Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2010, 21:22   #481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post

Well I see Aria as a great VFM with what it offers, AWD, Airbags, ABS etc standard across all segments is what we are talking of, thats giving importance to the utmost neccessities of a car today.

Well I welcome Aria and kudos to TML for this effort.
You forgot disc brakes on all wheels.
Even some premium SUVs and most MPVs don't have the same.
Old 11th October 2010, 21:22   #482
Distinguished - BHPian

The final pricing is with in the expected range. What remains to be seen is how well the premium car buyers accept the Aria at this price point, which is above it's closest competitor- the Innova. Obviously it has the advantage of being loaded to the brim with the features but the MUV might not be popular for SUVs. It all remains to be seen.

Personally i am very curious to see the reviews and sales figures.
Old 11th October 2010, 21:24   #483
Senior - BHPian

Great stuff. I like the pricing.
Would have loved a chunkier front in the form of more pronounced edges on the bonnet.

Uncharted territory though, lets see how the markets react.
Exciting stuff guys!

PS: Are variant specific feature lists available?

Quote:
A car as powerful and graceful as the Aria, needs two exhausts, to handle its muscle and finesse.

Last edited by EssYouWe : 11th October 2010 at 21:26.
Old 11th October 2010, 21:27   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
So, then what was it meant to kill if at all? CRV, Captiva, Fortuner? Now, I think we should really start comparing the Aria against these and make a choice if we would settle to buy the Aria if one were looking for a vehicle in that price bracket.
I don't think we can compare against any of these.

Chevrolet Captiva - starts at 17.96 lakhs
Ford Endeavour - starts at 16.35 lakhs
Honda CR-V - starts at 22.20 lakhs
Mitsubishi Outlander - starts at 20.25 lakhs
Mitsubishi Pajero - starts at 20.46 lakhs
Nissan X-Trail - starts at 21.74 lakhs
Toyota Fortuner - starts at 19.35 lakhs

All the prices are in Delhi. Many of these base variants do not have equipments near to the Aria.

Its obvious that the Tata Aria has found a very sweet pricing spot. Very clever pricing!

Last edited by Trapezio : 11th October 2010 at 21:32.
Trapezio is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2010, 21:29   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
.... But WHY O WHY did it have to look like an MUV (VAN)

If it was a new SUV platform, with same features....
That means...the next Safari will feature all these gizmodom IMO. So those who want to buy a SUV with 6 airbags and GPS can buy the Safari, and those who are looking for a MUV with the gizmos plus a 4x4 can go for the Aria.

My 2c.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post

PS: Are variant specific feature lists available?
See screen capture from the brochure.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Aria : Driving Impressions. EDIT : FULL specs, features & variants on page 18-capture.gif  

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 11th October 2010 at 21:36.
Old 11th October 2010, 21:30   #486
Senior - BHPian

I think it gives a good alternative for the chauffeur driven family who have a 15 lakh budget and at the moment is restricted to the sedans or the SUVs. When they priced it above 12 lakhs ex showroom, they did not have the Innova as competitor in mind for sure. Like listed above, its the SUVs and premium sedans that are the target. Imagine a family of 4 who are chauffeured around, the Aria would make a lot of sense to them.
Old 11th October 2010, 21:35   #487
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Damn, the fully loaded variant works out to 17 lakhs on the road in Mumbai! Bangalore would be in the range of 19 lakhs. IMHO, that's over optimistic pricing by Tata. Sure, it has all the bells & whistles you can ask for. But I'm the kind of guy who isn't blinded by gizmos. This is a LOT of money for the Aria...the MPV still has its own share of rough edges.
Old 11th October 2010, 21:42   #488
Senior - BHPian

Though the price does seems a bit on the higher side, I am quite impressed with the features it offers. Driver and passenger airbags ABS EBD and all disc brakes even on the entry level model is what impressed me. Those who have driven it will surely know better about the car.

I dont think Toyota is a worried lot just yet.
Old 11th October 2010, 21:45   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
I really think we have been forever talking about the Aria as an Innova-killer, but the pricing makes it very clear - it is not going to kill the Innova. So, then what was it meant to kill if at all? CRV, Captiva, Fortuner? Now, I think we should really start comparing the Aria against these and make a choice if we would settle to buy the Aria if one were looking for a vehicle in that price bracket.
I agree, ARIA is definitely not competing directly with Innova. But technically those who want to upgrade from an Innova could surely consider the ARIA. Still, I am not happy that ARIA does not do better than Innova in ride and handling. However at this pricepoint, I am not sure if ARIA could be really called VFM.

However, I guess all those who buy the captivas, fortuners and other expensive 7-8 seaters just for people moving and probably some social status of owning an expensive car could also consider ARIA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
I am not sure this is the wisest decision Tata has made... I mean someone has got their story wrong this product. Why?

A) Tata's are associated with *vfm* or *light* on the pocket cars
B) Tata's are known for their frugal engineering
C) A 10 lakh+ category buyer not *often* considers Tata
D) There is a niggling quality problem *conception* about Tata
E) So they came out with a lifestyle product that costs more than Toyota, 12 lakh plus, understand it gives gizmos, technology and what not..... But WHY O WHY did it have to look like an MUV (VAN)

If it was a new SUV platform, with same features, butch looks and same price, I could have agreed. You would have a cheapter Captiva, Fortunner alternative.

But now it just leaves you confused, you have a costlier than competition VAN with more SUV like features??? Any takes??? Not me and time will tell.

Mahindra for one have gone the SUV route with their world SUV product.
I don't necessarily agree that VAN/MUV look needs lower pricing than SUV looks. IMO everything depends on how well the vehicle is engineered and manufactured. Apart from the looks ARIA competes well with the competitors you have mentioned.

But I do feel that ARIA is not VFM at this price point. So it is to be seen if Indian car buying public are ready to receive this luxury offering from TML at this price..
Old 11th October 2010, 21:48   #490
Senior - BHPian

IMO, the base variant makes an excellent case for itself. It has practically all the essential things I might require. I do wonder who would want to go in for the top end. It is extremely pricey and that too just for a lot of gizmos.
But still, great job bringing in every gimmick in their bins.

@Sandeep
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
the MPV still has its own share of rough edges.
Now that just ain't fair. Let us in on the dirt too!
Old 11th October 2010, 21:49   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Damn, the fully loaded variant works out to 17 lakhs on the road in Mumbai! Bangalore would be in the range of 19 lakhs. IMHO, that's over optimistic pricing by Tata. Sure, it has all the bells & whistles you can ask for. But I'm the kind of guy who isn't blinded by gizmos. This is a LOT of money for the Aria...the MPV still has its own share of rough edges.
I share your opinion. At that price point, aria will need to be really bullet proof in terms of reliability. and as i said earlier, indicab-less service bays are most essential!
Old 11th October 2010, 21:52   #492
Senior - BHPian

Someone has to start somewhere.Many people have had reservations against Tata trying their hand at selling something above 10 lakhs and competing against heavywieghts like Toyota.But i feel Tata has come of age to dispel its earlier image of frugal and cheap cars.You cannot forever be stuck at a same segment of the market.

Kudos to Tata,for bringing out most importantly such a vastly improved product that can stand up agaisnt the best the others can offer.And thats saying a lot from a mufacturer who used to be associated with trucks just a decade back.
Old 11th October 2010, 21:57   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
... But technically those who want to upgrade from an Innova could surely consider the ARIA. Still, I am not happy that ARIA does not do better than Innova in ride and handling. However at this pricepoint, I am not sure if ARIA could be really called VFM.
How are you so sure that ARIA does not do better than Innova in ride & handling ? You think that way OR you know it doesn't ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
But I do feel that ARIA is not VFM at this price point. So it is to be seen if Indian car buying public are ready to receive this luxury offering from TML at this price..
According to me, the definition of VFM is always relative to other products with the same feature set, hence, it is definitely VFM. No doubt about it. Few may define "VFM" as below 5L or 8L or 10L which I think its not right.

If Indian car buying public are/were ready to buy luxury offering from Japanese/German makers, but NOT from Tata Motors, then, I think, its the mind set of the people that has to change, NOT the pricing of Indian company.

I think, we are talking about this pricing for a long time and its definitely not right to expect a very low pricing just because its from Indian brand and its OK for Honda or Toyota to price up higher for the same/similar feature set.

Prem.
Old 11th October 2010, 22:02   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
That means...the next Safari will feature all these gizmodom IMO. So those who want to buy a SUV with 6 airbags and GPS can buy the Safari, and those who are looking for a MUV with the gizmos plus a 4x4 can go for the Aria.

See screen capture from the brochure.
So, 12+ lakhs for a vehicle with a 5 year old engine and steelies.
As much as I love Tata Motors and want their success, I will be very surprised if this sells at a rate of more than a thousand a month.

Personally, I was hoping that they would manage to keep the base price unser 10 lakhs and top out at 12 lakhs.

All the other "imported SUVs" in the market are mostly CBUs and can easily drop 30% in price if they go the SKD route (provided the ARIA is successful and enlarges the market). Where will the ARIA stand when compared to those then.

I was rooting for you Tata Motors. Sucess (as a segment leader) looks purty bleak now.

Mahindra. Your turn.
Old 11th October 2010, 22:03   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
How are you so sure that ARIA does not do better than Innova in ride & handling ? You think that way OR you know it doesn't ?
Correction:
It is more to do with handling I guess. Review by flying spur at the beginning of this thread and reviews in ACI and BSM also tell a similar story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
According to me, the definition of VFM is always relative to other products with the same feature set, hence, it is definitely VFM. No doubt about it. Few may define "VFM" as below 5L or 8L or 10L which I think its not right.

If Indian car buying public are/were ready to buy luxury offering from Japanese/German makers, but NOT from Tata Motors, then, I think, its the mind set of the people that has to change, NOT the pricing of Indian company.

I think, we are talking about this pricing for a long time and its definitely not right to expect a very low pricing just because its from Indian brand and its OK for Honda or Toyota to price up higher for the same/similar feature set.
Prem.
I agree that VFM should technically based on "what we get for the money and then compare with competition".

However, consdering price points > 15 lakhs, I am not sure folks will be interested in VFM. I would like to think majority of folks who could spend more then 15 lakhs will buy what they want and not necessarily look for bargain or VFM.

Last edited by gshanky : 11th October 2010 at 22:23.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks