Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2007, 13:10   #166
BHPian

Well i beg to differ here with tech, the space is a big problem with swift, i am 6 feet and no where in the hell i can feel comfortably in swift.

I test drived it and one thing which i real did not like was the space in the car.

sofa like space, no way and space in city is amazing forget about skoda it is huge when it comes to space.
Old 5th September 2007, 10:24   #167
BHPian

I stand by what I said. It depends on your height and body structure. We felt quite comfortable inside Swift. There is no need to pull back the front seats to the max back. This way there is enough space to move around your legs at the back also. I have seen soft leather and PU seats and they are large and have seen that my thighs are completely touched by the seats. So there is optimum under thigh support. The rear seats feel bench type only in the centre, not at the sides. Seats are really comfortable at least for me. It may not be 100 as Skodas and Hondas but it quite close at 90-95. Besides if there are good quality seat covers, then comfort is magnified. I do not say that 90% of people might feel otherwise probably they may be too fat or too tall. Yes I agree 6 and taller may feel difficult as the top is sloping in Swift. But there are many guys who are 5.5 or less also. For them, this much space is quite good enough. For 90% of these people, then the small car segment may mean nothing. Boxy WagonR may be the only option for them (for their height) or then the C/D segment.

Well the discussion is not about Swift, it's about Swift Sedan. Like I mentioned I still feel that it will redefine its segment. However I wonder that with Esteem's exit, what will Maruti have in the Ikon, Indigo, Logan segment ?
Old 5th September 2007, 11:08   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech View Post
I stand by what I said. It depends on your height and body structure. We felt quite comfortable inside Swift. There is no need to pull back the front seats to the max back. This way there is enough space to move around your legs at the back also. I have seen soft leather and PU seats and they are large and have seen that my thighs are completely touched by the seats. So there is optimum under thigh support. The rear seats feel bench type only in the centre, not at the sides. Seats are really comfortable at least for me. It may not be 100 as Skodas and Hondas but it quite close at 90-95. Besides if there are good quality seat covers, then comfort is magnified. I do not say that 90% of people might feel otherwise probably they may be too fat or too tall. Yes I agree 6 and taller may feel difficult as the top is sloping in Swift. But there are many guys who are 5.5 or less also. For them, this much space is quite good enough. For 90% of these people, then the small car segment may mean nothing. Boxy WagonR may be the only option for them (for their height) or then the C/D segment.

Well the discussion is not about Swift, it's about Swift Sedan. Like I mentioned I still feel that it will redefine its segment. However I wonder that with Esteem's exit, what will Maruti have in the Ikon, Indigo, Logan segment ?
you rightly said this is not about swift it is about swift sedan, but reading from all the post up there i think there will not be much differnce in seating( Please check Ram's post for the reference).

it is true that all the car manufacturers in India do keep this in mind that the average male height in india is 5.5 so they make the cars accordingly.exept Tata.

even in most c segment cars you feel bit cramped for space,when somebody is in driver's back seat. that is why i bought a xeta now.

in the segment you spoke about is the one where swift sedan is coming.

we agree to disagree i guess.

anyways cheers to all

Take care

God bless

Manu
Old 5th September 2007, 11:35   #169

If you are 6 feet, I think out of the lot, Chevy U-VA is your best bet.
Old 5th September 2007, 13:04   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderboy View Post
If you are 6 feet, I think out of the lot, Chevy U-VA is your best bet.
Got the cheaper option Indica xeta.
Old 5th September 2007, 17:15   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharma_79 View Post
Well i beg to differ here with tech, the space is a big problem with swift, i am 6 feet and no where in the hell i can feel comfortably in swift.

I test drived it and one thing which i real did not like was the space in the car.

sofa like space, no way and space in city is amazing forget about skoda it is huge when it comes to space.
A Swifts interiors is much better then the Skoda, in the Swift your head doesnot turn and headroom is much better then the Skoda, your leg also doesnot touch the steering.

Space at the rear is a problem with the Swift but not at the front.
Old 5th September 2007, 17:28   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
A Swifts interiors is much better then the Skoda, in the Swift your head doesnot turn and headroom is much better then the Skoda, your leg also doesnot touch the steering.

Space at the rear is a problem with the Swift but not at the front.

i spoke to a friend about skoda who owns one (skoda superb) after reading the space problem here only. and basically he ridiculed me for comparing swift with skoda.

may be because he owns one.

i dont know what varient we are talking about.

I should check it,

anyways busa i have decided to agree with almost everything since yesterday.
Old 5th September 2007, 19:32   #173
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Assume you go to your neighbourhood shoe-store.
They have a huge selection around the average size.
But only one pair of shoes in your size.
That too in the wrong color and style.
How does that make you feel?

Then, they tell you 79% of the population only buy around the average size. So it does not make "business sense" to them to stock your size.

Unlike Scandinavia, our Nation is too populous for a shop to
sport any sensibility other than mundane bean-counting.

But if you don't get a shoe that fits you, you will walk in pain.

Come to cars.

People like me who drive four hours at a stretch every week, would be fatigued by a car like the Swift or Swift sedan.

Noise, Vibration and Harshness(road jerks) -- why the overall car-experience itself, varies so much from car to car, as you go up the food chain.

Sometimes you encounter a very comfortable small car too. e.g. the little Smart made in Böblingen, Germany.

Sadly the Suzukis from 800 to the Baleno leave much to be desired in NVH. They may suit the Japanese and Indians of Japanese taste and size. But how does that comfort you?

If a Skoda is a 100, then what is an E-class Mercedes? What is a Volvo 740?
I feel that if a Skoda is a 100, then a Baleno is a 60 and a Swift is a 45 and an 800 is a 42.

Really wish that Maruti-Suzuki comes up with something really well-designed and not another "Jap" car.

Ram
Old 5th September 2007, 21:31   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
anyways busa i have decided to agree with almost everything since yesterday.
Quote:
If you can not join them, beat them.
Time you changed your signature If you can not beat them, join them

I think you can have your own opinion and you need not agree with us. Oh superb has tons of my head, legm shoulder, knee, hair, etc legroom then the Swift. I was talking about Octavia cause Skoda = Octavia for the common man
Old 5th September 2007, 22:43   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post

I think you can have your own opinion and you need not agree with us. Oh superb has tons of my head, legm shoulder, knee, hair, etc legroom then the Swift. I was talking about Octavia cause Skoda = Octavia for the common man
Good one busa how about the new signature. i have to keep one thing on mind always that big bosses are watching.

Last edited by msharma_79 : 5th September 2007 at 22:46.
Old 10th September 2007, 13:27   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharma
Ji, Im 6'2" and BIG!
And I'd anyday swear by the Swift's interior space at the front. Its the MOST comfortable car for me to drive in that price range which is why I almost bought one.

This car was designed with more style and lesser practicality in mind. And hence the lack of space at the rear. And I drive alone 90% of the time.So, I don't care if its got no space at the rear. The space in the front is woohoo!
Old 10th September 2007, 15:25   #177
BHPian

[quote=nitrous;558846]Ji, Im 6'2" and BIG!

ok i got the point when you wrote the above and big in caps. was good enough to convince me .
Old 10th September 2007, 15:45   #178
Senior - BHPian

@ Msharma - If Nitrous : The Boss can fit then surely any one can
Old 10th September 2007, 19:19   #179
BHPian

Nitrous is right, I am 6 ft (and big) and I have never had a problem with the swift, its only when you want to use it as a family car and have people (adults) sitting in the back that you face the space problems, so one has to look at his requirments and take the decisions.
Old 10th September 2007, 21:30   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
I feel that if a Skoda is a 100, then a Baleno is a 60 and a Swift is a 45 and an 800 is a 42.
Then 800 does pretty well for the price it commands, doesn't it?

Sadly, we are a minority. Majority wants mileage and more mileage. Proof is that the Swift ZXi is struggling now because of the VDi. people are willing to give up airbags, ABS, auto-climate control and all, which are not even options on the VDi (only ABS- option)
Quote:
Wonder why my post which read the same (before BUSA posted) was deleted as off-topic. Good thing, atleast someone pointed out.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks