Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: If Lexus were sold in India like BMW or Merc, how much premium would you pay for it?
None 181 80.80%
0-10% 18 8.04%
10-20% 15 6.70%
20-30% 5 2.23%
30-40% 5 2.23%
above 40% 0 0%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2010, 10:36   #46
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Why should we pay a premium for Lexus ?

Considering Toyota with its efficient manufacturing processes, cost of manufacture is definitely lesser than the Germans.

What Lexus lacks is the soul & solidity of the Germans, positives being the lower cost of maintenance & spares which cost a bomb in case of the Germans (considering common parts under the hood with high volume Toyota models)

Also the reliability factor would surely be better !

I just cannot comprehend & understand why Toyota are hesitating so much in bringing in Lexus

Almost all the luxury brands are already here in India & knowing how we Indians love Japanese technology, it would surely be a success !
Old 30th September 2010, 12:34   #47
Senior - BHPian

The reason why toyota is hesitating to bring Lexus here in India is that it will entail quite a lot of work.

Toyota for one will never sell lexus alongside toyota's not even share same showroom space with different sections for Lexus.I remember reading and interview of the Toyota head of india sometime back and they said if we launch Lexus it will be through an exclusive dealer network with exclusive after sales and servicing with no connection what so ever with toyota.So that will require a major investment.

Secondly they also wont share productions lines with toyota and building a new production plant for lexus is unfeasable because the volumes are low.So that leaves CBU imports and they said import duties are too high and they cannot get the pricing right.

Rest be assured Lexus will come to India.Toyoto does its homework well and bides it time,but when it launches something it makes sure it decimates the competition.
Old 30th September 2010, 12:54   #48
Senior - BHPian

^camry is a CBU how do you expect Lexus to be made.

Toyota will concentrate on small cars in India. Etios will be a turning point for them in India.
Old 30th September 2010, 20:37   #49
BHPian

I voted for Zero premium because you did not have a choice for 10% discount

There is no way they can sell their cars over a premium to BMWs or Mercs. Not in this country, not in any other country in the world.
Old 6th October 2010, 22:32   #50
BHPian

Although Lexus builds good-looking cars, I will always prefer the Prius to the CT. Also, performance-wise, it continues to be lower in the rankings than Mercedes or BMW...even the hybrids. Anyway, I guess it all depends on what your cousin prefers doesn't it?
Old 7th October 2010, 13:26   #51
Senior - BHPian

Premium for the Lexus? No way. In fact no premium for any car. Which is why I most probably will never touch a Honda in India.
Old 19th October 2010, 16:22   #52
Senior - BHPian

One of my cousin owns a 470 for the last 2 years and he is extremely happy with its performance.

I had inquired with magus last week regarding importing a new 570 and i was told that the approximate cost would be 1.45cr (fully loaded). However, this excludes registration and insurance.
Old 19th October 2010, 16:25   #53
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I endorse jeremy clarkson's view - which he aired on a Top Gear episode which I watched sometime in 1993-1994.

The Lexus is a car that one would buy with one's head and not with one's heart.

I know it is a super reliable, super efficient, engineering marvel, but unfortunately from my point of view, it just does not and cannot and will not have the same emotional appeal as would a merc/ beemer etc. I cannot put a finger on it but there it is.
Old 19th October 2010, 16:57   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

I know it is a super reliable, super efficient, engineering marvel, but unfortunately from my point of view, it just does not and cannot and will not have the same emotional appeal as would a merc/ beemer etc. I cannot put a finger on it but there it is.
I second your comments.Lexus does not have a history to share with all of us unlike BMW and Mercedes.It is a company which was incorporated in 1990.
Old 20th October 2010, 11:54   #55
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
I had inquired with magus last week regarding importing a new 570 and i was told that the approximate cost would be 1.45cr (fully loaded). However, this excludes registration and insurance.
Has Magus gone mad? Why would anyone buy a Lexus 570 for 1.5 crore, when you can get the Landcruiser 200 series (same vehicle, only difference is equipment) officially from Toyota for 1 crore! Plus, with an official import, you get full bill + official company support + warranty + guaranteed parts supply.

Quote:
I agree. Lexus doesn't have the "feel good" factor of the Germans. That, and the badge, are very important when you're spending 50 lakh rupees. Else everyone would be driving an Accord.
Old 20th October 2010, 12:31   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Has Magus gone mad? Why would anyone buy a Lexus 570 for 1.5 crore, when you can get the Landcruiser 200 series (same vehicle, only difference is equipment) officially from Toyota for 1 crore! Plus, with an official import, you get full bill + official company support + warranty + guaranteed parts supply.
Probably yes.

570 is in between the range of 1.35 and 1.45 cr

200 Diesel is priced at 1.01cr and 1.03cr and 200 petrol is priced between 69-90L.

Registration and insurance extra for 570.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 20th October 2010 at 12:43. Reason: Edit
Old 29th October 2010, 13:20   #57
BHPian

A premium for Lexus over the Germans. I wonder what the powers that be must have been smoking . Forget about a premium, they should be fined for even suggesting this .

Call me old fashioned or anything, but give me German luxury over the Japanese any given day.
Kartik Krishnan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2010, 15:24   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post
I voted for Zero premium because you did not have a choice for 10% discount

There is no way they can sell their cars over a premium to BMWs or Mercs. Not in this country, not in any other country in the world.
Same here. There should be an option for discount. Lexus was started with that intention. Give you everything the Mercs and BMW's have at a much lower price. Now Hyundai is also going the same route with the Genisis.
Attached Thumbnails
Lexus over a BMW/Merc?-dubhyundaigenesissedanfrontquartermain.jpg  

Lexus over a BMW/Merc?-hyundaigenesissedanpictures.jpg  

Lexus over a BMW/Merc?-images.jpg  

Old 13th November 2010, 21:11   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Yeah, the Genesis just changed my whole view of korean cars single-handedly.
Lexus was started like that.The S class sized LS was priced in E class territory.
Now the prices have increased steeply and now on par with the German, but don't forget that for the same price they offer far more features and gizmos and also i may say 'luxury'., not to say piece of mind.
Old 26th September 2011, 01:14   #60
BHPian

Re: Lexus over a BMW/Merc?

Quote:
The Lexus is a car that one would buy with one's head and not with one's heart.

Old thread, but just came across this since I joined. I completely agree with the above statement. Having owned 1 BMW (328i) and 2 Lexus sedans (ES300), and driven some friends' Audi A4, A6, I can relate to this.

The German automobiles are a driver's car, especially the BMW and the Audis. I am not a big fan of Mercs, just a personal choice I guess. The Lexus is where you want to chauffeur-driven completely wrapped in luxury. I have never had a single problem with both my Lexuses. One was a 2001 ES300, and I currently drive a 2002 ES300 with 95,000 miles on it now. 200% reliable car, and the German brands can't come close to that in terms of reliability and efficiency.

But, and its a big but, given a choice, I would go for the BMW any day. When I owned the Beemer, I truly enjoyed each and every second of driving, which I have not found with my Lexus.

Here are a few photos of my previous Beemer, and my Lexuses.

1998 BMW 328i:

Lexus over a BMW/Merc?-200202_bmw_nj_01.jpg
Lexus over a BMW/Merc?-200202_bmw_nj_02.jpg
Lexus over a BMW/Merc?-200202_bmw_nj_04.jpg
Lexus over a BMW/Merc?-200202_bmw_nj_05.jpg

2001 Lexus ES300:

Lexus over a BMW/Merc?-lexus-3.jpg
Lexus over a BMW/Merc?-lexus-6.jpg
Lexus over a BMW/Merc?-lexus-7.jpg

2002 Lexus ES300 (my current drive):

Lexus over a BMW/Merc?-imgp5022tbhp.jpg
Lexus over a BMW/Merc?-imgp5023tbhp.jpg