Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2010, 09:04   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Not exactly. The sales have shot off after the launch of Era variants for both petrol and diesel and I can assure you that most of the sales come from these models which are priced in the 5-6 lakh ballpark and not 6-8 lakhs as you said.

Not excatly. The i20 was always selling above 4k units average, and after the introduction of the diesel variants, has always been 6k+ units a month. And btw, none of the diesels are in the 5-6 lac range, the base era is 6+ OTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post

I20 figures have been the most surprising for me. Its does not do anything too well. The diesel is too expensive, the reported AC problems, the lesser performance compared to its similarly hearted i10 sibling and still it sells. Looks too are subjective and looks like the majority of Indians like its looks and interiors. No wonder its really tough for car makers to really judge what sells in India and what does not.
I really don't see why u are surprised. Its a great car, does everything decently, and blows away the competition in the engine, fit n finish and equipment department. The AC problems are long gone, and the company has issued free fixes for all the affected cars. (I've done that and the Ac is simply brilliant now). The 'handling and steering feedback' issue has been blown out of proportion on the forum here, and i must say, its nothing more than a hype. Agreed, its no the best steering feel around, but its still quite acceptable. But what i find funny is that, on the forum,. everyone talks about 'class leading handling' and 'solid doors' and what not, but they quietly go and buy other, more 'reliable' cars! he he!

An d i really dont think its hard for manufacturers to find out what sells here, a good diesel hatch with a good engine, and decent FE will sell well, provided the A.S.S is decent, and the car is sanely priced. As ford has found out with the figo.

If you are charging a premium, the Indian consumer is willing to pay it, provided the car has the equipment, fit n finish and good support, like Hyundai has done with the i20.

Fiat provided an average car, with below par quality and doubtful A.S.S, the result of which is shown in the sales figures.

If Fiat wants to grow in India, it should improve its A.S.S, and most importantly, quality.
Old 4th October 2010, 09:36   #92
BHPian

Well said Jay!!!! I wonder why people are surprised to see the i20 sell.

@vsk2009- Your opinion on your fellow countrymen seems to be very bad. IMO the people buy what they want according to certain parameters they set. If that means they are ignorant, then God BLESS!!
Please tell me which cars according to you should be selling more and why.
Old 4th October 2010, 09:38   #93
BHPian

I'm quite surprised with wagon R's numbers. They keep going up each month. Now if Maruti introduces Wagon R (K10) Duo that will increase the figures by another 10-15%. I seriously think maruti should introduce diesel engine option in wagon R (Fiat's 1.2 ltr anyone?) and price it a segment lower than ritz and swift, i.e. around Rs 4.5 lacs,that would set the cat amongst the pigeons, Vista and figo!
Old 4th October 2010, 09:54   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Reg i20's "surprise" sales numbers, as a former Hyundai owner, I have always been delighted by their service mentality coupled with availability and price of spares. The main issue I had with them is that they tend to produce "boring" cars, bar the Accent (which remains my first love!) With the i20, they have successfully tackled even that malaise. I am thrilled for them. Let it be a warning to other manufacturers not to take their consumers for granted.
Old 4th October 2010, 10:28   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
MAHINDRA
Mahindra Renault Logan : 1000
Mahindra Jeeps : 1366
Mahindra Scorpio : 4001
Mahindra Xylo : 3002
Mahindra Bolero : 8171
Did anyone notice the round figures by Mahindra? Seems like they were pushing it up the respective 1000s. Anyway, the overall showing is quite good by them.
Old 4th October 2010, 10:36   #96
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Safari still dominated by the sCorpio whose pwned by BOLERO!!!
Can you imagine Mahindra spending all those crores in developing the Scorpio & Xylo, only to have the ancient Bolero outsell them by 2.5X? Not to mention, the Bolero - thanks to its vintage design - will be so much more profitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am absolutely shocked seeing City's numbers! Its selling as much as the Ford Figo allegedly with average interiors and equipment levels.
Buying a car isn't only about equipment levels, its about the overall package. And as I've stated earlier, the City was the only true all-rounder in the segment (until the recent Vento launch).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Can't figure why nano figures have fallen to 5K from 9K levels - any issues in production?
The Nano has had so many hiccups since day one that its hard to comment until the production & distribution completely stabilize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS View Post
Altis is still the KING of the segment
Sure is. However, not by the margin that we had predicted. Fact is, the Cruze is proving to be a formidable competitor despite a brand that doesn't come anywhere close, and only a single engine (versus the petrol & diesel options in the Altis). The rumoured upcoming Cruze petrol will only widen the Chevy's appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sush View Post
I am happy to see the Logan numbers rising. Better sales numbers would mean better resale value for the existing customers :-)
Not to forget, the sub 4 meter Logan will easily double its sales. To all of us who wrote it off (yours truly included), what a comeback Mahindra has given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Looks like my prediction months back about Mercedes / BMW selling 5000+ cars this year will turn out correct
January to September – 4158 Mercedes already sold. 5,000 seems realistic for both, Benz & BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
GTO, i did not see Xenon mentioned under Tata, they could not sell any?
Probably. I recollect some other members posting that 2010 model Xenons have yet to reach showrooms. Tata may be having trouble selling 2009 inventory itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@GTO: E-class selling more than C-class isn't as far-out a concept as it sounds. Isn't there a reverse law of elasticity for luxury goods? Besides, with the likes of Audi, Skoda, Honda, Toyota etc. offering excellently packaged offerings in the same price range, I think the C (and BMW's 3) are losing out.
Hit the nail right on the head. The 20 lakh rupee Superb, Accord & Teana do everything that the C Class & 3 series can, and then some more. The 30 lakh rupee Germans find themselves in an uncomfortable position, mainly appealing to only first-time luxury car buyers lured by the badge. Would I buy a C Class again? No way in hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Well said Jay!!!! I wonder why people are surprised to see the i20 sell.
I am also (pleasantly) surprised, primarily due to the i20's premium pricing. 6+ lakh rupee hatchbacks have never really met with such success in a market that has traditionally thought of equivalently priced "sedans" as being superior to "hatchbacks". The i20 gives the buyer the quality, space, equipment and after-sales experience that he is looking for.
Old 4th October 2010, 11:35   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I really don't see why u are surprised. Its a great car, does everything decently, and blows away the competition in the engine, fit n finish and equipment department. The AC problems are long gone, and the company has issued free fixes for all the affected cars. (I've done that and the Ac is simply brilliant now).
How many people in India take a TD before buying a car?
Here in Chennai a major Hyundai dealer doesn't even have petrol i20 TD car and yet manages to sell around 40 units per month!!!

If people make a decision after a TD, Chevy Uva 1.2 will steal 30% of the i20 sales, atleast in the metros. Believe me, UVA does everthing better than i20 including a class leading AC, rear seats with centre arm rests, plus a super silent cabin. And why is it selling only 200 units ?
Don't tell me Chevy *** is an issue. They offer 3 year cashfree ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
The 'handling and steering feedback' issue has been blown out of proportion on the forum here, and i must say, its nothing more than a hype.
The dead steering is not hype sir. it's the truth.

Last edited by Daewood : 4th October 2010 at 11:38.
Old 4th October 2010, 11:52   #98
BHPian

Expected rally on the Alto front!
Surprised to see the numbers for Bolero

Are the Volkswagen people still yet to stabilize their production line.
they have pretty big waiting list, not capitalizing on their orders is a sad thing.
Old 4th October 2010, 14:03   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post

The dead steering is not hype sir. it's the truth.
Yep i agree.

However must say that most of the people i have met who drove an i20 and punto would say that ," i20 steering is smooth and better"

The smoothness is referred to how easy you can wrigle out in a b2b traffic where a spot can be lost in a nanosecond.
Old 4th October 2010, 14:32   #100
BHPian

I am not sure if this has already been answered in the thread. The 30k+ for the Alto, is there a breakup of the 800cc and the 1L engine sales?

looks like a 66%(800cc) 34%(1000cc) split in sales.
Old 4th October 2010, 14:32   #101
BANNED

+1 and Why would anybody want to end up with sore arms after a long drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by paritosh2k View Post
" i20 steering is smooth and better"
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
This also proves that most people care a damn for handling and steering feedback. All they want is a reliable car with a good after sales support, plus good interiors and a choice of engines.
Another under-selling car is Jazz. Its time for Honda to get 1.4 Jazz and steal the thunder from i20.
Old 4th October 2010, 14:42   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Another under-selling car is Jazz. Its time for Honda to get 1.4 Jazz and steal the thunder from i20.

1.4 will not help Jazz sales in any which way. The 1.2 engine of the Jazz is best-in-class. It is extremely smooth and adequately powerful. The only reason Jazz does not sell is the price. Nothing else!
Mind you the 1.2 motor of the I20 is no great performer. People do not buy the I20 for its power.

Last edited by adimicra : 4th October 2010 at 14:44.
Old 4th October 2010, 15:16   #103
BHPian

Can we have the petrol/diesel split of all the models?
Old 4th October 2010, 15:54   #104
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Small correction in the Micra numbers. They've been updated to 1,183 (from the earlier 1,170).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
How many people in India take a TD before buying a car?
Only about 1/3rd, some cities & towns even less. Then, out of those who do test-drive, how many know *what* to look out for? Cars in India sell on brand / looks / reputation more than anything else. Of course, we can argue that how a vehicle performs (over a short / long ownership period) builds its reputation.

Quote:
The dead steering is not hype sir
Certainly isn't. Guys like you, me and most other BHPians prefer well-weighted hydraulic steering wheels. However, my Dad, sister, cousins, friends and the other 99% of the car market like their steerings light & effortless. Hyundai (and other EPS-equipped cars) are simply giving the market what they want!
Old 4th October 2010, 16:09   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Certainly isn't. Guys like you, me and most other BHPians prefer well-weighted hydraulic steering wheels. However, my Dad, sister, cousins, friends and the other 99% of the car market like their steerings light & effortless. Hyundai (and other EPS-equipped cars) are simply giving the market what they want!
I agree. 99% of the people do not care about steering feedback. Most of the cars spend their time in the city (probably 90% of the time). I clearly remember one of my friends rejecting the fiesta saying its steering requires too much effort. But kudos to other manufacturers who still have the HPS in their cars (Ford, Fiat).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks