Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2010, 23:40   #91
Senior - BHPian

7000 units for the i20 ! mind blowing.
This should act as a green signal for ford to launch their euro fiesta hatch as there definitely a market for premium hatchbacks in India.
Fortuner as usual the king of the hill.
fiat is slowly loosing the battle.
As usual the Alto outshines everythign else in the market in that price range.
the new k10 stonker is like Icing on the cake.
Diesel or No diesel ANHC need not be worried about the vento in the short term atleast.

P.S good writeup GTO

Last edited by vinaydas : 11th September 2010 at 23:44.
Old 11th September 2010, 23:50   #92
BHPian

i20 sales are really out of the roof.

I believe it could easily edge out swift in demand if the diesel was priced sanely. Mind it, i20 petrol sales are over 80% of it total sales.
Old 12th September 2010, 11:44   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Can't believe FIAT not featuring in this list. Can you please let us know the numbers FIAT has made?
Old 12th September 2010, 11:47   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Cars can be sold as package deals (buy 5 trucks, get 1 S80 free!).
Bad to see the much deserving and tech laden brand like Volvo gets lost in the crowd.

I guess acquisition by Geely will make things only worse for Volvo in India.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 12th September 2010 at 15:14. Reason: Adding quote box instead of "//"
Old 12th September 2010, 11:54   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Can't believe FIAT not featuring in this list. Can you please let us know the numbers FIAT has made?
Fiat's TOTAL sales were just over half of the #20 car on that list -
Scorpio = 3,082
Fiat TOTAL = 1,812 (Linea = 788; Punto = 1,012; Palio = 12)

Please look at the next image in the first post. And the subsequent posts for number breakup. (A2 segment and Sedans)
Old 12th September 2010, 13:21   #96
BHPian

With auto market moving up the 'value chain' with a growing economy, the high-end A2 hatchbacks can only gain in coming times. I remember a time when the top 3 used to be 800, Alto and Santro/ Wagon R. While a couple of them are still there, the increasing sales of i20, Swift and to some extent i10 and Figo are clear indications how market is moving over the last couple of years.

In that respect, Fiat were perfectly placed to take advantage of the market uptrading. How they lost I dont know, that too with a competent product like Punto. All they needed was a good QC in factory, After-Sales would have been a longer-term improvement. FIAT have been given enough time to react and improve product.

The improving sales of Polo just proves the point. Here is a manufacturer with almost negligible dealer network ( compared to others in its segment), with a product having similar inherent traits like Punto with much better QC, with much lesses *** presence, and it is outselling Punto 3:1. Where has all the market knowledge which FIAT gained for 15 years gone? Its painful to see the way things are being managed at FIAT. But then its a bit too late now. Reputations are hard to change.And it seems FIAT is not even trying.
Old 12th September 2010, 15:02   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Its painful to see the way things are being managed at FIAT. But then its a bit too late now. Reputations are hard to change.And it seems FIAT is not even trying.
I completely agree.

They still have time to re write their history. That is not going to be easy though. I wonder what FIAT management has in mind about their Indian strategy.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 12th September 2010 at 15:14. Reason: Please use the quote button to quote posts instead of "//". Thanks.
Old 12th September 2010, 16:41   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekz View Post

In that respect, Fiat were perfectly placed to take advantage of the market uptrading. How they lost I dont know, that too with a competent product like Punto. All they needed was a good QC in factory, After-Sales would have been a longer-term improvement. FIAT have been given enough time to react and improve product.

The improving sales of Polo just proves the point. Here is a manufacturer with almost negligible dealer network ( compared to others in its segment), with a product having similar inherent traits like Punto with much better QC, with much lesses *** presence, and it is outselling Punto 3:1. Where has all the market knowledge which FIAT gained for 15 years gone? Its painful to see the way things are being managed at FIAT. But then its a bit too late now. Reputations are hard to change.And it seems FIAT is not even trying.
The writing on the wall was visible even when the Punto was launched. Fit and finish inside the car was poor, and the customer experience at the showroom was as mediocre as a Tata showroom normally offers. The knowledge that one would have to return to the Tata network for after sales was another dampener.
Fiat had a short window of time to turn a new leaf after their Uno and then Palio disasters, and the writing on the wall was very clear around the time the Beat, Figo and Polo were on the verge of being launched. That they had blown that window and would be swamped by the new entrants that had a better led/managed approach to the market.
It would appear that yet another generation of Fiat enthusiasts will end up at the wrong end of the Fiat stick.
Old 13th September 2010, 11:06   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
One thing i haven't been able to understand is, compared to their old horses a.k.a alto, 800, swift, wagon-r none of the others have been able to replicate their success. The new generation A-Star, Ritz, Estilo. All these are new generation versions of their oldest selling models. And also to some extent sx4.

The A-Star has not been successful because of the poor legroom at the rear and an almost inexistent boot. Serves they right. This ought to be a wake up call for them that they cannot just shove anything down the customer's throat.

The Ritz, as a product is way better put together than any other Maruti till date. As a stand alone product its doing quite well. 5.5-7 k units is the norm for this segment(barring the Swift of course). If it were not for that quirky rear styling, it would have brought in much better numbers.

Coming to the Estilo, its doing good numbers after it got the K series engine, but still, other than the price I don't see any other reason to go in for the Estilo over the WagonR.

Quote:
On the contrary, Hyundai has i10,i20, verna and all these 3 are modern platforms and are very successful. While santro is doing good numbers too. Getz was a disaster, while i20 is successful. Santro was doing good numbers, its replacement worldwide i10 is doing good too. Even accent is doing good number for its age.
The i10 is the best overall package in this segment if you leave out the Swift. Then again, we are seeing only half the story. The 1.1 and 1.2 units cater to two different segments. A split up of these would reveal the actual story. More so beacuse the i10 is straddling two segments starting from 4 lakhs on road going up to about 6 lakhs.

Quote:
I can't understand why? Are the Maruti owners not willing to go for modern versions of their beloved cars? Or is the blind trust?

This is not targeted at you longhorn, but when you wrote, i had this thought. So just shared it hoping for some good replies and not a brand war between Maruti and Hyundai
Maruti owners are not going for newer versions mainly because the older ones are more practical and they are many more options outside Maruti too. Trust has got more to do with the brand rather than the product alone. So, if one can trust a Swift, he should be able to trust the Ritz too, or any other product from the same manufacturer.

I'm not a Maruti fanboy, but right as things stand now, this is the manufacturer that I am willing to put down my money on. This comes from personal experience of owning one, more than anything else. This does not mean that other manufacturers are inferior in any way. It's just that Maruti, as a manufacturer, ticks the most no. of right boxes, at least for me.

Last edited by longhorn : 13th September 2010 at 11:14.
Old 13th September 2010, 11:39   #100
Senior - BHPian

Everybody always likes to own a unique car for his own. I mean to say it should be not so common car in the market. Like Merc, BMW, Audi etc. These are excellent cars but very costly to own & maintain. Fiat is giving you same opportunity in much less price

All knows Linea & Punto are good cars, look wise they better than most in the competition. Fiat also should be happy to maintain there uniqueness in the market with less numbers. So buy Fiat car & enjoy the car, also Uniqueness of it )

Last edited by aniketi : 13th September 2010 at 11:40. Reason: correction
Old 13th September 2010, 11:54   #101
BHPian

No mention of Octavia... finally discontinued, eh?
Old 13th September 2010, 11:59   #102
Senior - BHPian

We always say Maruti will be affected some new launch or the other and every time there is a drop in their sales a lot of people start predicting Maruti's fall from the top, but Maruti pulls back every time proving everyone wrong. Hats off to Maruti.
GM has now tried almost everything to sell its small cars as well as the competition but everything seems to fail after a brief hope or a slight blip in its sales. GM products are by no way inferior to the competition but looks like nothing seems to be working for them.
But if Ford can do it, GM must surely keep trying to succeed.
Old 13th September 2010, 12:21   #103
BHPian

i have seen this being asked for before in the same thread, the breakup of the 800 and the 1000cc alto.

GTO has mentioned the Beat diesel launch soon. It was always being predicted for some time in 2011 IMO. and will the 3 year service warranty help sell more beats is something we have to wait and watch.

BTW great write up GTO.
Old 13th September 2010, 17:04   #104

Breakup of Alto numbers

Great work GTO!

With Alto selling at 28k this month, understanding the K10 impact is really interesting. Is there any way we could get those numbers? Alto K10's success / failure cannot be judged based on Alto's numbers.

May be it is too early, but I have seen only 1 K10 on Bangalore roads till now and I think many other fellow team-bhp' ians agree.
Old 13th September 2010, 21:38   #105
BHPian

Top model of i20 sells more the base and middle model. But when it comes to Swift/Ritz the middle model is the hot cake. Most of the swift/Ritz on road are vxi models. Punto emotion is very common than dynamic or active. Why the customers are more concerned about safety when it comes to i20 than marutis ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks