Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2010, 22:55   #136
BHPian

[quote=DicKy;2027693]

@mihirC, i don't know if this had been said before in the thread,but still how is the seating position. No doubt about the comfort,but what about the seat height?
Is it Safari-high or innova,endy car-like seating position.

Well i havent sat in endy so cant comment on that but its definitely not safari like which has a very good under thigh support, and its not as low as innova either, its somewhere in the middle.

Last edited by MihirC : 15th August 2010 at 22:57.
Old 15th August 2010, 23:58   #137
BHPian

Dear flyingspur, I was reacting to some of the comments made by the other members, I pretty much agree with most of the review but for the first part where it sounded slightly negative and biased to me.Lets say, to be more specific, the first para.

Please don't take my comments personally, I did'nt mean it as a personal attack and hence have stated so at the bottom of my message. About comparison with the 320d, well I guess it happened somewhere.

I agree myself with the couple of issues with the Aria, but the kind of Tata bashing that happens on every thread for no good reason was too much to take.It's like someone's waiting for a reason to bash them.No one else puts in so much of thought and engineering and testing.I don't need to say who, going through the thread is enough. And in any ways,the market will decide and there are many good vehicles which did not succeed for their own reasons. Let's see what happens. I do envy you for having got the chance to test this one , though
Old 16th August 2010, 00:25   #138
BHPian

It would be tough for TML to compete in the market if ARIA is paired against Innova directly in INDIA. From a costing standpoint, they will do very well to position ARIA variants from Innova to Innova + 2 lakhs. But to truly compete with Innova and XYLO probably TATA needs to (re-)launch Sumo Grande MK-III with ARIA(ish) interiors, gearbox, airbags, ABS with some improvements in handing.

However, things improve a LOT if you compare the export market. I find ARIA is targeted exactly towards TOYOTA verso. Comparing VERSO and ARIA, I would say that it is a very good effort from TML. They can definitely improve ARIA over next one or two iterations and I have no doubt that it will be on par with VERSO. Now VERSO ranges from GBP16,xxx to GBP23,xxx and ARIA can definitely be positioned a good 3k-3.5k below the top end VERSO.

Here is a link to VERSO - MPV - Toyota Verso MPV
Old 16th August 2010, 00:30   #139
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me or does it seem like the Aria has taken some design cues from the CR-V (rear quarterglass) and Innova/Fusion (middle row windows)?

Regards,
spadix
Old 16th August 2010, 00:59   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like the Aria has taken some design cues from the CR-V (rear quarterglass) and Innova/Fusion (middle row windows)?

Regards,
spadix
ARIA has taken some design cues from R-Class. When ARIA was revealed as a concept at the Genava auto show at 2005 (i think) CR-V looked much different and I don't know how Innova looked at that time. Nevertheless it is safe to say that ARIA did not take any design cue from either CR-V or Innova.
Old 16th August 2010, 11:30   #141
Senior - BHPian

I am sure Tata will surprise us all with the Pricing. They did same with Vista & Manza. When i saw Manza i was quite impressed with the pricing. Base petrol model was 5.5 Lacs OTR with lots of goodies like front two power windows, HVAC, P-Steering, Tape, Adjustible steeing, manual central lock etc. I guess Tata will mainly target Innova only. Then only they will be able to do well in numbers. So expect a killer pricing from Tata. I guess it will be around 10 - 12.5 Lacs. Lets keep fingers crossed
Old 16th August 2010, 13:41   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibu View Post
FS...was the GB 5 or 6 speed. If it was 6 speed then the engine would be tuned for 170PS.
Five speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Hi guys, reading all the post i realised some of you wanted to have a look at the pics of all the rows so today evening i made it a point to go to Concorde motors Prabhadevi to take some of the Aria.
Thanks for the pics Mihir. Why don't you go there while they're working, their market research might still be on. And yes, I'm familiar with their showroom which is why I entered through the back after leaving our car behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Those pics make it seem really impressive, I must say. In terms of quality.
It is

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
And the space behind the 3rd row seats seems too good to be wasted like that.
Agreed about the luggage space bit,but still they could have come up with some kinda sliding seat mechanism or made the leg room a little less compromised.
The middle row does slide for and aft, I've mentioned before. THis might contribute to third row legroom.

Quote:
but still how is the seating position. No doubt about the comfort,but what about the seat height?
As Mihir rightly stated, between the Safari and the Innova. But satisfactorily car-like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like the Aria has taken some design cues from the CR-V...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
ARIA has taken some design cues from R-Class. When ARIA was revealed as a concept at the Genava auto show at 2005 (i think) CR-V looked much different and I don't know how Innova looked at that time. Nevertheless it is safe to say that ARIA did not take any design cue from either CR-V or Innova.
Whethr it has or not, the window line from the side resembles the CR-V a lot. And this design aids in visibility for the driver while backing up.
Old 16th August 2010, 14:31   #143
BHPian

@ Flyingspur- I wanted to go in the afternoon but tooooo lazy to get out on a sunday afternoon.The back office staff was there though. I just spoke to concorde about having the Aria for a TD and they said no till its officially launched. Weirdly they were pronouncing it as AA-Ria, maybe thats how its pronounced.
Old 16th August 2010, 17:12   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

@MihirC
err.. off topic but how is it really spell.
I say it as 'AARYA' just like how we spell arya. Feels more indian.
But my friend says it like 'ARIYA'.
What's the real pronounciation?

Last edited by DicKy : 16th August 2010 at 17:13.
Old 16th August 2010, 20:36   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
They were collecting some market feedback.
That's absolutely true. One of my friend visited Tata motors manufacturing facility and happen to check out Aria and its assembly line.
He said, "TATA has manufactured limited number of Aria's which they will use to get market feedback. They will start production only after this exercise is complete. TATA is struggling to keep Aria's price below 14 Lakh"
Old 16th August 2010, 20:47   #146
Senior - BHPian

What's at the end of the tip of hand rests in pix and on the RHS of last seat row (some box) ?
Old 16th August 2010, 22:21   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Me thinking it must be the button for adjusting the armrests.
And the box on the last row? hmmm... Some storage space i guess.
Old 17th August 2010, 12:47   #148
Senior - BHPian

There's an article in Today's ET that says Aria would be launched in September.

Quote:
The passenger car business, is launching the Aria, a crossover vehicle, in September
source: Tata Motors rejigs top tier of car business - Automobiles - Auto - News By Industry - News - The Economic Times
Old 17th August 2010, 13:59   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
What's at the end of the tip of hand rests in pix and on the RHS of last seat row (some box) ?
Thats to adjust the armrests at a particular position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
TATA is struggling to keep Aria's price below 14 Lakh"
An ex-showroom of 14L is not good news, according to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
There's an article in Today's ET that says Aria would be launched in September.
That's what i was told too.
Old 18th August 2010, 12:42   #150
Senior - BHPian

We drove to Concorde Prabhadevi yesterday to TD Safari. And we were delighted to see 2 maroon Tata Aria parked right at their doorstep on the road. Having following it for quite some time and read all the reviews and comments here, we were quite curious to check it out.

I couldn't resist but park my Innova right behind one and have a peek at it first.

I will be attaching my snaps of Aria in the later posts. Meanwhile, you guys can have a look at the pics on my link here Picasa Web Albums - Parsh - Tata Aria - F....

On enquiring about it in the office, we were told that these are purely samples from the company to get feedback from the mag/reviewers etc and not available for TD and the company people are inviting people to have TD and get theri feedback before launch. However, they readily agreed let us have a look at it.

First impressions of Aria were definitely good and it seems to have a good stance on road.

I turned on the engine and it purred like a cat. The cabin was quite noiseless and very much comparable to Innova in quiteness, especially the feeling as I have been driving Innova so long. Even with the door open the noise didnt seem to be much with raised accelerator.

The seating was quite apt and high quality and the interiors too looked quite upmarket which was quite a surprise having seen Tata cars. Wish they do that to Safari.

Unfortunately I could not get a good side snap at it due to the Prabhadevi road traffic and neither a shot in comparison to my Innova. I would have loved to have a snap of them side-by-side to see how they fare with each other, dimensionwise and lookwise.

I will share more details with the pics later. However, I will like to share and ask some feedback on our new purchase right now.

The executive told us Aria will be mostly launched in the range of 15L and to compete with the higher end SUVs.

We are planning to buy a new vehicle in the family, either Safari, Innova or any comparable one. We have actually booked for Innova GX and expecting a delivery confirmation soon and mostly to happen by end of August.

However, we were contemplating if Aria would at all come in the space of Innova. If it does, it would certainly kill Innova market. That is how Tata seem to have built it. But the built doesnt look like (and as the executives are also saying) pitched at this market but at higher ups of CR-V, endeavour etc.

Your feedback is welcome on what should we do? SHould we hold back the order and wait for Aria to be launched and check its pricing and then decide? Aria at the projected price is certainly off-limits for us.

In my heart, I would love to go for Safari but they are likely to launch new Safari next year.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks