Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2007, 10:12   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
Played with a software tool called PaintShop Pro.
Worked on islero's modification of a Swift and came up with this three-box landaulette.
Changed the rocker panel for ground clearance. Textured stainless steel lamination on the C-pillar with chrome dummy landau hinges.
And added a mobile phone antenna.

Click on image for higher resolution.

Ram
i am sorry but i think the maruti will be able to do a better than your photoshop version of the swift.

anyways we should welcome replacment of esteem no matter with what the come i am sure it will be better than outdated sedan.

i have so many friends who want to go for a three box car but having so less to choose from is a problem

problem with esteem is that if you buy it today and obviously you will not sell it next year. you will atleast keep it for 3 years minimum right??
this car will look like padmini premier at that time because the way new models are coming in India.

ford flair. good VFM but company is not supporting it and they have even removed it and planning to replace it with fiesta 1.4 which is highly priced.
may be they will sell it till the time esteem is in market. and obviously perception about the ford is not helping the car.

Accent GLE: Good car less power bit expensive and may be people are not aware that this car is still in the market.

and finally Indigo strangly people dont even discuss it while thinking about . may be the public perception is killing the car but it still has it's own market.

i would suggest people wait till the swift sedan comes.

take care
God bless

MANU
Old 23rd August 2007, 12:21   #92
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharma_79 View Post
i am sorry but i think the maruti will be able to do a better than your photoshop version of the swift.
You think, or you imagine, or you hope?
The Swift is so ugly, its three box can only be uglier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharma_79
i would suggest people wait till the swift sedan comes.
Valuable suggestion.
God bless.
Old 23rd August 2007, 12:42   #93
BHPian

Well i surly think they will do better than the job done up there,

ok according to u swift is a ugly car and i am also not a big fan as well but i think we should respect the judgment of the people who have spent their money on this car.
Like us they also must be in love with their car, so let's not abuse somebody's freedom of choice.

i find that swift has some resemblence to the mini cooper and people like that car.

you dont have to like what i like and vice versa.

hence peace to all swift owners,

take care

God Bless,

Manu
Old 25th August 2007, 23:32   #94
Senior - BHPian

Yes it will come by Jan-Feb 08

As per the latest news, the sedan based on swift will be launched by Jan-Feb 2008. And it will defintely have a 1.3 petrol as the cost of fitting the G16 series engine will be too much.
And of course it will also have the diesel.
Old 26th August 2007, 08:11   #95
Ram
Senior - BHPian

The Esteem was an elegant little car,
with the highest acceleration among all Indian cars,
decent space and a trunk for the bags.

The driver had excellent rear-view visibility.
It was priced right and returned good fuel economy.

Q1: Will the new Swift-based replacement for the Esteem
be cheaper to buy, cheaper to run and prettier to look at?
Or will it be more expensive, more fuel-inefficient and uglier to boot?

Q2: Why do Maruti buyers want the Esteem replaced at all?
If Maruti just continues the Esteem will it kill sales of the new offering?

Ram
Old 26th August 2007, 08:50   #96
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ok according to u swift is a ugly car and i am also not a big fan as well but i think we should respect the judgment of the people who have spent their money on this car.
Like us they also must be in love with their car, so let's not abuse somebody's freedom of choice.
msharma_79, the Swift Hatch is so ugly, how can it be improved?
It looks like the head of an Arabian dromedary (one-humped camel).

Here's the inspiration

Here's the result

Like they say, a camel is a horse designed by a committee!

Camels can be fickle and obstinate and ill-tempered. They spit and kick and moan and bawl. By personality they are haughty and arrogant. Camels are noted for their eccentric antics. When they are excited by something as innocuous as a truck starting up, they run about flailing their legs out to the side and into the air. One must then run for cover to avoid getting kicked.

The Swift's ugly oversized body with cramped rear space, tiny windows, poor rear visibility and 9 km/litre mileage are so camel like.

Still owning camels is a sign of wealth and prosperity in the medieval middle-east. Their owners still love their camels and race 'em in the desert with kidnapped young foreign children as riders.
Old 27th August 2007, 10:10   #97
BHPian

You Sir really hate this car. we are not going to discuss camels here for sure,this site is still about cars. I am a newbie and once i called alto stupid and i was told by the mods to be careful.

the point which i understood is that people love their cars, by saying nasty stuff about the car of which somebody is paying EMI is not good man.

i know how it feels like i have ikon flair and and indica xeta and people are not very kind towards both the cars.

i hope you got my point.

take care,

God bless.

Manu
Old 27th August 2007, 10:59   #98
BHPian

Quote:
msharma_79, the Swift Hatch is so ugly, how can it be improved?
It looks like the head of an Arabian dromedary (one-humped camel).
Still owning camels is a sign of wealth and prosperity in the medieval middle-east. Their owners still love their camels and race 'em in the desert with kidnapped young foreign children as riders.
I hope some people are busy finding the correct match for Esteem and Baleno from animal kingdom.
Any way, for me swift is a good looker, where as esteem and Baleno are ugly. Since Ram thinks both these are great lookers, swift has to be ugly for him.
Old 27th August 2007, 11:07   #99
BHPian

Esteem needs replacement as it is so old and MUL can bring best engine/FE comparable price as Esteem. But if it is based on Swift platform, then I don't think price will be comparable with Esteem. It will be little less than SX4 VXi, IMHO.

Otherwise, if MUL aims to be leader in entry-C segment (where very few variants are there: Accent GLE, Ikon Flair, Indigo, Logan, etc), then its different story and MUL can come up with petrol as well as diesel variants priced 5L up to 6.5L or so. This will give very good market segment share for MUL in entry-C.

Hmmm, lets see how it goes. But I feel that volumes in entry-C segment shouldn't be under-estimated.

Last edited by sathya_nars : 27th August 2007 at 11:08.
Old 27th August 2007, 13:19   #100
Ram
Senior - BHPian

I agree with you that some people do harbor strong emotions (love/hate) about cars.

Just saw this top gear video...

One of the hosts of BBC's celebrated Top Gear TV show, Jeremy Clarkson, actually hates the Malaysian
Perodua Kelisa (a Zen-like car) so much, that..

He orders a brand new Perodua Kelisa,

then goes to the showroom to collect it. He takes delivery of the car.
The price is UKŁ 4,842, i.e. Rs. 4,00,000
It's a brand new car with 85 miles (138 km) on the odometer.

Once he's out of the dealership, he parks the car under a tree and brings a 3 foot sledge-hammer (his medieval joust stick if you will).

He then proceeds to dent it up in public.

His words...
"That is for being the biggest load of unimaginative junk ever!
This is just a white good. It's just built with no soul, no flair, no passion just like a fridge or washing machine,

... and this is for everytime I've caught a car like you dawdling around, indicating left and then going right.

What I don't like about all these Korean and Malaysian cars, is that
they were designed,
not by a man who wanted to make a great car,
but by a corporation that simply wanted to make money."

He then proceeds to hang, draw and quarter the car, medieval English style.

Here is the video

This must of course, have stung the Malaysian government quite sharply, as it would impact the public image of the Perodua company in the UK.
Old 27th August 2007, 16:19   #101
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with you that some people do harbor strong emotions (love/hate) about cars.

Just saw this top gear video...

One of the hosts of BBC's celebrated Top Gear TV show, Jeremy Clarkson, actually hates the Malaysian
Perodua Kelisa (a Zen-like car) so much, that..

He orders a brand new Perodua Kelisa,

then goes to the showroom to collect it. He takes delivery of the car.
The price is UKŁ 4,842, i.e. Rs. 4,00,000
It's a brand new car with 85 miles (138 km) on the odometer.

Once he's out of the dealership, he parks the car under a tree and brings a 3 foot sledge-hammer (his medieval joust stick if you will).

He then proceeds to dent it up in public.

His words...
"That is for being the biggest load of unimaginative junk ever!
This is just a white good. It's just built with no soul, no flair, no passion just like a fridge or washing machine,

... and this is for everytime I've caught a car like you dawdling around, indicating left and then going right.

What I don't like about all these Korean and Malaysian cars, is that
they were designed,
not by a man who wanted to make a great car,
but by a corporation that simply wanted to make money."

He then proceeds to hang, draw and quarter the car, medieval English style.

Here is the video
YouTube - Jeremy Clarkson Destroys Perodua Kelisa

This must of course, have stung the Malaysian government quite sharply, as it would impact the public image of the Perodua company in the UK.
tell me one thing my good sir,
how does it matter what a single man thinks. for example i think esteem should have gone from the market 5 years back but it is still there and there a thousand of fans of the car.

and if you think esteem is better looking than swift. i would rather not say anything about it.
Maruti has been dragging these cars for such a long time even after PLC is over so far back i.e esteem and M 800.

Look at the example of Qualis. it was selling like hot cakes but toyota decided that PLC is over for this car so they pulled it back and launched INNOVA. It takes guts to do something like that.

GM also took advantage of this move and launched Tavera precisly at the time of withdrawl of Qualis.

it is not about korean or japenese or Indian car it is all about marketing strategy. bikti hai to chal rahi hai. and we should appriciate anything new coming in this segment.
Old 27th August 2007, 18:15   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

GM also took advantage of this move and launched Tavera precisly at the time of withdrawl of Qualis.

it is not about korean or japenese or Indian car it is all about marketing strategy. bikti hai to chal rahi hai. and we should appriciate anything new coming in this segment.
Tavera co-existed with Qualis.

Last edited by Mpower : 27th August 2007 at 18:17.
Old 27th August 2007, 19:28   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Look at the example of Qualis. it was selling like hot cakes but toyota decided that PLC is over for this car so they pulled it back and launched INNOVA. It takes guts to do something like that.
I think this has been discussed several times on different threads. Everyone knows why Toyota brought a long dead SUV like the Kijang (Due respects to Qualis owners) to India and why they stopped selling it to replace with the Innova.
Old 28th August 2007, 08:38   #104
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...for example i think esteem should have gone from the market 5 years back but it is still there and there a thousand of fans of the car...

...Maruti has been dragging these cars for such a long time even after PLC is over so far back i.e esteem and M 800.
Don't you get it?
Good and bad have nothing to do with old and new.

New need not mean better. It can mean worse!

Car designers of the present are not necessarily more competent than those of the past. The kid designers of today are no less apt to goof on design and produce a lemon as anybody in the past.

The Volkswagen Beetle was produced for sixty-six years from 1938 to 2003.
It had unconventional styling, low BHP, extremely high NVH (noise, vibration and harshness). Yet it lived the longest and holds the world record for the most produced example of a single design.
In fact the market's goodwill for the old one, saw a modern one designed to exploit the old one's features.

Would it have done so, had the manufacturer listened to the first user to say, "it should have gone from the market 5 years back"?
Old 28th August 2007, 09:10   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Don't you get it?
Good and bad have nothing to do with old and new.

New need not mean better. It can mean worse!

Car designers of the present are not necessarily more competent than those of the past. The kid designers of today are no less apt to goof on design and produce a lemon as anybody in the past.
The Volkswagen Beetle was produced for sixty-six years from 1938 to 2003.
It had unconventional styling, low BHP, extremely high NVH (noise, vibration and harshness). Yet it lived the longest and holds the world record for the most produced example of a single design.
In fact the market's goodwill for the old one, saw a modern one designed to exploit the old one's features.
Would it have done so, had the manufacturer listened to the first user to say, "it should have gone from the market 5 years back"?
Ram, I don't get it.
why don't you agree to the point that just like you have your opinion Manu sharma(or others) has his opinion. May be you strongly believe that your opinion is superior.
And you are comparing Esteem design to that of Beetle? In that case why is Esteem continued only in India? Esteem was loved in india for the sheer practicality and VFM, not becauase of anything else. Meanwhile the 'unconventional styling' of Beetle was loved all over the world by millions. I believe even Swift's USP is the same 'unconventional styling'. You might say that it is lifted from Mini
Sorry for the long post. No more on this. Thanks.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks