Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2010, 14:34   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I recall an article about an electronics retailer in the US which flogged Cheap VFM TV's mostly. It used to showcase some pretty big name high end TV's with no intention of selling them ,at outrageous prices. The objective was to help people rationalize their purchase of the cheaper TV's ( people would think - this is so much more of a sensible purchase than the other TV)
I feel Fiat cars are doing the same thing sitting in tata showrooms
Absolutely ! And what surprises more is that cabin quality of tata products feels to be better than their FIAT counterparts. There is something seriously wrong with the JV that soon needs to sorted out. I wish them all the best.
Old 13th September 2010, 14:51   #32
Senior - BHPian

If Fiat wants to beat in-house TATA vehicles, they need to present a thorough modern front. They are doing it in bits and pieces.

They should up the interior quality and provide performance oriented motors to match the exterior styling. They are in denial about their own products.

Last edited by srishiva : 13th September 2010 at 14:53.
Old 13th September 2010, 22:36   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
Absolutely ! And what surprises more is that cabin quality of tata products feels to be better than their FIAT counterparts.
Absolutely ! ..and IMO, its somewhat psychological. You (and I) have a set of theories, imaginations and impressions about a TATA car. We are prejudicial by default against it. When we walk into the showroom, approach a Manza, peer inside and all those theories, imaginations and impressions collapse around us. I owned an an Indica V2 DLS for 6 years; my wifey looked at me in total disbelief after seeing the Manza's cockpit/steering when we went to book our Punto. It was the highlight of that evening.

As our GTO has said, the Manza is their first "true" car.

I will never buy a Tata Motors product again for several reasons - a lack of respect I get from some folks is the prime reason . I drive a Fiat now and I bought it only because it is supported by Tata. A world-class vehicle that is built around typical European safety philosophy, an affordable driver's car that is advanced and refreshingly different - backed by India's best-known brand. I trust Tata more than any Japs, esp. Suzuki which is determined to kill as many Indians as possible.

To sum up:
- those who opted for the Manza have taken the right decision; it's a very good car IMO. Its' a lot more-car-per-car.
- those few who opted for the Fiats have also taken the right decision; for the above-said reasons.
- we know these factors because we are TBHPians. 99.9x percent are not aware, because they are not TBHPians.
- and that's the catch; people are unaware about Fiat's strengths; Fiat is not interested in advertising/campaigns.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 13th September 2010 at 22:54.
Old 13th September 2010, 23:57   #34
BHPian

Good Analysis sidindica. Its always a good idea to know what sells and what not to rationalise your product line, whichever business you are in.

However, I don't feel that eliminating the 1.2 would be a good idea as they get to enjoy the excise benefits. This enables them to have an affordable offering towards the lower end of the segment. This is the price range where the lower spec versions of even its rivals are positioned (i20 and Figo, even the Polo Trendline). Thus, Punto can ill-afford to vacate this position.

Again there is absolutely no doubt that they have to reduce the number of variants. And as mentioned in the first post, dynamic has lost its relevance in the entire line-up. So drop it FIAT and replace the FGT with VGT...why keep a less powerful and older engine when you have a more powerful one, and one which your rivals don't put in all their hatchbacks. The volumes will take care of extra cost.

Somehow I feel that FIAT are too disconnected from what is happening in the end-market. They have taken too long to react with the VGT in Punto, that too when they always had the engine available in Linea.

IMHO, Linea holds a better potential than Punto in this market. Although it has City and the upcoming Vento to face, it still has a more distinct image and recall in its segment than what Punto has in its segment. If only FIAT could improve the quality (hasn't it been months with everyone wishing for it), and do some well-thought promotion to increase awareness, Linea can be the ray of hope FIAT desperately needs. And bring out the T-Jet right away.
Old 14th September 2010, 14:35   #35
Senior - BHPian

Fiat makes affordable drivers' cars for the enthusiasts and those who love long drives.
That's what they have been known for in India, at least. I can understand their bringing in fuel-efficient engines to dispel their negative image, but unless they bring in some powerful options as well, they are losing their primary customer base: the enthusiasts who are on a budget (like me!). Today, power and economy are not mutually exclusive (check out Hyundai diesels).

It is true that a Fiat Linea cannot compare with a Tata Manza on the space or practicality front. On the other hand, the enthusiast know the Manza cannot compete with the Linea on ride and handling. If the two are compared on similar criteria by the consumer, then it would be a disaster for the Tata Fiat JV marketing, which it currently is. It is for their marketing to ensure that the "true fan" doesn't walk across to, say Ford or VW, by diluting the Fiat experience. There is not much hope for the average Joe who will pick up the cheaper Manza anyway.

Instead of screaming hoarse about the "Italian looks" "crafted for the true fan", Fiat should concentrate on "out-accelarates Verna on 30-80, 40-100 in gear" and "best-in-class ride and handling combo, even at triple digit speeds".

I think there is a clear lack of focus here.
Tata is for great space, VFM, Indian pride et al.
Fiat is for the enthusiast on a budget.
Old 14th September 2010, 16:10   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Suzuki which is determined to kill as many Indians as possible.
How?
How would Suzuki kill people by selling Cars? Do they have an inherent flaw?
Old 14th September 2010, 16:37   #37
BHPian

i would love it if the fiat 500 was manufactured locally at a price tag of 6-7 lakhs,would generate a lot of interest
Old 14th September 2010, 18:24   #38
J.Ravi

The need of the hour is to have at least one exclusive Fiat dealership/authorised service station in each metropolitan city even if it means more investment. In other cities/towns, the existing dealership/service station could be bifurcated so that Fiat products will have dedicated area.

Old 18th October 2010, 23:46   #39
BHPian

saw this article in today's Hindustan times . FIAT, pull up your socks

source -
Fiat wobbles amid India boom - Hindustan Times
Quote:
While most domestic carmakers are scaling new peaks in sales and facing aggressive demand, Fiat India is down in the dumps. The Italian company is the only one whose sales have fallen in the first six months of 2010-11. Riding on the Punto and the Linea, launched a year ago, it GA_googleFillSlot("ht_story_top_lhs_200x200&q uot;

had appeared as though Fiat would post its first quarterly profit in over four years, in the April-June quarter. However, as the numbers now suggest, both these cars — which helped the company bounce back in Europe, are losing steam in India. Between April and September this year, Fiat’s sales have declined by 8 per cent to 11,863 units against 12,893 units sold in the same period last year. Domestic passenger car sales however, zoomed 33.6 per cent to 9.2 lakh units in the first six months this year.
So where has Fiat gone wrong?
"It is a classic case of how you falter with a winning product," said an auto analyst on condition of anonymity. "This is a celebrated carmaker that has been in India for ages. They also have very good products but somehow manage to make a mess of it. First, it was the Uno and Siena then came the Palio and now the Linea and Punto."
Fiat India did not respond to questions from Hindustan Times sent 10 days ago, seeking its views on the downturn.
A common explanation for its slump is a big gap in after-sales service in which it has changed tack from being on its own to switching partners, from the Doshi group to the Tatas.
Customers seem to be finding service gaps linked to the issues.
Software industry executive KV Subrahmanyam said his Linea’s air conditioning unit developed problems, and that Tata Motors, its service agency, attributed it to design problems over which it had no control.
"The design issues have been acknowledged by the Fiat showroom and has been referred to Tata motors in Pune," Subrahmanyam said. "My neighbour too bought a Linea in January, and has reported same issues."

FIAT sales In recent past
Tata Fiat passenger car JV-the way forward-18_10_10_fiats.jpg

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 18th October 2010 at 23:48. Reason: added graphics
Old 18th October 2010, 23:58   #40
BHPian

I fear that Fiat might get feedup and would go the hero honda/ honda way, Tata's have been making their own engines but still I feel that mostly its Fiat engine's that they sell in Indigo/Indica, they seems to have gone easy on their own R&D as far as engines goes.

(Just my thought)
Old 19th October 2010, 19:24   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahss_11 View Post
I fear that Fiat might get feedup and would go the hero honda/ honda way, Tata's have been making their own engines but still I feel that mostly its Fiat engine's that they sell in Indigo/Indica, they seems to have gone easy on their own R&D as far as engines goes.

(Just my thought)
It's buyers world. Fiat is making money for every engine used in Tata Cars. I feel Tata should get license for good Fuel efficient + descent power Petrol engine from a Japanese company.
Old 2nd May 2012, 17:06   #42
BHPian

Re: Tata Fiat passenger car JV-the way forward

THE BIG NEWS HAS FINALLY ARRIVED ..THIS IS OFFICIAL NOW

Fiat and Tata to re-align their Indian joint-venture - Press release Fiat Spa >
Fiat and Tata have agreed that, in order to further develop the Fiat brand in India, management control of Fiat’s commercial and distribution activities will be handed over to a separate Fiat Group owned company. Currently Tata Motors has been managing the distribution responsibility of the Fiat branded products in India through joint Tata-Fiat dealerships.

As part of the growth plans and in order to provide greater focus on the Fiat brand, Tata Motors will hand over the distribution and service responsibility for Fiat cars in India to a Fiat Group owned company being formed for this purpose.

Check out the following link : bit.ly/K1mh8y
FastLove is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 17:23   #43
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the information FastLove. I have extracted the text and here it goes.

Fiat and Tata to re-align their Indian joint-venture
Fiat and Tata have agreed that, in order to further develop the Fiat brand in India, management control of Fiat’s commercial and distribution activities will be handed over to a separate Fiat Group owned company. Currently Tata Motors has been managing the distribution responsibility of the Fiat branded products in India through joint Tata-Fiat dealerships.

As part of the growth plans and in order to provide greater focus on the Fiat brand, Tata Motors will hand over the distribution and service responsibility for Fiat cars in India to a Fiat Group owned company being formed for this purpose.

Announced in 2006, the Fiat-Tata joint venture also encompasses manufacturing activities located in Ranjangaon in the State of Maharashra, India. The manufacturing plant uses state-of-the-art technology to produce Fiat and Tata cars in addition to engines and transmissions for both the Indian and export market and recently announced a contract to supply its Small Diesel Engine to Maruti Suzuki. In its five years of operation, the industrial JV has produced some 190,000 cars and 337,000 powertrains. It will continue with these manufacturing activities as they are outside of the new distribution agreement and will supply cars and powertrains to Fiat and Tata.

Development of the new Fiat dealer network for India will start progressively and the 178 existing Fiat-franchised Tata dealers in 129 cities will be encouraged to form the foundation of the future network.

Fiat will establish a new, separate, company which will assume responsibility for all commercial and service related activities from the current Tata-dedicated team assigned to manage the Fiat brand.

Both, Fiat and Tata will endeavor to ensure a smooth transition of sales and service support to customers and the dealer network.

Another Link - http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/12964882.cms

Last edited by rameshnanda : 2nd May 2012 at 17:35.
Old 2nd May 2012, 17:41   #44
Senior - BHPian

A separate company to handle sales and service. Hmm.. looks good on paper, as usual execution will be the key decider of Fiat's future.

This is very positive news though. All Fiat needs now is some aggressive marketing.
Old 2nd May 2012, 17:52   #45
Senior - BHPian

The Fiat brand has a very poor acceptance among the buying public. It makes decent cars, no doubt and there are many happy owners as well. But none of these are reflecting in their sales. They have been struggling with the Tata JV and were doing a lot worse when they were alone as well.

Fiat needs to dump the brand and market a whole new entity like Lancia or Chrysler (both of which they own). They need to think out of the box because it is pointless flogging a dead horse, they couldnt do it for 15 years and one or two showrooms will not turn things around.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed