Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2011, 23:42   #346
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 'Spotted' in Gurgaon EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.5 Lakh Ex De

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Sigghhh, there goes another sedan option off my list. But that was bound to happen being a CBU, wasn't it!

Rush, maybe this will be the first case of "introductory" prices going the other way, as in down
I think Maruti is hell bent on making another Baleno out of Kizashi. Remember the time, when Baleno was priced close ~9L , while the time before been phased out was retailing at 5.5L. It was also the costliest Maruti for that time

Last edited by sanstorm : 2nd February 2011 at 23:43.
Old 2nd February 2011, 23:45   #347
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 'Spotted' in Gurgaon EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.5 Lakh Ex De

accord as far as i know does not come with esp and memmory seats and such goodies. Another thing i wanna add is the complain about the kizashi being compact or a segment below in terms of size. Well this car was designed the usa market in mind. And i watched a presentation on kizashu usa launch where they told the reporters and the press that this car had similar interior space as the passat. And they have designed it keeping that in mind. also if sales do go well who know they might even get the V6 version too. Like we had with the superb V6 and the accord V6. and for those who are complaining about size. Well this car is about sportiness and not size. Did i mention the car is wider than the rest = better handling i suppose?!
Old 2nd February 2011, 23:46   #348
Senior - BHPian

Kizashi is a great car, but one calculation where a lot of people go wrong is the fact that a lot seem to only see the difference between the Accord and Kizashi in terms of Ex-Showroom cost but when you factor in the on road price there will be very little difference in price of the two and at that point most will incline towards the Accord / Superb with the latter being well equipped too.

A company as large as Maruti could easily have gone the CKD / SKD way and perhaps once the car was another few lacs cheaper due to the over all cost coming down it might have sold in a different manner compared to now? But then one never knows it might sell very well at this price too market is not predictable but then my gut says this is not going to meet the success it deserves and only because of it being a CBU. I still respect Mercedes for being able to have the S-Class down in India since last 9 years as a SKD model, a feat which even BMW & Audi still have not managed to do.

And lancer_rit, believe me when calculating costs of cars being sold in India try not use the USA value as that country gives most companies volumes due to which some cars are cheaper in the US compared to their home country.

All I hope is this car does well as it looks like a brilliant product on paper, I do hope Maruti has really trained their dealers to service the walk-in's for Kizashi in a nicer manner with staff not trying to show too much attitude now that they sell almost a 2 million rupee product and also I hope they do offer test drives and not expect people to think since this is their flagship you buy without trying it out.

All this is going to make a wonderful used car market in this country in the next 2 years or so with all these cars going down to the used car markets from those who do not hold on to their cars for a long time.

Regards,
Old 3rd February 2011, 00:11   #349
Senior - BHPian

It is definitely a disaster from Maruti. When a corolla with a 1.4 D4D sells more than a petrol, there is no point having a bigger engine in a Maruti car and overpricing it. Maruti should have imported it as a CKD and should have had more variants, starting with a barebones variant at 12L. They should have had more engine options: a 1.8L, 2.0L and a 2.4L.

Maruti definitely cannot afford to do a Honda Accord.
Old 3rd February 2011, 00:28   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
And lancer_rit, believe me when calculating costs of cars being sold in India try not use the USA value as that country gives most companies volumes due to which some cars are cheaper in the US compared to their home country.
Well every market is unique, & US being the largest market, also has the lowest prices amongst most car markets. Made in Japan is usually high quality and high cost.
However, I still believe the comparison is valid, because Accord is CKD in India, no excuses for not having similar price, it used to sell the most in its segment, and the new model skimps on equipment like anything. So, I believe Suzuki has priced what they could...
Of course, that may not be enough to make Kizashi an attractive proposition due to brand, prior art etc ...
Old 3rd February 2011, 00:36   #351
Senior - BHPian

Will this car (AT Version) really give 12+ Km/l ? We have an accord AT and at best we get 7km/l in the summers and 8km/l in the winters. I dont believe a big 2.4 ltr engine can be fuel efficient. With the petrol prices sky rocketing, it makes so much sense to spend 17-18 L on a nice powerful diesel (maybe the new Jetta due this year) rather than on a Petrol guzzler.
Old 3rd February 2011, 00:36   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
  • Intense training to dealership staff to handle Kizashi customers. A different buying experience is promised.
Very important point, Walking into a Maruti-Showroom is not convincing for a 17-18L Car, My recent swift buying experience was Horrid and its no where close to what a Toyota or a Honda can offer. If this is the same for a Kizashi I am sorry. All the best MUL with this, I am happy with buying the Accord at this price point.
Old 3rd February 2011, 06:04   #353
Senior - BHPian

I think for the features, the engine, the handling and all on offer, it is a very fair price that MSIL has launched the Kizashi at. It's competitors are Accord and Camry in the US and they have kept the price much lower than either of those. I think people were expecting this to be cheaper priced only because it is Maruti. Perhaps if the response is better, they can do a CKD and get the price below 15 lakhs. But people who buy it at the original high price would feel short changed.
PS: 2-3 years later, if I have to buy a second hand car, this would be one of the best options!
Old 3rd February 2011, 07:07   #354
v&v
Senior - BHPian

What ever we deliberate here, maruti knows there are enough Indians out there who will be buying kizashi. I think they are not looking to sell over 200 pcs/pm. I think 10 lac+ car domain is not taken seriously by them atleast in India.

Last edited by v&v : 3rd February 2011 at 07:08.
Old 3rd February 2011, 07:42   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
with what (at first glance) appears to be much better spec-ed relatively to the US models (read the Accord in India is as barebones as you can get).
And they have done it inspite of it being a CBU. So, my read is that Maruti is not making any money at this price - this is the CKD price though they launched it as a CBU.
Frankly, I am not sure what folks expect or are expecting.
Like I said, the Accord is quite a bit larger and roomy inside. Its 2.4 also comes with i-VTEC technology. Yes, the Indian Accord is quite barebones but then evan an Altis beats it in the gizmo count.
Old 3rd February 2011, 09:00   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
Very important point, Walking into a Maruti-Showroom is not convincing for a 17-18L Car, My recent swift buying experience was Horrid and its no where close to what a Toyota or a Honda can offer. If this is the same for a Kizashi I am sorry. All the best MUL with this, I am happy with buying the Accord at this price point.
Agreed. Infact during our conversation, I did give a few examples from the 'Comedy of Errors at Dealerships Thread'. Maruti just cant have these goof ups with the Kizashi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I think for the features, the engine, the handling and all on offer, it is a very fair price that MSIL has launched the Kizashi at. It's competitors are Accord and Camry in the US and they have kept the price much lower than either of those. I think people were expecting this to be cheaper priced only because it is Maruti. Perhaps if the response is better, they can do a CKD and get the price below 15 lakhs. But people who buy it at the original high price would feel short changed.
PS: 2-3 years later, if I have to buy a second hand car, this would be one of the best options!
Mr Shrivastava did mentioned that the Accord and Camry are its chief competitors in India and later went on to agree that the 1.8 TSI Superb also finds a place there. Another interesting fact is that the Kizashi is sellling better in the US than in the home country Japan.
Old 3rd February 2011, 09:23   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
I can understand if someone like Peugeot does a CBU because they have zero infrastructure in India. But Maruti... they are the biggest and have the largest infrastructure for making cars.
Agree. Maruti, of all the manufacturers, could have easily pulled off a CKD which would have helped pare down prices by a few lakhs. Also, I understand RTO taxes are more for CBU, which adds to the OTR cost and could have been avoided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon
Imagine this, will you take Grand Vitara to your street MASS center. Wont you only rely on bigger shops than risking it in smaller service centers.
Why just the GV or Kizashi ? To a discerning owner, his car, even if its a 5-lakh hatch is precious. To give an example, I had to get the 1st free service done of our A*-AT. I live in a small town in Kerala where there are atleast 3 MASS in a 5km radius. But, being AT, I was kinda worried to give it to a place where they might not have had an AT come in for servicing earlier. Anyway, I dropped in and after talking a bit to the SA who filled up the jobcard, I could make out that they know what they are doing.

And once the Liva and Brio are launched, will the City/Accord/Corolla/Camry owners take their car elsewhere to service just because the service centres also service small cars ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma
I think what GTO meant to say is that, in the eyes of the general public Kizashi is a car by Maruti which is known for small cars. Kizashi might not have the Maruti name on it but it still is being sold by Maruti. Can Maruti sell it at this price??? Well, only time will tell.
Tata in India is synonymous with trucks at best and Indica/Ace at worst. That does not seem to be preventing people from paying 15l for the Aria. Brand value does matter, but it is not something that a good product coupled with good pricing cannot handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanstorm
I think Maruti is hell bent on making another Baleno out of Kizashi. Remember the time, when Baleno was priced close ~9L , while the time before been phased out was retailing at 5.5L.
I am in line for the Kizashi, if they do a Baleno like price-reduction.
Old 3rd February 2011, 09:33   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Agreed. Infact during our conversation, I did give a few examples from the 'Comedy of Errors at Dealerships Thread'. Maruti just cant have these goof ups with the Kizashi.

Mr Shrivastava did mentioned that the Accord and Camry are its chief competitors in India and later went on to agree that the 1.8 TSI Superb also finds a place there. Another interesting fact is that the Kizashi is sellling better in the US than in the home country Japan.
Not sure that is accurate - US sales of the Kizashi are dismal to say the least. Suzuki sold around 6000 units of Kizashi in the whole of 2010. This compares with around 15000-18000 units that Camry/Accord each sell every month!China sales are a similar story.
Old 3rd February 2011, 10:18   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Like I said, the Accord is quite a bit larger and roomy inside. Its 2.4 also comes with i-VTEC technology. Yes, the Indian Accord is quite barebones but then evan an Altis beats it in the gizmo count.
Quite agree that Accord is bigger and roomier. However, cars are not only measured on the space factor. Otherwise Corolla should be more expensive than Laura, and that's not the case.
As for the engine, the Suzuki 2.4 is as high tech as the Honda, and infact, has higher peak torque at lower rpm, and is also comparable on peak power. Since SX4 has VVT, I guess so does Kizashi. BTW, as launched in India, Kizashi is way faster than Accord, and also a much better handler as per reviews.
So, both sedans have their pluses, and they are as comparable in India as they are in US ...
Old 3rd February 2011, 10:26   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjlives View Post
Not sure that is accurate - US sales of the Kizashi are dismal to say the least. Suzuki sold around 6000 units of Kizashi in the whole of 2010. This compares with around 15000-18000 units that Camry/Accord each sell every month!China sales are a similar story.
You may be right but here the statement was made with regards to sales US v/s Japan. So the Kizashi didnt even sell 6000 units in Japan in 2010?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed