either if the engine is belting out more on the same platform or the gearbox ratios and final drive have been changed and TATA's follow this global rule to the T. My safari was called to Tata's private garage few years ago as they had proposed changing the gearing in the rear diff and they gave me an option either improve takeoff or stay with old setup for better top speed. During this visit and in my several interactions with folks at tata and tire companies I was told that with the safari especially you could only change rim diameter if above mentioned parameters changed as she was somewhat sensitive not to mention this is also a practice with most car makers all over. If you recall the size went from 15 to 16 in Safari/Scorpio with the launch of the 2.2 engines belting out more power.

I suspect either engine power output is up or gearbox ratio's and final drive have been changed thus prompting 16 to 17 and not asthetic's

Last edited by canonball : 15th April 2010 at 16:52.
Old 15th April 2010, 16:57   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
If you recall the size went from 15 to 16 in Safari/Scorpio with the launch of the 2.2 engines belting out more power.
The rim size changed but the overall diameter remained almost the same since the aspect ratio was reduced from 75 to 70 in both the cases. Incidentally, in the case of Safari, the switchover occured when DiCOR 3L was launched. The switch over to 16 inch rim and lower profile tyres was probably to improve vehicle dynamics rather than engine power although it had gone up too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
I suspect either engine power output is up or gearbox ratio's and final drive have been changed this prompting 16 to 17 and just asthetic's
As explained above, one can't conclude definitely.
Old 15th April 2010, 18:27   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@cannonball:

Drive ratio only matters when overall diameter changes. As directinjection pointed out the the Scorpio/Safari kept the same over all diameter by decreasing the aspect ration of the tire. The main reason why performance cars have higher rims is cause the larger the side wall the poorer the handling. hence for best handling you need large rims and low profile tires. For SUVs it mostly has to do with Aesthetics than outright performance.
Old 15th April 2010, 19:20   #174
Senior - BHPian

The still haven't managed to conceal those protruding vipers. Im dead sure they havent done anything to reduce the wind noise post 100kph either.
Someone please wake them up.
Old 16th April 2010, 10:58   #175
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

17" seems to be becoming the norm now with the fortuner going that way first in India. So Safari and Aria will follow that soon.

It would help handling and looks, but unless there is a change to the external radius it is no indicator of power or drive train change.

That said the Aria is supposed to come with DSG - which should manifest itself in the Safari as well - indicative of a drive train change.
Old 16th April 2010, 14:59   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
17" seems to be becoming the norm now with the fortuner going that way first in India. So Safari and Aria will follow that soon.

It would help handling and looks, but unless there is a change to the external radius it is no indicator of power or drive train change.

That said the Aria is supposed to come with DSG - which should manifest itself in the Safari as well - indicative of a drive train change.
17" sounds great and looks great. They even perform great esp. on 4x4s. The only thing though is, you will know that 17" is really big when you go to the tyre store to change the tyres.
Old 16th April 2010, 18:10   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

DSG = auto transmission? wow that is great if the case. where did you get this when I checked was told no thinking about auto's inside Tata.

So taking all your points size of wheels did increase with power = for more stability and just not show? if so my first post stands vindicated = power increase
Old 16th April 2010, 20:30   #178
BHPian

I think what tata actually needs is the original safari looks but fit and finish of a pajero or (for that matter any rs10 lakh car). If this new model has that kind of fit and finish at the same price point as the current safari then i bet this vehicle would be a runaway hit from the day one.
Old 16th April 2010, 20:48   #179
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill22g View Post
I think what tata actually needs is the original safari looks but fit and finish of a pajero or (for that matter any rs10 lakh car).
Any Rs.10 lakh car? I would go further. I think my 2003 Indica has better fit and finish. Can't understand why Tata is'nt getting the Indica/Indigo/Manza interior designers do the interiors for the Safari. Just test drove two new Safaris and can't believe they have the same ridiculously crude interior door locks still. But I have to say nevertheless that there has been some improvement in the plastics, especially on the door panels.
Old 16th April 2010, 21:36   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaranand View Post
BS Motoring carries an article on this today.

Says it will be based on the Aria platform. Any idea on launch dates?

See the entire article here:

Spied! 2011 Tata Safari
The front windscreen doesnt excite.

Most Viewed