Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2010, 15:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

@Anil - The couples are risking their life NOT at Ford's request, rather they're participating at their will. If the couple feel they're risking, they better not participate. Simple isn't it?

Food, IMO, should be taken care by Ford. Later as someone participates, we'll get to know the updates.

Its just Ford has expressed their interest & has laid down their ground rules, if couple are uncomfortable, they needn't participate right? So IMO, they know before hand what they're going to do as what is called "promoting"

Quote:
What if they are not reckless and still something happens?
Quite unfortunate; Ford should help them & that's the reason to have assistance right? They aren't simply leaving the couple wander

Quote:
Here ford is getting free publicity. I hope you are not thinking Ford is doing this for charity!
101% No & that's why I said its a mutual benefit for both

PS - I don't own a car from Ford, I don't intent to buy a car from Ford, myself or my relatives don't work for Ford nor have received any help from Ford in the past or in the present nor expecting in the future. I'm just penning down my thoughts
Old 14th September 2010, 15:54   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
So to make it worthwhile for any such couple to do this, either:
a) Ford should not lay down so many rules in the terms & conditions
or
b) Ford should compensate for these services. I am not sure what that "great destination" is going to be, whether it is worth spending a whole sabbatical on this trip for.

I think it is Ford who should be thankful to whoever participates in this, and not the other way around.

OR, all that about blogging and tweeting should not be obligatory.
Pal, no one is holding you to ransom and asking you to take part in the campaign. If you choose to take part, its upto the company to frame the rules.

For example : While i would like to be employed by more than one company and earn multiple incomes, my current employer states that i cannot. I read it, understand it and do accordingly. i can always choose not to take up the offer.

As for the part about there being so many rules, if you were to let ou your home for rent, wouldnt you do all you can to make sure your investment is safe? Hope you realize what i am getting at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Do you mind sharing how it was different? I mean practically these are the terms and conditions. Even I got every excited seeing this on Facebook, and went to the site to register myself. But I was disappointed after reading these terms. Yeah, I guess you can consider the reward at the end of the tour (free tour to some "great destination") as a compensation, but I wouldn't, if I am taking my wife with me, committing myself to drive (and commiting her to drive) long distances at specified times in specified routes, and committing myself to post certain content on my own blog, Facebook etc, take responsibility of a vehicle etc.
Not all promotional campaigns have a specified reward at the end that is motivating enough. For many, its not just the destination, but the journey.. and such people would like to take part. For eg: MTV Roadies doesnt guarantee what the winner would take home.. but for the participants, there is a lot they reap and also possibly lose in the process.
Old 14th September 2010, 16:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

Just went through the official website - in great detail.
This is a promotional for Ford (DUH!) and they are offering an "experience" in return for marketing publicity. Anyone enamoured of being a part of some glitzy events can apply!!
If you can read between the lines - this is for their so called "Sandeep" target market.
Terms & Conditions and fine print are par for the course, I guess.

How about Ford India take a leaf from the Fiesta marketing campaign they had in the US of A? Give the Figo to a bunch of Sandeeps for free for a year in return for blogs/posts? The buzz around the Fiesta in USA is similar to the buzz in India around the Figo.

And why not let Figo owners drive along anyway? I would love to drive ... any excuse will do
Old 14th September 2010, 16:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

I am sure there will be lot of enthusiastic couples who will turn up to enjoy the Pan India experience on 4 wheels. However Ford wants to absolve itself out of any liability arising out of accidents /mishaps, defensive play Ford.

Interesting to note that Ford literally wants Free drivers who can write about their road experiences on blogs, indeed a good way to promote and build up Brand presence and build brand followers.
Old 14th September 2010, 16:55   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Just went through the official website - in great detail.
This is a promotional for Ford (DUH!) and they are offering an "experience" in return for marketing publicity. Anyone enamoured of being a part of some glitzy events can apply!!
If you can read between the lines - this is for their so called "Sandeep" target market.
Terms & Conditions and fine print are par for the course, I guess.

How about Ford India take a leaf from the Fiesta marketing campaign they had in the US of A? Give the Figo to a bunch of Sandeeps for free for a year in return for blogs/posts? The buzz around the Fiesta in USA is similar to the buzz in India around the Figo.

And why not let Figo owners drive along anyway? I would love to drive ... any excuse will do
Bingo! Its nothing but an innovative marketing from Ford rather than the celebratory 50,000th Figo. Its too early for Figo to launch a celebration campaign of this stature.
Nevertheless, this is a good strategy to woo in their target consumers. As we were discussing in the other 'Beat facing heat' thread, having a marketing strategy directed at a high volume target consumer really helped the Figo sales and I think campaigns of this kind will clearly help it more.

P.S : Instead of having so many terms and conditions, they could have just kept one. "Only Sandeeps are allowed". :P
Old 14th September 2010, 17:19   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Ford Figo India Tour

Remember the Great Driving Challenge by HM-Mitsubishi (link to related thread)? Here's Fords version of the same concept.

Ford Figo India Tour

Excerpts from the official communication received:
Quote:
To celebrate the 50,000th Ford Figo, Ford India is announcing the Ford Figo Smart & Smarter India Tour, a unique drive for young couples who love road adventure and want to discover India. The car that they will drive in will be the 50,000th Ford Figo.

Ford will select four recently married couples who will drive the 50,000th Ford Figo on a pre-decided route in October 2010. The tour spans across three weeks, will be flagged off in Chandigarh and culminate in Chennai - the hometown of the Ford Figo. The 50,000th Figo will pass through Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Gwalior, Indore, Nagpur, Hyderabad, and Bangalore. Each chosen couple will drive one leg of the route (3-5 days) and hand over the car to the next.

The tour will be an 'all-expenses-paid' road trip. They will tell the world about the journey live and online with photos, videos and anecdotes. And once the trip ends, the couples will get an 'all-expenses-paid vacation' to an interesting destination in India. There is also a ‘Most Popular couple’ cash prize of Rs. 50,000 that will be awarded to the couple who get or generate the maximum number of positive comments on their online updates and blog posts.

Check out the tour on Ford Figo India Tour
Old 14th September 2010, 18:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
. Simple isn't it?

Similarly people who found the terms ridiculous and do not want to participate would do so and share their thoughts, simple isn't it?

There is no harm in putting forth your view, but trying to sell yours hard is a turn off, at least for me!

If you did not then my sincere apologies, I just found your post like that!
Old 14th September 2010, 20:40   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I think most of the rules are fair enough!

The basic reason for Ford saying that the car is couple's responsibility is to make sure they dont abuse the car ! If I am driving a car which is not at all my responsibility, I will try all the limits on that car which may end up in undesirable consequences.

By stating this rule, Ford sees two advantages -- no reckless driving which will attribute to safer driving for the occupants, better treatment of the car.

So the driver + navigator also stand to gain from this.

Plus, all paid trip is cool to have! you get to drive a special edition car, completely paid for all expenses and no worries on the maintenance unless you yourself get into a mess !

Add to it, you get an additional package, that too all expenses paid trip.

Better, you stand a chance to win 50,000 bucks; what for -- enjoying an all paid trip !!!

The only point which I didnt like is the "only positive comment" part -- thats not fair enough -- If they are so confident of the product, it should not be even a part of the rules ! Do we have a problem here ??
Old 14th September 2010, 20:49   #24
BHPian

• It is only for couples - Check
  • Both husband and wife need to have valid driving licenses - Check
  • The couple is obligated to drive on the routes given by Ford, at the time they specify - Check
  • The couple is obligated to drive for long hours if necessary - Check
  • The couple is obligated to post on blogs, Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, their own Internet domans etc etc about the trip - Check(got to create accounts though)
  • Smoking and EATING in vehicles is not permitted - Check(I dont eat even in my own car, dont smoke or drink too)
  • The couple is fully responsible for the vehicle. - Check
Plus, I work for Ford, so BAM - leave is not an issue too.
Would be On Duty !

Securing leave for wife is difficult though. 4 weeks -

Last edited by Brix : 14th September 2010 at 20:51.
Old 14th September 2010, 20:59   #25
Joy
BHPian

Just a question to all, after 4 weeks of leave, how many of you can expect to get a leave to enjoy the paid vacation trip?
Old 14th September 2010, 21:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
  • It is only for couples - Check
  • Both husband and wife need to have valid driving licenses - Check
  • The couple is obligated to drive on the routes given by Ford, at the time they specify - Check
  • The couple is obligated to drive for long hours if necessary - Check
  • The couple is obligated to post on blogs, Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, their own Internet domans etc etc about the trip - Check(got to create accounts though)
  • Smoking and EATING in vehicles is not permitted - Check(I dont eat even in my own car, dont smoke or drink too)
  • The couple is fully responsible for the vehicle. - Check
Would be On Duty !

Dude,try talking to your boss. What about bachelors like us? This ain't fair. As someone said, any excuse to drive would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Just a question to all, after 4 weeks of leave, how many of you can expect to get a leave to enjoy the paid vacation trip?
ROFLMAO
Old 15th September 2010, 10:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Does someone remember Yamaha's Fazer roadtrip with couples? I was excited about that, but I didn't get time to go to the auditions, even after getting invitation (Guess everyone who applied got invitation for the selection!). Later I read on their blog, that the daily contest ranged from bizarre to weird, including getting random persons in hotel to order a plate for the contestant him/herself, working in Yamaha showroom to sell the R12/Fazer and so on. In the end I was glad I didn't waste time in that.

I hope Ford does it professionally, and not exploit the eager contestants. I wonder why the 'recently married couples' part. What about those married not so recently!
Old 15th September 2010, 11:18   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
Would be On Duty !

Hmm, how about the clause "All employees (and their relatives) of Ford India and its group companies, various agencies and dealerships are not eligible to participate in this contest "
Old 15th September 2010, 11:42   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Precisely my thoughts too ! But do the couples need to be available for entire 3-4 weeks? From what I understand, there is one single special edition car [the 50,000th one] which will do the entire travelling. One couple will be selected to done one stage of it and hand over the car to the next couple at the end of their stage. One stage will typically last 3-5 days. So why 3-4 weeks when you are supposed to be driving only for 3-5 days ? Or is Ford planning to give some training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Dude,try talking to your boss. What about bachelors like us? This ain't fair. As someone said, any excuse to drive would do.

ROFLMAO
+100 to it ! Why not bachelors? This is not fair ! I can find a girl friend for driving along with me for this contest ! But cant marry someone just for one drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grules View Post
Hmm, how about the clause "All employees (and their relatives) of Ford India and its group companies, various agencies and dealerships are not eligible to participate in this contest "
Yep..that could very well apply too ! Anyway ALL THE BEST. If you go thru, i am sure you will stand more chances to win the "most popular couple" as well!
Old 15th September 2010, 11:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Similarly people who found the terms ridiculous and do not want to participate would do so and share their thoughts, simple isn't it?
Yes, simple

Quote:
There is no harm in putting forth your view, but trying to sell yours hard is a turn off, at least for me!
Pls show me a line, where I was trying to sell a point; why would I want to sell something for free to Ford ? Like you said before, I'm not participating & I'm sharing my thoughts. I couldn't find as much negative with those points put across by Ford.

Quote:
If you did not then my sincere apologies, I just found your post like that!
Cool buddy

Most Viewed