Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2012, 12:11   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max
In Bangalore, these are the following rates (by possession of a laptop bag)

Local + no laptop bag - haggling but mostly meter

Local + laptop bag - haggling with x fixed amount on top of meter

One tip is don't ask how much is the cost et all. Just ask in Kannada "xyz ge bartira" where xyz is your destination name. Ask wit a straight face. Practice the above sentence few times and make it sound as near to local lingo. That should do the trick . Also check with your local friends whether they are charged by meter or like this. You can get an idea

Last edited by mobike008 : 18th May 2012 at 16:13. Reason: Its not required to quote whole post. It inconveniences our mobile users...Thanks!
Old 18th May 2012, 12:13   #62
BHPian

Re: Auto and Taxi Fares in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
In Bangalore, these are the following rates (by possession of a laptop bag)
Laptop bag .

I am sure there are clear laid down rules in terms of fares that can be charged and also that meters must be used but then I am sure the powerful auto unions care to hoots. Curiously enough the cops will never demonstrate as much vigor, well let me correct myself, they will not even lift a finger to enforce them. Unlike what is being shown in the case of stripping out films just because the SC is now looking down upon it. The extremely sad story of India.

In Kolkata the fares for the taxis have been revised upwards only if it is after 10:30 PM till 4:30 AM. The additional charge is 15% of the normal charge. The outcome of this has been, as the clock hands tick towards 10 PM, the taxis start refusing customers and wait till it is 10:30 PM. I personally feel the taxi fares in Kolkata are a little lower than what they should be. For example a 16 km ride during daytime hours comes to ideally Rs 162 in a non-rigged meter. The calculation is Rs 22 flat for the first 2 kms and then Rs 1 increments for every 100 meters. I don't think taxi fares are as low in other big cities from my experience. As a result all meters are rigged here and the same trip in the same taxi on a totally empty stretch of road will come up with different results. I have my serious doubts what mileage the old Amby taxis here give to the owners pushing up their operating costs. I am sure the Indigo CS would be a better option but for the stubborn refusal of the RTO here to let Indigos replace the Ambys. The government is also not ready to let the taxi drivers raise the fares so I guess the loot will continue .
Old 18th May 2012, 12:30   #63
BHPian

@Mad Max:

You should submit a thesis on "Autowalas and how their brain works".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
May I request some of our local Bangy friends to educate us on some chit-chat terms and sentences that we can use to haggle? How to ask if auto will come to destination x? How much are you asking? I will give only x. No, this is too much, I'll pay only x. And so on..

If someone drives me to the destination with the meter running, I usually tip him an extra 10Rs or round off to the next *ty Rs.
I am a non-local and couldnt learn kannada even after 11 years here. But i have been using autos daily for few years now and follow some simple guidelines:

1. Never ask the auto-stand guys. They are the most arrogant ones and good at asking a percentage of your salary. Opt for running autos. They are the ones seriously looking for a fare and most reasonable.

2. Avoid rush hour. During rush hour, they are sure to get someone. They also know that you are in a hurry. So they pick and choose the highest paying passenger. 30 mins before rush hour is the correct time. This will give you time to wait for a reasonable charging autowala.

3. Learn kannada words for: "Why extra?", "Use meter" etc. They will tone down once you use kannada.

4. If an autowala quotes double or ridiculous amount, dont haggle. Just walk away and look for another one. This guy is either trying to swindle you or simply not interested.

Hope his helped.
Pallavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 12:34   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
I personally feel the taxi fares in Kolkata are a little lower than what they should be. For example a 16 km ride during daytime hours comes to ideally Rs 162 in a non-rigged meter. The calculation is Rs 22 flat for the first 2 kms and then Rs 1 increments for every 100 meters. I don't think taxi fares are as low in other big cities from my experience.
fare is more or less on the same lines in Mumbai. 17 rupee for first 1.6 Km and then 10.5 rupee for each subsequent Km.
most of the electronic meters are not rigged as of yet - however most of the older taxis (premier padminis) have old manual meters and are not that reliable.
Old 18th May 2012, 12:53   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
fare is more or less on the same lines in Mumbai. 17 rupee for first 1.6 Km and then 10.5 rupee for each subsequent Km.
most of the electronic meters are not rigged as of yet - however most of the older taxis (premier padminis) have old manual meters and are not that reliable.
Yes but then all Mumbai taxis run on CNG while the taxis here are running on diesel. CNG I think is still less expensive than diesel isn't it and on an average might give a little better FE.

As for meters being rigged, we have electronic meters too that too with printers attached. But the Amby itself is built such that it can be rigged left and right. I have heard that the gear boxes are rigged by fudging the teeth in the gears. Another nice way is using an electric wire attached to the electronic meter the other end of which is near the steering which is periodically touched to some metal area by the taxi driver to make the meter jump. Believe me there is a highly thriving industry out here showcasing the innovation in rigging taxi meters .
Old 21st May 2012, 02:36   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Yes but then all Mumbai taxis run on CNG while the taxis here are running on diesel. CNG I think is still less expensive than diesel isn't it and on an average might give a little better FE.

As for meters being rigged, we have electronic meters too that too with printers attached. But the Amby itself is built such that it can be rigged left and right. I have heard that the gear boxes are rigged by fudging the teeth in the gears. Another nice way is using an electric wire attached to the electronic meter the other end of which is near the steering which is periodically touched to some metal area by the taxi driver to make the meter jump. Believe me there is a highly thriving industry out here showcasing the innovation in rigging taxi meters .
+1 to that and there is a meter countdown in every meter which does 100 to 0 , you will notice that it keeps skipping numbers, this is a simple case where the meter is jumping very slightly though but you end up loosing 100 metres every km. Sometimes you wont even realize that you have been ripped. I used my GPS once when it showed 12 kms bt the meter was showing somewhere close to 13.5kms after travel.
Old 24th May 2012, 11:32   #67
Senior - BHPian

Petrol price increased by almost 7.5 Rs. Wonder what the 'unofficial' new auto rates would be?
Old 29th May 2012, 08:37   #68
BHPian

There are lot of discussion in this thread about auto fares and advantage of being localite.
Can any city challenge the Chennai Auto Guys. They dont have partiality. Even the natives are subject to sky high fares.
After the fuel price hike, things are worse. Even the few autos that run on LPG hike the fares citing fuel price hike.

I can openly challenge anyone to show me a auto running on meter in Chennai.

Lot has to be blamed on the people also. They are used to this culture and no one insist the auto guys to put on the meter.
Old 29th May 2012, 10:55   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Petrol price increased by almost 7.5 Rs. Wonder what the 'unofficial' new auto rates would be?
New Auto Rates?

Does petrol prices effect Autos anymore? Because I believe most of the Autos in cities are not converted to CNG & are not concerned by Petrol Price hikes.

Also in small towns those running on Petrol often mix Kerosene to bring down the running cost.

Thanks,
Old 29th May 2012, 11:01   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
After the fuel price hike, things are worse. Even the few autos that run on LPG hike the fares citing fuel price hike.
Chennai autos still run on petrol ? That is so September 10th. No wonder they would be very exorbitant. At least in all big cities I know the autos have been forced to convert to either LPG or CNG. In fact, since the last couple of years the high court here have forced all two stroke autos running on that deadly mix of petrol and kerosene to change to four stroke LPG autos in the city metropolitan area. Quite shocked to hear Chennai still has petrol autos.

Hah, maybe one more thing to boast about for Kolkata after KKR win's over CSK . Kidding.
Old 29th May 2012, 12:53   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Chennai autos still run on petrol ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Because I believe most of the Autos in cities are not converted to CNG & are not concerned by Petrol Price hikes.
In Chennai, atleast 90% of the auto's run on petrol. Even if the Hon'ble Supreme Court banned auto's running in Petrol, the chennai situation will not change. All these auto's are run by local politicians , policeman , etc.
Old 29th May 2012, 14:38   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
At par with the petrol hike

"madam, Rs.20 extra, petrol hike madam"
"Isnt it LPG auto"
"Same government madam. Today petrol, tomorrow LPG"

Atleast, everyone is united against the price hike.

Quote:
New Auto Rates?

Does petrol prices effect Autos anymore? Because I believe most of the Autos in cities are not converted to CNG & are not concerned by Petrol Price hikes.
Since when are autowalas arguments logical. They increase fares just beacuse...
Pallavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 16:06   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
New Auto Rates?

How often are LPG/CNG rates revised?

If what you said was true, why would auto unions ask for rate hikes at all? They created a tamasha in B'lore only a few months back when petrol went up by ~Rs. 5 over couple of months.
Old 29th May 2012, 17:40   #74
Senior - BHPian

One more tactic Ive found in Bangalore is this:
1. Always take a running auto. No stand guys.
2. When you flag down an auto and he comes over, announce your destination and look around as if searching for another auto. They usually feel the competitive need to not lose a customer, and would come with you.
3. Avoid those who quote abnormally high (150%, 200%) etc, as they are clearly not interested or thinking, let me make a bounty for my efforts., like someone has posted above.
Old 29th October 2012, 18:12   #75
Senior - BHPian

Unconfirmed news reports in Kerala:
Minimum Auto Fare to be raised from 12 Rs to 15 Rs.
Per kilometer charge to be raised from 7 Rs to 8 Rs.
Govt is in talks with the union, and has almost agreed to the new rates.

But I think Trivandrum people are already paying minimum 20 Rs

Last edited by jinojohnt : 29th October 2012 at 18:16.

Most Viewed