Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2010, 13:29   #61
BHPian

The car does look fabulous but the front surely does remind me of the Manza. Would have liked it better if the front was a completely new design. However, the product does look very good from the pictures and the quick TD review. Pricing is going to be key for the success of this car.
Old 12th August 2010, 13:30   #62
Senior - BHPian

@ rajeshsundaram / kavesh : Thanks. Kavesh, please add your experiences and opinions in a post here, so that we can have a second opinion on the vehicle. Do you agree with all that I have observed? If have any conflicting observations, then it would be good to have a different perspective.

@ KRf1 : You will be very impressed with this effort from Tata. All this needs, is one look by a prospective buyer. It will provide a compelling argument in favour of itself. As long as they fix the damn clutch.

@ Superboy44 : Thanks. According to Sid's pricing, they are pricing it quite well.

@ Crazy4power : We had gone to check out the Safari for my cousin. He was looking at the LX model, and that was the one on display. Now the LX doesn't have height adjustment (does it?) My cousin slipped into the drivers seat and was horrified. I asked him what the matter was, he said "come see for yourself" so I got into the driver's seat. And somehow, the driving position was pathetic. My legs were too big and the steering - even on the highest position - was fouling with my legs, and my cousins too. Three minutes was enough for us to decide against the Safari LX (not looking at the EX).
Old 12th August 2010, 13:41   #63
Team-BHP Support

So the summary: Nowhere close to Innova. Is that right?

Is it a fair conclusion?
Old 12th August 2010, 14:03   #64
BHPian

Base version ARIA at 9.75 lakhs will be felt on the higer side.

Fit and finish improvement alone cannot demand high price.
Anyways what features base version will sport is yet to be known.

If TATA from ARIA decides to incorporate alloy wheels, ABS and front 2 airbags as standard fitment @ 9.75 lakhs price tag then it is a good move.
Old 12th August 2010, 14:03   #65
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

ampere - by nowhere close to innova - you mean that the Aria is much better, right?
Old 12th August 2010, 14:07   #66
BHPian

This (speculation or any inside-info ?) 11 - 13 Lakh is EX-Showroom ? If its EX-showroom, it (13L) will land around 15-16L in Bangalore which is very reasonable for Aria considering all the features they have included.
We need to come out of the myth "I wont pay 15+ L for a Tata vehicle".

First of all, IMHO, we shouldnt be comparing Aria with Innova just bcoz it's of similar size.
From the pricing perspective, Innova lands b/w 14-14.5L in Bangalore (almost a similar landing cost of Safari VX 4X4). So, Aria is clearly more than Innova and which IMO, its the right way to do so.

Come on, lets accept that Tata has come out with a "Crossover" segment instead of trying to brand this as an MUV like Innova or Xylo.

Prem.
Old 12th August 2010, 14:12   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Aye! BTW no one carried Team-BHP plates to a review They're painstakingly PS'd by our hardworking chaps.
Are you serious! Good Job, I always wondered about the effort of fitting and removing em. :P Pretty silly of me, cos now it seems kinda obvious (hindsight!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
Anyways what features base version will sport is yet to be known.
If TATA from ARIA decides to incorporate alloy wheels, ABS and front 2 airbags as standard fitment @ 9.75 lakhs price tag then it is a good move.
Yeah, right. Because All Innovas come with these features?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
ampere - by nowhere close to innova - you mean that the Aria is much better, right?
+1
FS has stated pretty clearly: Aria over Innova (barring some obscene pricing).
Old 12th August 2010, 14:23   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Aria over Innova (barring some obscene pricing).
+1 to this as well, from my side.

A suggestion to the TATA group, if they are reading this : The 3rd row seat must get pushed back by a couple of inches to release some legroom. I know this will eat into the generous boot space, but then there has to be an optimisation on this
Old 12th August 2010, 14:23   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
So the summary: Nowhere close to Innova. Is that right?
To put things clearly, I think the Aria is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post

Not at all. The car deserves this price. In fact, its good pricing for what it is.

IMO of course it can. The CE and the i20 were both decisions mainly governed by quality and utility.

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention this. Surveyor mentioned alloys (same as in my pictures) standard across all variants. And this was NOT the top-end, claimed she, because the in-dash GPS module was absent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
We need to come out of the myth "I wont pay 15+ L for a Tata vehicle".
+1.

Quote:
Come on, lets accept that Tata has come out with a "Crossover" segment instead of trying to brand this as an MUV like Innova or Xylo.
My take on this : lets not kid ourselves. It's meant to be an MUV and not really an SUV. No offence meant, Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Are you serious! Good Job, I always wondered about the effort of fitting and removing em. :P Pretty silly of me, cos now it seems kinda obvious (hindsight!).
To be honest, in the beginning I wondered too. My doubts were laid to rest while I was doing the 330i review with Rehaan.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 12th August 2010 at 14:25.
Old 12th August 2010, 15:22   #70
Senior - BHPian

I caught the Aria yesterday, going towards Sion from Dadar - the same Maroon shade. Heavy traffic meant I got only 2 shots.

Tata Aria : Driving Impressions. EDIT : FULL specs, features & variants on page 18-img00033201008112043.jpg

Tata Aria : Driving Impressions. EDIT : FULL specs, features & variants on page 18-img00034201008112044.jpg

The rear looked Captiva inspired. The seating position is way up there - sufficient GC too. I would have preferred bigger wheels though, this is a 225 width I feel.

Fit and finish looked on par for the segment, nothing exceptional but a step ahead for TATA. It drove quiet efficiently and pulled cleanly too.

In the pictures posted above, you can see how TATA has played with the twin exhausts. The tail pipes are those thin OE ones we get with our cars, TATA has created 2 huge holes in the bumper (giving us a mean machine rear end look) and lined them with chrome while the tail pipe ends way inside the hole

Last edited by normally_crazy : 12th August 2010 at 15:25.
Old 12th August 2010, 17:43   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
@ Crazy4power : We had gone to check out the Safari for my cousin. He was looking at the LX model, and that was the one on display. Now the LX doesn't have height adjustment (does it?) My cousin slipped into the drivers seat and was horrified. I asked him what the matter was, he said "come see for yourself" so I got into the driver's seat. And somehow, the driving position was pathetic. My legs were too big and the steering - even on the highest position - was fouling with my legs, and my cousins too. Three minutes was enough for us to decide against the Safari LX (not looking at the EX).
@Flyingspur: My experience exactly! but then I was not looking for buying one, so I ignored the feeling.

Superb review, man!
Old 12th August 2010, 18:37   #72
BANNED

Very good initial review. Just one question from me. How is the build quality compared to Innova? I always feel that TATA Motors compromise on that.
Old 12th August 2010, 19:25   #73
BHPian

@FS
Great review. Thanks providing something that was long wanted and expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The pricing will be between 11-13 lakhs. At the max 13.5.
If this is correct, then this is even better than the review itself!

Quote:
So, TATA have come to understand that if they have to beat Innova or any product from a competitor of better reputation, then offer more goodies with comparable pricepoint.

Also one has to agree that TATA has been improving slowly but surely in build, refinement and handling.
If the top end were to be priced around 13.5 L, then it proves that Safari has been overpriced for long. Damn...
Old 12th August 2010, 20:38   #74
Senior - BHPian

Innova vs Aria

Innova vs Aria :

I drove an Innova today around Bandra for about half an hour, just to get some perspective on all that I've said. Did this because it's been a couple of months since I last drove the Innova. To answer all questions in this regard, let me summarize my thoughts.

Build Quality : Aria slightly edges ahead.

Ride : Aria slightly ahead.

Handling : Innova ahead by a good margin, because of the balance and relatively less body roll, bouncy feeling from the suspension. It feels closer to a sedan than the Aria.

Refinement : I would have to say, Aria edges ahead. Very well damped, and NVH levels are lower in Aria so it takes this one.

Driving comfort : I would have to say Innova, but only because of a broader footwell (no dead pedal in Innova either but atleast there's space for my feet !!), and a longer gear shifter (I had mentioned in my review that the Aria's shifter is a tad short and a stretch).

Visibility : All round visibility in the Aria is definitely better because of the unusual design of the third row windows.

Seating comfort : First two rows, Aria. Third row, Innova.

@ Roadracer : Aria's build quality will leave you pleasantly surprised in terms of fit and finish, and panel gaps. I have always seen compromise on the part of Toyota with the pre-Altis Corolla and the Innova.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 12th August 2010 at 20:40.
Old 12th August 2010, 21:18   #75
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the review. Hope they do price it well and that it comes with a good warranty package.

If FS who drives a i20 felt the quality of plastics as good and the fit 'n' finish, well,kudos to Tata.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed