Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2010, 13:46   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Another question. Did it have overhead storage like these, many in a row?
YES !! I mentioned these in my review of the interiors.

@ All :
The pics put up by Dippy in the Indicruz thread more or less cover the car well. Hardly anything has changed. I'm damn sure the tyre profile is the same, and the alloys were of the same design too.

Regarding the overhead storage spaces, that's exactly what they were, except that Dippy's pic shows a gap between the light and the two storage flip-outs on the roof. In the car I tested, there was a sunglass-holder between those as well. It was basically one continuous row of storage spaces running through the roof length.

The C-pillar AC vents were also the same, and the legroom was this much with the mid-row taken fully backwards. Maybe it has scope to get larger.

Also, those aircraft-type flip-out tables that we can see behind the front seats (in Dippy's pics) were not present on the car I drove.

Also, there was no wood trim on the doors / dash as seen in the silver display car.

BUTTT looking at the maroon display car in those pics (at the end), I think that's the top spec car with a GPS screen and all. So maybe the surveyor was speaking the truth, the one I drove was indeed NOT the top end.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 14th August 2010 at 13:49.
Old 14th August 2010, 20:06   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
The car was parked in front of the showroom, while I entered through the back entrance.
Didn't realize this from your initial post. My apologies.

I will reserve further comments until I check the Aria out myself.

Last edited by nowwhat? : 14th August 2010 at 20:11. Reason: Realized that flyingspur may not have TD's the top end version.
Old 15th August 2010, 00:55   #123
BHPian

Hey Flying spur, was it the TATA sales rep Renuka who was showing you guys around??
Old 15th August 2010, 00:57   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Didn't realize this from your initial post. My apologies.
No sweat, buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Hey Flying spur, was it the TATA sales rep Renuka who was showing you guys around??
Nope. It was a surveyor from a professional marketing research firm hired by Tata for executing this exercise.
Old 15th August 2010, 01:01   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Which is a dead giveaway that they're pricing it up there, or atleast somewhere close to 18 lacs. Which is a bad move. I don't think Tata has the brand equity to pull this off at that price point.
Nice review.

18 Lakhs - wondering if anyone will spend that much and quite happy see a Tata in their garage. I would rather settle for a 4X4 Safari. Are they thinking they are selling LR? or that their brand value has increased after acquiring JLR?

Looks - It really looks like a bloated vista. I personally dont like it.

Maintenance - Safari is little expensive to maintain. I am just extrapolating to compare Aria maintenance cost. Its going to make a big hole i think. Any idea about the service interval??

How is the fit and finish? Tata is known for pathetic fit and finish.

Last edited by GTO : 18th August 2010 at 13:42. Reason: STRICTLY no more than 2 smileys per post please
Old 15th August 2010, 01:17   #126
BHPian

Happened to go thru a few pages to find the expected TATA bashing posts and it really made me laugh till my sides ached. They wanted even panel gaps, TATA is making a sincere effort at that, they wanted plastics , TATA is upto the challenge, they wanted safety features , we have them even in the vista now, but they still want more features, better engines, more technology from J-LR which is also understandable, but when one says such a package will cost 20 L on road then these are the same critics who say TATA does not have the brand value to command such a price. Cmon guys you cant have your cake and eat it too. Neither does want to pay for a brand and neither can they accept whats being offered to them.

And i also read about TATA motors being the only one company thats being getting all the attention from Mr. Ratan Tata, let me tell you Taj hotels, Ginger hotels, TATA telecom,TATA real estate limited,TCS, Voltas,Eureka Forbes, TATA steel, Himalayan mineral water are all parts of the TATA group and there are atleast 10 more brands which I cannot recollect now.

Last edited by MihirC : 15th August 2010 at 01:18.
Old 15th August 2010, 12:08   #127
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
And i also read about TATA motors being the only one company thats being getting all the attention from Mr. Ratan Tata, let me tell you Taj hotels, Ginger hotels, TATA telecom,TATA real estate limited,TCS, Voltas,Eureka Forbes, TATA steel, Himalayan mineral water are all parts of the TATA group and there are atleast 10 more brands which I cannot recollect now.
+1. They well deserve the attention they are getting. After all, Tata Group has become the country's wealthiest group with a market value of whopping Rs 3,71,000 crore.

Tatas are India's most valued group with Rs 3.7 lakh cr m-cap-Analysis-Markets-The Economic Times
Old 15th August 2010, 12:45   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirajan View Post
Nice review..

18 Lakhs - wondering if anyone will spend that much and quite happy see a Tata in their garage. I would rather settle for a 4X4 Safari. Are they thinking they are selling LR? or that their brand value has increased after acquiring JLR?
Dont take this personal or nothing to hate you - You look like simple Tata-offender, but no questions on that and you can hate Tata cars But, dont generalize things. It would be better to restrict your opinion to yourself and what you would do and how you feel, rather than referring as "anyone" or "they". Hope you understand the difference.

Looks - It really looks like a bloated vista. I personally dont like it.
Good, no questions

Maintenance - Safari is little expensive to maintain. I am just extrapolating to compare Aria maintenance cost. Its going to make a big hole i think. Any idea about the service interval??
When we dont even know the pricing for sure, its very difficult to talk on maintenance. So, lets stay away from it at least till the time the vehicle is launched !

How is the fit and finish? Tata is known for pathetic fit and finish.
Lot of experienced/trusted BHPians have seen the vehicle in-person and has commented about this a lot. We need to trust them for these areas util the vehicle is officially launched and we see them.
Please have my response in bold

Last edited by kaviprem : 15th August 2010 at 12:48. Reason: Response updated.
Old 15th August 2010, 13:57   #129
Senior - BHPian

A SINCERE REQUEST

This is an excellent review of what appears to be a quality offering from TATA. Can I request members to try & be objective & add value to whatever Flyingspur has mentioned?

For the general, 24x7, non-specific TATA bashing, please take some time out & open a new thread in the Shifting Gears section & continue there

Thanks in advance & I'm sure that you will all respond to this simple request in a positive manner
Old 15th August 2010, 16:32   #130
BHPian

Aria doesent have to be the best of what is currently available in the market , as long as it is a a definite improvement from the previous products. Since the launch of the first indica, tata has shown what is called Continual progressive development with respect to its products. If the Aria is good enough as a product then the masses will eventually accept it for the price it is offered at. Manza, Safari have proved it till now.

Like Flying spur said ABS and 6 airbags are supposed to be standard over the segment which would be a segment first. It would be silly to expect a Mercedes or a BMW to roll out from the TATA stables with respect to quality. The improvement will be progressive and so will be the cost of the products and TATA is aware of it hence the products like vista, manza and now Aria. If I had 15-18 lakhs budget and was looking out for a a MUV/SUV then as an informed customer I would definitely look for other cars in the segment like the Captiva/Fortuner/Outlander but I would also look at the Aria on the same platform and if I find the Aria more appealing then I would go fo it irrespective of the brand name.
Old 15th August 2010, 20:59   #131
BHPian

FS...was the GB 5 or 6 speed. If it was 6 speed then the engine would be tuned for 170PS.
Old 15th August 2010, 21:18   #132
BHPian

Pictures of all the rows

Hi guys, reading all the post i realised some of you wanted to have a look at the pics of all the rows so today evening i made it a point to go to Concorde motors Prabhadevi to take some of the Aria, unfortunately the showroom was closed, fortunately being a regular at concorde as well as a regular customer I knew where they keep the cars in the back area or the basement so went there and got the attached pics(the pics are in order of the rows1-2-3), the quality is not too great but thats the best that I could take. I envy you Flying spur, im sure once they launch the vehicle , such a long test drive will be next to impossible. The last row seems cramped but, i thought the middle row was on rails or something. also if u see the last row pic there is some kind of lid on the armrest area.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Aria : Driving Impressions. EDIT : FULL specs, features & variants on page 18-15082010208.jpg  

Tata Aria : Driving Impressions. EDIT : FULL specs, features & variants on page 18-15082010206.jpg  

Tata Aria : Driving Impressions. EDIT : FULL specs, features & variants on page 18-15082010207.jpg  

Tata Aria : Driving Impressions. EDIT : FULL specs, features & variants on page 18-15082010203.jpg  

Last edited by MihirC : 15th August 2010 at 21:23.
Old 15th August 2010, 21:41   #133
Team-BHP Support

Those pics make it seem really impressive, I must say. In terms of quality.
Old 15th August 2010, 22:06   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

And the space behind the 3rd row seats seems too good to be wasted like that.
Agreed about the luggage space bit,but still they could have come up with some kinda sliding seat mechanism or made the leg room a little less compromised.
@mihirC, i don't know if this had been said before in the thread,but still how is the seating position. No doubt about the comfort,but what about the seat height?
Is it Safari-high or innova,endy car-like seating position.
If Safari-like the dead pedal won't be that much missed even with the cramped footwell(which BTW seems to be the only problem so far)
Old 15th August 2010, 22:11   #135
BHPian

Well yeah, I mean whatever TATA has done with the Aria it doesent seem like an half hearted effort. In fact the overall product seemed like well put together.Street presence is good. and again i really hope what flying spur has mentioned is true, ABS + 6 airbags standard over the entire segment. The model in the pictures didnt seem like the top of the line one and there was no 4X4 or AWD badge on the rear.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks