Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2010, 21:47   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
The front windscreen doesnt excite.
EXCITE !! How would you expect it to EXCITE ??
Old 16th April 2010, 22:03   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
EXCITE !! How would you expect it to EXCITE ??
Well the windscreen and A pillar always shows the design characterstics and here it doesnt prmise much. Looks very much like the older generation.
Old 17th April 2010, 22:51   #183
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
We do need to note that the powertrain on the Aria which is touted to be used in the New Safari as well is different from that on the current Aria. Infact there are mentions of the Aria having a DSG which is low on NVH and wt compared to the current setup.
Dual clutch? Ohhhh.....please no, Tata. Their cars anyways have a fair share of niggles and problems. DSG gearboxes are complex units and even VW still hasn't figured out how to make them consistently reliable. Then, there's the question of the capability of Tata service centers in maintaining / repairing them.

Someone should go and tell Tata to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). There's something to learn from the Fortuner's success : No unnecessary gizmos, no bells & whistles, still sufficiently modern. A Pure SUV that's reliable, spacious, powerful and rather well-rounded.
Old 18th April 2010, 02:57   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
Well the windscreen and A pillar always shows the design characterstics and here it doesnt prmise much. Looks very much like the older generation.
Well, teambhp rules prohibit me from saying it the way I would like to, so I just have to say that this statement is absolutely false.

The A-pillar and the windscreen just CANNOT show design characteristic. All it can do, is be at an angle, so for a sports car a lower angle, an SUV ahigher angle; that's just about it.

Last edited by Amartya : 18th April 2010 at 02:59.
Old 18th April 2010, 07:09   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Dual clutch? Ohhhh.....please no, Tata. Their cars anyways have a fair share of niggles and problems. DSG gearboxes are complex units and even VW still hasn't figured out how to make them consistently reliable. Then, there's the question of the capability of Tata service centers in maintaining / repairing them.

Someone should go and tell Tata to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). There's something to learn from the Fortuner's success : No unnecessary gizmos, no bells & whistles, still sufficiently modern. A Pure SUV that's reliable, spacious, powerful and rather well-rounded.
Even with Jaguar & Land Rover under their belt ?
I hope (hope only) they can successfully implement more sophistication in their dream projects

cheers
Old 18th April 2010, 07:36   #186
R_R
BHPian

I am with GTO here: the less gizmos, the better, especially from Indian manufacturers. But since Tata will want to sell this in developed markets, I suspect that they need to keep up with the Joneses. Just hope that they can build something simpler for the developing markets. And of course, they need to pay greater attention to the interiors etc.
Old 18th April 2010, 12:19   #187
BHPian

More gizmos=More Sensor=More Wiring=More Complexity=More Electrical problem.

Its always better to have stay away with un-necessary feature of a car which people use once in a blue moon
Old 18th April 2010, 13:02   #188
BHPian

Hmmm well after seeing the scoop pics I am really confused. Well, judging from tata's recent steps, it feels they would give safari a total make over which is exciting, but from scoop pics it feels it seems pretty much similar vehicle as older safari, which is sad. I really hope they do something like they did to sumo. After all it's our (indian) first SUV.
I remember some PC game developers featured safari in their game (Master rally - 4x4 off road rally game) against SUVs like toyota, land rovers, ford etc.
BTW, I wonder why our scoop king hasn't posted anything on this thread, sid are you listening?
Old 18th April 2010, 14:46   #189
Senior - BHPian

I think the current Australian autobox doing duty in Scorpio is a perfect start for tata it is already programmed for the same 2.2 engine and is available off the shelf. Also been used in Sangyong cars and as I understand is a Mercedes unit/used by MB as well. That would be start to give Auto hungry and growing tribe of indian customers what they want
Old 18th April 2010, 14:57   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
I think the current Australian autobox doing duty in Scorpio is a perfect start for tata it is already programmed for the same 2.2 engine and is available off the shelf. Also been used in Sangyong cars and as I understand is a Mercedes unit/used by MB as well. That would be start to give Auto hungry and growing tribe of indian customers what they want
I have a reason to doubt the autobox doing duty in the Scorpio i.e extended warranty not being offered in automatic scorpio.
Old 18th April 2010, 14:58   #191
Senior - BHPian

I hope the tbhp scoop artists get a hold of interior pics of the updated Safari. Considering that they do get so close to the car, why not grab a pic of the dashboard. Easy for me to say this sitting on my couch.

Honestly I dont think that the Safari is really outdated looking on the outside. With a decent facelift the design is still strong enough compared to competition in the Indian market. Where they really need to up the game is the interiors, despite the regular updates as per Tata's DECADE long development scheme that interior is not suitable for anything above 5 lacs let alone a 10 lac SUV.

Also kindly shed a lot of that unnecessary weight.

If Tata can pull these improvements of, they will have a great comeback to the Indian UV market. The March sales have shown that the Sumo has really upped its nos. despite a horrible start and now with the updated Safari and the new Aria, Tata has a really envious UV portfolio.

Last edited by shortbread : 18th April 2010 at 15:02. Reason: Additional comments
Old 18th April 2010, 21:03   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
More gizmos=More Sensor=More Wiring=More Complexity=More Electrical problem.

Its always better to have stay away with un-necessary feature of a car which people use once in a blue moon
More gizmos are not a problem as long as the customer has the option to pick and choose. I hope TATA comes with a "Build your own" feature for ARIA. It would be a first in india and would also help them in the international markets where they want to sell ARIA
Old 18th April 2010, 21:16   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
The A-pillar and the windscreen just CANNOT show design characteristic. All it can do, is be at an angle, so for a sports car a lower angle, an SUV ahigher angle; that's just about it.
Actually they can.Blacked out A-Pillars suggests a fighter jet canopy styled glasshouse. Front engined sports cars (as in front of the passenger compartment) like the Viper,SLR McLaren and 599 have higher angled windscreens comapred to mid-engined Gallardos,Murcielagos and MP4-12Cs. So its not necessary that a sports car will always have steeply raked windscreens!
Old 18th April 2010, 23:43   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Actually they can.Blacked out A-Pillars suggests a fighter jet canopy styled glasshouse. Front engined sports cars (as in front of the passenger compartment) like the Viper,SLR McLaren and 599 have higher angled windscreens comapred to mid-engined Gallardos,Murcielagos and MP4-12Cs. So its not necessary that a sports car will always have steeply raked windscreens!
You got me there . I also appreciate the point about the mid-engined and front engined cars having differently raked windscreens because of the engineering involved. Good point.

In the grand scheme of things, just the A-pillar and the windscreen (not the whole canopy, as in the roof and rear windscreen) doesn't do much, does it (unless you have those Volvo's with cuts in the A-pillar that houses glass in order to reduce blindspots)?
Old 19th April 2010, 12:04   #195
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,
Any speculations on the launch(date) of this new SUV??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks