Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2010, 18:52   #301
BHPian

Fantastic Feature list . Tata sets the standard by "ABS, AWD, All wheel disk brake, dual AC on all models". I remember a thread stating that - Tata's working on launching ABS on the entire model, which come true now.

It would be a Perfect Upgrade for me for Safer MUV. It is definitely in My Radar.

Tata shouldn't delay launching Aria in Europe and other Up market.

Last edited by TeddyBear : 22nd September 2010 at 18:53.
Old 22nd September 2010, 20:23   #302
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugwaar View Post

Interestingly, there's been a couple at our design HQ for months now (as well as a few Nanos) but I don't think anything's being done on it. It looks like a post test discarded proto from MIRA where Tata does loads of tests and the interiors look like they've been put together from other Tata models. My belief is that they're here just for JLR engineers to have a peek at but there has been no design input from JLR as claimed by the article
Compare the interior of Aria and that of some LR models. You can see a lot of resemblance. And I dont think that is a coincidence. Infact the first time I saw the cockpit and center console, I thought to myself this looks a lot like the RR sport.
Old 22nd September 2010, 21:23   #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Compare the interior of Aria and that of some LR models. You can see a lot of resemblance. And I dont think that is a coincidence. Infact the first time I saw the cockpit and center console, I thought to myself this looks a lot like the RR sport.
Could be a coincidence, or let us say Tata were 'inspired; while designing their interiors. Some people believe the XF looks like Lexus when there was absolutely no collaboration or plagiarism !!

Tata purchased JLR in 2008. As someone working in Automotive product developement, I can say with some confidence that it is not possible for JLR to have worked on Aria interiors considering the timescale (unless you're Japanese and even then it is really tight!!)

Aria would have advanced sufficiently in it's PD lifecycle by the time Tata got control of JLR to have had it's design signed off and making any changes late is suicidal and wouldn't get approval from any decent management. It is a compliment to Tata designers if you believe that their interior looks like RRS as JLR are accepted to make some of the best interiors in the automotive world to the extent that a Mr Clarkson has written that the Range Rover is the best car to be sitting in!!

People really need to understand that TML and JLR still operate as separate companies even though they belong to the same parent group. Just because Tata purchased JLR doesn't mean that all JLR resources are at TML disposal or vice versa. Even part sharing at a very basic level is a long way away....

By the way, saw an Indica in one of our workshops today. The interior looks well smart compared to what I remember seeing earlier in India.
Old 22nd September 2010, 22:30   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugwaar View Post
Could be a coincidence, or let us say Tata were 'inspired; while designing their interiors.
Or there could be a dedicated external designer/team, like a small but very specialized firm whose service was availed by both companies ?

@jugwaar, good posts there buddy; its always nice to hear insiderspeak...
Old 23rd September 2010, 02:26   #305
BHPian

I dont know about part design inputs from JLR, but Tata surely seem to have taken some inputs from their product positioning department. The new LR Evoque is scheduled to come in three versions - base PURE, luxury PRESTIGE and sporty DYNAMIC. SidIndica tells us that Aria will have PURE and PRESTIGE. Coincidence? I dont think so, considering both Aria and Evoque come from the same parent
Old 23rd September 2010, 12:14   #306
BHPian

Tata Aria Teaser Website

Build A Dream Car : Sign up - This is a teaser website hosted by Tata Motors to build your own Aria. Kind of flash game, having 5 levels - Chassis, Dashboard, Interior, Exterior, Engine and Special Feature. I finished the Chassis Level, but it got stuck, the page doesn't navigate to Dashboard.. How about you?
Old 23rd September 2010, 12:24   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
ABS standard across all variants, impressive.
Except airbags, the Aria base version has almost all features of innova top variant plus much more.
Tata Aria base version price if starts at 12 Lakhs which is Toyotoa Innova's Top end version price then obviously brand perception will play big role.

Tata Aria needs to offer more features at low prices to sell against Toyota Innova as a brand TATA is not matching with Toyota. Tata must be knowing Xylo didnot stop Innova sales due to Mahindra brand deficit against Toyota.

If TATA aims big volume of sales for Aria in India Pricing is Key. Aria's Featurers ought to be exceeding Innova at 20% low prices of Innova.
Old 23rd September 2010, 12:50   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
If TATA aims big volume of sales for Aria in India Pricing is Key. Aria's Featurers ought to be exceeding Innova at 20% low prices of Innova.
IMHO, people who love cribbing about TATA would crib even if the Top end Aria was priced at 50% of the Lowest Innova variant

So does it really matter?
Old 23rd September 2010, 12:51   #309
Senior - BHPian

Again, I dont think Tata aimed the Aria at the Innova, if they did they would have come out with a product and spec sheet on the lines of a Xylo and priced it less as well. The only overlap between the Aria and an Innova is the base Tata against the top end Toyota and from the details available so far it looks like the Aria is more loaded even in this scenario. No doubt this car will not have the volumes generally associated with mainstream Tata vehicles but as far as the domestic market is concerned it fits into a neat price bracket which has very little competition. The likes of the CRV and Endeavour have priced themselves out of the 15 lac segment.
Old 23rd September 2010, 13:28   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
IMHO, people who love cribbing about TATA would crib even if the Top end Aria was priced at 50% of the Lowest Innova variant

So does it really matter?
I like TATA as a company and want TATA to be playing a LEAD in Quality with best price.

I believe ONLY TATA has the ability with a matching quality on their new generation vehicles can FORCE price correction by other Global Brands like Honda, Toyota in Indian Market.

Right now Indians are fleeced in Indian Market due to lack of quality competition. As TATA is matching up with quality,I see TATA is the ONLY positive hope for Indians to get better specced vehicles at better prices.

I am Not cribbing on TATA. On any day I want to buy a TATA car with A/T when I repatriate to India.
Old 23rd September 2010, 13:45   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Or there could be a dedicated external designer/team, like a small but very specialized firm whose service was availed by both companies ?
I suppose Tata have always approached European design firms for design consultation as with Indica. However, JLR have a full in-house design team and only approach external firms for minor mods although the styling is still done by JLR.. after all we have some of the world's best designers working for us in Ian Callum and Gerry McGovern - Example: The X-Type saloon was designed in-house albeit under 'orders' from Ford but the estate was outsourced to Pininfarina, and that too most probably because of lack of resource/manpower to do the engineering. You never know... the way things are going globally, in the future, rather than JLR design Tata products, it could be the other way round with Tata's many consultancies getting the outsourced business from JLR !!!
Old 23rd September 2010, 13:50   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
I am Not cribbing on TATA. On any day I want to buy a TATA car with A/T when I repatriate to India.
In that case, be realistic Hari

Do you seriously think any company would offer the Aria with the kind of equipment levels listed at a price 20% lower than the Innova? Would people forgive TATA if any components failed simply because it was 20% cheaper than Innova? Nope. They'd still say "What did you expect, its a TATA after all".

And btw, would a Toyota loyalist buy a TATA even if it were 20% cheaper? IMHO - No.
(I'm not saying you are a Toyota loyalist but I'm referring to the ones you think would buy)

Last edited by suman : 23rd September 2010 at 13:51.
Old 23rd September 2010, 13:52   #313
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

If the pride version with it's really superb features list comes in at about 16.xL Ex showroom then I would choose the fortuner at an exshowroom of 19.xL Ex showroom.

while at 13.5L Ex showroom for the price spec my choice would be Aria.

It's a fine line. Yep I root for the TATA brand, but it needs to also deliver better value than Toyota, for a customer to take the risk on it with it's lower brand positioning, while being more confident on the Toyota in India.

Hope sid is incorrect in the price range.
Old 23rd September 2010, 14:09   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
In that case, be realistic Hari

Do you seriously think any company would offer the Aria with the kind of equipment levels listed at a price 20% lower than the Innova? Would people forgive TATA if any components failed simply because it was 20% cheaper than Innova? Nope. They'd still say "What did you expect, its a TATA after all".

And btw, would a Toyota loyalist buy a TATA even if it were 20% cheaper? IMHO - No.
(I'm not saying you are a Toyota loyalist but I'm referring to the ones you think would buy)
TATA can & Should achieve best price with great features.
As am realistic I ponder TATA has begun losing on their VISTA. See the case of Figo taking away the USP of Vista Space. Figo sells better with space and features at similar price of Vista and realistically atleast 20% of Figo buyers are otherwise Vista customers .

This is reality for TATAs volume model Vista. TATA must deliver in their strong points VFM and add more quality with best features in their models. Aria is good on Features. Tata has done what is needed on quality and features and Now most important Price factor.

Realistically The lower model of Aria must be not exceeding Rs. 10 Lakhs ex show room price.

Else the scenario can become like this Low end Aria will essentially promote more sales for Toyota's Innova and High end Aria will promote Toyota's Fortuner.

IMHO Rs. 9 to 13 lakhs will be the ideal price band for all variants of Aria to begin with a sales of > 1500 units a month

Last edited by harimakesh : 23rd September 2010 at 14:11.
Old 23rd September 2010, 14:59   #315
Senior - BHPian

The pricing seems right for the equipment that they are offering. Could even be considered in-expensive since its coming from TATA. Should be a real good MUV and hope it succeeds with people accepting the value.

Why is it a crossover even though its built body on frame?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed