Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2010, 23:03   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
For the first time ever here, I have seen this detailed and analysed sales figures thread of each and every model sold. The 150 rupee magazines don't even come .01 percent close to this.

The best gets better. Painstakingly created and redefines the analysis unlike any other. Kudos to tbhp. We want similar threads from now on for every month.
Great effort GTO.

You are right Sidindica,the car magazines will not give an analysis like this.After knowing tbhp my interest in car magazines has declined.Please keep up the good work.
Old 9th September 2010, 23:39   #47
BHPian

GTO!! Thanks for the detailed report/analysis. Can you include the figures of Land Rover and Jaguar, haven't seen any monthly sales report since their launch.
Old 9th September 2010, 23:51   #48
BHPian

Quote:
For the first time ever here, I have seen this detailed and analysed sales figures thread of each and every model sold. The 150 rupee magazines don't even come .01 percent close to this.
The best gets better. Painstakingly created and redefines the analysis unlike any other. Kudos to tbhp. We want similar threads from now on for every month.
With special scoops from you and a detailed analysis from GTO, we can only expect the best from team-bhp. Man, with such exclusive analysis, scoops, road tests, travelogues, etc., I only hope that this does not become a subscription-driven forum one day. Even then, I'd be more than willing to pay my year's subscription.

Melvyn
Old 10th September 2010, 00:52   #49
BHPian

Ford's success is entirely a Figo effect. No other model had saved the brand as Figo Done. If new Fiesta can Join with Figo in 2011 Ford will climb more!. Hope that Fiesta will not follow the path of Jazz and Punto(overpricing).
Old 10th September 2010, 01:35   #50
BHPian

Fiat should learn its lessons from hyundai and VW . It should increase price so as to ensure quality . The times have changed , fiat should conceive Indian market properly . People no longer look for cheap products , the concept of VFM ( value for money ) has given way to QFM ( quality for money ) . People have got little time to spend at service centers .

Maruti and tata thrives through selling fiat technology and fiat limps with the same !

Last edited by swathyd : 10th September 2010 at 01:40.
Old 10th September 2010, 01:45   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post

Must say I'm disappointed. I really hoped the Beat would take off. The looks turning off so many buyers, I somehow can't digest that. It has to be GM's brand perception. Even now, however hard they try, the perception still doesn't change.
GM sure has an image problem. The GM-SAIC partnership in India is not helping the image either. Like it on not, the Chinese have an perception of cheap and low quality products. GM probably shot itself in the foot with this step - at least in India. I am sure this has an impact on GM sales, I was surprised how many people know about the GM-SAIC deal, they may not know SAIC, but they do know GM has a Chinese partner.
Old 10th September 2010, 02:21   #52
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Deleted. Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

Last edited by .anshuman : 10th September 2010 at 04:03. Reason: Deleted the offtopic post. Please use the Search function when looking for some specific thread. Thanks
Old 10th September 2010, 03:56   #53
Senior - BHPian

Am quite amazed with the numbers Mercedes & BMW are getting at, also considering they are close to 600 units a month do you think by the middle of 2011 they could be close to or crossing the 1000 per month mark? I think so, and like I said before the F10 was launched it will completely outsell the W212, and looks like I was right and this hasn't even begun yet wait till the BMW 520d and it's corporate editions come out sometime in early 2011 which will be the final dagger for the W212.

Mercedes-Benz truly lost out this time around with the E-Class now all they can perhaps do is try offer some more loadings at a cheaper price, after all it is now in the market for about 12 months so a few additions would help.

Coming back to Audi, I am quite surprised in their press release they claim their sales are lesser then BMW / Mercedes due to them being late in the market, I do not think they were really late as I do believe BMW and Audi came in together? Whatever the case it has got nothing to do with their timing it's all about the brand value and sorry but they do not have it as good as BMW / Mercedes and the A8 / A6 pretty much prove it. Some might say they are old cars but so were a lot of Mercedes and BMW's which sold till the last car was out in good numbers. BMW again will lead this year too as the X1 will only add more to their numbers and Mercedes does not have anything similar coming up until 2012 (BLK) so BMW has a nice run.

Considering the i20 & Polo numbers and to a little extent the beetle I think it's high time BMW consider getting the Mini as the market is mature enough to absorb enough high end hatch backs and if VW can sell so many Beetles I am sure BMW could manage a lot more and maybe have an exclusive corner in their showroom using a shop in shop model for the Mini? Mercedes too can explore the Smart models or wait until next year when the new A class comes out which will no more look like a mini van but rather a good looking hatchback? And contrary to what others think the i20 sells more in it's higher trim variants rather then the strip down models and now if only VW could think of adding the 1.6 TDI to the polo?

GTO, Like others have said it am only adding to it, you sure have done an exceptional job at all you have done on this site and for it.

Regards,
Old 10th September 2010, 09:00   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Great Work!

I've been waiting for an analysis like this- it's like TBHP read my mind! Indeed a work of art, take a bow GTO!

I have a question: how do car companies typically report sales? Is it primaries (cars rolling off assembly lines and invoiced to dealers)? Or secondaries (cars actually driven out of showrooms)? I am using FMCG lingo (that too long forgotten since I was last in that industry about 10 years ago!) so please correct as needed.

Reason I ask is there may be latent demand in terms of bookings on waitlist reflecting unfulfilled needs. Probably an over-analysis but what the hey!
Old 10th September 2010, 09:17   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- There's another pleasant surprise here. The premium-priced Hyundai i20 sold a staggering 7,134 cars in August. Who would have thought that a 6 - 7.5 lakh rupee hatchback in India would ever manage such success? Not even Hyundai themselves, whose initial sales projection was only 1,000 - 1,500 units. I reiterate that the Indian customer is now value-driven (not cost-driven) and is bowled over by the i20's styling, premium quality, equipment level and space. The customer will pay top rupee for top product today.
A i20 on every street i can see in Bangalore now a days says it all .
Good show Hyundai
Old 10th September 2010, 09:26   #56
Senior - BHPian

A point to note was that Audi's majority of sales are coming from Q7 and Q5. their sedans have flopped. And Audi first set up its first two importers in December 2004, when both the A6 ad A8 were newly launched.

An BMW entered India in 2007 (or 08, correct me for that) January and began their innings with a bang. Mercedes offers 5 engine options and 7 variants of its E class sedans yet is beginning to feel the heat from 5. The 4 cylinder models just look ancient with their 5 speed AT as compared to 8 speed offered by BMW on all its 5 series models. 7G tronic is a must.

And BTW, Audi has now started offering 7 speed DSG (S tronic) gearbox on A4 3.0 TDi instead of earlier tiptronic.
Old 10th September 2010, 09:43   #57
BHPian

Hyundai I20 7134 nos dosent surprise me as its a good VFM Car. No other Car in the catagery has a good Diesel Engine as that of I20. I20 Diesel is more silent than Punto 90HP and power delievery is better than Punto 90HP. The A.S.S of Hyundai is much much better than FIAT's. I am sure that most of its sale or atleast 50% out of 7134 might have come from I20 CRDI. They dont have a clear competation until VW launches(if they) a Diesel POLO 1.6. It will be great to see if a Jazz Diesel is getting launched some where in 2011. But Honda will price that at Par with Vento Diesel.

Last edited by ashok_lat : 10th September 2010 at 09:48.
Old 10th September 2010, 09:47   #58
Senior - BHPian

The polo has raced to become the second best selling "premium hatch" after I20 (leaving punto, fabia and jazz way behind). Brand and quality talks big here. Majority of the sales are coming from comfortline variant.

Interesting to see the Vento VS city battle in the coming months.
Old 10th September 2010, 09:58   #59
BHPian

Excellent post, GTO.
I wonder if any one has done market share analysis by revenue rather than by unit sales.
Old 10th September 2010, 10:34   #60
BHPian

Quote:
The polo has raced to become the second best selling "premium hatch" after I20 (leaving punto, fabia and jazz way behind). Brand and quality talks big here. Majority of the sales are coming from comfortline variant.

Interesting to see the Vento VS city battle in the coming months.
Polo's nos might have increased to another 30% if there delievery periods have been lesser and that too matching with I20 Sales figures.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks