Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2011, 13:04   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 'Spotted' in Gurgaon EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.5 Lakh Ex De

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
+1 ! For all those people who thinks that SX4 is doing great numbers, they might want to check the competitor sales. I guess City is never seen as a VFM car, have been termed premium pricing, but no other cars in the segment could beat it.
Competitors? City is the market leader wrt sales figures alright, but competitors are no good either. Here's some data. jan 2011 figures.

Aveo - 240
Linea - 947
Ikon - 0
Fiesta - 1059
City - 5059
Accent - 1317
Verna - 1858
Logan - 1120

SX4 - 2159

SX4 is the second only to City wrt to sales.

Quote:
OT : My org has around 40 employees and not a single auto enthusiast think Kizashi deserves this price tag. I agree that 40 people are not a sampling data to base judgment on, but then they can pass on their feedback to their friends and family as well. I noticed that apart from the 2.4L engine, there is nothing much the Kizashi fans are talking about. Yes, it is the strongest point of this car, but how many prospective buyers in this segment bother about such a powerful engine? And I guess Laura will be a better option [as a complete package] there as well ?
2.4L engine and nothing much? The chassis and handling? The features it offers? And 40 from your org is no good a collective sample, as you said.

Give it a break, guys. Maybe, MSIL could have sacrificed some of it's profit margin on the Kizashi, by pricing it competitively, but it failed there. The current pricing is justified, given that it's a CBU import.
Old 6th February 2011, 14:31   #407
BANNED

Re: Maruti Suzuki Kizashi 'Spotted' in Gurgaon EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.5 Lakh Ex De

Quote:
But its already bombed!! No way out for Maruti here.
Bombed? The car has not yet reached the showrooms, not available for test drives, and you are declaring that it has bombed?

Quote:
The very good example is the i20. Hyundai has exceptionally done well and will always be treated with respect in this regard - they brought in a brilliant product with hell lots of equipments and a sensible pricing [against the Jazz] where people was quite happy and willing to pay the price quoted. Now for any model they bring in, if they price sensible, I am sure they will have takers against any of the models they pit against. I dont think any of the customers will feel Hyundai is just a mass market brand. And I am amazed at the new designs + the new Diesel model they are bringing in for Verna RB - they had a stonker of an engine, but they have gone one step ahead and even upgraded the existing engine to a more powerful engine though there was no complain on the power parameter for the existing Verna.
One Maruti customer looks and most probably moves to the Hyundai stable, IMO.

Quote:
My org has around 40 employees and not a single auto enthusiast think Kizashi deserves this price tag. I agree that 40 people are not a sampling data to base judgment on, but then they can pass on their feedback to their friends and family as well. I noticed that apart from the 2.4L engine, there is nothing much the Kizashi fans are talking about.
One doubt here: Are you working with any of the Kizashi competitors' company? If yes, then none of your colleagues there will think Kizashi deserves this price tag.

Do you think that the only plus point for Kizashi is the engine? Just read the international reviews if Indians reviews are not available. It rides and handles superbly, is well packed with features, is high on security features, and here in India, it has the legendary Maruti support.

I too think that Kizashi is overpriced. Just because Maruti's current highest priced car SX4 is priced around 7-9L. Instead of jumping 2 segments, they had to launch Kizashi in the 12L price segment.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 7th February 2011 at 08:38. Reason: Please adhere to the 2-smileys-per-post rule. Thanks.
Old 6th February 2011, 15:53   #408
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post

One Maruti customer looks and most probably moves to the Hyundai stable, IMO.
Not really sure this is aimed at me - If yes, true - I dont think I will have another car from the Maruti stable though I have one now. If not aimed at me, there are lots of other customers in this very forum who see much more value in other brands, who are moving out of Maruti or the likes - Call it the VFM thoughts.

Quote:
One doubt here: Are you working with any of the Kizashi competitors' company? If yes, then none of your colleagues there will think Kizashi deserves this price tag.
What makes you think my colleagues and I have to be working for Maruti's competitors to make our opinion on the pricing? How many members on this forum are actually directly associated with any automotive companies? But we all here make our opinions and engage in creative discussions right? This statement was also one like that.

Quote:
Do you think that the only plus point for Kizashi is the engine? Just read the international reviews if Indians reviews are not available. It rides and handles superbly, is well packed with features, is high on security features, and here in India, it has the legendary Maruti support.
So you think we are getting the very same spec'ced Kizashi in India? Please be informed that the suspension for India has been re-worked and Kizashi is not exactly the same handler as sold in overseas. The suspension height has been increased and also the stiffness has brought down to make the ride plush. Infact to know how much is the difference, we will have to wait till the full fledged TD report.

Quote:
I too think that Kizashi is overpriced. Just because Maruti's current highest priced car SX4 is priced around 7-9L. Instead of jumping 2 segments, they had to launch Kizashi in the 12L price segment.
Now you are talking my point in a different language! So I am not sure how can an overpriced product become a hit ! Probably its just me.

And I guess many of my fellow bhpians are offended because of the "bombing" usage - I should have rather waited for the sales numbers. I dont have anythings against the car but the pricing. My personal belief is that Kizashi with the current features and brand value is simply not worth the price tag.

Off topic: You are not supposed to use more than 2 smileys per post as per our forum rules.
Old 6th February 2011, 17:03   #409
BHPian

We have excused "Sriram" Honda for overpricing their cars, so lets spare "Maruti" Suzuki from this bashing. Maruti is getting a piece of cake here, not wanting to eat anything from it. Cake from overseas pinches but is good for the diet. Customers have to pay the premium to remove the word "Maruti" (made by Maruti) from it. Most of the guys reflect the general sentiment that car is excellent, so lets see a vis-a-vis comparison between C+ and D segment cars and see where the Kizashi scores in Indian scenario. It looks like Kizashi is in ICU and no one wants to help the brand survive or being promoted to a premium brand. It is their personal call to have a overpriced product. Lets not attach "cheapness or non-premium" labels. Where is it written that you are paying so much for a "Maruti" ? Most of us like to call expensive products as "Premium" and cheaper alternatives as "Value for Money". Its all in a person's ego. Given the typical Indian mentality, I might also go for a Skoda or Honda because of its snob value - Because at the end of the day people will laugh at me to see me spend 16l for a "Maruti". Is it not such a pity. In the past I laughed at Etios that why it came with a bigger engine and not competing with C (instead of C- segment). Then I realised that it was my ego to not accept the way Etios was being launched. Lets not kill well deserving products -Just voice the right concerns. If kizashi fails, its a loss not only for suzuki but for us too, as other brands will have more courage to sell "premium" products and give lousy offerings. I don't want to market any stuff here. PERIOD. Just may the best kid win. Also, pricing of cars need to be at par with SIAM's categorization by length. Given its dimensions, it is a A5 (D) segment car (though could be the smallest). So now quote me prices of all D segment cars and see how Kizashi is stacked up.

Old 6th February 2011, 17:56   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My personal belief is that Kizashi with the current features and brand value is simply not worth the price tag.
Out of curiosity, how did you arrive at the brand value of Suzuki? I would like to apply the same formulae to other Jap brands and see how they fare! I hope it's not the formula tat arrives at 3 Lac for Suzuki.

Features? Dude, the Kizashi has few features that most other D-segment cars lack, and few which are present in the much costlier Accord. Are you forgetting that the Kizashi is a CBU import and the duties that have to be paid? I bet that if a similarly spec'ed CBU is launched by Honda, it would be a higher pricepoint. They can afford to do that, since people blindly believe the Honda tag. This is Suzuki's first time, wait and watch, or take a TD before you comment that it is over-priced, blah blah!

Last edited by DRIV3R : 6th February 2011 at 18:27. Reason: Typo
Old 6th February 2011, 19:03   #411
Senior - BHPian

There is no way of predicting if the Kizashi will be a hit or a miss in India unless we wait and see how the market takes it.

At an OTR rate of 18 Lakhs, there are a lot of other premium brands to chose from and Maruti isn't exactly premium(which might be the only negative). But on the plus side there are a lot of positive international reviews on the features, ride and handling of the Kizashi.Are these benefits worth the premium price tag on the Maruti/Suzuki badging ? Only time will tell.
Old 6th February 2011, 19:37   #412
BHPian

Kizashi's marketing calls it the country's first luxury sport sedan. Seems like they have forgotten about a certain 3 series. The contrary point could be that maybe this is exactly the target they are up against. A 'poor' man's performance car if you will. Would be interesting to see how it's sales play out.
Old 6th February 2011, 20:10   #413
BHPian

saw a Kizashi today near Kochi. Black. Looked like an overgrown ugly SX4. Not at all impressive.
Old 6th February 2011, 20:35   #414
BHPian

I am waiting for the first TV ad for the Kizashi, as given its' placement, the product will need massive recall especially in the upper middle class segments. There was a comparision earlier quoted in a different context between a Nokia v/s iPhone; to me, the battle between Kizashi v/s rest would be quite akin to a Samsung Galaxy v/s iPad. An already established platform is being challenged by a new entrant - atleast in the class of products, with a matching if not better product.

The last buzz I saw was a two page ad of the Kizashi in TOI, it spoke volumes about the intention at M.Suzuki, or should we say Suzuki Motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunsasi View Post
saw a Kizashi today near Kochi. Black. Looked like an overgrown ugly SX4. Not at all impressive.
Fair comment, especially given that you drive the most beautiful car on Indian roads - the DZire.

Last edited by Fornax : 6th February 2011 at 20:50.
Old 6th February 2011, 23:41   #415
BHPian

Quote:

So you think we are getting the very same spec'ced Kizashi in India? Please be informed that the suspension for India has been re-worked and Kizashi is not exactly the same handler as sold in overseas. The suspension height has been increased and also the stiffness has brought down to make the ride plush. Infact to know how much is the difference, we will have to wait till the full fledged TD report.
I was also trying to compare the specs between US and Indian version of Kizashi during the Indian launch. The only thing I could find was the Engine output differed by a bit. Please post any information/links about the differences between Foreign and Indian versions.
Old 7th February 2011, 03:07   #416
BHPian

Why are so many of you being so sensible?

A 2.4! liter engine with MT! in a Rs. 18-20L car that should be super reliable! A delightful drivers car for those of us who can't afford a Porsche or a BMW

I thought Team-BHP was a forum for petrol heads!
Old 7th February 2011, 09:15   #417
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjew View Post
Why are so many of you being so sensible?

A 2.4! liter engine with MT! in a Rs. 18-20L car that should be super reliable! A delightful drivers car for those of us who can't afford a Porsche or a BMW

I thought Team-BHP was a forum for petrol heads!

What makes you think, that, this kind of combo that demands a price over 13 lacs.

Certainly not a VFM preposition, its thing apart. Maruti's made very few VFM cars like the M-800, Gypsy and Alto.

Time only can tell if Kizashi will sell well in our Country.
Old 7th February 2011, 09:36   #418
Senior - BHPian

Maruti has the "Common man's car" label. So I feel it will be a strict no-no for anyone ready to pay Rs 10 lacs or above for a car. However good Kizashi is, it will not give the numbers for this reason alone IMO. Neither will they get their numbers from anything other than the sub 6 lacs category, nor will they acquire the premium car maker label anytime soon.

This holds good for Hyundai as well.
Old 7th February 2011, 09:51   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
I was also trying to compare the specs between US and Indian version of Kizashi during the Indian launch. The only thing I could find was the Engine output differed by a bit. Please post any information/links about the differences between Foreign and Indian versions.
gshanky, I got the info from multiple articles [cant really re-call where did I read about this] but I have the ODMAG TD report in youtube and pasting it here once again. I had pasted it some 3-4 pages back I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post

Fair comment, especially given that you drive the most beautiful car on Indian roads - the DZire.
Fornax, I believe that was an unnecessary personal attack on Arun. I guess any member has the right here to put their views on a car and how it looks to them. If you dont want to agree, please feel free to, but please refrain from commenting on what car he owns or how does it look to you [If it was on a general thread like the official TD thread, it would have been still OK as it would not have been personal]. Personal tastes differ and lets leave it to them and move on with our discussions and not insult some one for buying a Dzire or something - probably "practicality" and not "looks" was prime criterion for Arun to zero-in on Dzire.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th February 2011 at 09:55.
Old 7th February 2011, 09:55   #420
BHPian

Toyota brought out a premium brand chain Lexus. Honda brought in Acura.

Maruti's jump from 5Lac bracket to 15lac is similar to Toyota and Honda jumping from 15lac bracket to 30Lac. MS should have followed this route if they wanted to break into this segment. What say, at-least for India?

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 7th February 2011 at 09:58.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed