Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2010, 22:06   #496
ajai_dev

Called the Fiat-Tata show room guy i have his home number sadly the guy said Tata is handled by another guy. He gave me the mobile number of that guy and i asked about the Aria seems that Himachal launch will be later they dont have a test car yet but they will get stock first so he said that he will be me see and touch the car when it come but not drive it :(

Old 11th October 2010, 22:09   #497
Senior - BHPian

If Tata were to have offered the ARIA to match the features of the Innova's base variant, feature for feature, and no more than that, I am sure it could have been priced in the sub 10 lakhs range. I really wish they could have had the base variant start from here.

But I do not think this was Tata's intention ever. Obviously they are looking at capturing the high segment market, by rolling out the first crossover model, keeping it different from the Innova. Hope this product does well for the Tata Group !
Old 11th October 2010, 22:23   #498
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Anyone has any information on the Xfer case, and the traction control system?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 11th October 2010, 22:25   #499
BHPian

I do like the looks of Tata Aria and the pricing also seems ok for what it offers except for the top end model, it gets a lot higher (on road). Hope Tata manages to get many of them on road .

Slightly OT: Is the Tata-Fiat's B.U.Bhandari showroom on Pashan road in Pune not there anymore? I was checking the dealers in Pune on the Tata Aria website and it fails to mention them.
Old 11th October 2010, 22:28   #500
Senior - BHPian

Tata Aria Prices (ex-showroom Delhi)
Pleasure: Rs 12.91 lakh (Fabric upholstery)

Prestige: Rs 14.13 lakh (Fabric upholstery)
Prestige: Rs 14.5 lakh (Leather upholstery)
Pride: Rs 15.5 lakh (Leather upholstery)

searched the web but i think only ACI has got its first drive up for now

Mods: Not Promoting any website but sharing the link just for the benefit of other BHPians.

Tata Aria test drive and review | Autocar India
Old 11th October 2010, 22:28   #501
Senior - BHPian

Given all the features & the tech involved, i feel the pricing is a bit on the higher side. 17L on road for the top end seems too steep, given tata's brand value presently.

also, a major turn off for me is that it looks too much like a van. the rear end stying is simply not acceptable for a 17L MUV. had it been a muscular & brawny SUV, i think many would have plonked that amount just for the looks & image associated with an expensive SUV (consider fortuner).

but nevertheless, the aria is a great car & has no real competitors with these features at this price point, until the mahindra World SUV (W201) is launched. a person who who gives importance to brand value will not even look at the Aria.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 11th October 2010 at 22:30.
Old 11th October 2010, 22:32   #502
Senior - BHPian

As much as i love features and looks, this starts at a very high premium to Innova. Mahindra tried giving a better specc'ed crossover at a lower price point and failed - lets see how you do it Tata.
Old 11th October 2010, 22:35   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajai_dev View Post
Called the Fiat-Tata show room guy i have his home number sadly the guy said Tata is handled by another guy. He gave me the mobile number of that guy and i asked about the Aria seems that Himachal launch will be later they dont have a test car yet but they will get stock first so he said that he will be me see and touch the car when it come but not drive it :(
Currently ARIA is only available in the following states (that too only in a few limited cities)

Here is the list of states where ARIA is available(or atleast price info is available )
Andhra Pradesh
Chandigarh
Chattisgarh
Delhi
Gujarat
Haryana
Karnataka
Kerala
Madhya Pradesh
Maharashtra
Punjab
Rajasthan
Tamil Nadu
Uttar Pradesh
West Bengal
Old 11th October 2010, 22:38   #504
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra may learn from the potential failure of TATA ARIA Pricing and price their SUV better.

TATA has developed a great vehicle with better interiors than the fortuner, but a smaller engine and a MUV look, but it makes me turn to the Fortuner which is better looking, more powerful, a TOYOTA and just about within 5 L of the on road pricing of the Aria.

Those who want premium comfort would not be moved by the Pride version vs the Innova V variant with a price differential of more than 3L, while, the base variant is to pricey for the taxi variants. It is a great vehicle but it mainly for those with a fixed budget that lets them consider this over the Laura, Cruz, Innova V, Altis V, Civic V, Jetta etc.

It's neither here nor there, seems more suited for the world market.

I may not buy it, but hope it does really well.
Old 11th October 2010, 22:42   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonorm View Post
I do like the looks of Tata Aria and the pricing also seems ok for what it offers except for the top end model, it gets a lot higher (on road). Hope Tata manages to get many of them on road .

Slightly OT: Is the Tata-Fiat's B.U.Bhandari showroom on Pashan road in Pune not there anymore? I was checking the dealers in Pune on the Tata Aria website and it fails to mention them.

BUB has given up Tata dealership and are going in for a Volkswagen dealership in Pune
Old 11th October 2010, 22:45   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Mahindra may learn from the potential failure of TATA ARIA Pricing and price their SUV better.

It's neither here nor there, seems more suited for the world market.

I may not buy it, but hope it does really well.
My thoughts exactly initially.

But for a 'world car' lack of an auto, and an I6 is surprising.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 11th October 2010 at 22:46.
Old 11th October 2010, 22:49   #507
BHPian

I don't quite understand this "Aria is not VFM" argument. I think on most occasions VFM gets mistaken with affordability.

Is any other manufacturer offering the same features as the Aria at a price point which is below that of Aria ? If yes : then the Aria won't be VFM. At this point I don't see any other model / variant offering the same features as that of the Aria. The Aria has set a benchmark.

Let's just appreciate what Tata's have done and appreciate the product. It's too early to tell if it is value for money or not.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2010, 22:53   #508
BHPian

@ACM: I agree with you on this. This appears to be a niche MUV in the Indian market. Better suited for the international market. Forgive my ignorance on this, but isn't Aria the only 4x4 MUV in India?
Old 11th October 2010, 22:55   #509
BHPian

i think tata has made a mistake by pricing the car fairly higher than the innova,
no doubt it is loaded to the gills with goodies but at the end of the day its the brand value thats gonna stump them.
as many have already said that there are much better options within 3 lacs of the aria both ways,
anyone with a budget of 12 lacs would be better off spending that money on the innova that is much more refined and reliable option,
while those willing to spend 15.5 lacs on the aria have the option of going for much more established rivals.
if it would have been at least a lac cheaper it would have made a strong case for itself against the innova.
Old 11th October 2010, 22:55   #510
BHPian

couldnt catch the webcast - either due to a poor link or poor broadcast infra. Can only guess. Found a nice review by BS Motoring, which claims to be the first video review.

Quite rightly the reviewer compares it to other soft roaders matching viz. Captiva and CRV. Not Innova - guess it is not an AWD, although an MPV. Not Fortuner/Endeavour/Pajero - no SUV features. And none of these, except for Aria come with 6 air bags or ESP.

Isnt it a bit unfair to bundle puddle lamps and auto folding OVRMs along with solid saftey features as gizmos! I think it helps the discussion at this level - saftey, comfort, style etc. before deciding if it is over priced or VFM. For e.g. the glove chiller box appeals to me since I travel often with kids who might ask for a sandwich or a drink along the way and nothing like a chiller to keep things fresh. And so on...the appeal adds up. Guess it depends on how serious one is about buying too. I for one am.
dhuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed