Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2005, 23:31   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoombastic
So, what do you think, keeping the Indian car scene in mind, will Laura make a good buy (Don't forget the love people here have for the Accords and Camrys) with the 1.9TDI at a price of around 19 lakhs.
There will be a price correction next year after which residuals will crash. I'd say test drive the Accord V6 before you decide. I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed.
Old 19th December 2005, 23:59   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Arey bhai, VW/Skoda are offering the same 1.9L 100bhp engine with DSG all over the world!
Question for you, amit. Are they offering the Octavia (new) with this engine at a premium over the Accords and Camrys of the world?

I think you're missing the fundamental issue here - which is that they're taking us for a ride with their pricing. Nobody has said that the car is bad in any way.

Last edited by Steeroid : 20th December 2005 at 00:00.
Old 20th December 2005, 00:28   #123
Senior - BHPian

Prices in Canada (CDN) before taxes and levis, both fully and equally loaded. Note VW brand is positioned higher than Skoda all over Europe.

Jetta TDI+DSG
Total MSRP:$33,790

HOnda Accord V6 Auto (MSRP) - $35,500

Last edited by Mpower : 20th December 2005 at 00:39.
Old 20th December 2005, 00:45   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the v6 has DOUBLE the hp than u r engine produces!
Compare apples to apples. The Laura has a TDi compared to the V6 petrol in the Accord. Of course it's going to have more power.

Quote:
Hell, I'd probably pay more for a Civic diesel than I would for an Octavia diesel.
I knew this answer. You say probably, I say you will.

Quote:
So, what do you think, keeping the Indian car scene in mind, will Laura make a good buy (Don't forget the love people here have for the Accords and Camrys)
You answered your own question. No non-Japanese car maker has any future in India.

Quote:
Resale value scares me on this one as when all is said and done, it's still a Skoda.
Everyone here argues that Skoda doesn't have a premium brand image worldwide so why pay premium prices for the car. FYI, Honda and Toyota are also considered basic car makers all over the world. Why do you people pay premium prices for these brands then? Please have the same rules for judging all car makers.

Bombastic, I don't know why you are worried about resale price of the Laura. I am no Nostrodomus but I can confidently tell you that 5,6,7 years down the line when you will want to sell your Laura TDi, Petrol and diesel prices will be much much higher then what they are now. What car do you think will be more in demand? Petrol or Diesel?

Quote:
I think you're missing the fundamental issue here - which is that they're taking us for a ride with their pricing. Nobody has said that the car is bad in any way.
Initially even I thought that 18 lacs is too steep for a Octavia but what you guys keep forgetting is that the car is loaded with features for that price. Apart from the Diesel engine with DSG the car gives you:
1. SIX (6) Airbags.
2. Rain sensing wipers
3. ASR/ESP. (I am ignoring ABS since all D segmenters have it.)
4. Tire pressure monitoring.
5. Xenon headlamps with washers.
6. Signal lamps integrated in door mirrors.
7. Multi function steering wheel.
8. Cruise control.
9. Parking aid control.
10.Six CD changer.
11.Power seats with 3 memory positions.
12.MFI.

When I look at all these features PLUS the TDi PD with 6 Speed DSG, I'd say it's pretty good value for money.

Last edited by amit : 20th December 2005 at 00:59.
Old 20th December 2005, 00:55   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You say probably, I say you will.
Excuse me dude, but I'd like to think that I know my mind more than you do. If you've got blinkers on it doesnt mean everyone else has.

If you'd like to make up people's minds on their behalf I suggest you dont ask questions. And if you want to get personal, be my guest - but not on the forum.

Last edited by Steeroid : 20th December 2005 at 00:57.
Old 20th December 2005, 01:03   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd like to think that I know my mind more than you do. If you've got blinkers on it doesnt mean everyone else has
I could say the same for you.
Old 20th December 2005, 04:00   #127
Senior - BHPian

lets cool it guys.

skoda certainly is a good brand. I love the octavias and simply drool over the RS.

It is true that some people here wont speak but believe that a vtec can beat an RS anyday but you cant compare a japanese to an european counterpart.

I used to belive the 999 is no good for 32K$ against the R1 for 11K$. The day I sat on the R1 and the 999 at the toronto motorcycle show I just had one thing in mind.

" japanese sure have great engines coz they cuts costs on everything else. europeans dont." this is coming from an patriotic fool who hates Europeans just because the british ruled over India.

I hate to believe it but its true that Honda comes nowhere near skoda.

but skoda certainly has smoked pot this time around. agreed that it has good feature set and explains the price range. But how many would buy a swift with 4airbags, xenons, leather, turbo and stuff for 10lakhs??

A sonata sized skoda with mondeo kind of features may sell for 16lakhs but not more. I doubt if it will sell even in numbers the camry has sold.
Old 20th December 2005, 12:17   #128
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
There will be a price correction next year after which residuals will crash. I'd say test drive the Accord V6 before you decide. I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed.
Mpower, we think alike, but there are a few pointers for the both of us and a few that only apply to me. I so agree with you that the Honda Accord V6 is a lovely car (amongst the cars available in the Indian market), but the problem is that Honda Accord has already had a few changes made in 2006 and that is yet to come to India and then, Honda Accord is due for a total change in 2007. You and any sensible person would say "Boom, you drive a nice car already, so, just wait another year and buy the new Accord"... Thing is if I buy a new car before June/ July 2006 I will be making a record of 10 years - 10 cars... No mummy-papa ka paisa, no finance, no second hand business and most of all, no black money involved (I hate *beep* who cheat my beautiful India on taxes or in any other way). I hope as someone who is a car enthusiast himself, you will understand my absurd thought process LOL. Also, if we notice Skoda India's pricing trend, their prices have only increased (not saying increased in a justified way at all, but they have always increased).

Quote:
You answered your own question. No non-Japanese car maker has any future in India.
No, Amit Bhai, I haven't answered my question and wanted your viewpoint to help me make up my mind. Also, Ford, GM and Hyundai are not Japanese and yet see the number of Ikons, Taveras/ Optras and Santros/ Sonatas on our roads. Let's not forget, there was a time when the Sonata was selling more than other Japanese cars put together in the same segment in India. Again, I ask you... Let's not compare any car and let's keep this 1 on 1 between us, you think I should pay 19lakhs for a car which has given me the lower engine option when I know there is a better engine option available on the same car abroad (maybe, not in the US, but elsewhere and even in the US the pricing of the car is lower than that of the Accords and Camrys?) or just look at buying some other car?... Bhai, I am not fingering your trip, I'm just looking for all my fellow Team-BHPians to help me choose my 10th car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Are they offering the Octavia (new) with this engine at a premium over the Accords and Camrys of the world?

Very well said, especially when we are not getting the 2.0 engine for this price.

A small thought to all my esteemed fellow Team-BHPians to think about... Guys, we are all here to discuss cars and not egos. I think it is very healthy for us not to see eye-to-eye at times as that will only help us all gain more knowledge and see viewpoints which we have either missed or not thought of, help us buy better cars and so on. I think it's great to see things in different ways as that is what helps technology improve, but please, we are all on the same team and let's not hate each other or get personal. Let me give you all an example... Mpower and I disagreed a lot on another Skoda thread I started (almost like Tom and Jerry LOL), but see how we didn't take off on one another and on this particular thread, we are on the same side and he is even helping me choose a car. We are all Indians and we are all part of the same team, so, let's argue and disagree with one another, but not pull out our swords. If you all think I am trying hard to be a wannabe Buddha or an all-knowing Cherokee chief smoking the peace pipe and talking to the spirits in my own sandblasted mind, please forgive me and put me on ignore.

Hey, Devarshi, you just made me smile with joy... Jai Hind, mere Bhai!

Sahil... Hahaha! Too funny!!
Old 20th December 2005, 13:47   #129
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Topic has been discussed, and all possible points have been already made.

This thread is closed.

GTO
Old 21st December 2005, 21:07   #130
Team-BHP Support

Sorry - just misusing my moderator privilege

q: How do you market the Laura ?

a: stick it right in the back of the showroom and let it be hidden in a sea of Octavia's - that's what the Bangalore dealer has done. They see to want to prove our point.

Read in the Deccan Herald that a 150 bhp diesel to be badge VRS on the way - selling the Golf for C Class money - you're joking
Thread locked again

Last edited by ajmat : 21st December 2005 at 21:08.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks