Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2010, 22:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

TATA TDL 4X2 - How good a vehicle is this?!!

Hello BHPians!
I came across this nice truck in my friend's Villa on the outskirts of Bangalore. This is a export version vehicle, used in Bangalore for test drives, bought by my friend. Its run just 3k kms when bought.

I wanted to know how good a vehicle is this to own? Its a 4X2 drive with 2.2L engine.

TATA TDL 4X2 - How good a vehicle is this?!!-spm_a0080.jpg
Old 20th September 2010, 23:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

It is a good vehicle, if you need a utility vehicle. As a family car it is a bad choice as the back seats and ride at the back is not very comfortable. It doesn't have the 2.2 L engine but the same 2.0 Turbo Di engine as in the Sumo Victa. It is quite a handful to use in the city. I happened to have the older version of this, which is the 207 Double Cab.
Old 20th September 2010, 23:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think this has 3.0 liter tata 407 engine without turbocharger.

There was an ex version with power steering. most of them were sold only as G permit here in Rajasthan.
Old 20th September 2010, 23:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

My bad. Yes, it has a 2.0L engine.
Old 20th September 2010, 23:26   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

SirAlec, this is not the current 207 series, but the TL series - mostly exported, but also available here with the 2.0L IDI TCIC engine. This one never came with the 3.0 DI. I'm actually a little surprised when he says it has the 2.2L DICOR.

@Funkykar, the vehicle itself shouldnot have any problems, but doesnt work as a family car. The rear seat is cramped - not much space there. Else, performance wise it will not be a let down.

One fellow TBHP-ian had this, and I have seen it. The specs look good, too.
Old 20th September 2010, 23:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

The previous one had 1.9 liter IDI from sumo.

There is definitely a version that has 3.0 na engine. i see it daily. Its owned by our nandu sabziwala. a famous chap in town.

Even our waste disposal wala has couple of them fitted with waste bin.

will post the image tomorrow.
Old 20th September 2010, 23:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Funkykar, the vehicle itself shouldnot have any problems, but doesnt work as a family car. The rear seat is cramped - not much space there. Else, performance wise it will not be a let down.

One fellow TBHP-ian had this, and I have seen it. The specs look good, too.
Yes you are right. I am getting married next month. So this would be convenient for my small family.

This too belongs to a T-Bhpian!
Old 20th September 2010, 23:46   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Yes you are right. I am getting married next month. So this would be convenient for my small family.

This too belongs to a T-Bhpian!
Karthik, This MUV looks good and is a silent performer.

Its called TELCOLINE. You can buy this if you own a farm and have daily driving activity to and fro.(Which i hope after getting married you would be gifted one)

My friend had one of these (Of course, he owns a farm ) but till date regrets giving away one.

It comes with the 2 litre Turbo charged (Same TCIC old Safari engine, GREAT)

Let me know if you are not picking it up. My friend will grab it.

Not suitable for a family on Long drives, BOUNCY and hard.
Old 21st September 2010, 08:37   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Good Wheel Base, 90bhp / 190Nm, good Power-to-weight ratio. Engine's tested & stable. A/c is good. Good driving position.

BUT : Rear seat is a problem. The seat is not deep enough. Space is less. It's more of a bench - the incline of the back rest is not sufficient. And you dont have space to change that bench.
Old 21st September 2010, 08:48   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@siralec:

You are confusing this vehicle with the commercial version which is sold with commercial plates. That one has the 3.0 NA engine from the Tata 407. The vehicle you see in this thread was mainly developed for exports and sold locally on order. It has the same TCIC engine as the earlier Safari and Sumo victa.
Old 21st September 2010, 08:59   #11
BHPian

If the decals and the stickers on the vehicle is not an aftermarket job, then it clearly states that its a turbo-charged intercooled TDi engine, Probably the 3.0L ones which comes on the Di Sumos.
Old 21st September 2010, 09:05   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
4x4addict : @siralec: You are confusing this vehicle with the commercial version which is sold with commercial plates.
+1

There are two similar models : the commercial 207 Di that we see mostly. And the Telcoline series. The graphics are different. The 207 Di looks a little crude too - dont know where they have made those subtle changes to make it look like that.

The 207 Di - 3.0L NA engine
Telcoline : 2.0L IDI TCIC engine. With the works - PS, A/c etc.

The load bay is different too. The Di has that corrugated type sheet metal box - not the elegant load bay that this one has.
Old 21st September 2010, 14:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Looks huuuge and butch. It will do to traffic what Moses did to Red Sea. Tata sure makes stunning looking SUVs/pick-ups. I still can't decide best looker among Sierra, Safari, this TDL and Xenon. Wish I could buy 'em all. Hehe...
Old 21st September 2010, 19:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

It's the telcoline or other name is TL, it comes with a 2.0L IDI turbo engine out of the sumo turbo /safari 2.0L.
I do not think it's in production now though.
Old 21st September 2010, 20:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

These are the exact words the owner had to say about this truck:

The model is 2006 and I am the second owner the first owners are the TELCO people and this was a test drive vehicle. It is done 23000 KMS has got comprehensive insurance valid for perhaps for another 8 months. Diesel version gives 12 KMS per ltr with AC. Has got everything that a highend vehicle should have but for ABS and AIR Bags. Maintained well and no attnetion is needed. You may have to spend around Rs 2500 every 10000 KMs running. Is in a very good condition.This is 2 ltr engine originally priced @ 9 lakhs meant only for export. Sold around 120 vehicles in India and now re-released as TATA XENON. Spare parts and the maintainanace is very easy since the engine is of Safari.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks