Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2011, 11:31   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 'Spotted' in Gurgaon EDIT: Launch on Feb 2nd 2011

Nice pics guys, thanks!

Somehow, the front keeps reminding me of the SX4 - other than that, it looks great
Old 23rd January 2011, 20:10   #182
Senior - BHPian

Just saw a Kizashi in Chattarpur this evening. It was being driven by a chauffeur (white uniform) and seemed to me like someones personal car.
Possibly a top boss at MSIL.
Old 23rd January 2011, 21:58   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post

Somehow, the front keeps reminding me of the SX4 - other than that, it looks great
+1 to that, looks like a grown up version of sx4, which might actually do more bad than good for the company
Old 24th January 2011, 15:40   #184
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This is one car I can't wait to see the pricing of! And believe me, I don't envy the Maruti strategists one bit. Tell you why:

- Engine size & power equivalent to the Accord

- Interior cabin space comparable to Civic & Altis

- Brand value of 3 - 6 lakh rupee cars

- Equipment comparable to a Skoda Laura

. It's going to be a fun one. Maruti, you've never succeeded in the 10+ lakh rupee segment and simply cannot afford to get the pricing wrong. On the other hand, it's a CBU and how much room does it allow for pricing? Like I said, it's going to be a fun announcement.
Old 24th January 2011, 16:04   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is one car I can't wait to see the pricing of! And believe me, I don't envy the Maruti strategists one bit. Tell you why:

- Engine size & power equivalent to the Accord

- Interior cabin space comparable to Civic & Altis

- Brand value of 3 - 6 lakh rupee cars

- Equipment comparable to a Skoda Laura

. It's going to be a fun one. Maruti, you've never succeeded in the 10+ lakh rupee segment and simply cannot afford to get the pricing wrong. On the other hand, it's a CBU and how much room does it allow for pricing? Like I said, it's going to be a fun announcement.
Yes I am also waiting to hear the prices. It is going to be a tough one for MSIL. Your statement however sounds as though they have introduced 5 models above 10L and they all have failed. Of course to be fair to Maruti, they have introduced only GV above 10L. Kizashi, however if priced between 14-16L, should do some decent volumes I guess.

Last edited by nurni76 : 24th January 2011 at 16:05.
Old 24th January 2011, 16:08   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Kizashi, however if priced between 14-16L, should do some decent volumes I guess.
Well, people crib about how the GV interiors are a complete turn-off because they resemble the SX4. In the case of Kizashi, they seem to have done wonders with the interiors - but went & messed up the front with that SX4 grille

The comparison would be inevitable!

Last edited by suman : 24th January 2011 at 16:09.
Old 24th January 2011, 16:15   #187
BHPian

Interesting observation GTO

Just like you and everyone else on the forum, I'm also looking forward to see how Maruti would position this car.

Wouldn't the Maruti officials be scratching and banging their head to make a decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Your statement however sounds as though they have introduced 5 models above 10L and they all have failed.

IIRC, the Maruti Baleno Altura came with a price tag of 10L+, initially.
Old 24th January 2011, 16:19   #188
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

proof of the pudding will be in the eating of it.
its going to be very tough going for MSIL if this car is priced higher than 12 lacs ish. Add taxes and insurance and it will be sitting in Civic/Cruze/ Corolla/ Laura territory without the badge value to back it up. If it is priced any higher, I dont think it will achieve very huge volumes. But then, being a Maruti, it just might end up surprising us all - its biggest strength will be the service network but this also raises another question - who in the more remote areas will know enough about the Kizashi to be able to service it?
Waiting to see it in real life and even more importantly, am waiting to see what happens with the bookings/ sales in the first quarter from launch. Will this car also be so much in demand as to command a waiting period for delivery or not?
Old 24th January 2011, 16:23   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm not sure good pricing alone is going to help MUL sell this car. I mean, look at SX4 - decent car, nothing much wrong with the pricing, decent level of kit - but was still 2nd at best in the segment (way behind ANHC). And then Vento came along and has overtaken SX4 from day 1. Reason? Brand value.

I actually think SX4 is selling quite well - just that there are others in the segment who are doing much better. The same could happen with Kizashi as well.
Old 24th January 2011, 16:26   #190
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

badge value my friend
how many people in India would like to pay the same money for a Maruti as they would for a Honda, Toyota etc?
abroad Suzuki, Honda, Toyota etc are more or less on par with Hyundai a notch or two below.
Here in India Suzuki is pretty much considered as being on par with Hyundai primarily because of the fact that they began in the small car segment and even today their bulk business comes from there. By contrast the others entered in the bigger more expensive segments and are now doing their damnedest to get a slice of the small car pie.

In general it is easy to make the journey from upper level pricing downwards, but very tough indeed to make the reverse journey from lower level pricing to premium. The climb towards premium positioning is usually very arduous as many brands have found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I'm not sure good pricing alone is going to help MUL sell this car. I mean, look at SX4 - decent car, nothing much wrong with the pricing, decent level of kit - but was still 2nd at best in the segment (way behind ANHC). And then Vento came along and has overtaken SX4 from day 1. Reason? Brand value.

I actually think SX4 is selling quite well - just that there are others in the segment who are doing much better. The same could happen with Kizashi as well.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 24th January 2011 at 16:28.
Old 24th January 2011, 16:30   #191
BHPian

Quote:
if priced between 14-16L
I was watching "Wheelocity" on Zee Business yesterday morning. Kizashi was test driven. Price mentioned is between 16-19 lakhs !!

i understand that the price will be announced in Feb first week.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 24th January 2011 at 16:32.
Old 24th January 2011, 16:30   #192
BHPian

More than the pricing, it will be the 'customer experience' that will be critical for this car. I am sure Maruti can pull off the pricing part, but will they be able to provide that premium experience to the customer?

Maruti is well entrenched and has large number of dealers etc it really should not be a problem for them to create a few exclusive dealerships for SX4 +Kizashi. As long as a Kizashi owner is rubbing shoulders with a Alto/wagon R buyer Maruti is gonna struggle IMO.

Last edited by Elito11 : 24th January 2011 at 16:33.
Old 24th January 2011, 16:53   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
...exclusive dealerships for SX4 +Kizashi.
LOL!!

I found your remark to be funny at first read. Later, I realised how true it is.

Let me illustrate my thoughts :

Imagine, I going to test drive Maruti Kizashi, along with my girlfriend or family. Suppose, if they happen to see a SX4 parked next to Kizashi, they might ask me - 'Why on earth should you invest double the amount on this car(Kizashi), when this car resembles the front end of the other car(SX4)' !!

I guess, the experience of almost every Indian would be similar to this, in a way or other. Sigh.

In case if you feel offended by my comments, please understand that the problem lies within you, and not me!!
Old 24th January 2011, 17:00   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
I was watching "Wheelocity" on Zee Business yesterday morning. Kizashi was test driven. Price mentioned is between 16-19 lakhs !!

i understand that the price will be announced in Feb first week.
Oops that is bad. Anything above 15L for Manual would be a sure sign of disaster. If Tata can manage to sell 250 Arias/month at 16L, I am sure Kizashi could atleast do decent volumes as Suzuki has a better brand Image than Tata in India. Of course the diesel engine for Aria is the big positive which Kizashi lacks. But what stands in favor of Kizashi is its great driver's car capabilities and sporty looks, great engine, good interiors and fantastic list of features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surviving Brain View Post
IIRC, the Maruti Baleno Altura came with a price tag of 10L+, initially.
Maybe I am not sure, but that is definitely not an example worth quoting as Maruti was never serious with the Altura. Here Kizashi is a serious effort on the part of Suzuki to make its presence felt in the premium segment and in my opinion only the 2nd vehicle above the 10L + mark in India.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 24th January 2011 at 18:15. Reason: Please use the EDIT function instead of posting back-to-back posts within 20 minutes. Thanks.
Old 24th January 2011, 17:08   #195
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The car at least in the snaps does not feel premium. The front is too much like the SX4 (the grill mainly gives this feeling.) and the sides and rear don't really have a premium feel to it.

We have heard that the interiors do feel rich but can this command a price double that of SX4 with these looks must be doubted. They are in trouble with price OTR exceeding 15L and it seem that with CBU that is where they will be. It will heat up the competition for sure, and will be a good car for those who go for it, but will it set the sales chart on fire will depend on the pricing and the marketing. They need to do something like a pseudo premium brand cover on it like Lexus is for Toyota and Acura for Honda.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed