Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2010, 16:33   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Most of the auto manufactures have a slightly highers numbers for September and October due to the festive season as they would pile up the inventories anticipating a hike in the demand.

6K for the city is an amazing number. May be only Toyota will be able to challenge them to take a chunch of these numbers.

FIAT's got its task cut out, when every other manufacturer is piling up inventory, Only Fiat has lowered the production. Tie-up not working for FIAT
Old 1st October 2010, 16:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

I am absolutely shocked seeing City's numbers! Its selling as much as the Ford Figo allegedly with average interiors and equipment levels. Fiat sales have been steadily going down, a shame when you consider the cars themselves are pretty good.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 1st October 2010 at 16:36.
Old 1st October 2010, 16:37   #18
BHPian

Thanks GTO for compiling this within hours of the month's closure

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Chevrolet Captiva : 167
Mitsubishi Outlander : 198
I am surprised at Outlander selling more than Captiva with a petrol engine and fewer dealers. I think it's got to do with their new Rohit Bal copy, which has been derided in this forum elsewhere ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...aiting-29.html ) - it's certainly turning Outlander on!

Cheers,
Old 1st October 2010, 16:45   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Badguy> View Post
Fiat 500 getting a count of 0 wheras Beetle getting a count of 38 - I think it is the brand value also which speaks on the customer mind
FIAT 500 was a very confused launch.

On one side, FIAT brand image is so down, they are finding it hard to sell highly competitive cars like GP/ Linea even with competitive price tags. And on the other side, a 16L small hatch with the same 1.3L engine trying to sell on the image factor!
Quote:
They should start working on Safari and Aria.
Going by the rumours on the pricing front, i really doubt Aria will bring in the numbers for TATA.

Would be an excellent platform to show off their advancements in technology/ reliability till the new Safari comes out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
City scales yet another peak. Congratulation
Now time for the next frontier
City sales are amazing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I10 is doing great, going to hit 15K in the next month I guess with the new version
Would be interesting to watch how the price increase affects i10. Its a better product than before, but the prices have gone up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Swift is finally showing its age. Time for Maruti to get the new Swift.
Time for the new Swift alright, but showing its age?

11,913 Swift + 8566 DZire. Thats a huge figure, for what is now a 5 year old platform. Just imagine the profit this car now brings in for Maruti!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st October 2010 at 16:47.
Old 1st October 2010, 16:46   #20
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a few things are FIRMLY established for now
1. Alto is the undisputed king and will rule the charts for the small hatch, seriously wonder who will create history by doing anything to remotely challenge maruti
2. Its a fight between the i10 and WagonR+Swift combined, hyundai getting a face-lift for the i10 should make some difference, wonder how much though. Amazing that a decade old model is still in the game,even though a face-lift was offered, but still, who would expect these numbers from Wagon R!
3. FIAT will continue to maybe woo on those who are specific to what they offer, they are clearly not in the game at all. Linea barely sells more than the jazz! Even with a newer engine etc, i am not sure if they can grow their numbers in line with the market unless some serious issues get fixed
4. FORD has come back and is firmly in the game with Figo, a winner that too in the territory where Swift,i20 etc were already firmly planted
5. As rightly said, vento or no vento- ANHC is the aspirational car, if even after the vento's launch, the sales just zoom speaks about the preferred car in that segment. Will be interesting to see when Vento is at full steam, what happens to the numbers
6. i20- what a winner indeed, runs almost unchallenged in its segment, even after the introduction of the polo. Guess applause's to the guys at hyundai who got out new variants immediately, thus showing that they are listening very closely to the market.
Interesting few months till year end, as festival season approaches, guess its going to be party time at the car dealerships!
Old 1st October 2010, 16:50   #21
BANNED

Bangalore prices:
Cost of Optra: Rs. 959756/-
Cost of Cruze: Rs. 1161968/-
Difference: 2 lakhs
It makes so much sense to somehow manage 2 lakhs and go for Cruze instead of Optra.

Its time for GM to withdraw UVA (283), Aveo (323) & Optra. They are just warming the seat (wasting the premium display area) and wasting everybody else's time. Instead they must get Captiva, Cruze, Beat & Spark to occupy that space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Chevrolet Optra : 236
Chevrolet Cruze : 847
Quote:
Fiat sales have been steadily going down, a shame when you consider the cars themselves are pretty good.
As they say, thats a million dollar question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
@GTO: Can you please analyse the FIAT linea figures, as they are stagnating around 700-800 units, what do you see as this models future. All other cars in the segment are rising (Logan, Fiesta, SX4 & ANHC), was it because market was expetcting T-jet, and held back purchases? Or has Fiat lost it?

Last edited by Eddy : 1st October 2010 at 18:12. Reason: Removing OT content
Old 1st October 2010, 16:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am absolutely shocked seeing City's numbers! Its selling as much as the Ford Figo allegedly with average interiors and equipment levels. Fiat sales have been steadily going down, a shame when you consider the cars themselves are pretty good.
City is the Upper Middle Classes Maruti !! From my interaction with lots of friends in the Corporate Sector - 30-40 age bracket earning 10 lacs + per annum just think of 1 car when they upgrade from their hatches to a 3 box sedan - the undisputed king -City

I think that's where Honda is getting the numbers from
Old 1st October 2010, 16:56   #23
BHPian

FIAT INDIA car sales: Sales of Fiat cars in India

Data, statistics, charts, car models sales.
Old 1st October 2010, 17:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1 View Post
City is the Upper Middle Classes Maruti !! From my interaction with lots of friends in the Corporate Sector - 30-40 age bracket earning 10 lacs + per annum just think of 1 car when they upgrade from their hatches to a 3 box sedan - the undisputed king -City

I think that's where Honda is getting the numbers from
Could not have put it better especially the part in bold. I have had interactions with the senior management too and 99% reason for them buying the City is because their peers also have the same car.
Old 1st October 2010, 17:07   #25
BHPian

Thanks GTO

Have been waiting for this since today morning. Thanks a ton GTO :-)

City again has proved its mettle.

Looking at Vento's numbers, one gets the feeling SX4, Fiesta, Verna etc are slowing going to wade away from the picture. If Maruti launches SX4 diesel or hybrid it can survive for few more years.

Eventually the war in this segment is gonna be between H Vs V.

Yet to see a Micra on the road.
Old 1st October 2010, 17:25   #26
cLJ
BHPian

Fiat sales are going down month after month. The T-Jet linea will bring some upward movement in their chart.

The Honda Jazz numbers are picking-up and the huge discount offered are also helping their cause. They should reduce the cost by a minimum 1 lakh rupees to see a 4 digit sales.

I20 is doing well.

CLJ
Old 1st October 2010, 17:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

Also sales of Mahindra are a slap on the face of Tata's! It also shows how much the market values reliability.

I would also say that Safari sales were never upto its potential. It came in 1999 and from then on has earned a reputation of unreliability. We have a great example in the from of Fortuner which proves what a reliable good looking SUV can do to your sales. The Safari should have atleast sold as much as the Scorpio if not more. I hate Tata for their QC or rather lack of it.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 1st October 2010 at 17:30.
Old 1st October 2010, 17:30   #28
BANNED

When I go to buy Beetle, its has Touareg, Phaeton, Passat & atleast Jetta for company. What about 500? Indica? Nano? Indigo? Sumo?
Quote:
Fiat 500 getting a count of 0 wheras Beetle getting a count of 38 - I think it is the brand value also which speaks on the customer mind
What about Aveo & Linea? They must be करोड़पति (Crorepati) 's cars, since they sell in same numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1 View Post
City is the Upper Middle Classes Maruti !!
Old 1st October 2010, 17:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

Great info GTO , Kudos !

Now here's my take , and probably i'll be echoing fellow-mates conclusions :

The top 10 stands as :

Maruti Alto :30147
Hyundai i10 :14434
Maruti Wagon R :14354
Maruti Swift :11913
Tata Indigo+Marina :8783
Maruti Swift Dzire :8566
Mahindra Bolero :8171
Hyundai i20 :7680
Maruti Omni :7484
Ford Figo :6465

1 . First point ! The overall sales have been exceptional ! Most of the cars which were doing well, have bettered their nos. significantly.

2 . The STARS of September : Alto , i10 , City , Bolero , and surprise surprise , the i20 !
Hyundai must be laughing all the way , on the exceptional success of i20. At the launch they were targeting merely 1000 - 1500 units per month , but the market response was overwhelming ! And now see, it's crossed the 7K mark.

3. It seems the cashless ownership scheme has failed to grab any eyeballs for Chevrolet.
The sales remain as they were, for Beat and Spark.

4. September sales has shown us , the importance of BRAND VALUE. HYUNDAI and CHEVROLET were both running lucrative schemes in the month. On one hand Hyundai had super success , and sales for Chevy remain the same.

5. The super run for Nano has come to halt. Surprisingly the Indigo has outdone Indica.

6. Exceptional nos. for Bolero as well as Scorpio. Xylo too has closed on Innova .

7. The mid-size segment is hotting up ! City crossing the 6 K mark and Vento doing pretty well in the very first month.

8. Good nos. for Logan after long long time.
Old 1st October 2010, 17:45   #30
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Can't figure why nano figures have fallen to 5K from 9K levels - any issues in production?
Vista, Linea and Punto figures disappoint for the cars they are.
City grows even stronger with each new competitor lauch ? Linea - new Verna - Vento..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed