Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2010, 18:13   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
How much ever punch you pack in is nothing as long as the chassis is not capable to carry that power without much ado. This is where the i10 loses out big time. Although its a huge leap over the Santro, its nowhere near the Figo and Swift as far as handling is concerned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
Rightly said longhorn, even if the engine technology is improving by leaps and bounds i am shocked as to why Hyundai never ever tried improving the handling of i10!! The ride and handling is just average.

Personally i am more concerned about ride, as i would not try to corner at high speeds. the car is great on smooth roads, but on bad roads
Well ride quality needs suspension tuning and is best when done by the company, but tire upgrades do help the handling by a great extent.
Old 14th September 2010, 19:14   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Well ride quality needs suspension tuning and is best when done by the company, but tire upgrades do help the handling by a great extent.
True Blackasta. But, can ride quality be improved to some extent by tire upgrades? Especially the i10?
(If we are OT here then please post in any thread relevant to discussing ride quality)
Old 14th September 2010, 21:03   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True Blackasta. But, can ride quality be improved to some extent by tire upgrades? Especially the i10?
(If we are OT here then please post in any thread relevant to discussing ride quality)
Well to be frank - tire upsizing compromises on ride quality making it jerkier over potholes. (I upsized from 155/80R13 to 185/60R14)
But on good roads I never feel any problem till 120 kmph - which is believe is the realistic speed cap these city hatches should do.
Its really difficult to make i10 a good handler and comfortable at the same time!
Only better suspension (softer) coupled with bigger, wider tires may do the trick - but then it might go the city/civic way to brush all the humps on road.

Last edited by blackasta : 14th September 2010 at 21:05.
Old 14th September 2010, 21:22   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Well to be frank - tire upsizing compromises on ride quality making it jerkier over potholes. (I upsized from 155/80R13 to 185/60R14)
But on good roads I never feel any problem till 120 kmph - which is believe is the realistic speed cap these city hatches should do.
Its really difficult to make i10 a good handler and comfortable at the same time!
Only better suspension (softer) coupled with bigger, wider tires may do the trick - but then it might go the city/civic way to brush all the humps on road.

Hmmm but, i wonder why, after all these years, have Hyundai not bothered about handling and ride. If we check the reviews(Autocar uk) of i30, i30 seems to have one of the best ride and handling abilities among its peers, but then the same hasn't been brought down to the i20 and the i10(i20 is much better than i10 but still not in the class of the polo, punto and figo).

Note: Autocar doesn't talk too much negatively about the i10s ride and handling either. So could it be because export versions have better tuned suspensions? Am i missing something here? However, the i20 review is somewhat in line with team-bhp reviews.

Could it be Cost cutting? Or is it some market study team which tells them what points to focus on and what to ignore, given
a) Punto being the best ride/handler isn't really a best seller
b) Maruti cars with good efficiency sell well, so focus on mileage
and so on?

I don't understand this.

Last edited by iPai : 14th September 2010 at 21:25.
Old 14th September 2010, 22:11   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
How much ever punch you pack in is nothing as long as the chassis is not capable to carry that power without much ado. This is where the i10 loses out big time. Although its a huge leap over the Santro, its nowhere near the Figo and Swift as far as handling is concerned.
i10 has always meant to be a user friendly city car , with stress on maneuverability than handling on high speeds. So it does the job pretty well.
Old 15th September 2010, 00:13   #216
Senior - BHPian

Now this is probably the weirdest thing I've seen! The new i10 with no windshield, no doors, no roof and no boot!

pic from CnB group
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i10 facelift EDIT: Pic on Page 7, Brochure on page 18-i10.jpg  

Hyundai i10 facelift EDIT: Pic on Page 7, Brochure on page 18-i10_1.jpg  

Old 15th September 2010, 00:18   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Now this is probably the weirdest thing I've seen! The new i10 with no windshield, no doors, no roof and no boot!

pic from CnB group
Lolz - looks somewhat like new bajaj auto!
Why is this on a highway?
Old 15th September 2010, 00:35   #218
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post

pic from CnB group
Quote:
Lolz - looks somewhat like new bajaj auto!
Why is this on a highway?
I think I know what this is, although I'm not entirely sure!

As you can see, the B-pillar and the dorrs on the right side of the car are intact. This is probably meant for catalog photographs of the interior of the car. I'd seen an Ikon just like this in the Kanakpura Ford dealership and on asking them, they said that they needed photos of the interior of the car to illustrate the space and features. The photos are generally taken from the left-hand-side and at a considerable height, hence the missing roof, doors, windshield and LHS B-pillar.

I might be wrong though!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th September 2010 at 00:41.
Old 15th September 2010, 05:46   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I think I know what this is, although I'm not entirely sure!

As you can see, the B-pillar and the dorrs on the right side of the car are intact. This is probably meant for catalog photographs of the interior of the car. I'd seen an Ikon just like this in the Kanakpura Ford dealership and on asking them, they said that they needed photos of the interior of the car to illustrate the space and features. The photos are generally taken from the left-hand-side and at a considerable height, hence the missing roof, doors, windshield and LHS B-pillar.

I might be wrong though!
I guess you are right suhaas. Even I was informed once that new cars are taken for 'Interior Photography' like this, but this is the first time I am seeing it on road. Usually, all these happen in closed doors, I guess.

Anyway, coming back to the redesign, I quite like the new i10's face, with Hyundai's universal hexagonal grille design perfectly executed into the little car. It makes the car look a bit more mature and aggressive compared to the cute and girlish design that the current i10 has.

I can see the i10 regaining the '2nd largest selling car in India' tag after this is launched.
Old 15th September 2010, 09:59   #220
Senior - BHPian

thats for the catalogue interior pics, its th cutaway section. The doortrims look beige whereas the dashboard looks to get some darker shades.
Old 15th September 2010, 10:54   #221
BHPian

Quote:

Note: Autocar doesn't talk too much negatively about the i10s ride and handling either. So could it be because export versions have better tuned suspensions?
Yes most UK reviews of i10 say it's a good handler!!!
Will 14" rims make such a big difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
thats for the catalogue interior pics, its th cutaway section. The doortrims look beige whereas the dashboard looks to get some darker shades.
maybe only the dash is darkened to reduce windshield reflections.
and the front seat split headrests is a welcome change.
the seats and plastic frame below the seats are darker than the head rests.

Last edited by Daewood : 15th September 2010 at 11:00.
Old 15th September 2010, 14:37   #222
BHPian

this car seems like its making its way out of Mumbai ! But nice pics, give us a clear idea of the dash colouring.

Are those wheel covers or are they alloys ? The wheel arches feel empty compared to the i10s we see on the roads . Generally the interior pictures are of the highest end variant in catalogues, is this the ASTA ???

its a pity you could not get snaps of the dash or even the steering wheel...but awesome scoop yet !
Old 15th September 2010, 15:12   #223
@ri
BHPian

Quote:

i30 seems to have one of the best ride and handling abilities among its peers, but then the same hasn't been brought down to the i20 and the i10(i20 is much better than i10 but still not in the class of the polo, punto and figo).
The ride quality of i10 needs improvement no doubt, but the i20 certainly is good in terms of ride and handling. It seems to be pretty well planted at high speeds as well as on bad roads. Now I do agree that the Polo and Punto are better handlers compared to the i20 but they lose out on certain other parameters.
The Figo handling I would rate it lower than i20 anyday.
Coming to i10, a friend of mine did a tyre upgrade and used Michellins. I do feel that his vehicle has a lot better improved ride and handling compared to the other i10s
Old 15th September 2010, 17:10   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ri View Post
The ride quality of i10 needs improvement no doubt, but the i20 certainly is good in terms of ride and handling. It seems to be pretty well planted at high speeds as well as on bad roads. Now I do agree that the Polo and Punto are better handlers compared to the i20 but they lose out on certain other parameters.
Coming to i10, a friend of mine did a tyre upgrade and used Michellins. I do feel that his vehicle has a lot better improved ride and handling compared to the other i10s
Useful Observation @ri! Can you let us know the upgrade details? Tyre Specifications i mean. It could serve as a good pointer towards improving ride.
Old 15th September 2010, 17:29   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ri View Post
Did you really mean "handling"?
I felt Figo and Swift are 'the best' in that department among all hatchbacks sold in India.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks