Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2010, 10:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Micra diesel is here NOW !

Note from Mod : Micra Diesel review has been uploaded at this link. Thread closed.

Renault-sourced 70 PS 1.5 dCi motor for the Nissan Micra this Diwali

Micra diesel is here NOW !-nissan_micra_diesel.jpg

The recently launched Micra has won rave reviews and, as a product, it deserves those. Soon it will surely amass more accolades as the diesel version goes on sale by Diwali this year.

Indians love diesel. It is an indisputable fact, given the lure of low running costs. The sales of diesel small car have been getting better year after year and the Micra diesel is set to join the party.

It will be powered by a 70 PS version of Renault’s ubiquitous 1.5-litre diesel engine, which currently does duty in the Logan. A five-speed manual will handle transmission duties.

Considering the increased weight in the nose of the car, a stiffer suspension, including a sturdier anti-roll bar, is likely to be introduced. Nissan are likely to offer the same trim levels in the diesel version as well. The cost, when compared variant to variant, will probably be about 10 to 15 per cent higher.

Source : The world's best car magazine
Image source : Indian Autos Blog | Indian Automobile Blog | Auto News India | Car News India

Last edited by GTO : 29th December 2010 at 14:36. Reason: Adding thread closure note + link to Micra diesel review
Old 27th September 2010, 11:03   #2
MAS
Senior - BHPian

This is good news

The 1.5 dCi engine under the logan is a good all-rounder. I am not sure how Micra's body would take the vibrations from the old generation engine.

As the engine is 1.5 Litre, it will attract higher Excise Duty (14% more), plus the premium on a diesel will take the prices about 25-30% higher when compared to its petrol sibling.
Old 27th September 2010, 11:19   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post

As the engine is 1.5 Litre, it will attract higher Excise Duty (14% more), plus the premium on a diesel will take the prices about 25-30% higher when compared to its petrol sibling.
No, it won't the CC of this engine is 1461 cc which falls under the 1.5 l for excise benefits.
Old 27th September 2010, 11:44   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
This is good news

The 1.5 dCi engine under the logan is a good all-rounder. I am not sure how Micra's body would take the vibrations from the old generation engine.

I totally agree with you about this point, but seems to be a good competitor for Logan also. But this 1.5L dCi engine should be a engine that is to look out for along with Fiat's T-Jet engine.
But is this engine is a Renault sourced 5-speed gearbox 70PS engine or Nissan has built a new unit ??
Old 27th September 2010, 12:03   #5
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
No, it won't the CC of this engine is 1461 cc which falls under the 1.5 l for excise benefits.
Sorry, my mistake.

Was thinking the limits of engine capacity to be 1.2 L for Petrol and 1.4 L for Diesel. Found out that the limit is actually 1.5 L for diesel.
Old 27th September 2010, 12:09   #6
BHPian

Since Renault and Nissan are partners, I guess the engine will be unchanged. So a 70bhp diesel and massive torque in a 900kg (weight of base petrol model, add approx 50kgs for diesel) body should make the Micra extremely quick and fuel efficient. I wouldn't be surprised if it is India's most fuel efficient diesel hatchback
Old 27th September 2010, 12:15   #7
BANNED

It will have an advantage on the NVH front since it will be a four pot instead of the (more vibration prone) 3-pot petrol. A lot of NHV may already have been taken care of due to the shakier version of the Petrol used.

What about an AT version?
Old 27th September 2010, 12:19   #8
BHPian

this is a very good step by Nissan who currently is facing the heat from its competitors for its petrol version Micra. This however, should bring Micra back in the game. The only point of concern being their paper thin dealer/service center, A.S.S and the price as compared to the giants !

I really really hope they price this well, something lesser than VW and near Ford

Last edited by dar3dev|l : 27th September 2010 at 12:26.
Old 27th September 2010, 13:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
IIRC Logan 1.5 dCi does not get excise benefit for being 1461cc.
All across, logan dCi has to bear the 20k excise for being a diesel.

It is categorised as 1.5L Diesel. That may be a reason for this.
Old 27th September 2010, 14:03   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
IIRC Logan 1.5 dCi does not get excise benefit for being 1461cc.
All across, logan dCi has to bear the 20k excise for being a diesel.

It is categorised as 1.5L Diesel. That may be a reason for this.
The excise is because of the length of Logan, not due to engine capacity. I think M&M is working on new Logan with shorter length and same engine to get excise benefit.
Old 27th September 2010, 18:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
The excise is because of the length of Logan, not due to engine capacity. I think M&M is working on new Logan with shorter length and same engine to get excise benefit.
Exactly, I wonder when M&M plans to come out with that one, and if it will continue to receive this K9K engine.

Unless they insulate the hood and firewall, the K9K is bound to be quite noisy on the Micra. The engine sounds on my colleague's Logan have increased quite a bit in 3 years , he does do good and regular maintenance on it. It sounded much like my Indica even though the K9K is a common rail.
Old 27th September 2010, 18:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Noisy or not, the DCi will be ultra fuel efficient in the Micra, with a decent amount of pep to boot. The Micra diesel will be a sensible alternative to the Swift and Figo diesels. It has the looks of a winner.
Old 27th September 2010, 18:42   #13
AWD
BHPian

Micra D would be a much needed addition to Nissans portfolio. Without an economical Diesel, its difficult to make a mark in the hatch back arena.
Now, Nissan needs to spruce up its dealerships & service centres. Availability of spares & costs should not be an issue from the word go.
Old 28th September 2010, 08:29   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
Noisy or not, the DCi will be ultra fuel efficient in the Micra, with a decent amount of pep to boot. The Micra diesel will be a sensible alternative to the Swift and Figo diesels. It has the looks of a winner.
I totally agree with you that Micra D will be a definitely a good alternative to Figo & Swift & will be much fuel efficient, the only thing now Nissan should look out for is to have a larger boot space & turbo() if possible.
After all, in case of looks; it is a definite winner but Nissan should better service facilities along with the reasonable priced spares for it.
Old 28th September 2010, 09:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
I totally agree with you that Micra D will be a definitely a good alternative to Figo & Swift & will be much fuel efficient, the only thing now Nissan should look out for is to have a larger boot space & turbo() if possible.
After all, in case of looks; it is a definite winner but Nissan should better service facilities along with the reasonable priced spares for it.
Micra's boot space is adequate and much better than Swift. That is not the problem for Micra. The problem has been that the product has failed to create a stir in the market because it does not offer anything great which others don't offer and neither it is the ultimate VFM like a Figo. Pricing will be key here. If they are able to price it slightly higher than the Figo, then it will do fine. I feel the Logan diesel is a good engine with low turbo-lag and good driveability and will offer the best FE in class due to the low weight of the Micra.

One piece of advice to Nissan - drop the fancy features like the keyless GO and instead have rear headrests/alloys/steering audio controls/bluetooth etc.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed