Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2010, 13:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford Figo India Tour

Ford India has made a "big" announcement, about the All-India Tour they are conducting. I was kind-of excited and immediately went to register at Ford Figo India Tour , but thankfully I read through the Terms & Conditions and FAQs before doing that.

So here's how it works:
  • It is only for couples
  • Both husband and wife need to have valid driving licenses
  • The couple is obligated to drive on the routes given by Ford, at the time they specify
  • The couple is obligated to drive for long hours if necessary
  • The couple is obligated to post on blogs, Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, their own Internet domans etc etc about the trip
  • Smoking and EATING in vehicles is not permitted
  • The couple is fully responsible for the vehicle.

Terms & Conditions link: Ford Figo Smart & Smarter India Tour | Terms and Conditions
FAQ Link: Ford Figo Smart & Smarter India Tour | FAQs

My take on this: After reading all the terms & conditions, this sounds more like working for Ford and doing a full campaign free of charge AND being personally responsible for the vehicle, than going on a vacation. Personally I would never do it unless Ford paid me to do it, and even then I would work as an employee and not take up personal responsibility for Ford's assets.

Thoughts?
Old 14th September 2010, 13:27   #2
BHPian

This is funny. Ford wants free drivers for their campaign. Nothing more than that. They want us to spare 4 weeks from work and drive their cars.

Quote:
Do we get a prize if we’re selected as one of the lucky couples?
The great drive through the Indian heartland in a special Ford Figo is the “prize”. We will also take care of your expenses during the trip. What’s more, each couple will get an all-expenses-paid vacation to a great destination in India. There is also‘Most Loved Couple’ prize money of Rs. 50,000 to be won.
Another funny clause from the privacy policy.

Quote:
All updates by the couples will be on the Ford communities – blog, Facebook, Orkut, and Twitter. While participants can also update on their own profiles, only positive comments on the Ford communities will be counted for the ‘Most Popular Couple’ contest. Participants agree and acknowledge without any objection, that their profile including their pictures, names and other details may be displayed in the media including blogs, social networking websites and Ford web sites.
Old 14th September 2010, 13:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

boooooooooooooo!

This is really funny! But looking at the kind of people who come on MTV's shows I guess there would be many takers for this too!

Heck, may be the whole drive is rigged and these conditions are reverse engineered?

On a positive note this is an intersting advertising campaign though! Lets see how it fares!
Old 14th September 2010, 13:39   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grules View Post
This is funny. Ford wants free drivers for their campaign. Nothing more than that. They want us to spare 4 weeks from work and drive their cars.

Another funny clause from the privacy policy.
That's the best way to look at it. Not fair on their part. I would post my experience if it was good and worth sharing but not because I'm forced to do so.
Old 14th September 2010, 13:40   #5
BHPian

Not eating in the car is acceptable by me. Afterall, the car is going to be shared by 4 couples on different stretches. So, keeping it clean is certainly acceptable.

What irritates me is : Ford says that if you register, you are responsible for the car, and would not hold ford responsible for any event - be it an accident or be it theft.

Does not Ford provide insurace atleast for such a long drive? That is pathetic FORD!!
Old 14th September 2010, 13:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Mitsubishi's TGDC last year was far more exciting, involving, professional and most of all, rewarding too. Ford doesn't copy well, it looks like.
Old 14th September 2010, 14:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grules View Post
Exactly! And they want educated drivers who can also play the role of free advertisers by blogging and tweeting for them for free!
Old 14th September 2010, 14:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Why anyone couldn't understand the following?
Quote:
We will also take care of your expenses during the trip.
What’s more, each couple will get an all-expenses-paid vacation to a great destination in India.
There is also‘Most Loved Couple’ prize money of Rs. 50,000 to be won.
Aren't these 3 points not sufficient? And again, taking off from work for 4 weeks is really the most difficult part. Even folks who get married are given not more than 2-3 weeks off from work, while, Ford expects 4 weeks!!!

Quote:
The couple is fully responsible for the vehicle
And the above, I guess, it means that the owner is responsible for any outcome. It doesn't mean insurance is not covered or anything. If a registered car is provided, then, it means, it has a valid insurance cover, unless its expired.

Also from the Terms & Conditions...
Quote:
Ford India will provide the special Figo and support vehicles and technicians for this activity
Old 14th September 2010, 15:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

On a positive note , Figo has reached the milestone pretty quickly , more so because the FIESTA touched the 1 lakh sales mark just some months back .

Meanwhile , each couple is a part of tour for only 4 - 5 days ,
and the total tour is destined for 3 weeks .
Old 14th September 2010, 15:11   #10
Team-BHP Support

I just got the promotional email from Ford india about this campaign. It didnt sound as foolish as we interpreted it here.

Also, there is a reward for the couples involved at the end of the tour, so its not like its being done for free. Some crave the publicity, and the company is only riding on this for the campaign.
Old 14th September 2010, 15:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Aren't these 3 points not sufficient? And again, taking off from work for 4 weeks is really the most difficult part. Even folks who get married are given not more than 2-3 weeks off from work, while, Ford expects 4 weeks!!!
aargee, I don't think it is sufficient. Ford is going to gain a good publicity from this, they are expecting the participants to publicize online for them with blogs, tweets, photos, videos etc. It goes without saying that the "expenses" has to be borne by them. To do this job involves a good skillset and enthusiasm, combining an enthusiasm for travel, being seasoned drivers, as well as very savvy with the online world. So to make it worthwhile for any such couple to do this, either:
a) Ford should not lay down so many rules in the terms & conditions
or
b) Ford should compensate for these services. I am not sure what that "great destination" is going to be, whether it is worth spending a whole sabbatical on this trip for.

The vehicle should definitely be Ford's responsibility. If you employ a driver and he goes and crashes the vehicle, is the driver responsible to get it fixed? No, he is just driving it for you, that's all. Similarly, these participants are doing all this work for Ford, in exchange for that "trip to a great destination" - then why should they take liability for the vehicle?

I think it is Ford who should be thankful to whoever participates in this, and not the other way around.

OR, all that about blogging and tweeting should not be obligatory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I just got the promotional email from Ford india about this campaign. It didnt sound as foolish as we interpreted it here.

Also, there is a reward for the couples involved at the end of the tour, so its not like its being done for free. Some crave the publicity, and the company is only riding on this for the campaign.
Do you mind sharing how it was different? I mean practically these are the terms and conditions. Even I got every excited seeing this on Facebook, and went to the site to register myself. But I was disappointed after reading these terms. Yeah, I guess you can consider the reward at the end of the tour (free tour to some "great destination") as a compensation, but I wouldn't, if I am taking my wife with me, committing myself to drive (and commiting her to drive) long distances at specified times in specified routes, and committing myself to post certain content on my own blog, Facebook etc, take responsibility of a vehicle etc. For example, what happens if suddenly my better half doesn't feel like it? We get kicked out, or worse - we are in some kind of legal trouble unless we get the car across to a particular place within a certain time? What happens if some accident happens for no fault of my wife's? What are the legal implications?

Last edited by rajushank84 : 14th September 2010 at 15:26.
Old 14th September 2010, 15:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

My friend, its a misunderstanding here in this thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I don't think it is sufficient. Ford is going to gain a good publicity from this, they are expecting the participants to publicize online for them with blogs, tweets, photos, videos etc.
Ok, so that's the motive behind the sponsorship. What's harm in it? I don't see a problem

Quote:
It goes without saying that the "expenses" has to be borne by them.
To whom? I'm under the impression that Ford India takes care of the expenses. The most expensive part is fuel, which I guess is taken care by Ford. What else is required? Accomodation? I guess Ford WILL take care of it too. What else is required? Food?

Quote:
a) Ford should not lay down so many rules in the terms & conditions
I don't see anything wrong in Ford's approach, besides there aren't many * & # in terms & conditions like a loan application

Quote:
b) Ford should compensate for these services. I am not sure what that "great destination" is going to be, whether it is worth spending a whole sabbatical on this trip for.
You mean, Ford should say to the point on the cities? I guess that will be done in the next stage once the couples are ready.

Quote:
The vehicle should definitely be Ford's responsibility.
Well I don't know what you interpreted from "responsibility". To me it sounds simple. Once the car is handed over to you, its your car. Put it this way, if Ford takes responsibility for the car, then the couple will remain careless & if it gets stolen, Ford has to bear the loss.

How about reckless driving attitude of them lead to? Why would Ford take the responsibility for it?

Quote:
If you employ a driver and he goes and crashes the vehicle, is the driver responsible to get it fixed?
Well both are two scenarios; a driver is getting paid to DO THE WORK, while, the couple are getting chance to participate in a FREE trip. So both are two different situation isn't it?

Quote:
Similarly, these participants are doing all this work for Ford, in exchange for that "trip to a great destination" - then why should they take liability for the vehicle?
@Raju - I guess you're reacting too much on the word "responsibility"; Ford makes it clear that you own the car, that's all. Otherwise people will go nuts driving the car & to blame Ford later.

Quote:
I think it is Ford who should be thankful to whoever participates in this, and not the other way around.
Its a mutual benefit for Ford as well as the ones who participate. Had Ford said, its Ford's responsibility, but the expenses to be born by the participants, no one would've participated.

Quote:
OR, all that about blogging and tweeting should not be obligatory.
That should be the part of the ride.

Quote:
we are in some kind of legal trouble unless we get the car across to a particular place within a certain time?
Raju cool!!! This is just part of the game, nothing big deal on it. This can always be questioned & clarified before participating in such events. Trust me, when it comes to actual roads, things will be much simpler & easier. What if you say that your spouse isn't comfortable driving for 800 Kms? No one would whip with chain ball, either, you might have to drive or the support team should take care or worst case, the couple is out of the game. That's all.

Last edited by aargee : 14th September 2010 at 15:33.
Old 14th September 2010, 15:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
My friend, its a misunderstanding here in this thread...

Ok, so that's the motive behind the sponsorship. What's harm in it? I don't see a problem

Agreed, but as an obligation? No!

To whom? I'm under the impression that Ford India takes care of the expenses. The most expensive part is fuel, which I guess is taken care by Ford. What else is required? Accomodation? I guess Ford WILL take care of it too. What else is required? Food?

This of course is obvious and that is what Rajushank meant!

I don't see anything wrong in Ford's approach, besides there aren't many * & # in terms & conditions like a loan application

You mean, Ford should say to the point on the cities? I guess that will be done in the next stage once the couples are ready.

Well I don't know what you interpreted from "responsibility". To me it sounds simple. Once the car is handed over to you, its your car. Put it this way, if Ford takes responsibility for the car, then the couple will remain careless & if it gets stolen, Ford has to bear the loss.

What if an accident happens for no mistake of the couple. On the other hand the couple is risking their life for promoting ford, so how about it?

How about reckless driving attitude of them lead to? Why would Ford take the responsibility for it?

What if they are not reckless and still something happens?

Well both are two scenarios; a driver is getting paid to DO THE WORK, while, the couple are getting chance to participate in a FREE trip. So both are two different situation isn't it?

Here ford is getting free publicity. I hope you are not thinking Ford is doing this for charity!

@Raju - I guess you're reacting too much on the word "responsibility"; Ford makes it clear that you own the car, that's all. Otherwise people will go nuts driving the car & to blame Ford later.

Its a mutual benefit for Ford as well as the ones who participate. Had Ford said, its Ford's responsibility, but the expenses to be born by the participants, no one would've participated.

That should be the part of the ride.

My comments in bold. While I agree in part with argee, some rules are plain ridiculous! Just my views though!
Old 14th September 2010, 15:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I'm not sure what the objections are to this Promo. I think it is as simple as -
  • Those who would like an all-expenses paid driving holiday will sign up for this
  • Those who do not like the terms & conditions won't
Simple, right

By the way, I also don't see anything wrong with the terms & conditions, these are standard clauses for any venture/event of this nature. These are basically to prevent participants blatantly misusing & abusing the cars.
Old 14th September 2010, 15:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

This is the most ridiculous part of the terms & conditions IMHO: "Participants agree to put up multiple blogposts, photos, tweets and status messages daily on Ford websites and their own internet domains about their experiences and thoughts on Ford Figo online communities and agree to hold contests for fans, pick winners, etc. as part of the tour"

So I am legally committing to put some content on my own website? And I am agreeing to play the role of anchor for some contests and pick winners? That's asking a lot IMHO. Maybe its just my perception.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks