Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2007, 11:08   #226

pictures of new swift sedan

Confused Programmer: Maruti all geared up to launch Swift sedan
Old 14th October 2007, 14:01   #227
BHPian

I still am of the opinion MSIL aint gonna launch the car this way...
Old 14th October 2007, 14:10   #228
BHPian

That is a photoshop

There will be no swift sedan - its a rumor.

How can you guys even believe such a thing
Old 14th October 2007, 14:24   #229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin_1981 View Post
Not again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflanker View Post

Yes. There will be... Please read the following link!
Maruti Udyog is all set to launch Swift Sedan- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

However, by hearing Swift sedan, we all assume it will be swift+boot. It may not look like the Swift at all. If the WagonR/Alto can share same platform and look like chalk and cheese, Maruti can built a sedan based on the same platform of the Swift.
Old 14th October 2007, 14:42   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflanker View Post
That is a photoshop

Man, Its there. Service guys got training as well.
Old 14th October 2007, 15:15   #231
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
However, by hearing Swift sedan, we all assume it will be swift+boot. It may not look like the Swift at all. If the WagonR/Alto can share same platform and look like chalk and cheese, Maruti can build a sedan based on the same platform of the Swift.
innocent question...

When you say WagonR and Alto share the same platform, what components are same? engine? transaxle? dashboard instruments? doors?
what?
Or is it just a figure of speech?

Ram
Old 14th October 2007, 17:54   #232
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
innocent question...
When you say WagonR and Alto share the same platform, what components are same? engine? transaxle? dashboard instruments? doors?
what?
Ram
Nice question. But am not sure of the answer! But our magazine wallahs go blah blah about WagonR/Alto/Estilo being same platform and cost saving for Maruti.

Any experts can explain this?
Old 14th October 2007, 17:56   #233

swift sedan

I personally have got some reservations with the yet-to-come Swift sedan. The overall looks of swift go well with the hatch abck form. Adding a boot to the existing platform would only make it 'swift with a boot'.

To me its nothing but MUL's effort to bank on the success of the swift hot hatch.
Old 14th October 2007, 19:26   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
innocent question...

what?

Ram
Well for starters, from the wheel base length - 2360 mm for not only Alto and Wagon R, but also now the Zen Estilo.

The basic suspension architecture is the same :

Alto / Wagon R / Estilo

[COLOR=#ffffff]SUSPENSION SYSTEM[/COLOR] Front McPherson Strut with torsion type roll control device Rear Coil spring, gas-filled shock absorbers with three-link rigid axle and isolated trailing arms

The Alto and Wagon R engines are literally brothers,with the Wagon R getting the 4th cylinder, I think it was the first engine designed by Maruti themselves, adding a cylinder to the venerable F8C (I think) engine i.e the 800 CC engine of M800, and it is called F10 D (displacing 1062 cc) .

I am sure there are quite a lot of other things as well, that could be shared.

In all probability the Zen Estilo might cost even lesser to produce than it used to cost MSIL when they first introduced the Wagon R
Old 14th October 2007, 19:30   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When product planners and engineers talk about a "platform" or "architecture," they're generally talking about a basic type of vehicle that can be made from a few combinations of suspension, engine and transmission choices.
For starters a company might have an "architecture" for small front-wheel drive cars, another for larger front-wheel-drive cars, another for rear-wheel-drive cars and another for trucks and truck-based SUVs.
While all this might all sound terribly confining, limiting the number of basic "platforms" and sharing parts, combined with more versatile modern factories, actually allows auto manufacturers to offer more different models today than ever.
Source

The above in bold is the answer to your queries.
Old 14th October 2007, 20:08   #236
Senior - BHPian

Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Well for starters, from the wheel base length - 2360 mm for not only Alto and Wagon R, but also now the Zen Estilo.

The basic suspension architecture is the same :

Alto / Wagon R / Estilo

[COLOR=#ffffff]SUSPENSION SYSTEM[/COLOR] Front McPherson Strut with torsion type roll control device Rear Coil spring, gas-filled shock absorbers with three-link rigid axle and isolated trailing arms

The Alto and Wagon R engines are literally brothers,with the Wagon R getting the 4th cylinder, I think it was the first engine designed by Maruti themselves, adding a cylinder to the venerable F8C (I think) engine i.e the 800 CC engine of M800, and it is called F10 D (displacing 1062 cc) .

I am sure there are quite a lot of other things as well, that could be shared.

In all probability the Zen Estilo might cost even lesser to produce than it used to cost MSIL when they first introduced the Wagon R
I do not agree on the bold part. This misinformation that WagonR engine = 800 Engine + 4th cylinder is completely wrong and is based on a false article which was published in Overdrive around 3 years ago. Appranatly, in subsequent issues, the magazine had clarified that this is not the case and the F10D is a completely different engine. (And I dont think there is anything as F8C! )

Last edited by DCEite : 14th October 2007 at 20:13.
Old 14th October 2007, 21:01   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Off-Topic

I do not agree on the bold part. This misinformation that WagonR engine = 800 Engine + 4th cylinder is completely wrong and is based on a false article which was published in Overdrive around 3 years ago. Appranatly, in subsequent issues, the magazine had clarified that this is not the case and the F10D is a completely different engine. (And I dont think there is anything as F8C! )
Well, a lot of us need correction I guess:

The Hindu : Metro Plus Vijayawada / Wheels : Have a yen for the Zen?

Seems, Autocar got it wrong too

SHOOTOUT MARUTI SUZUKI WAGON R v HYUNDAI SANTRO ZING eRLX

:: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::
Old 14th October 2007, 21:23   #238
Senior - BHPian

pricing for the swift sedan might be too narrow with sx4.

the alto-wagonR-Zen pricing scheme is also extended to their sedans too then...
Old 14th October 2007, 22:16   #239
Senior - BHPian

Well Indivic, we had hundreds on discussions on this topic in the past (before your arrival here that is). I dont care what Autocar or Overdrive says, let me make my point more clear:

1. The engine series is same (F) but, its completely different (F10D) engine which was introduced first in the international Alto which was launched in 1998 (Also was known in India as Alto VXi which has been discontinued since 4 years.)
2. The engine current M800 uses is F8B(a 2 valve per cylinder engine) and the Alto uses F8D (4 valve per cylinder engine). The F10D is neither F8B+ 1 cylinder nor F8D+ 1 cylinder.
3. Why do Auto-mags say that? I dont know, but perhaps they want to make that engine look like a cheap piece of metal which has been picked up from the 800 and added to an extra cylinder.

Any more issues on this, you can PM me since this thread is not for discussing Alto/WagonR.
Thanks.

P.S. Is Santro Zing some kind of anniversary edition of Santro Xing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post

Last edited by DCEite : 14th October 2007 at 22:27.
Old 14th October 2007, 22:30   #240
BHPian

Hi DCEITE,

Okay we will take this topic off line, but the Santro Zing was not my concoction, it was the link I put in my post which had it, may be the Santro got a bit more Kinetic energy
Closed Thread

Most Viewed