Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2010, 09:18   #31
BHPian

Re: Auto and Taxi Fares in India

No city can beat Chennai when it comes to atrocious autos experience.
Not only the fare but their behavior leaves a lot to be desired.
There is virtually no regulation of fares and no auto uses the meter.
Old 13th January 2011, 23:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Auto Taxi Fares - Kerala - hiked again!

Auto Minimum Fare increased from 10 to 12 Rs. As earlier, 1.5 km can be travelled for the minimum fare. Per km charge also increased from 6 to 7 Rs.
Assuming an average mileage of 30 Km/liter for the petrol auto, an increase of fare of 1 Rs per km would give the auto drivers 30 Rs extra for driving on a liter of petrol. Even after factoring the increase in maintenance expenses, 30 Rs gain for a 3 Rupee rise in Petrol cost seems unfair.

Taxi Minimum Fare increased from 50 to 60 Rs. Per kilometer charge increased from 7.5 to 8 Rs.
Old 13th January 2011, 23:44   #33
Senior - BHPian

The difference in fares between Auto and taxi has narrowed further with the present hike in Kerala ie., Keral.

The funniest of the auto folks are of the Trivandrum city. They will pick up their fares only if they wish and that too if the destination is in the direction in which they are at that time.
Old 14th January 2011, 09:53   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The difference in fares between Auto and taxi has narrowed further with the present hike in Kerala ie., Keral.

The funniest of the auto folks are of the Trivandrum city. They will pick up their fares only if they wish and that too if the destination is in the direction in which they are at that time.
It is not just Trivandrum. The trend has been there since ages in Bangalore. They will accept a fare only if they are in the mood to ride, if the destination is not interior part of the city, the roads/traffic there are good and depending on what time of the day it is.
Old 14th January 2011, 18:28   #35
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Delhi - Travel in a taxi, pay for an auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
While the air conditioned radio taxis charge Rs. 20 per kilometre, the black and white taxis charge Rs. 20 for the first kilometre travelled and Rs. 11 for every subsequent kilometre.
The introduction of low-fare radio taxi is part of government's effort to provide a much safer alternative to autorickshaws in the wake of evergrowing complaints accusing auto drivers of fleecing commuters.
The autorickshaws charge Rs. 19 for first two kilometres and Rs. 6.50 for each subsequent kilometre.
What car are they using for this. I hope we get CNG Nanos pretty soon to replace these crappy autos.
Old 14th January 2011, 18:44   #36
Team-BHP Support

Re: New Delhi - Travel in a taxi, pay for an auto

Quote:
Source: Travel in a taxi, pay for an auto

Travel in a taxi, pay for an auto
Press Trust of India, Updated: December 07, 2010 21:42 IST
While the air conditioned radio taxis charge Rs. 20 per kilometre, the black and white taxis charge Rs. 20 for the first kilometre travelled and Rs. 11 for every subsequent kilometre.
The introduction of low-fare radio taxi is part of government's effort to provide a much safer alternative to autorickshaws in the wake of evergrowing complaints accusing auto drivers of fleecing commuters.
The autorickshaws charge Rs. 19 for first two kilometres and Rs. 6.50 for each subsequent kilometre.
Rs. 20/km?? Isn't Meru/Easycabs etc. 50 bucks for the 1st 3km and Rs 15 subsequently?

Meru has with this new thing since quite some time. If you book a cab through their call centre, they charge 50 bucks extra than the regular fare. If you book it through their website (which ain't reliable), this charge is waived off.
Old 14th January 2011, 18:53   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
No city can beat Chennai when it comes to atrocious autos experience.
Not only the fare but their behavior leaves a lot to be desired.
There is virtually no regulation of fares and no auto uses the meter.
I agree. I do not use autos in Chennai at all. It is much better to use the Fasttrack cabs as they charge you Rs 100 for the first 5 kms and 10-12 Rs for every subsequent km. Its worth it as there is no hassle of having to bargain wit the autorickshaw guy every time. Only issue is getting a cab during the peak hours without prior notice.
Old 29th April 2011, 16:28   #38
Senior - BHPian

I stopped using my regular taxi (neighbor) because he started charging me 400 Rs, and my parents 250 Rs, for the same distance. As per rules, the charge for this distance should be less than 200 Rs, even if you have to pay for return trip.

What irritated me most is that people living in the same house have to pay different rates. Technopark effect?
Old 29th April 2011, 23:39   #39
BHPian

One hardly sees Taxis in Mumbai suburbs, its either cool cabs or Meru - which is damn good considering that Taxis are in such a dilapidated condition, that a few dents more, and even scrap dealers would be embarrased to keep them in their yard.

Auto-rickshaws are even worse. I am simply amazed at the tens of hundreds of violations each rickshaw driver commits within a km drive.
Old 30th April 2011, 02:04   #40
Senior - BHPian

Note from Support: Please use MULTI-QUOTE / QUOTE+ while responding to multiple posts. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Rs. 20/km?? Isn't Meru/Easycabs etc. 50 bucks for the 1st 3km and Rs 15 subsequently?

Meru has with this new thing since quite some time. If you book a cab through their call centre, they charge 50 bucks extra than the regular fare. If you book it through their website (which ain't reliable), this charge is waived off.

Meru charges are different in different cities. In Delhi it is Rs. 20 per km

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
It is not just Trivandrum. The trend has been there since ages in Bangalore. They will accept a fare only if they are in the mood to ride, if the destination is not interior part of the city, the roads/traffic there are good and depending on what time of the day it is.

In Hyderabad (it was the same when I was in Bangalore) when you hail an auto and tell the guy where you want to go, he first pretends to think, next he wants the exact location, next he tells you the first arbitrary number that enters his head as the fare he is going to charge you.

Once you know the drill it is funny enough.

The other day an auto walla asked me for Rs 120 for going from Kukatpally to Banjara Hills, normal fare is Rs 85 or so (by meter). and this after he had asked me the normal fare.

So I made a counter offer - Rs. 60

Finally I agreed for Rs 80 (the guy was going in the same direction anyway)

I hope more people do the same to them.

Quote:
Auto Taxi Fares - Kerala - hiked again!

Auto Minimum Fare increased from 10 to 12 Rs. As earlier, 1.5 km can be travelled for the minimum fare. Per km charge also increased from 6 to 7 Rs.
Assuming an average mileage of 30 Km/liter for the petrol auto, an increase of fare of 1 Rs per km would give the auto drivers 30 Rs extra for driving on a liter of petrol. Even after factoring the increase in maintenance expenses, 30 Rs gain for a 3 Rupee rise in Petrol cost seems unfair.

Taxi Minimum Fare increased from 50 to 60 Rs. Per kilometer charge increased from 7.5 to 8 Rs.
Well Hyderabad is more expensive - Rs.14 for first 1.5km, 8/km later. Also 50% extra past 10:30pm.

Most auto guys will ask you for more - but you can negotiate (see my post above)

Can everyone send the fare for their cities? Also mention the special quirks of the auto/taxi guys.

Last edited by aah78 : 30th April 2011 at 18:02. Reason: See note.
Old 30th April 2011, 07:13   #41
BHPian

Recently i booked a ticket through makemytrip.com, and they have a link where you can book a cab through EasyCabs, with a 10% discount. That works to Rs. 13.5 a km, which is not a bad deal for a Logan type AC cab in Bangalore.

PS: The regular rate is Rs 15 per km.
Old 30th April 2011, 12:52   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Recently i booked a ticket through makemytrip.com, and they have a link where you can book a cab through EasyCabs, with a 10% discount. That works to Rs. 13.5 a km, which is not a bad deal for a Logan type AC cab in Bangalore.

PS: The regular rate is Rs 15 per km.
can you send the link to that?
Old 30th August 2011, 01:20   #43
Senior - BHPian

I found the Auto drivers in Cochin to be better. I paid the minimum 12 Rs while I was in Cochin recently - something unheard of, since I am from Trivandrum.
Old 30th August 2011, 08:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I found the Auto drivers in Cochin to be better. I paid the minimum 12 Rs while I was in Cochin recently - something unheard of, since I am from Trivandrum.
Auto drivers in Cochin do not fleece customers. I don't negotiate the fare beforehand like I do in Bangalore, when I take a trip to the Railway Station. They don't switch on the meter but the rates are pretty close to that of the pre paid counter at the Railway Station.

The reason could be that, one cannot find the good old Bajaj RE anymore. All the autos are Diesel Piaggios. And I guess they are very easy on the pocket to run. But kudos to the Auto drivers to pass this benefit to the customer.

The only complaint is that, the Piaggio is not at all comfortable and the ride at the back is no where near the Bajaj RE. And the Monsoon hit roads of EKM doesn't help either. If you have back trouble, you'll be better off in a Taxi. A Piaggio ride is not good at all for your troubled back.
Old 30th August 2011, 09:24   #45
BHPian

Attended a conference on Saturday and found that there is now a way to SMS and get the auto fares in your city. One can send an SMS to 9243342000 and give the keyword @autofare

This is a free service. Apparently, you need to give distance between 2 places and it will tell you the auto fare for that city and all the landmarks along the way. This was being called a "txtweb app"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks