Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2010, 17:49   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
More gizmos are not a problem as long as the customer has the option to pick and choose. I hope TATA comes with a "Build your own" feature for ARIA. It would be a first in india and would also help them in the international markets where they want to sell ARIA
I doubt if Tata or any other manufacurer in India would come out with "Build your own" model for cars as it is really difficult to maintain the inventory for so many variants. Infact, here manufacturers are keeping models as less as possible - typically 3.
Old 20th April 2010, 00:08   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyurshah View Post
I doubt if Tata or any other manufacurer in India would come out with "Build your own" model for cars as it is really difficult to maintain the inventory for so many variants. Infact, here manufacturers are keeping models as less as possible - typically 3.
Yes,and moreover this kind of a feature won't be manageable on mass produced cars like the Aria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
In the grand scheme of things, just the A-pillar and the windscreen (not the whole canopy, as in the roof and rear windscreen) doesn't do much, does it (unless you have those Volvo's with cuts in the A-pillar that houses glass in order to reduce blindspots)?
If we're just talking about the windscreen and the A-pillar,it really very tough to identify the type of car by those parameters only. You see,front engined cab forward designs like the Civic have more steeply raked windscreens than a mid-engined coupe like,say the Ferrari F430,which contradicts my earlier post!

Sorry for going OT.
Old 21st April 2010, 15:39   #198

This New Safari might have received some highlights from Range Rover. TATA should make best use of the opportunity from JLR group so that it can take forward their entire vehicles forward to Next Generation models in all aspects. Following are the changes expected in this face lifted model(From SPY pictures),
* Front Facia will be changed as I have highlightd in the picture attached.
* Rear wheel integrated nicely in under body.
* Refreshed interiors.
Dial and Display is definitly not in center console which is not Good in looks.
Expected Goodies are,
* Steering mount controls
* Dual tone Interiors as standard
* Climate control
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP Pics: Next Generation Tata Safari(Pg 8 for new pics)-safari.jpg  

Old 21st April 2010, 18:36   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgunasek View Post
This New Safari might have received some highlights from Range Rover. TATA should make best use of the opportunity from JLR group so that it can take forward their entire vehicles forward to Next Generation models in all aspects. Following are the changes expected in this face lifted model(From SPY pictures),
* Front Facia will be changed as I have highlightd in the picture attached.
* Rear wheel integrated nicely in under body.
* Refreshed interiors.
Dial and Display is definitly not in center console which is not Good in looks.
Expected Goodies are,
* Steering mount controls
* Dual tone Interiors as standard
* Climate control
In fact, I was also thinking in the same lines ever since these pictures have emerged.
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:30   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
In fact, I was also thinking in the same lines ever since these pictures have emerged.
+1. Ditto. I was thinking of exactly the same thing. Infact the orangish side light is the most starking similarity.

One of my relatives working in TA-MO mentions, that TA-MO has now formed an elite group of engineers from across TA-MO, JLR and Daewoo, and this group is responsible for final design, prototype, assembly line QC and approving the new models. No new car can go out to market without these groups approval. IMO, makes immense sense and perhaps explains why Aria and the New Safari is taking so long for hitting the road.
Old 22nd April 2010, 18:12   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1. Ditto. I was thinking of exactly the same thing. Infact the orangish side light is the most starking similarity.

One of my relatives working in TA-MO mentions, that TA-MO has now formed an elite group of engineers from across TA-MO, JLR and Daewoo, and this group is responsible for final design, prototype, assembly line QC and approving the new models. No new car can go out to market without these groups approval. IMO, makes immense sense and perhaps explains why Aria and the New Safari is taking so long for hitting the road.
Have a look at the 2010 Jaguar XJ's tail light, & it appears to be the as that was in Tata Prima concept. They definitely seem to be sharing senior engineers, product planners & designers.
Old 22nd April 2010, 22:04   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is really encouraging. This should directly improve their cars, great for us customers. Is there some way to guess the size of the team?
Old 23rd April 2010, 00:06   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
This is really encouraging. This should directly improve their cars, great for us customers. Is there some way to guess the size of the team?
Perhaps no, unless we have someone directly from there informing us. All my relative told me was that such a team exists and are doing some really good work.
Old 23rd April 2010, 08:56   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

The acquisition of JLR by TATA can do good for them over a longer term.

TATA in my view should incorporate the bits and pieces of desgin from the LR in the SUV line up. Also ensure the minor niggles are ironed out on the production line itself rather than at the service center. TATA is on an upward trend, they will be a very strong player atleast in India.
Old 23rd April 2010, 09:15   #205
BHPian

Save your energies folks. The circular headlamp and the orange indicators convey a grand total of nothing. These are just individual lamps, used for functional purpose and placed in the headlamp cavity while the headlamp assembly is being developed. This is the standdard procedure for all new vehicles. The first running prototypes almost never feature the head and tail lamps.
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:36   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
Save your energies folks. The circular headlamp and the orange indicators convey a grand total of nothing. These are just individual lamps, used for functional purpose and placed in the headlamp cavity while the headlamp assembly is being developed. This is the standdard procedure for all new vehicles. The first running prototypes almost never feature the head and tail lamps.

The fog lamps mounted on the bumper seem to be similar to that of the xiisting model though.
Old 23rd April 2010, 13:48   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
That's what I had initially thought,but in that case aren't the purely functional circular lamps placed outside the whole camouflage,just like add-on bits?

You are probably right,because the rather straightforward old-school headlamps and indicators indeed look purely functional. And moreover plain-Jane round orange indicator lenses like that do not exist in vehicle design glossary today.
Old 23rd April 2010, 15:46   #208
Senior - BHPian

I would be more happy! if TATA puts the SAFARI BRAND to its end and comes with a new brand name for this SUV.
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:58   #209
Senior - BHPian

Changing the brand name would be a bad idea. Despite its initial niggles the Safari has strong following, owners and otherwise. Considering that it sells in the range of 10 lacs despite being branded Tata goes to show how much oull the brand 'Safari' has.
Old 23rd April 2010, 18:38   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I would be more happy! if TATA puts the SAFARI BRAND to its end and comes with a new brand name for this SUV.
I would be disastrous I feel. The emotions running on my mind when I read this line was as if someone wants to KILL it. Tatas please don't. We all love it very much.

Most Viewed