Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2013, 17:30   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW X5 Reliability and Ownership costs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix View Post
Hi All,

This is my first post on TBHP and let me tell you that the feeling of being accepted into TBHP almost parallels the thrill I am experiencing now--just before my first luxury car purchase .

After a lot of test drives and research I have zeroed in on a new BMW X5. I will share my research experience and process in detail in a subsequent post.

Before finalising the deal, wanted the member's opinion on the X5's reliability and cost of ownership. I intend keeping it for 3-4 years and my usage will average around 1000km a month, about 70% of the distance will be on highways. Should I take the BSI (costs 4 lakhs for 4 years) given my low mileage? The car is a CBU from Germany (as confirmed by the SA).

Appreciate any inputs or experiences from current or past owners of Beemers in general and the X5 in particular.

Thanks!
I hope you are getting around 7-8 lacs + off since the new X5 will be here soon. Its already launched globally.

Even the present one is a capable and fun machine. And its at the end of its lifecycle so will be reasonably reliable since all the niggles will be sorted.

But do take BSI, in case something does go wrong you won't ever have to worry about the cost.
Old 18th December 2013, 17:53   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

This is my first post on TBHP and let me tell you that the feeling of being accepted into TBHP almost parallels the thrill I am experiencing now--just before my first luxury car purchase .

After a lot of test drives and research I have zeroed in on a new BMW X5. I will share my research experience and process in detail in a subsequent post.

Before finalising the deal, wanted the member's opinion on the X5's reliability and cost of ownership. I intend keeping it for 3-4 years and my usage will average around 1000km a month, about 70% of the distance will be on highways. Should I take the BSI (costs 4 lakhs for 4 years) given my low mileage? The car is a CBU from Germany (as confirmed by the SA).

Appreciate any inputs or experiences from current or past owners of Beemers in general and the X5 in particular.

Thanks!
I own the previous generation X5 that I had purchased in 2008. Life has been more or less trouble free except for a couple of issues with the AC and an electronics problem once. I have also replaced the brakes once.

My advice would be to take the BSI since you never know what will go wrong in these cars with so many electronics. Without coverage the dealers are out to just 'rape' the customers. My strong choice of words is because of the experience I have had with the problems on my car, having paid in lacs to fix the problems.

Another advice since you mention highway usage is to buy a space saver spare tire with your x5. I have been stranded on countless occasions with the run flats. They are just not meant for India. I think that is one of the main reasons why the M class is out selling the beamers. I have shifted to regular radials on my car, however, carrying a full size spare does not leave much space for luggage in the boot.

Don't mean to discourage you with this post. Driving an X5 is a thrill that not many other SUVs can match, so in all I'd say my experience has been worth all the problems. Wish you all the best!
manishk123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 18:17   #18
BHPian

Thanks GTO for shifting my query to the appropriate section and for the advise. Your responses are quite reassuring.
@ Manish - The car comes with a regular tire for use as a stepney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I hope you are getting around 7-8 lacs + off since the new X5 will be here soon. Its already launched globally.
The final offer I have is at 68.5 lacs OTR and that is around 6 lacs off from the initial quote. Dont think i may be able to better this will nevertheless push. Thanks for your inputs Akshay and Manish.

I just got a call from the Audi guys offering a Q7 at 70 OTR. While I am inclined to the X5 for pure driving pleasure, wanted to know if the Q7 will retain better value given that the X5 upgrade is out?
Old 18th December 2013, 18:47   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The final offer I have is at 68.5 lacs OTR and that is around 6 lacs off from the initial quote. Dont think i may be able to better this will nevertheless push. Thanks for your inputs Akshay and Manish.

I just got a call from the Audi guys offering a Q7 at 70 OTR. While I am inclined to the X5 for pure driving pleasure, wanted to know if the Q7 will retain better value given that the X5 upgrade is out?
Q7 will get replaced soon enough I think. So won't really make a difference.

I think you can certainly get more off than 6l considering its December and even the BMW people will surely know the new X5 is on its way here.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 21:23   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks GTO for shifting my query to the appropriate section and for the advise. Your responses are quite reassuring.
@ Manish - The car comes with a regular tire for use as a stepney.

I am a little confused here. The dealer here in Jaipur claims 95-99L OTR price for X5. On the other hand, you mention an OTR price of 68L after a 6L discount. That makes OTR price without discount to work out to 74L.

Even taking VAT and road tax difference, there is a difference of over 25L Please enlighten!
Old 18th December 2013, 21:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Re: *Facelifted* BMW X5 launched in India

The pdf mentioned in the link mentions they only cover the regular service related components but does not seem to cover engine, transmission or other electronics.
Old 18th December 2013, 22:22   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post

I am a little confused here. The dealer here in Jaipur claims 95-99L OTR price for X5. On the other hand, you mention an OTR price of 68L after a 6L discount. That makes OTR price without discount to work out to 74L.

Even taking VAT and road tax difference, there is a difference of over 25L Please enlighten!
Apparently BMW is offering additional support to dealers to liquidate stock in hand..and whoever is carrying stock is passing this discount. As per the price list x5 otr is around 98 lacs.
Old 18th December 2013, 23:45   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Apparently BMW is offering additional support to dealers to liquidate stock in hand..and whoever is carrying stock is passing this discount. As per the price list x5 otr is around 98 lacs.
I smell something fishy. BMW will not offer 25L discount on any of its vehicle. For X5, this works out to 25% of OTR cost. It simply does not add up. Now, I know some dealers are also carrying 2012 stock () of the same vehicle. So by the calculation, these vehicles should simply cost under 50L OTR which is great!!!

Can someone throw more light on this matter.
Old 19th December 2013, 05:27   #24
BHPian

Quote:

I smell something fishy. BMW will not offer 25L discount on any of its vehicle. For X5, this works out to 25% of OTR cost. It simply does not add up. Now, I know some dealers are also carrying 2012 stock () of the same vehicle. So by the calculation, these vehicles should simply cost under 50L OTR which is great!!!

Well I smelt a rat too but checked on some international forums and bmw user blogs where references to about 5 to 8k usd off on the outgoing model were evident. This should translate to about 7 to 13 lacs off on ex showroom accounting for the CBU duties. This would at Otr prices mean about 20 lacs off.
Old 19th December 2013, 05:27   #25
BHPian

I've seen this in the flesh, and to be honest, it looks cheap, somehow BMW seem to have missed the point of a luxury SUV. Don't get me wrong, the interior is excellent, but looking at it next to a ML-class or even the previous X5, it just looks wrong.

The current design language has taken some of the aggression out of the car, while also managing to make it look less expensive. I'd rather have the new Range Rover than this "facelifted" X5.
Old 19th December 2013, 07:25   #26
BHPian

The current design language has taken some of the aggression out of the car, while also managing to make it look less expensive. I'd rather have the new Range Rover than this "facelifted" X5.
[/quote]
Are you referring to the third generation x5 launched recently abroad or to the current x5 in india?
Old 19th December 2013, 12:43   #27
BHPian

Quote:

Asked my friends to do some mystery shopping this morning in Mumbai and Cochin for the X5. In Mumbai the initial price quoted was 75lacs negotiable, and on enquiring further the sales person indicated an OTR of 68. On the other hand, in Cochin, the sales person maintained 95 lacs with room for negotiation of about 5-6 lacs!..thought this was reflective of the stock position each was carrying.
Old 19th December 2013, 12:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Q7 should be a good buy at 70, compared to the X5. I think it will retain resale better as its the favourte of the real estate/political fixer crowd. The X5 doesn't look as intimidating and isn't as big, the resale market values this. Please factor in BSI while making your buy, I think Audi doesn't have an equivalent.
Old 19th December 2013, 13:10   #29
BHPian

Quote:
While I am inclined to the X5 for pure driving pleasure, wanted to know if the Q7 will retain better value given that the X5 upgrade is out?
There is no real driving pleasure in X5. It will have more or less similar body roll as Q7. Q7 will be a better choice among the two considering resale and all. BTW, which engine is being offered at 70L for Q7? 3.0 or 4.2? If it's 4.2, it's no brainer if you ask me.
Old 19th December 2013, 13:55   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The Q7 should be a good buy at 70, compared to the X5. I think it will retain resale better as its the favourte of the real estate/political fixer crowd. The X5 doesn't look as intimidating and isn't as big, the resale market values this. Please factor in BSI while making your buy, I think Audi doesn't have an equivalent.
I beg to differ, my guess is that there will be an oversupply of Q7's in the used car market within a year or so

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks