Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2005, 22:09   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Camry and Accord compete with Passat. Octavia II or the Laura supposed to compete with Civic and Corolla.
Exactly. It maybe a diesel, it may have the famed DSG but, it's still a C+ segment sized car.

14 lakhs would have been a more realistic pricetag.

Shan2nu
Old 26th November 2005, 22:40   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A bit off topic but amit could you just throw some light on how to operate the DSG gearbox?
Hey Dippy, there is nothing that the driver has to do to operate DSG. Just push it in D, S or tiptronic mode and drive normally. All that the driver has to do is enjoy the seamless shifting DSG.
Old 26th November 2005, 23:09   #48
BHPian

Now below are the prices and the specs of three different cars . All these cars are totally different as far as the looks , interior space ,size , segments and what not ...... But yet they are same(find out how...... and are competing with each other worldwide !

EDIT :
http://www.whatcar.com/RoadTest_Comp...currentsearch3

Last edited by Beemer : 26th November 2005 at 23:26.
Old 27th November 2005, 00:09   #49
Team-BHP Support

1.9L diesel
104bhp at 4000rpm
25.49kgm at 1900rpm

1350kg
Height : 1485mm
Length : 4572mm
Wheelbase : 2578mm

Front Legroom(max min) : 925mm 690mm
Rear legroom(max min) : 840 575
Front headroom : 945 Rear Headroom 940

Width 1769mm
Front track 1539 Rear Track 1528 GC 164mm Boot 560litres
Old 27th November 2005, 00:18   #50
Team-BHP Support

The stakes are changing. If you look at the Top Gear top 10
4th and 5th position are taken by Superb and Octavia, with Accord managing 7. Passat is languishing in 70s. So if it really is for 15L on road, it will sell, but add another 2L, you are better off getting an embra crdi
Old 27th November 2005, 00:48   #51
BHPian

Oops ... Seems like the link isnt working .... I 'll try some other .....

tsk1979 - Yes once the embera crdi is launched ,it may take some market share of Laura but i dont see that happening before 2007 and the embera crdi ll be atleast 1.5 lac expensive than the petrol !

But then again the crdi would take the price of Embera close to that of Laura or may be bit more and any day i would pick a Skoda over a Hyundai primarily because of the Low Depriciation .
Old 27th November 2005, 04:56   #52
BHPian

The Skoda is much cheaper than the VW's and the Hondas in the UK and elsewhere in the world. So it works out much better than value than the competition. You could get an Octavia at about the same price point as the current Civic (I think it would be about £3k cheaper once the new civic is launched). The whole positioning of Skoda internationally is that of Value for Money. The cheaper VFM option from the VW Stable.

But that is not the positioning in India (i guess the import duties and level of localisation also play a role in determining the positioning).

All said and done, one has to applaud Skoda for bringing in the DSG. Put in the 1.8T 180bhp engine and you could 'tell laura i love her' ;-)
Old 7th December 2005, 14:28   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoombastic
I was really looking forward to buying the A5 Octavia vRS, but the minute I knew the pricing was going to be around Rs.17-18 lakhs for the base model, I dropped the idea. In the real world the Honda Accord makes a lot more sense in more ways than one at this price. We even discussed this at the Chennai meet on the 20th.

"Tell Laura I love her".... Nice old song
Damn! This Mondays auto section of The Hindu newspaper has used "Tell Laura I Love Her" as the caption for their review on this car... Time for me to get copyrights ©

I'm just waiting for some news on the vRS version of Laura... That's when Laura will captivate my "innocent" mind.
Old 7th December 2005, 21:04   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

this car cant eat out the market share of accord and now when superb is available for ~21lakhs laura is definitely not the best choice considering the tag.
Old 13th December 2005, 00:36   #55

Yup Guys , Beemer is right that the price of the Laura is going to be around 18 lacs cos one of my friends is working at Silvertone Motors(Okhla) and he just confirmed the news today ..

When i asked about the looks of the car , my friend told me, at first glance it just looks like any other octavia and an untrained eye would not be able to differenciate between the Laura and Octavia , its only when you actually look at it , you realise its a different car

I mean no body of us would like to buy a 18 lakhs rupee car which looks exactly like a 11 lakhs rupee car !

Anyhow, if anybody wants to see the car , go and 've a look , its standing there at Silvertone Motors (okhla) and Today is the Launch of the car at Taj Palace Hotel , New delhi .
I am having the passes , Anybody interested ???

But i agree to most of them , the price of Laura (shhhh.. , i feel cheap when i pronounce the name) is very unjustified , by no means a car of its size, class can sell for 18 lacs , IMHO its better to shell out those 3-4 lakhs extra and buy a Superb ,thats just asking for too much ..
Old 13th December 2005, 11:23   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born To Drive
IMHO its better to shell out those 3-4 lakhs extra and buy a Superb ,thats just asking for too much ..
Maybe Skoda wants that to happen !

Bring people into the dealerships to check out the new 18L car and then once they see whats on offer at 3/4 L more ... Superb !
Or look at whats available at 3/4 L less ... L&K !
Old 13th December 2005, 19:30   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
I want what Skoda's smoking...
High speed Diesel is the thing for you.
Old 14th December 2005, 00:02   #58
Senior - BHPian

a redesigned skoda octy at 18 lacs...???!!! perhaps skoda plans to make laloo prasad yadav their brand ambassador next....

even if the car has DSG, it's gonna be chauffered, mostly; so, who'll give two hoots about the gearbox, unless they offer it in the vRS version..? besides, the first and foremost reason for the superb bombing is it's stunning similarity to it's sibling, alongwith it's alarmingly-close-to-the-merc pricing. i suspect "laura" is gonna go the "superb" way...

and oh, yes- if at all honda brings in their 2.2 i-CTDi accord in F.Y 06' (which honda is suspected to be planning, alongwith the 3.0 v6 manual).... Adeos, skoda...nice knowing you...
Old 14th December 2005, 00:53   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born To Drive
I mean no body of us would like to buy a 18 lakhs rupee car which looks exactly like a 11 lakhs rupee car !.
What Skoda is available for 11 lakhs???? Dont tell me Delhi is THAT MUCH cheaper - its almost 12 here for Riders.

So its going to be 18 lakhs, huh? Pride cometh before the fall and all that ****...........and what a name! I'd like to hear it pronounced in Bhojpuri!
Old 14th December 2005, 02:02   #60
Senior - BHPian

Being a diehard fan of the Skoda Octavia and having owned one for a year and a half here's my two cents.

2 litre 140bhp engine with DSG within 16 lacs, id buy it eyes closed... for 17 lacs ill make a fuss but still buy it... 18 is stretching it too far but at the back of my mind ill consider it just because of brand loyalty.

1.9 PD 104bhp for 16 lacs without DSG, Skoda Auto can keep on dreaming of looting me. They are now certified to be smoking dope!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks