Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2010, 15:47   #256
BHPian

Well even if TATA uses 1.9JTD in the safari, the 2.2 can always be used on the Xenon, or the Sumo etc. Considering the current safari and aria, the aria does seem like an important product in comparision to the safari, but you can never know what kind of benchmarks would TATA have set for the new safari right???
Old 17th August 2010, 18:43   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Well even if TATA uses 1.9JTD in the safari, the 2.2 can always be used on the Xenon, or the Sumo etc. Considering the current safari and aria, the aria does seem like an important product in comparision to the safari, but you can never know what kind of benchmarks would TATA have set for the new safari right???
Seeing bells and whistles and price tag it is most important vehcle till Safri 2011 or 2012 is launched. I heard from multiple reliable sources price tag of 12 to 15 lakh for various varients ex-showroom.
Old 17th August 2010, 22:57   #258
Senior - BHPian

The 1.9 JTD is to Europe what the 1.3 is in India, its used by 8 different brands from the Grande Punto to the Caddy BLS.

But I dont think that Tata needs the 1.9 JTD. The 2.2 Dicor is a successful engine and I believe it can develop more power. The issue is the existing G-76 gearbox cannot take anymore power. Heres a quote from Autocar UK when they did a write up about the Aria.

'One engine is available: a 140bhp, 2.2-litre, four-cylinder diesel coupled to a full-time four-wheel drive system. No official performance figures have been released, although it’s likely that for Europe, more power will be expected to improve the car’s performance.Tata is considering a 170bhp version, although this would require a new gearbox because the Aria’s five-speed manual cannot deal with that much power. There are no plans for a petrol engine.'

Ideally for Tata all they need to do would be to create a new gear box and juice more power from the 2.2 Dicor.
Old 18th August 2010, 05:47   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
1.9L sounds interesting with either 150ps or 170ps.

But you know my heart will always fall for a higher cc engine even if it produces same power...Its my own way of thinking and nothing to do with refinement, power, NVH or anything,

3L to me sounds more interesting that 2.2L then 1.9,

I loved it immediately when initially on this thread I heard of 3L 170 bhp...that sounds like more muscle :-) again just a personal liking
I agree and if I am right, the plan was to have 3L with 190bhp that would get us more power/weight ratio

Prem.
Old 18th August 2010, 12:29   #260
BHPian

The news of the new safari has been doing rounds for more than 6 months but nothing is concrete... is 2.2 VTT a good buy then or shud we wait for the new version or for heavy discounts on 2.2VTT before the new one comes in?
Old 18th August 2010, 13:05   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
The news of the new safari has been doing rounds for more than 6 months but nothing is concrete... is 2.2 VTT a good buy then or shud we wait for the new version or for heavy discounts on 2.2VTT before the new one comes in?
Looking at the cycle time of Aria spy-shots to Aria seen doing test-drives to availability for limited test drive the cycle time for new Safari would be at least 2.5 years and you need to wait till 2012.

I think after bad reputation due to first generation vehicles Tata Motors have become extra cautious and doing extensive test for new gen vehicles such as Aria ( more then 3 years) , Xenon ( close to 2 years) , Manza and Vista ( 3 years approx)

BTW : Yesterday I took a ride in Indicab from office to home , It had done 179000 KM on odo and there were no rattle or noise in cabin except the loud usual diesel engine noise. I asked driver it was running on original engine with no engine work done till now.
So 1st gen vehicles have improved over the years.
Old 18th August 2010, 16:27   #262
xPK
BHPian

OT

Pardon my ignorance, but is safari 3.0L DICOR still available? I was under impression that thought it was discontinued and 2.2 DICOR was launched, but today I stumbled upon this page Tata 4x2 LX DICOR BS-IV Technical Specifications - CarWale.com and then the all confusion.
Old 18th August 2010, 16:33   #263
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

XPK
Safari 3.0L is NOT available, it is an engine that has been phased out by TATA, a newer 3.0L variant of the 2.2 dicor is being worked upon (and will not be available for a while) but that is not based on the earlier 3.0L but as mentioned on the current 2.2L itself.

The Earlier Safari 3.0 Dicor was a temprorary solution that TATA had to give adequate power to it's flagship while they got the 2.2 ltr 140 bhp version ready.
Old 18th August 2010, 16:35   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPK View Post
OT

Pardon my ignorance, but is safari 3.0L DICOR still available? I was under impression that thought it was discontinued and 2.2 DICOR was launched, but today I stumbled upon this page Tata 4x2 LX DICOR BS-IV Technical Specifications - CarWale.com and then the all confusion.
Hi xPK

Carwale got wrong this time. 3L Dicor engine is no longer available, it the 2.2L 140 BHP that is available in 4 variants (LX, EX, GX & VX), with 4x4 option starting from EX onwards.

Suggest you refer the Tata Motors website.
Old 18th August 2010, 19:55   #265
BHPian

When is this car expected to be launched?

It will be interesting if it turns out to be a derivate of the Aria platform. Tatas very own Innova/fortuner combination at 75% the price?? sounds like music!
Old 20th August 2010, 07:29   #266
Senior - BHPian

Ok so whats new with Tata Safari ?

1. Was only supposed to be cosmetic change inside & outside
2. Now delayed further instead of 2010 launch
3. Would be made on ARIA chassis, therefore no longer a cosmetic change, the underpinnings of the car would as well drastically change.

Lens men, Do keep a tab on a LR looking Safari doing rounds on Mum Pune Nashik highways
Old 20th August 2010, 21:31   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
When is this car expected to be launched?

It will be interesting if it turns out to be a derivate of the Aria platform. Tatas very own Innova/fortuner combination at 75% the price?? sounds like music!
Going by recent reports the Aria would be launched somewhere around 15l so that will be like 125% the cost of the Innova.However Tata can balance that out by launching the new safari at 75% fortuner price.
Old 21st August 2010, 02:15   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Going by recent reports the Aria would be launched somewhere around 15l so that will be like 125% the cost of the Innova.However Tata can balance that out by launching the new safari at 75% fortuner price.
And who would buy a safari for 15 lakhs? I even doubt the sucess of aria if it wud be priced at the projected 13-15 lakhs. i fear more they try, higher the electronics and mechanicals, more failures.Undoubtedly the warranty from TATA is decent but who has got the time to get things right every now and then? Will they be improving upon areas like the turning radius as well?
If we can manage to get hold of the sales bifurcation for different variants of safari we should not be surprised to find majority sales coming from the base variants, which would probably help in defining how much the safari liking class is willing to spend for this machine and do they really want more loaded machine or its just the macho road presence.
Old 21st August 2010, 03:45   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Albatross. View Post
And who would buy a safari for 15 lakhs? I even doubt the sucess of aria if it wud be priced at the projected 13-15 lakhs. i fear more they try, higher the electronics and mechanicals, more failures.Undoubtedly the warranty from TATA is decent but who has got the time to get things right every now and then? Will they be improving upon areas like the turning radius as well?
If we can manage to get hold of the sales bifurcation for different variants of safari we should not be surprised to find majority sales coming from the base variants, which would probably help in defining how much the safari liking class is willing to spend for this machine and do they really want more loaded machine or its just the macho road presence.
Well first of all the new safari will be much much better than the existing safari. From a hardware, goodies and features standpoint IMO new safari should be better than the equipment levels in Fortuners, endy, etc. It would be nothing short of a poor man's landrover.

If all that happens then 15 lakhs would be a steal. And to get an idea about safari buyers you can start by searching in TBHP as in how many safari owners have 4X4 vehicles. You would be surprised to find more 4X4 safaris than the LX version.
Old 21st August 2010, 11:53   #270
Senior - BHPian

I do not think the new Safari would be priced that high (around INR 15 Lacs).

This would put it bang in Aria category, & sibling (stablemate) rivalry would be the last thing on mind for Tatas who would like to ensure that the Aria is a success. Yes the top-end version could be in the bracket, but the entry model will be little higher than the existing model (probably in INR 8-9 Lacs, as compared to INR 7.75 Lacs at present). Reasons are many, two of which I am listing below:
1. It would not be a full time AWD.
2. Power output would remain more or less the same, only the refinement would go up, as compared to Aria, which the Tatas would like to be the more powerful vehicle.
3. Tatas would always like to position this one below Aria.
4. Availability of 2wd option in variants (s).

The changes that I expect in the new Safari (& have been confirmed/ discussed after numerous sightings) are as under:
1. No rear door mounted Stepney, rather it would be mounted under the body like Grande, Scorpio & Xylo. The door rattles problem will be eradicated
2. Little lower GC, leading to even better ride, though not compromising with the 4x4 functionality.
3. Front fascia inspired from LR designs.
4. Front facing 3-row seating.

... & my wishlist:
1. Tighter Steering (present one is too light)
2. Gearbox same as Aria (new better one, not the present one Aria)
3. Lesser clutch play

Last edited by CARDEEP : 21st August 2010 at 11:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks