Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2010, 11:31   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meer View Post
* All the cars have HR passing as the factory is in Haryana
Doesnt that mean the cars are CKD? Or is there any need for CBUs to go through the factory?
Old 2nd November 2010, 16:20   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
EDIT : What bothers me is the resemblance it bears at the front with the Swift. Not a good thing in a car atleast 2 segments higher. I remember reading here that one of the reasons the Ford Mondeo bombed here was the resemblance to the Ikon. There was quite some resemblance to the Ikon and I guess the target segment won't like to plonk 15L odd on a car that could be mistaken for something costing less than half that.
Well - the Jazz, ANHC, Civic and Accord have always had some resemblances.
Ditto for Corolla and Camry.

But then, MS doesnt have the perceived snob value of the above two.

Frankly, I think that if Swift were the baby, then SX4 looks like the pregnant mother and Kizashi like the beefy father
Old 2nd November 2010, 17:58   #63
BHPian

A D-zire is a Swift spanked on the rear for being a bad, bad boy

As for the Kizashi, it is a worthy launch in developed markets. In India, we are still overpaying for our Accords and Civics, hence pricing will be a key factor. Maruti has really no way out other than pricing the Kizashi as low as possible. The 11-20 lacs segment is still evolving (as more and more people can afford to upgrade), there is enough space for a VFM Maruti-Suzuki to cannibalize the Hondas and Toyotas that dominate the game.
Old 2nd November 2010, 18:02   #64
BHPian

Why are we sending a car which might, just might turn out to be good to it's death bed before being "born" in India?
Nice "analysis" by various "Maruthi" haters/likers though, must admit that

Maybe it's because it comes from Maruti stable.

What if the same vehicle had come with a Honda, Skoda,Fiat or a VW badge? (for that matter any other badge :-))Wouldn't we all be drooling, making statements to the effect that car will be excellent to drive,what a fantastic looking twin exhaust? ;-)

Looks like Maruthi for the rest of it's life has to live with the tag of poor man's vehicle. No doubt it is, but we are not letting the company give a try to come to the upper segments.

Once Maruthi comes 2nd or 3d or shuts shop we'll train our guns on the next topper
Also we want/expect all frills and fancies in a Maruthi car, but ready to shell out 60-75K for alloy wheels and fogs on a City.

Last edited by bkbkr1212 : 2nd November 2010 at 18:06. Reason: Added last line
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:54   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post
Looks like Maruthi for the rest of it's life has to live with the tag of poor man's vehicle. No doubt it is, but we are not letting the company give a try to come to the upper segments.
The only try so far MS has had in the luxury segment is the Grand Vitara. The interiors remind one of Swift or SX4 - not something somebody paying 15L would like. It has neither the road presence of an Endy or a Fortuner, nor a yummy/efficient diesel pot.

We dont want/need lame efforts like the GV, but a game changer like Swift (or even SX4 - this was the first to offer airbags in its segment at a reasonable price).
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:20   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

ah, i suppose its the "guilty until proven innocent" scenario.
you know what?
i am quite sure they are toning the car down by big notches.
doesnt make sense to immediately jump into a 15-20L space when the next lesser sedan in the stable is a sub 10 Lac one.
We all know "MARUTI" to be extremely competitive in pricing brackets.
look at the crowd in the 3-7 lac range: alto,a-star,ritz,estilo,swift......
UNLESS...unless they are planning some surprise by way of an unmentioned,unseen sedan in the 10L plus range...highly improbable...or pricing out 7-8 variants of the kizashi...wot say?
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:10   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
Well - the Jazz, ANHC, Civic and Accord have always had some resemblances. Ditto for Corolla and Camry.
The current Honda offerings do not really have much similarity in looks. Atleast none that would make people confuse one for the other. But yes, the OHC and the 1st gen Indian Accord did have quite some frontal similarities - but both cars sold well due to our 'Hondaffinity'. The Altis and Camry do look similar.

@bkbkr1212, IMO no one has anything against the Kizashi, which has been getting accolades as a great car (in markets where it is available). But a great product alone does not guarantee success in our market. Hence the deliberations on price-point and positioning.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 3rd November 2010 at 12:12.
Old 3rd November 2010, 15:12   #68
BHPian

Reserve judgments till you drive the car guys, it is a great car from Suzuki! The one i drove had the works, sunroof, heated seats(useless in india, so maybe this wont be included), everything electric and a really sweet CVT gearbox.

The real treat was the 'paddle shift' changing gears on the steering wheel, i was surprised the CVT allowed some really aggressive downshifting which made it more fun to drive. It's a bit strange to have the engine sitting on a steady RPM (from memory it was just a few hundred from redline) as the car just keeps gaining speed.

The interior is AWESOME, everything is quality from the door trims to the headliner, I honestly have no idea on how long the interior will last before it starts to wear out and look old but trust me. Fantastic inside and outside and really nice to drive, you might just spend the money for this one
Old 4th November 2010, 00:53   #69
BHPian

Regards the Kizashi looks like DZire comment - I completely disagree. If you wanna base your opinion on a poorly shot mobile photo, please note the tree shadow as it makes the bonnet appear shallow. As noted by several articles (just google "Maruti Kizashi") the car is perhaps more close to an Audi in terms of its' profile and styling.

Who knows what lies in the future, MS may be destined for more glory in India especially after the Japs took over its management...and the Kizashi might just be its' stepping stone.

Also, sincere thanks for the photo to the one who posted.
Old 5th November 2010, 00:15   #70
Senior - BHPian

any news on when it will be available for a test drive ?

rev
Old 5th November 2010, 16:17   #71
Senior - BHPian

Waiting eagerly to have a look and do a TD. IF they don't downgrade the specs, it will be an awesome car. If I were looking for a sedan, I might have gone for it. I was just teasing my wife - "Let's exchange the SX4 for a Kizashi...now that we have the Fortuner, we don't need such high ground clearance or bad road capabilities". She was like "WT#%$#_#"!!!
Old 5th November 2010, 17:27   #72
Senior - BHPian

Kizashi looks like a dzire? come on, gimme a break. Long hood, short rear deck proportions look decent if a bit bland.

Pricing between 11-13 is what we want. Over 14 is a big no no.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 'Spotted' in Gurgaon EDIT: Launched  at Rs. 16.5 Lakh Ex Delhi-suzukikizashi_2010_1600x1200_wallpaper_21.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 'Spotted' in Gurgaon EDIT: Launched  at Rs. 16.5 Lakh Ex Delhi-suzukikizashi_2010_1600x1200_wallpaper_22.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 'Spotted' in Gurgaon EDIT: Launched  at Rs. 16.5 Lakh Ex Delhi-suzukikizashi_2010_1600x1200_wallpaper_24.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 'Spotted' in Gurgaon EDIT: Launched  at Rs. 16.5 Lakh Ex Delhi-suzukikizashi_2010_1600x1200_wallpaper_2c.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 'Spotted' in Gurgaon EDIT: Launched  at Rs. 16.5 Lakh Ex Delhi-suzukikizashi_2010_1600x1200_wallpaper_2e.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 'Spotted' in Gurgaon EDIT: Launched  at Rs. 16.5 Lakh Ex Delhi-suzukikizashi_2010_1600x1200_wallpaper_47.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 'Spotted' in Gurgaon EDIT: Launched  at Rs. 16.5 Lakh Ex Delhi-suzukikizashi_2010_1600x1200_wallpaper_42.jpg  

Old 5th November 2010, 18:13   #73
Senior - BHPian

Ok I'm just thinking aloud, but, does anyone else think that if launched, the Kizashi will be put up against the Chevorlet Cruze ?
Old 5th November 2010, 20:10   #74
Senior - BHPian

Neat Machine

The Kizashi looks pretty good to me and i agree with Sid in respect to the looks but i doubt maruti can price this between 11-13 Lakhs. I would expect a sticker of around 15 L if Maruti is being smart about it. Overseas it competes with the Camry, Accord, Maxima, Sonata etc and that would put it in the 18-20L price range. I really hope maruti doesnt feel it can pull off a 'Superb' on Honda and company. No matter how much we criticize Skoda, its got a premium brand image in the country.
Old 6th November 2010, 14:52   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Ok I'm just thinking aloud, but, does anyone else think that if launched, the Kizashi will be put up against the Chevorlet Cruze ?

Hi,

I have no idea about Indian pricing but here a Kizashie is 30-40K the cruize is about 35k in its most expensive configuration. I drove the Kizashi and the Cruze (petrol and diesel) back to back to back. The cruze cannot compete with the Kizashi in terms of anything except for price.

The K just has so many more features and everything it has is better, example you dont insert a key into the ignition. Simply sit in the car, with the transponder on you and press the start button to go.

Thanks
Paul
Closed Thread

Most Viewed