Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2010, 10:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

FS in all likelihood you drove the AWD model. In teh auto expo, ony the AWD models had flared wheel arches, which are present on the car you drove as well.
Old 12th August 2010, 11:01   #32
BHPian

Aria has a sliding middle seat, so maybe the reason for the lack of legroom in the third row was due the middle row being pushed all the way back
Old 12th August 2010, 11:04   #33
BHPian

Great first hand review - thanks for sharing this. I hope they price it properly. At 18 lakhs, it would be good work wasted down the drain. I'm quite ok with the looks, quite happy with interiors and the reasonable engine. But 18 L ?! Whom are we kidding ? Dont think a lot of us will plonk that kind of money on this vehicle !
Old 12th August 2010, 11:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
FS in all likelihood you drove the AWD model. In teh auto expo, ony the AWD models had flared wheel arches, which are present on the car you drove as well.
Could be so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Aria has a sliding middle seat, so maybe the reason for the lack of legroom in the third row was due the middle row being pushed all the way back
Yes, but when I got in the back I was trying to adjust it around, and there wasn't much travel. Hence, I have my doubts on how much space there will actually be in the third row, even at maximum.
Old 12th August 2010, 11:13   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Could be so.

Yes, but when I got in the back I was trying to adjust it around, and there wasn't much travel. Hence, I have my doubts on how much space there will actually be in the third row, even at maximum.

I suppose it can safely be said that the 3rd row would be good enough for a couple of average sized kids ??? eh ?
Old 12th August 2010, 11:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

They should place it just above Innova. I dont like the looks of this though.
Old 12th August 2010, 11:51   #37
Senior - BHPian

Great review FS! Thanks.

It looks like a good offering. I doubt many people will pay 13+ for a Tata MUV. Lets see how things move for them.

Glad to see them work on quality!
Old 12th August 2010, 11:55   #38
Senior - BHPian

Saw the Aria being testing in some back roads of TN. There were 4 in total, and boy were they fast. They were pulling away to speeds in excess of 140-150. Had good road presence.

They were so fast that I could not even manage to get picture clicked!
Old 12th August 2010, 12:05   #39
BHPian

Finally a credible alternative to the Mighty Innova. If Tata gets their act right and manages to price the Aria right (which so far they have been) and not use the initial customers as guinea pigs, i think Tata Might have a winner on their hands.
Considering the fact that the engine is a tried and tested model and simply the long time in testing and development in the Aria, lets hope it is not a half baked attempt to just enter into the segment and then learn the hard way.
I hope tata has realized that the Indian consumer no longer just believes in the chalta hai attitude. If you build a poor product and get away with it in any sense be it price ( Honda Jazz Case point) or quality the consumer with reject it instantly.

On a brighter note looks like tata has done a good job on the Aria, and could really iron out the kinks then innova has something to worry about
Old 12th August 2010, 12:10   #40
Senior - BHPian

Nice report flyingspur but am sure i wont spend 18lacs for this vehicle, i guess TATA has completely messed up with the pricing?
Old 12th August 2010, 12:15   #41
BHPian

A very nice review Flying Spur. I would have loved to see the 3rd row though. BTW, how much luggage space did it have behind the 3rd row seats? You mentioned about Xylo having comfortable 3rd row seats (agree) but Xylo has non-existent luggage space. Let us all hope that Tata takes your feedback very seriously. Lack of a dead pedal is a deal breaker for me in vehicles of this class.
Old 12th August 2010, 12:20   #42
Team-BHP Support

Flyingspur, a few questions & comments -

- How does the steering feel at lower speeds and normal highway speeds? (100 kmph, not 140 kmph!) Light, medium or heavy? I have driven the Vista, Manza and the Safari - so if possible, compare the steering feel of the Aria with other Tata vehicles.

- I hope you mentioned the uselessness of the roof mounted aircraft-style storage boxes too in the feedback form. And I hope you asked them to replace it with a large sunroof (similarly useless, but a lot cooler!).

- No dead pedal means immediate elimination from my "buy list".

- Civic type wipers offer better visibility under rainy conditions - the wiper clears out the raindrops from top right hand side of the windscreen (which the normal windscreen is unable to).

- Are the dashboard/door plastics soft-touch?
Old 12th August 2010, 12:21   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
I suppose it can safely be said that the 3rd row would be good enough for a couple of average sized kids ??? eh ?
At maximum, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
They should place it just above Innova. I dont like the looks of this though.
It will grow on you, maybe. I wouldn't say it's a bad looking car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Great review FS! Thanks.

It looks like a good offering. I doubt many people will pay 13+ for a Tata MUV. Lets see how things move for them.
Thanks. 13, I would definitely pay. Not 15+ though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Saw the Aria being testing in some back roads of TN. There were 4 in total, and boy were they fast. They were pulling away to speeds in excess of 140-150. Had good road presence.
I did not have much trouble getting to 140.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthdeb View Post
On a brighter note looks like tata has done a good job on the Aria, and could really iron out the kinks then innova has something to worry about
That sums it up nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Nice report flyingspur but am sure i wont spend 18lacs for this vehicle, i guess TATA has completely messed up with the pricing?
Thank you. They haven't officially declared the pricing. One thing's for sure, I know I will be shocked either way, 13 or 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
You mentioned about Xylo having comfortable 3rd row seats (agree) but Xylo has non-existent luggage space.
The Aria has decent luggage space, and that gets expanded to generous levels when the third row is folded down flat.
Old 12th August 2010, 12:24   #44
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review there.

Even though the front looks futuristic, the sides and back are a big let down. But then in this segment, its the functionality rather than looks that matter and from your review, they seem to have got that spot on more or less.

But the crucial make or break will be the pricing. Let's hope they get it right to compete with the Xylo.
Old 12th August 2010, 12:26   #45
Senior - BHPian

Very nice review, its good that TATA is taking pre-launch TD feedback on ARIA and will hopefully work on it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks