Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2005, 17:33   #106
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So the only difference between the european version of the Jetta 1.8T and the Indian Skoda RS is the ECU? The engine and turbo charger is exactly the same?
Broadly - Yes.

Quote:

Can someone tell me the price of the RS? I will be visiting mumbai soon and I would like to go drive one. Has anyone in this forum successfully modded and/or chipped an RS ?
15 Lacs on the road in Mumbai. Individual owner (commercial registration is over a lac more). Check out BHPian "Turbo Indias" threads on his modded RS. It pumps out 200 BHP+

GTO
Old 15th December 2005, 18:26   #107
BHPian

I found the threads on the ECU remapping which is going on byt nothing about the gains (200, 230) etc which have been attained. Can anyone have the links here pls?
Old 16th December 2005, 05:02   #108
BHPian

I went at the Launch of Laura on 13th and was very excited to look ,feel ,touch the car but i must say i was very very dissappointed with the looks and the interior space .

The plastics used are of preety high quality and the steering wheel is one of the best i ve ever seen ,very sweet ,sexy and you feel like holding and kissing it again and again .
After seeing the car thoroughly i was not able to digest all those things stated by ACI that the car has tremendous rear leg room ,big in size ,very large seats and what not .. I must say i had great expectations from this car (courtesy ,the auto magz and the info i got from the web ovtavia II owners worldwide) and it did not live upto that at all and i ve to admit ,the car is way smaller (in and out both) and does not live upto the competition ,the sonatas ,camrys offers much more space comparatively .

I dont know why the ACI has praised and going gaga over the the car so much for nothing ... For all those who havent read the dec ACI , it says " What skoda has advanced significantly is in size .Longer ,wider ,taller than the current octavia ,the Laura is a HALF SIZE BIGGER TOO (page no 57) .

While all the people were looking at those beautiful ladies performing next to Laura ,i was constantly looking at the Laura to find out the statement made by ACI and my first impressions were .. the car is bigger ,wider ,taller than the octavia but only by a whisker .

The next day i recieve a call from the Skoda dealer to come and take the test drive ,believe me guys this was the first time in my life i was thinking twice whether to go or no cos being a hard core skoda fan ,i had great great expectation from this car and was dying to own this machine ,was waiting for the its launch desparatly but after 10 minutes of seeing the car thoroughly , i must say i was Shattered ,the interior space and the looks being the prime culprit ! But i think i should go and 've a look at the car in the bright sunshine and take the test drive before taking that final decision ..

I fail to understand how can ACI give 9/10 ratings to a car which is costing above 18 and cannot even make 3 people sit comfortably at the rear seat .. God knows how much they are being paid for this !!!

p.s After all this i feel like taking a Resolution (right time , the new year is approaching too) that i should stop reading those **** auto magazines and the best thing is i feel i would not regret or miss it cos i get all the genuine ,correct ,up to date necessary information about all the cars right here on this forum from our own T- Bhpians .
Old 18th December 2005, 23:12   #109

I am surpirsed to see lot of strong negative reaction to Laura from most of the BHPians.
But this new Octavia has got excellent ratings from all over the World. ACI is not an exception. This Month Car India gives a comparison of New Octavia in UK with similar cars but much more expensive (ex: Volkswagen Golf) and selected New Octavia as the best VFM car.

There are lot of reviews in the net and going by the equipment level and safety features it is an excellent choice if you are looking for a good D segment car.

This new Octavia is sold even in Europe along with the old Octi. So it is nothing surprising that Skoda wants to retain the old Octi.

I did not get what is wrong with the name Laura ( Ofcourse Skoda could have retained the name Octavia).
Old 19th December 2005, 06:30   #110
BHPian

VFM is the issue!

Hi TomyThomas, The reason for this reaction is not to be treated as a response to the features of the Laura, but at what cost. In bangalore the landed cost of this car is short of 20L on road. If the same were to be 16L, the reaction would have been VERY different and i am sure it would have been a runaway success. That's the reason for success of the Swift, and the lack of successs of Mondeo (rave reviews in the UK, but hardly any response in India due to the price). Dropping the price alone is also not sufficient (elantra/sonata did not do great). Auto vendors try their best to understand Indian car buyers mind, but very few are successful.

I guess this forum maybe a good way for auto vendors to guage the Indian auto buyers mind! ;-)...
Old 19th December 2005, 11:20   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomythomas
I am surpirsed to see lot of strong negative reaction to Laura from most of the BHPians.
But this new Octavia has got excellent ratings from all over the World. ACI is not an exception. This Month Car India gives a comparison of New Octavia in UK with similar cars but much more expensive (ex: Volkswagen Golf) and selected New Octavia as the best VFM car.

There are lot of reviews in the net and going by the equipment level and safety features it is an excellent choice if you are looking for a good D segment car.

This new Octavia is sold even in Europe along with the old Octi. So it is nothing surprising that Skoda wants to retain the old Octi.

I did not get what is wrong with the name Laura ( Ofcourse Skoda could have retained the name Octavia).
Dear Mr. Thomas

I dont think anybody here is saying that the Laura isnt a good car. The question is whether it is good enough for the money they're asking, and I'm afraid the answer is a resounding NO.

Fact of the matter was that the Octavia is already above the upper edge of the C+/D- segment market pricing, much above what its natural competitors are priced at here in India. The new car should've been a replacement for the older one, but giving it a different name to compete in a segment above does not seem to be a logical move to us, particularly when competition in that segment offers much more for less.

As for the much-touted DSG, we're probably getting it here because the car is a CKD/SKD assembly and VW/Skoda cant be bothered to make a few manual-gear versions just for India. If you ask me that feature is probably offered in India by default rather than by design. Why should we pay for the fact that Skoda cannot be bothered to manufacture vehicles in the country?

Its only USP is that its the only diesel car at that price point - I wont say category because it is still one one full size below the category at which it is priced. That USP will be shattered if Honda, Hyundai or Toyota bring their diesels to India, which are much more advanced than the one they've deigned to offer on the Laura. Besides, most of the 'features' touted as being available on the Laura were always available on the Elantra at half that price, and that vehicle is more powerful and roomier as well.

Imran and Skoda have taken us for a ride so far. They now think they can take us for a Royal Ride, but I think the market will say "thank you very much".

Last edited by Steeroid : 19th December 2005 at 11:27.
Old 19th December 2005, 14:38   #112
BANNED

Okay, I’m pretty impressed and yet disappointed with the Skoda Laura… The things that seem to be disappointing many are well pointed out and I agree with most if not all. What has me in two minds are the following:

1. The name – Jokes apart, imagine telling one of your business associates/ older relatives that you’ve bought a Laura.
2. The size – This doesn’t bother me much and in one way can be an advantage in a city where the traffic is chaotic and parking space is limited, but then, a bigger car is always a bonus at some places one visits.
3. The engine – This bothers me most. Again, Skoda India has given us an underpowered/ different engine when compared to the same model being sold abroad. I know some will say this much power is enough/ this engine came from here and that engine from there/ we don’t have good fuel… Why is it that these three reasons are always exclusive problems with Skoda India? How come Honda, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, Toyota, Hyundai and other cars sell even more powerful cars in the same scenario?? Also, what’s the use of giving DSG when they can’t give an engine to match the wonderful DSG and the price of the car? This is the biggest reason that stops me from buying this car.
4. The looks – As so many of my esteemed fellow Team-BHPians have pointed out on several occasions… It’s not easy to tell the Laura and Octavia apart.

What I really love the most about Laura are the safety features… On this point, I applaud Skoda for doing a fine job. The other goodies are really top-class too and can almost match up to what you get with an E Class.

Why I hate Skoda India? I hate Skoda India because they have managed to screw up the superb DSG, the terrific safety features and the top class goodies by killing the heart (engine) of the car. 19 or so lakhs would’ve never bothered me if we got the same engine as the one abroad. Give me the same engine and I’ll buy the Laura tomorrow.

Still considering… Don’t know if I’m going to accept her (Laura) as mine yet.
Old 19th December 2005, 20:23   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That USP will be shattered if Honda, Hyundai or Toyota bring their diesels to India, which are much more advanced than the one they've deigned to offer on the Laura
A question for everyone here.

How much would you pay if Honda brings in the Accord diesel?
Old 19th December 2005, 20:28   #114

It's really disappointing. As someone who has to opt for an automatic transmission only, I have been waiting for 3 months for the A5 to make my purchase decision. And what do we find? Pricing and engine power both are absurd.

I bought the Autocar issue reviewing the Laura too, all I can say is, waste of money (not Autocar's fault, actually).

Back to looking at the Elegance AT ... do folks think it is VFM??
Old 19th December 2005, 21:03   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, what’s the use of giving DSG when they can’t give an engine to match the wonderful DSG
Arey bhai, VW/Skoda are offering the same 1.9L 100bhp engine with DSG all over the world! Are you trying to say that the 1.9 diesel is not good enough to be mated with the DSG gear box? If Skoda follows it's parent company's global policy then it's only a matter of time before the Laura RS is launched with the new 2.0T 200bhp engine with DSG. And that is what is happening even here in North America. Only the TDi and 2.0T get the DSG. And the TDi here has the Pumpe Duse technology but the Hp is still rated at 100. From what I know Laura in India is rated at 104bhp even with the poorer fuel quality.

Quote:
As for the much-touted DSG, we're probably getting it here because the car is a CKD/SKD assembly and VW/Skoda cant be bothered to make a few manual-gear versions just for India. If you ask me that feature is probably offered in India by default rather than by design. Why should we pay for the fact that Skoda cannot be bothered to manufacture vehicles in the country?
Now we are finding faults with a company offering us their latest technology too! I never understood why people in India have different sets of rules for judging Japanese and non-Japanese companies? When Honda launched VTEC, we went on our knees hailing them for treating us Indians with respect and offering us their latest global technology and when a Skoda offers us the same we find faults.
DSG is not classified as a automatic. It's called a clutchless Manual. The company is offering you something better but we still want them to give us the traditional technology. Sample the DSG and then dismiss the car if you can!.

Even I thought 18Lacs odd was a bit more for what is essentially a Octavia. But there are some major differences in terms of features. After going through the list of features the car offers, I am starting to think that 18Lacs is a pretty good price to pay. Kudos to Skoda for not backing down on safety features. The kit equals what's offered anywhere in the world and that according to me shows respect of the company towards it's customers. Before dismissing the DSG, why don't you guys drive a normal automatic and then sit into the Laura and sample the DSG. I am a manual shift passionate fan and after driving the DSG, it has left me confused on what is better!

Last edited by amit : 19th December 2005 at 21:05.
Old 19th December 2005, 21:42   #116
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Arey bhai, VW/Skoda are offering the same 1.9L 100bhp engine with DSG all over the world! Are you trying to say that the 1.9 diesel is not good enough to be mated with the DSG gear box? If Skoda follows it's parent company's global policy then it's only a matter of time before the Laura RS is launched with the new 2.0T 200bhp engine with DSG. And that is what is happening even here in North America. Only the TDi and 2.0T get the DSG. And the TDi here has the Pumpe Duse technology but the Hp is still rated at 100. From what I know Laura in India is rated at 104bhp even with the poorer fuel quality.
Amit Bhai, for this price we should be getting the 2.0 TDI PD Diesel engine with an output of 103 kW instead of the 1.9 TDI PD/77 kW turbo Diesel engine.
Old 19th December 2005, 22:08   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
for this price we should be getting the 2.0 TDI PD Diesel engine with an output of 103 kW instead of the 1.9 TDI PD/77 kW turbo Diesel engine.
VW haven't launched the 2.0Tdi even in North America. You wouldn't believe the phone calls we get for the Passat Tdi but VW says they can't launch that engine till diesel is cleaned up in North America to Europe standards. Even the V10 Touareg TDI was withdrawn from the market for the same reasons. If thats the case then maybe you should be complaining to Mr. Manmohan Singh and Mr. Mani Shankar Aiyar instead of venting your frustrations on Skoda.

By the way, I wonder how Skoda are offering 104bhp on the Laura Tdi PD when their parent company gives 100bhp on the Golf/Jetta Tdi PD here with what i assume is better diesel fuel.
Old 19th December 2005, 22:18   #118
BANNED

Quote:
VW haven't launched the 2.0Tdi even in North America. You wouldn't believe the phone calls we get for the Passat Tdi but VW says they can't launch that engine till diesel is cleaned up in North America to Europe standards. Even the V10 Touareg TDI was withdrawn from the market for the same reasons. If thats the case then maybe you should be complaining to Mr. Manmohan Singh and Mr. Mani Shankar Aiyar instead of venting your frustrations on Skoda.

By the way, I wonder how Skoda are offering 104bhp on the Laura Tdi PD when their parent company gives 100bhp on the Golf/Jetta Tdi PD here with what i assume is better diesel fuel.
So, what do you think, keeping the Indian car scene in mind, will Laura make a good buy (Don't forget the love people here have for the Accords and Camrys) with the 1.9TDI at a price of around 19 lakhs? Resale value scares me on this one as when all is said and done, it's still a Skoda. My mom loves this car and it scares me... What a strange situation to be in. I still wish we got the 2.0 engine for this price.
Old 19th December 2005, 22:25   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

I went to the Skoda showroom at worli to check out the Laura today. Really like it, smart interiors, compact but yet more legroom than the octavia....pretty plush interiors. I had a big smile on my face as i looked over the car until he told me the price 18.5 lakhs on road!!! i was like ***! I told the sales guy...at that price i would rather get the accord v6... his reply was that our car is much better...more 'technology' i said really? and how is that? the v6 has DOUBLE the hp than u r engine produces! all he could say is we have climate control and a 6 cd changer... WOW! haha
Old 19th December 2005, 23:18   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A question for everyone here.

How much would you pay if Honda brings in the Accord diesel?

Simple answer - more than what I would pay for an Octavia diesel, anyday. Hell, I'd probably pay more for a Civic diesel than I would for an Octavia diesel.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks