Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2005, 08:30   #91
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme
Skoda is trying to do a Suzuki alto with their Octavia.it will work in a-b segments but not in the d segment.
will work at Rs 50,000 price points not at Rs 300,000 price point
Old 15th December 2005, 10:24   #92
BHPian

Practicality

Going by an earlier note made by ajmat, i would think that a second hand skoda superb would drop into a similar price bracket if not lower (laura). There are a number of second hand mercedes available at much lower prices as well. Considering the current parts replacement cost of the old octavia and these new features that can be found on the mercs/superb, i would expect any failure of a part to be a problem in two areas:
a) if guys like TAFE in bangalore have the capability to repair them - nowadays they bypass this by just replacing it - this could be really expensive!!
b) The cost/availability of these spare parts given the number of these vehicles floating around - i can imagine a wait period of a few weeks for a replacement part..

Now would there be some commenality with the superb from spares perspective - i am not sure. i would be tempted to go in for a well maintained superb that would have much better space than the laura, because that is what people expect in that price bracket - either you pay for either
a) extreme performance - driver experience (if an RS variant of the Laura comes out) or
b) size and plush features of a luxury sedan (superb, e+ mercs and in a small way the Honda Accord) or
c) Snob value (the mercs give you that. Even the superb needs to be looked at twice to differentiate it from the octavia/laura)
d) Wow factor - turning heads (related to the c) )
I am not sure if the Laura fits into any of these categories (or for that matter offers more than the current octavia) for the moment with their initial model that they have released. However having said that, i applaud Laura's safety features, and going by what a few BHP'ians have said, the gear shift pleasure ;-)..
Old 15th December 2005, 11:20   #93
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
that is what people expect in that price bracket - either you pay for either
a) extreme performance - driver experience (if an RS variant of the Laura comes out) or
b) size and plush features of a luxury sedan (superb, e+ mercs and in a small way the Honda Accord) or
c) Snob value (the mercs give you that. Even the superb needs to be looked at twice to differentiate it from the octavia/laura)
d) Wow factor - turning heads (related to the c) )
I am not sure if the Laura fits into any of these categories
Rangaraj, This is one of the best and most valid post in the argument thus far.

Well said

GTO
Old 15th December 2005, 11:38   #94
Team-BHP Support

Speaking of spare part prices. I was recently informed that the price to replace a gearbox of a Superb (which had got damaged in an accident) was Rs.5 lakhs!! That's not inclusive of labour or taxes.
Old 15th December 2005, 11:58   #95
Team-BHP Support

Did you know that octavia is also not far behind. The cost of the alternator is 43000rs. The same alternator(original bosch) if purchased from open market costs 18000rs.
Old 15th December 2005, 12:06   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Did you know that octavia is also not far behind. The cost of the alternator is 43000rs. The same alternator(original bosch) if purchased from open market costs 18000rs.
I'm sure most of you know this but for those who haven't yet figured it out . . ...
After much delay skoda was ready with the octavia, but by then the sonata and the accord type 1 were already doing the market. So Skoda prices the octavia at an extremely competetive price knowing that they could profit from the spares as the vehicles someday have to pay their regular visits. Smart strategy i'd say, but whats happened to them since then is revealed by the title of this thread.

manson.
Old 15th December 2005, 12:19   #97
BHPian

This might be a little off topic, but I was not fimiliar with the octavia RS until I just gave it a closer look. It is a 1.8 liter turbo right? It puts out only 146 bhp?!?

That is hilarious. The non turbo 2.0 puts out 110bhp correct? So from the performance point of view, why would anyone go with the RS which only puts out 36 more HP? You have to deal with the unreliability and added burnden of maintaining the turbo over time, not to mention turbo lag. Also, I bet the gap between torque figures between both cars is even smaller! Anyone know the figures on that?. People seem to look too much at HP rating, when that 'go' which you feel is all torque.

The octavia IMO is a close copy of the VW Jetta, interior's are very similiar. I would imagine that if they did just a good job on copying VW's interior, the engine of the jetta should have also inspired them some. The jetta, is a 1.8 liter too, and with its turbo, it puts out 180bhp (this is the old jetta, not the new one).

Wow thats just one amazingly ineffecient engine (no offense RS owners). 1.8L turbo RS putting out just 146bhp. You are right GTO, they really are on dope!

Last edited by idnani : 15th December 2005 at 12:21.
Old 15th December 2005, 12:30   #98
Team-BHP Support

erm idnani, VW is the parent company of Skoda, and the Octavia is basically a VW Jetta/Audi A4 with a different body and badge. The 1.8T engine in the RS is the same that does duty on the base TT as well.

Remember, this is India we are talking about, and you must take that into account when evaluating a car here. When Skoda launched the RS, it was a major milestone in India as till that day, all manufacturers did to their "Sports" models were add a spoiler and a new badge to it. Skoda actually went the full mile and actually gave us a decent power upgrade along with 16" wheels and the rest of the goodies.
Old 15th December 2005, 12:57   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
erm idnani, VW is the parent company of Skoda, and the Octavia is basically a VW Jetta/Audi A4 with a different body and badge. The 1.8T engine in the RS is the same that does duty on the base TT as well.

Remember, this is India we are talking about, and you must take that into account when evaluating a car here. When Skoda launched the RS, it was a major milestone in India as till that day, all manufacturers did to their "Sports" models were add a spoiler and a new badge to it. Skoda actually went the full mile and actually gave us a decent power upgrade along with 16" wheels and the rest of the goodies.
Dont get me wrong, the RS seems like a nice car and the 'goodies' as you mention are nice, but my point was if they were going to put a new engine in there, and a turbo, why did they not do a better job, especially now that you pointed out that VW is the parent company of skoda, meaning they had the technology at hand.

Also, I would not go as far as saying that the skoda is basically an Audi A4. An A4 is a big step above the Jetta, in terms of luxury. I think comparing a skoda to a VW is sufficient. Are you sure that the RS has the same engine as the base Audi TT? The Audi TT base has the same 1.8L Turbo which puts out 180bhp as the jetta. RS is putting out 146 bhp.

I definately take into account what auto market we are discussing here, but its not like the mid 90's, where the market was super restrictive. The RS seems to have been launched not too long back, and I am just saying that they could have done a better job with the power plant. IMO its just restrictive marketing.

Last edited by idnani : 15th December 2005 at 12:59.
Old 15th December 2005, 13:45   #100

Skoda to launch two new versions of Octavia

Seems like skoda is on a role to break the record of most no of versions atleast in India . Octavia is already having 10 versions ,dont know what the 11th and 12th are going to be like .. Any guesses guys ?

p.s I was planning to buy the Rider version in jan , i think i should wait for these new versions to arrive but the not so good news is the skoda Auto India 'll be increasing the price of all the cars (except laura) in the beginning of the next year !

link : http://www.business-standard.com/bso...O&autono=12696
Old 15th December 2005, 13:46   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
but my point was if they were going to put a new engine in there, and a turbo, why did they not do a better job, especially now that you pointed out that VW is the parent company of skoda, meaning they had the technology at hand.
They could have easily brought the engine here with the 180 bhp ECU. But look at it through their eyes. No other car in the market has the "sports sedan" bit so well covered. The Accord may have similar power figures, but I really don't consider it a sports sedan, and neither do most prospective RS buyers.

Now, when Skoda finally get some competition in this segment, all they have to do is get the ECU to reprogramme the fueling/timing etc to get those exra ponies out. No cost to Skoda, but it would justify a price rise! Win-win situation for them.

Quote:
Also, I would not go as far as saying that the skoda is basically an Audi A4. An A4 is a big step above the Jetta, in terms of luxury.
Luxury yes, but look at the A4 (previous gen) and the engines, FWD drivetrains and most switches etc. are all common. Technically they are as close as (non identical) twins.

Quote:
Are you sure that the RS has the same engine as the base Audi TT? The Audi TT base has the same 1.8L Turbo which puts out 180bhp as the jetta. RS is putting out 146 bhp.
As mentioned, the engine is the same except for the ECU. BTW, the TT launched in India has the same 146bhp as the RS

Quote:
The RS seems to have been launched not too long back, and I am just saying that they could have done a better job with the power plant. IMO its just restrictive marketing.
Absolutely. Its plain marketing strategy on Skoda's part.
Old 15th December 2005, 15:38   #102
Senior - BHPian

emm, 11th version by jan and 12th by march and a price hike! What can thse be?

mods can we merge this thread with the other octi thread?

Last edited by jkdas : 15th December 2005 at 15:54.
Old 15th December 2005, 16:04   #103
Senior - BHPian

Being a hardcore Skoda Fan i was desperately awaiting the launch of the Octy II aka the Laura. Having owned a 1.9TDi for the last year and a half i have been in love with the car from day one. At 11lacs, 90bhp, almost made in europe tag...the car was a perfect match of cost, comfort, performance and economy. The only downside were the expensive maintenance costs.

At almost 17 lacs you expect a much bigger car inspite of all the features provided. Dimension wise the Laura almost negligibly bigger than the octavia and the 104bhp is not something that i would expect for that price. This concept of value addition in terms of DSG, Pump Duse, etc would work in an international market where the value for all the goodies packed is accepted in the price tag, but we havent reached that position yet. The reason being that 17 lacs is still a lot of money to earn for most of us and i doubt that i have the guts to pay that much for a C+ segment car. My decesion would be based on two factors which is the way most indians think: 1.Bigger money = Bigger Car, 2.Snob Value.

The direct competitor to the Laura would be the Honda Accord 2.4 which is a segment above and which i personally feel would be my car of choice if given to chose between the two.
Old 15th December 2005, 17:11   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
They could have easily brought the engine here with the 180 bhp ECU. But look at it through their eyes. No other car in the market has the "sports sedan" bit so well covered. The Accord may have similar power figures, but I really don't consider it a sports sedan, and neither do most prospective RS buyers.

Luxury yes, but look at the A4 (previous gen) and the engines, FWD drivetrains and most switches etc. are all common. Technically they are as close as (non identical) twins.
Am I missing something? Every audi that I have driven is AWD, including the A4. Thats the only thing I dont like about them, which is what turned me away from the S4.

So the only difference between the european version of the Jetta 1.8T and the Indian Skoda RS is the ECU? The engine and turbo charger is exactly the same? If that is the case, why dont RS owners just do an ECU swap and get the extra 34HP? Actually, you dont even need to do that. Simply tap a chip (race ecu) into the current ecu and you can get over 200hp. I have seen it done on a jetta 1.8T. 180bhp has been increased to over 200 with a chip.

I would imagine that there are probably other differences between the 2 engines like the size of the turbo etc. Its too good to be true. I am going to research this some more and if its indeed true, then hands down, the RS is a vert potent car and I am going to get my brother to trade his octavia 2.0 for the RS, and I'll just ship him the chip

Can someone tell me the price of the RS? I will be visiting mumbai soon and I would like to go drive one. Has anyone in this forum successfully modded and/or chipped an RS ?

Last edited by idnani : 15th December 2005 at 17:13.
Old 15th December 2005, 17:31   #105
Senior - BHPian

Rtech is right. the difference between the 180bhp 1.8T international and 150bhp 1.8T indian is just the ECU, the turbo and engine remain the same.

ECU remaps and other upgrades are very much available in India. turboindia on this forum has a 235bhp upgrade, i am running a 220bhp upgrade.

RS costs 14.91 lacs in mumbai exshowroom while the base version with the same mechanicals without the leather, xenons, alloys and sunroof costs 12.29 lacs exshowroom.

Arush
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks