Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2010, 16:09   #1
Team-BHP Support

Scoop - Opel Insignia sighted on test

Scoop - Opel Insignia sighted on test-insign.jpg

Clicked this outside ITPL, where GM's validation centre is. Considering the badges were not stickered up, it may be merely a validation vehicle for various tests.

This is a basic bare bones spec. The ones I seee in Europe and China are usually a little more bling with alloys etc
Old 20th September 2010, 16:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a properly registered car as well. Could be some GM official's car!?
Old 20th September 2010, 16:15   #3
BHPian

Seems unlikely that GM may revive the Opel brand in India after consciously deciding to kill the brand here.
Opel got synonymous with "costly to own and expensive to maintain" badge.

As you rightly say, it might be here for some testing.
Even more convincing --> It might have been imported for some company official as is done in the case of Toyota's and Honda's too!

Edit: @ Anachronix. +1 to what you posted while I was typing
Old 20th September 2010, 17:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

I spotted this car in baroda about 3-4 weeks ago. for once i thought its a pimped up Vectra ( i know its stupid of me). Got stuck in traffic and hence couldnt follow it or click pics. It was followed by 2 X white cruze; out of which one had a "ON TEST" red and white sticker and another was a GJ17 registered car. Both the Cruze had various monitors and on board computers connected so i assume both were on some sort of tests. Could be Petrol Test Mules. Not sure, just assuming.

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 20th September 2010 at 17:04. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 20th September 2010, 17:02   #5
BHPian

+1
But, is a test mule tested on roads with proper registration and without any camouflage ?
Old 20th September 2010, 17:35   #6
BHPian

^^^^ Sometimes it is done to ward off unwanted attention. People are likely to assume a clean vehicle as just another phoren gaadi!!

ofcourse that doesnt fool Team-BHPians
Old 20th September 2010, 17:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
^^^^ Sometimes it is done to ward off unwanted attention. People are likely to assume a clean vehicle as just another phoren gaadi!!

ofcourse that doesnt fool Team-BHPians
Totally agree with you there. If it was covered and all i would have paid more attention to it, but then once i got closer to the car i realised its some thing else and not a pimped up vectra. I had spotted Cruze & Beat in Baroda / Ahmedabad doing test drives before they were launched. Not many people would bother and let it pass as "just another car"
Old 20th September 2010, 18:01   #8
BHPian

Registered cars with onboard computers mean a homologation test. They are collecting data on Indian driving conditions.
Old 20th September 2010, 18:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Both the Cruze had various monitors and on board computers connected so i assume both were on some sort of tests. Could be Petrol Test Mules. Not sure, just assuming.
The Petrol Cruze is here. Linky to the thread..

AFAIK, the Insignia has the GM Family 1 engine. The 2.0 litre engine produces close to 200hp, which may be aimed for the Laura 1.8 TSi..

Or this may be just to take the attention away from the Petrol Cruze being tested.

Last edited by Cartman : 20th September 2010 at 18:59. Reason: Error in link. Fixed it.
Old 21st September 2010, 07:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

The Opel /Vauxhall Insignia which was the replacement for the Vectra has done really well in Europe. May be its for testing purposes as bringing the vehicle doesn't make sense for it will cannibalise the Cruze sales.
Old 21st September 2010, 12:26   #11
BHPian

I've seen higher-spec GM brand cars in and around Baroda since their factory is at Halol. These were mostly used by GM top management for their daily run-about. Am speculating this could one of those for the GM Bangalore management...?
Old 21st September 2010, 12:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

The Insignia platform is being re-used and shared extensively within GM. It forms the under-pinnings for many a model. Which makes me wonder whether GM is now thinking of introducing a new model based on this platform?

It will, in all probability, not be badged Opel at all. Is GM thinking of "doing a Lexus" with the Buick badge - which is already being done in China? After all, GM India is almost 50% Chinese (SAIC).
Old 22nd September 2010, 07:20   #13
BHPian

It looks like the Buick Regal to me.
Old 22nd September 2010, 09:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
It looks like the Buick Regal to me.
Very astute observation, the new Buick Regal is the Opel Insignia. See Buick Regal Research All Models and Prices - MSN Autos for more details.
Old 22nd September 2010, 10:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post

AFAIK, the Insignia has the GM Family 1 engine. The 2.0 litre engine produces close to 200hp, which may be aimed for the Laura 1.8 TSi..

Or this may be just to take the attention away from the Petrol Cruze being tested.

I saw the same car today at Silkboard junction.It is a basic version without alloys fog lamps etc.It is a diesel version.It was having 'CDTI' badging. There was also a White Beat along with it, which had no badging like LT,LS etc so it might be the diesel Beat undergoing testing.Will upload the pics later taken from my phone.

Last edited by stable rock : 22nd September 2010 at 10:50.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks