Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2011, 01:53   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 'Spotted' in Gurgaon EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.5 Lakh Ex De

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Sigghhh, there goes another sedan option off my list. But that was bound to happen being a CBU, wasn't it!

Rush, maybe this will be the first case of "introductory" prices going the other way, as in down
Suman Da,

I was in your shoes too and then one fine day the good people at HM had Cedia's bunny tooth extracted. Sirji come on over and join the club before they take away the Momo steering and the OZ wheels. The facts that it is now cheaper by 60K and comes in summer friendly beige interiors do not hurt. Haan kar bhi do, new car party ko tbhp meet ka jama pehna denge, more savings
Old 4th February 2011, 02:26   #377
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 'Spotted' in Gurgaon EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.5 Lakh Ex De

I think another marketing failure is not launching a cheaper entry level version w/o sunroof, 18" wheels, leather, Rockford Fosgate audio etc.

At least it would establish the perception that Kizashi is affordable. (while retaining the 16.5 lakh fully loaded version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
The Kizashi is under such a predicament. The cars stregths i.e. great dynamics and a more compact exterior should be ideal for the European markets, but it has a big petrol engine while rest of the makers provide a more viable Diesel option and second the Suzuki brand doesnt help either
Exactly, its an American size engine in a Euro Chassis. Wonder which market its targetted. Waay too big for JDM as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
However, cars are not only measured on the space factor.

As for the engine, the Suzuki 2.4 is as high tech as the Honda, and infact, has higher peak torque at lower rpm, and is also comparable on peak power..
I thought the recalled the ACI review mentioned lack of low rpm torque. Honda has lift and phasing whereas J24 has intake only cam phaser.

Also note that in the US, smaller cars like Corolla, Cobalt,Lancer, Caliber, Sentra all come with 2.4 liter engines. Focus and Maz3 use 2.5 liter engines.

Suzuki's strategy is to put big engines in small cars. For example in the US, SX4 comes with 2 liter engine and is pegged against Civic and Corolla.

Last edited by Mpower : 4th February 2011 at 03:04.
Old 4th February 2011, 03:18   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I thought the ACI review mentioned lack of low rpm torque.
Yes, but which Honda engine has good low-end grunt ? ACI also complains of Accord performance in stop-go traffic. Most Honda engines need revving to get decent pull. The Kizashi does make higher peak torque at lower rpm than the Honda - coupled with the lower weight, it is more than a second faster in 0-100kmph. Kizashi has a 6-speed MT to Accord's 5-speed, so its more driveable than the latter.
Quote:
Also note that in the US, smaller cars like Corolla, Cobalt, Mazda3, Caliber, Sentra all come with 2.4/2.5 liter engines.
Those are usually not the base models. For Kizashi, this is the base model. They target a more sporty profile, surely they can't achieve that putting a Corolla 1.8l engine. And in any case, if more manufacturers sport larger engines in their smaller cars (and Kizashi is larger than a Corolla or Mazda3), then what is Suzuki doing wrong ? BTW, Corolla only has 1.8l in US these days, Mazda has 2l and 2.5l engines

Last edited by lancer_rit : 4th February 2011 at 03:20.
Old 4th February 2011, 08:35   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit
Yes, but which Honda engine has good low-end grunt ? Most Honda engines need revving to get decent pull.
Ha, but when the car in question is a Honda, that obvious weakness is turned into a strength by calling their cars "revv-friendly".
Old 4th February 2011, 09:49   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Ha, but when the car in question is a Honda, that obvious weakness is turned into a strength by calling their cars "revv-friendly".
Pointless comment, if you read Autocar, they have clearly stated many times about the lack of low-end-torque in many Honda engines.
But Honda engines are truly rev-happy! Drive one and see.

Kizashi looks to me to be a very good car. Compared to the specs and features, the price is definitely competitive. Just because it is a Maruti, if has to be cheap? Not a fair argument!
Old 4th February 2011, 10:20   #381
Senior - BHPian

Looks good to me, but I doubt I will consider a Maruti if I had 16+ lacs to spare for a car!
Old 4th February 2011, 11:35   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
@suman, I guess you'll need to hang on till the Mondeo is launched
Can't wait for another two years, need a replacement this year
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Sirji come on over and join the club before they take away the Momo steering and the OZ wheels. The facts that it is now cheaper by 60K and comes in summer friendly beige interiors do not hurt.
Tarun, the Cedia was high on my list, gave it up because of the "ageing" factor but now its right back on the radar, along with the Vento TDI - if only you could arrange the smoked headlamps, maybe I'd take the plunge
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I saw the new Fiesta there, but in terms of rear space, there was hardly any increase from the current model that we have in India.
Yup, that's exactly the comment I made on the New fiesta thread after reading the specs of the Thai model!

Last edited by suman : 4th February 2011 at 11:36.
Old 4th February 2011, 12:35   #383
Distinguished - BHPian

Cheap plastics?
quote: autopacific 2010 vsa
"The vehicle - car or truck - registering highest overall satisfaction in 2010 is the all new Suzuki Kizashi."
Link:
AutoPacific - AutoPacific Announces 2010 Vehicle Satisfaction Awards

Quite sure cheap plastics would have taken this rating south, by a lot...
and 5 star safety rating:
2010 Suzuki Kizashi Rates 5 Stars In NHTSA Test

hmmm.
dalda man to the rescue!!

Last edited by GTO : 4th February 2011 at 12:54. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been deleted
Old 4th February 2011, 13:00   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Can't wait for another two years, need a replacement this year

Tarun, the Cedia was high on my list, gave it up because of the "ageing" factor but now its right back on the radar, along with the Vento TDI - if only you could arrange the smoked headlamps, maybe I'd take the plunge

Yup, that's exactly the comment I made on the New fiesta thread after reading the specs of the Thai model!
AT the risk of going OT.

Call it coincidence but just prior to reading your post I was talking to someone who has a spanking new Vento Tdi and the guy is already complaining about the driving ergonomics. The right footwell is smaller than the left footwell and the man (about 5'9" tall) was very bitter about how cramped his legs feel while driving. This is a major problem with almost all of the European marquees whose original designs are left hand drives and naturally the left footwell gets premium space. The Americans are slightly better in this regard but only just. Do check this out when you consider the Vento. As for the smoked head lamps not an issue. They are available as spares and once you are ready to take the plunge we can make it a must have factor (in exchange for the clear ones) leading to the signatures being appended on the p.o.
Old 4th February 2011, 15:41   #385
Senior - BHPian

I for one sure like it. Sure it would have been cheaper if they assembled it locally but it's still cheaper than competition around. I like the idea of a powerful engine in a car that's smaller than accord/camry. In today's traffic it would be much easier to drive this one around in city and gas it on the highways. Being a CBU, I am sure it has better plastics and finishing than what most manufactures offer us here.

The way I look at it, it's smaller than an Accord but just as powerful. Hell, I like it! I would be in absolute minority though. Only drawback might be higher spare costs.
Old 4th February 2011, 15:45   #386
BHPian

Something interesting going on - the official facebook fan page for M.S.Kizashi now has about 16K followers, and the page maker, is going hammer and tongs in defending the product, its' pricing and even M.S share price.

Facebook as a platform for marketing a product expected to sell about 200/300 units a months looks quite innovative. I think we can hand it to M.S. for bringing about this innovation. The Vento gave us a Audio advertisement, and M.S. is hoping to open up new frontiers in Marketing/Brand Management. Wait and watch has never been so exciting, even though I'm no way near being a potential customer for the Kizashi.
Old 4th February 2011, 16:17   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
Something interesting going on - the official facebook fan page for M.S.Kizashi now has about 16K followers, and the page maker, is going hammer and tongs in defending the product, its' pricing and even M.S share price.

Facebook as a platform for marketing a product expected to sell about 200/300 units a months looks quite innovative. I think we can hand it to M.S. for bringing about this innovation. The Vento gave us a Audio advertisement, and M.S. is hoping to open up new frontiers in Marketing/Brand Management. Wait and watch has never been so exciting, even though I'm no way near being a potential customer for the Kizashi.
FB is a regular tool for marketers now, Etios has been there for quiet some time apart from Fortuner, Scorpio, Bolero, etc. etc.
Old 4th February 2011, 17:29   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
FB is a regular tool for marketers now, Etios has been there for quiet some time apart from Fortuner, Scorpio, Bolero, etc. etc.
Want to add Volkswagen who have seperate sections to post questions, comments etc. And for some of the posts the owner of Volkswagen India FB has responded confirming dates of delivery as well as price related questions.

Only problem i feel with such social networks is that good comments are never posted nor people who had good experience take time to post the comments. Only those who had a bad day at office will be posting. It will look like a forum for cribbing
Old 4th February 2011, 19:45   #389
Senior - BHPian

I dont think any amount of traditional or viral marketing will save Kizashi from the plight it is in. Until and unless a car buyer is looking for a pure drivers saloon, no badge snobiness within 20 lacs and able to live with a fuel efficiency south of 9km/ltr; the Kizashi will not figure in anyones shopping list. And despite every Bhpian claiming to have motoring testosterone flowing through their veins when it comes to buying a car in the real world, most of us have to go for practical if not boring options.

There is nothing wrong with Kizashi as a car but unfortunately its in the wrong market and wears the wrong badge.
Old 4th February 2011, 21:13   #390
BANNED

With this kind of pricing for Kizashi, one thing that I predict now is: the sales of SX4 ZXi and AT is going to increase!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks