Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2010, 13:57   #1
BHPian

SCOOP! Cruze Petrol spotted in Bangalore

Yes finally the Cruze Petrol is headed for our shores, i caught one at the Chevy Dealership in bangalore, its got the ECO Tech Engine, could not get too much details as i was in for a quick fix for my car. From what it looks seems like its the 1.4 Turbo charged engine. i managed to click a snap.

Well will this be the product that changes things for Chevy in India?

SCOOP! Cruze Petrol spotted in Bangalore-ieco.jpg

Last edited by ajmat : 20th September 2010 at 15:57.
Old 20th September 2010, 14:23   #2
BHPian

@ Ajay
Good Scoop

Did you asked the dealer for engine specification or it was written some where in the engine bay about 1.4 being a turbo unit ? The picture is very blurred, it seems it was taken on the move. If the news of 1.4 being turbo is accurate then we have serious competition on our hands as linea T-jet will be launched, but things said we are yet to have full specification for the 1.4 unit any one who has little clue what technical specifications to expect from this engine ?

Last edited by driving_smartly : 20th September 2010 at 14:24.
Old 20th September 2010, 14:23   #3
BHPian

The Cruze Eco Version is said to have a fancy arrangement to reduce drag by closing the front with a Louvre kind of arrangement that makes it more aerodynamic.

It is expected in a few months time in the US. I like the Turbo charged Petrol engine concept it is kind of the best of both worlds- Good Power and decent economy.
Old 20th September 2010, 14:30   #4
BHPian

Great scoop Ajay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
@ Ajay
Good Scoop

Did you asked the dealer for engine specification or it was written some where in the engine bay about 1.4 being a turbo unit ? The picture is very blurred, it seems it was taken on the move. If the news of 1.4 being turbo is accurate then we have serious competition on our hands as linea T-jet will be launched, but things said we are yet to have full specification for the 1.4 unit any one who has little clue what technical specifications to expect from this engine ?
The turbocharged 1.4L engine produces 140 bhp@ 4900 rpm and a torque of 200 Nm@ 1850-4900 rpm.

This car will be competing against Civic/Corolla while the Linea T-Jet will be competing against the ANHC. Eitherways it is good to see more manufacturers launching their vehicles with turbocharged engines.

Last edited by harishnair : 20th September 2010 at 14:31.
Old 20th September 2010, 15:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Great Scoop Ajay!! Correct me if I'm wrong ,the alloys in the scoop pic look similar to the alloys provided worldwide unlike the Indian Cruze with Multi Spoke Alloy.
Old 20th September 2010, 15:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

How many turbo-charged petrols in sub 25 lakh segment have met with success.
Laura TSI, Skoda 1.8 TPI (no sales chart hits).

Any clue about the potential ARAI mileage figures. Cruze lacks in space, interiors, resale notions and similar. For this to succeed, it has to be priced very very competitively.

For that matterm, the T-Jet is going to suffer from weighty issues, when pitched against the ANHC.
Old 20th September 2010, 15:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice scoop - albeit more pictures would have made it even better (greedy me!).
Chevy should price this very carefully, maybe a shade above the ANHC/Vento territory.
Old 20th September 2010, 15:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

the wheels of the car in the pic looks similar to the USDM version. The engine is known as Ecotec 1.4T
Old 20th September 2010, 15:43   #9
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Great Scoop ajay mathew. Slowly US Market is becoming average conscious. 1.4 turbo should give decent mileage. GM also launching RS model too with some mods for a sportier appearance.
Old 20th September 2010, 15:51   #10
BHPian

@driving_smartly: Yup pics are a lil off, had to take it when no one was watching From what i understand the Cruze is available in 1.4 Turbo, 1.6 And 1.8L, more info on GM Engines: GM Family 1 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@harishnair: This could be the civic killer, but then again the interiors are a bit of a worry which might be the only negative.

@karanraheja:Yup these are not the OEM Alloys that come with the Cruze in Inida, its the same one that comes on the display models in the US Promo videos.

@blackasta: Yup should have taken more pics. But if priced well and if the interiors are improved this might just sell well.

@v&v: Yup they have a RS model with a sport kit, hope i can buy the kit here for my Cruze
Old 20th September 2010, 16:17   #11
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Linea T-Jet would be priced possibly 1L more than the current Line petrol and the top end emotion + option pack model would be bang in cruz territory with the Cruz petrol being priced possibly 1L less than the base desel variant that they have. The Civic, Corolla, ANHC, Laura 1.8TSI and Linea would all be competing in the same space more or less, depending on the variant within petrol.

Yes the Corolla and Civic are a direct competitor followed by the Laura TSI, but compared to Diesels the petrols hardly sell today in the segment and the cruz turbo petrol is not likely to change things much unless it really goes head on for the ANHC / Linea price band - which is doable and can seriously change the game.
Old 20th September 2010, 18:25   #12
BHPian

Great Scoop. Guess, GM is going to experiment this 1.4 L engine and use them for its Aveo (2011) and U-VA ( if launched). This, I feel is similar to what Toyota is doing with its 1.4 L diesel. First in Corolla Altis and then in Etios.
Old 21st September 2010, 07:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

This doesn't make sense as I remember reading GM India Head's interview that they don't intend to launch the petrol version of Cruze anytime sooner.

One reason for success of diesel Cruze is its awesome power. If you take that out of the equation, the car is pretty ordinary vis-a-vis the competition i.e. Laura, Corolla and Civic. Unless GM intends to load it with lots of gizmos and also price it very competitively, I don't think it will make any impact in the market like the Laura 1.8 TSI.
Old 21st September 2010, 13:18   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
the car is pretty ordinary vis-a-vis the competition i.e. Laura, Corolla and Civic. Unless GM intends to load it with lots of gizmos and also price it very competitively, I don't think it will make any impact in the market like the Laura 1.8 TSI.
I dont think that petrol cruze will be any sort of ordinary car.
apart from engine features like sunroof and PEPS( i.e if they have a petrol LTZ) are not found in any other cars of same segment.
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:47   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If GM intends to launch the Cruze petrol, it'll greatly widen the appeal of the car. The diesel will remain the engine of choice, no doubt on that. However, the petrol will be 1.xx lakhs cheaper (hence, lowering the entry point) and not everyone in the segment wants a diesel. In August 2010, the Cruze was the best selling diesel from its class. Another 200 - 300 units from petrol won't hurt

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks