Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2010, 01:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Yes,an i10 face-lift is due now,I suppose.But rest assured it'll be limited to the bumpers,grille and lamps.And new interior color schemes perhaps! But that's fine,the i10 only requires some minor refreshments,as of now.If it ain't broke,why fix it?
Old 30th June 2010, 15:10   #17
BHPian

This is exactly the analogy that came to my mind.
i10 was an ugly duckling . Now grown up and unexpected!? major bollywood movie star.
Needs to keep going for the next X years running around trees.
What does such a person do in such a situation ? Go under the surgeon's knife and get plastic surgery in the hope of a few more golden years.
Maybe reducing the rates per movie might help there.. (Translate that to OTR prices).
I would'nt mind the i10 with the epsilon engine looking better at 3 lakh OTR and the kappa at 3.7-4 lakhs OTR. which is what they are fairly worth.
But the indian public loves the stars as they are. So the stars go for minor nose or chin jobs and the public still buys preview tickets at inflated rates or in black..Which is exactly what is going to happen.
Let's wait and watch!
Old 30th June 2010, 15:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post

Case in point here is of the old jelly bean Zen and the newer one(last gen) Although launched as the new zen it was difficult for the people to relate to the cute jelly bean body shape and the tall boy design.
I think Zen Estilo is doing pretty well (~6k per month). I doubt the old zen ever did 6k of sales in a month! the new tallboy zen is more practical than the jellybean that was very much cramped for space. And lets not discuss performance as in India practicality rules over performance anyday for majority (and majority wins! we all know that.) With the new K-series unit, the Estilo definitely is worth consideration small car. I realized one of its merits when I found that my kids stroller that wouldnt fit in our i10 (and we bought the smallest stroller when we did coz of the small boot in i10), well Estilo is able to accomodate that in her boot!!! Thats better planning. Ingress/Egress is also more easier in Estilo than i10 (another pet peeve of mine w.r.t. i10 that I want resolved in future editions).

i10 facelift is definitely due. The dashboard should have been changed ages ago (as the reflection is a huge problem). The integrated stereo is really cheapo looking. No harm in providing ACC in higher versions as Beat has it. Also it would be better to revert back to normal seats for front (rather than the i10-specific design). Probably they can also somehow increase seat heights (at least for the driver - I can hardly see the bonnet and its difficult parking close to road sidewalks) - they can provide height adjustable seats. exteriors I dont care that much... they can remain the same or they can give i10 looks of a lambo... makes no diff.
Old 1st July 2010, 10:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
I would'nt mind the i10 with the epsilon engine looking better at 3 lakh OTR and the kappa at 3.7-4 lakhs OTR. which is what they are fairly worth.
i10 at 3 lakh OTR in Bangalore, you must be day dreaming.

You don't even get a humble Alto at that price in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I realized one of its merits when I found that my kids stroller that wouldnt fit in our i10 (and we bought the smallest stroller when we did coz of the small boot in i10), well Estilo is able to accomodate that in her boot!!! Thats better planning. Ingress/Egress is also more easier in Estilo than i10
No offence, but if boot space and ease of ingress were your primary requirements, then you should have gone for WagonR or Santro.

Rohan
Old 6th July 2010, 05:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

i10 Facelift spotted in NH4

Cheers guys. Yes, Hyundai is finally testing it's i10 Facelift out in public roads. Spotted this test mule in NH4 on Saturday.

From the rear, nothing was visible except for the change in shape of the taillight lenses. The profile remains virtually unchanged except for the repositioning of indicators in the rear-view mirrors. But, I could also spot the recess in the place where the existing indicators are present. Will it have two indicators? The interiors could not be seen because of the heavily tinted glasses all around the car.

Hyundai i10 facelift EDIT: Pic on Page 7, Brochure on page 18-spy-shoti10-fl-1.jpg

The biggest change I guess is in the front of the car. I could clearly see that the headlamps were blackened out with clear partition for the indicators. Also, from the outline of the camouflage, I could see the new family hexagonal grille (like the all-new Avante (Elantra) & Tucson (ix35)). I hope Hyundai has not fooled me by giving a special design for the camouflage alone. If it comes out as I saw, I am sure that it will look great.

Hyundai i10 facelift EDIT: Pic on Page 7, Brochure on page 18-spy-shoti10-fl-2.jpg

Hope this time Hyundai doesn't screw up the grille design like they did on the Verna.
Old 6th July 2010, 14:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Good catch. Its is LHD model that you captured. I really want them to move the number plate in the tailgate but, i think this is left for the next upgrade
Old 6th July 2010, 14:45   #22
BHPian

kool! nice one. But facelift ! what could it be. I got mine just 3 weeks back! hope they dont disappoint us like how they launched the kappa soon after the iRDE! eheh

How about the tyres? did the test mule have 13 incher or the 14 incher? arvi, any more insights?
Old 6th July 2010, 14:45   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
i10 at 3 lakh OTR in Bangalore, you must be day dreaming.

You don't even get a humble Alto at that price in Bangalore.
Dude, don't you know a joke when you see one.All that meant to do was to cock a snook at the ridiculous prices people pay for i10s. And Bangalore is any ways crazy as far as road tax is concerned. You think I want to buy an i10? No ways, I think it is more respectable to be seen in a nano.
Quote:
No offence, but if boot space and ease of ingress were your primary requirements, then you should have gone for WagonR or Santro.
Rohan
Ditch the part about offence, You'll have to eat your words there.The Estilo has one of the best boot space in that segment.I have a Zen Estilo. It had a bigger boot than my old Indica too. Occasionally we would use this car just for that factor , like when dropping inlaws to the station..And yes, the Estilo beats the Santro too. Just walk into any MUL Showroom and judge this for yourself.One reason why my wife went for this car was this.
Old 6th July 2010, 14:59   #24
BHPian

Will this facelift 're-write the laws of automotive engineering'?
Old 6th July 2010, 15:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Wheels look like 14 inchers to me.
Old 6th July 2010, 15:13   #26
BHPian

finally! damn! let us wait and see. I also read from some random site that they plan to introduce the start & stop component in the Kappa so that they can reduce the fuel consumed with the engine is idle. aneways The facelifted version might be launched sometime november-december this year.
Old 6th July 2010, 15:24   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Will this facelift 're-write the laws of automotive engineering'?
It most surely won't. But it is definitely going to re-write the laws of engineering
and re-wiring indian buyer's minds into liking this new monster's child.
Old 6th July 2010, 16:14   #28
BHPian

I hope Hyundai do away with the Biege interiors. They are a visual treat but a driving menace. I wonder how public demand prevails over design and safety
Old 6th July 2010, 21:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks. I guess I have been really lucky. I spotted a group of 2 camouflaged i10 Facelift cars today, again in NH4 near Kanchipuram. But I couldn't take any snaps today.

One of the cars did not have the tinted glasses thus allowing me to have a peep inside. The biggest change seems to be in the interior department with two of i10's major grouses covered - the dashboard is now black (or dark shade of grey) in color and the front seats had adjustable head restraints. I sincerely hope that these changes make their way into the domestic models as well and not confined only to LHD Export models, one of which I saw today. Other than that, there seems to be no major change in the interiors.

The wheels seems to be 14 inches to me but I could be wrong. Two things that looked really cool were the side indicators in the rear-view mirrors and the blackened out headlamps. The design concept of the headlamps is almost Honda City like, which is good.

I wish I could see the grille uncovered, but again, I was disappointed because of the heavy camouflage. Having seen the hexagonal grille design in Avante, I would love to see if it's really coming in i10 and how it would look in a small car.
Old 6th July 2010, 21:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
Dude, don't you know a joke when you see one.All that meant to do was to cock a snook at the ridiculous prices people pay for i10s. And Bangalore is any ways crazy as far as road tax is concerned. You think I want to buy an i10? No ways, I think it is more respectable to be seen in a nano.

Ditch the part about offence, You'll have to eat your words there.The Estilo has one of the best boot space in that segment.I have a Zen Estilo. It had a bigger boot than my old Indica too. Occasionally we would use this car just for that factor , like when dropping inlaws to the station..And yes, the Estilo beats the Santro too. Just walk into any MUL Showroom and judge this for yourself.One reason why my wife went for this car was this.
What is so wrong in the current i10 to make you say that it's more respectable to be seen in a Nano?

I guess all the automotive media (Autocar, Overdrive, BSM, TopGear, Zig Wheels & above all, the ICOTY) would not be wrong when they crowned the Hyundai i10 as Car Of The Year 2008. Also, if it has nothing going for it, it would not have become an international success story like what it is now.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed