Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2010, 21:23   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Innova vs Aria :

Ride : Aria slightly ahead.
The best part about Innova's ride is the composure, it feels composed at all speeds and never gets bouncy. But due to short suspension travel it lacks the absorbent feel at times.

Are you sure Aria does have a more composed ride? or were you talking about the absorbent nature with lumpiness, as seen in Safari.
Old 12th August 2010, 21:32   #77
Senior - BHPian

6 pages later, I guess I can appreciate the product more.

The initial inertia of not wanting to believe that Tata could offer *quality* interiors and build clouded my opinion.

It seems like a great softroader. Hopefully the bumpy ride isn't too bad. I usually drive a Scorpio, I guess I'll love the Aria's ride easily.
Old 12th August 2010, 21:33   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Innova vs Aria :

Refinement : I would have to say, Aria edges ahead. Very well damped, and NVH levels are lower in Aria so it takes this one.
I hope you are not talking about the engine refinement levels! I find Innova's engine much refined than 2.2 ltr in safari.
Old 12th August 2010, 21:50   #79
BHPian

Aria Aria everywhere. Guess this is a good way to have a prelaunch buzz. Is the noise really there or im feeling it because everything around. Nevertheless, my first impressions.

Quality- top class; first for a Tata

Space- Less in the front :
-Im 5.10 didnt have much space in the front seat.
-Handrest should have placed slightly away. Im thin and was feeling 'fit' between handrests on 2 sides.
Superb space in the back:
- Front seats pushed behind had space to sit crosslegged and more.
- Luggage space with rear seats folded is humungous.

NVH- Very silent and subdued. Forgot whether the vehicle was on or off on the signal.

Performance- Seems adequate with some scope for more. Today had a tough time to catch up with one with a 2004 Esteem on Worli Sea face. Jewel according to me was the high speed braking which was spot on for the vehicle size.
Ride is slightly top heavy, typical MUV like.

Features- Has the world to offer.

Pricing- Will be a killer, not sure about specifics.

Reliability- Tata needs to address this to have a winner.

Flying spur I hope it mostly in tandem. Today was the last day. Saw one going back.

Last edited by kavesh55 : 12th August 2010 at 21:52.
Old 12th August 2010, 21:55   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The best part about Innova's ride is the composure, it feels composed at all speeds and never gets bouncy. But due to short suspension travel it lacks the absorbent feel at times.
Exactly.

Quote:
Are you sure Aria does have a more composed ride? or were you talking about the absorbent nature with lumpiness, as seen in Safari.
I'm talking about how well it absorbs the bumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
I usually drive a Scorpio, I guess I'll love the Aria's ride easily.
Oh yes... no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
I hope you are not talking about the engine refinement levels! I find Innova's engine much refined than 2.2 ltr in safari.
My opinion is that the NVH and damping is superior in the Aria than in the Innova (proved further by my drive of the Innova today). The engine itself might be a little coarse.
Old 12th August 2010, 22:29   #81
BANNED

Flyingspur any idea of the pricing ?

Like you said ,why doesnt TATA come up with some other design for the Rear.
The same kind of boot chrome for Indigo,indigo manza and now Aria

TATA are you hearing?
Old 12th August 2010, 22:33   #82
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the detailed report, flyingspur

Seems like the Aria has more positives than negatives.
It's good to see the word 'Quality' used as positive for a Tata vehicle.
Hope Tata repeats the success of the Manza with the Aria.

Last edited by safari_lover : 12th August 2010 at 22:35.
Old 12th August 2010, 22:59   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Flyingspur any idea of the pricing ?
Sid mentions somewhere in the thread. 11-13.5 it seems. I have a difficult time believing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Thanks for the detailed report, flyingspur
No sweat.
Old 13th August 2010, 01:18   #84
BHPian

Nice review Akshay, esp given that it kinda pounced on you out of nowhere!

from your description, it seems like Tata have made another step forward in quality, but they are still perceived as a VFM (some people say "cheap") brand. Quality is their biggest problem.

I wouldn't worry about the pricing of the Aria. If anything Tata have shown us that they can price their vehicles very astutely and they are unlikely to break that trend with what will seem like their flagship vehicle taking over after the Manza.
Old 13th August 2010, 08:12   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
joshguy : .. why doesnt TATA come up with some other design for the Rear.
May be the same reason that Toyota comes up with the same design in the front of their cars. Look closely and you will find a pattern in the front looks of the Altis, the Camry, and even the Innova - even though two of these are cars and one is a MUV.
Old 13th August 2010, 08:36   #86
BANNED

Quote:

@ Roadracer : Aria's build quality will leave you pleasantly surprised in terms of fit and finish, and panel gaps. I have always seen compromise on the part of Toyota with the pre-Altis Corolla and the Innova.
I meant the quality of the exterior build i.e the steel. For e.g., if you compare Vista with i20 or Punto or even a Swift, you will know that the others have a very good exterior build compared with Vista. Similarly I would like to know as to how the exterior build matches up with Innova.
Old 13th August 2010, 08:46   #87
BHPian

excellent review buddy!
You have covered all the areas exceptionally well.
I feel TATA have a winner on their hands with this one
Old 13th August 2010, 09:14   #88
Senior - BHPian

Am 100 % sure the pricing is going to be 12-15 range. Any more and they are in for trouble. Moreover @ 18 lacs , considering future cost of ownership/reliability people will be more than willing to spend another 7 quids for a Captiva/Innova.

I had seen this car personally during Auto expo. Its fit a finish is nothing like Tata. Wishing them all the best. I just hope they get a sensible pricing done on this. I don't wish this product to fail like Sumo Grande putting it at a wrong pricing point.
Old 13th August 2010, 09:25   #89
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

flying spur, excellent review and equally nice replies to the queries from all.

Now for mine:

1) Compared to the Safari, Fortuner, Endy is the Aria driving position resonably commanding enough? Will the Ricks move out of the place. I know it would be more commanding than the Innova, but the Autoricks and car do not give way to an Innova the way they do to a Safari.

2) Fortuner has a decent braking distance but it's brakes do not inspire confidence and have been one of it's major flaws, how confidence inspiring are Aria brakes compared to the Innova, Safari, Fortuner, Endy, Captiva, Pajero - which ever you have prior experience with.

3) Did the Switch on light have lights for ESP, besides ABS, Airbags etc.

4) Did the display comprise a MID (Multi Information Display) which would indicate the fuel consumption / kms, specific trip auto start meters etc.

5) Any heated seats like the Laura, Superb etc.

7) Did the stearing adjust besides Tilt (up and down angles) also for Reach (come closer or further from the driver). i.e. Rake and Reach both?

8) the Horn Button - in the Centre?

9) Cruise Control by any chance? - I guess this one is a silly question expecially for a manual.

10) I too am a six footer and a heavy one at that, will the front seat take we well. The Safari TCIC works well for me, it has upright seats and the Endy, Innova have more longitudinal tilt car like seats, where the legs stretch far in front and one sits quite low. Found the stearing adjustment and hight adjustment in the Fortuner not to my liking and it kept me seated a bit too low even in the highest position. So is the Aria seating position a bit like the Safari or totally Innovaish?

11) Tyretronics - Warnings for tyre pressure going down? Scropio has it now and am used to it having had it on the Laura. It is now a compulsary feature for the new cars in America. Does the Aria have this?

12) CD - Singe or 6 CD changer?

13) USB, Ipod connectors on the music system.

14) Side Step required?

15) I guess the ride feels less car like compared to the Innova, but that is bound to happen with larger (read taller) tyres and increased height which is par for the course for SUV's so we should not feel odd about that expecially after the safari, but hope it felt more planted than the Safari atleast considering the better rear tyre placement from the stability point of view and also the reduced weight.

16) Lastly 0-100 times - Possible 13's like the fortuner / Endy, the current safari is 15.XX, with the reduced wt and engine tuning should be possible? Ingear acceleration, can I take the car to say 100 from 20s in the third gear without shifting down? (Like the torque filled fortuner).

Inknow these are a ton of questions after all that you have already replied to but this should give a better Idea I guess of how it all matches up.
Old 13th August 2010, 09:47   #90
BHPian

IMO Tata will never price Aria beyond 13 lac, because its products are always low priced which is one of their trump card that Tata will play to its full strength. It has compared Aria with Endeavour, GV or Innova, because of their similar specs. Going for Tata's lust for interior space, Low legroom for the rearmost row is shocking though for such a lengthy vehicle.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed