Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2010, 12:11   #121
Senior - BHPian

@ GTO,
The numbers are very descriptive and not sure from where you get these magic numbers from. Was just speculating is it possible for you to put in the year to date sales figures as well so that we can know if there is any particular model that is having an abrupt increase. Should help us better understand & analyze the numbers along with any promotional activities.

Am i asking for too much? you can ignore this request.
Old 5th October 2010, 12:21   #122
Senior - BHPian

Where are all the K10 Altos gone?!

30,000 Altos! How many out of this was K10? I heard that K10 is selling like hot cakes, but so far I could see only two of them on road. Interestingly, I have seen more Micras on road!
Old 5th October 2010, 12:32   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
I believe that the problem with the Estilo was than it was just a rebodied and slightly less well built WagonR when it was launched. And the previous gen wagonR was launched in 2000. So it wasn't really an all 'new' and improved product.

But I agree with the A-Star. Maruti simply lost the plot with that one, which should have become the new Alto in India. They could have made the Alto 800 the entry level car and the A-Star priced around the same range as the K-10 is today. But, oh well...
there are only two problems with the a-star-rear seat nonexistent space, and high price. The AT is good value too, but strictly for singles. Even the design with an alto-being-hit-by-a-sledgehammer like rear end is no too everyone's liking.

A wagon-R AT and a Ritz AT will be good VFM cars provided MSIL launches them. Both good value tallboys with nice motors and practicality factor also.
Old 5th October 2010, 12:38   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
30,000 Altos! How many out of this was K10?
two thirds..yes around 20,000, of them were k10!!!!

and the car already has a 1 month waiting period.

Last edited by Daewood : 5th October 2010 at 12:44.
Old 5th October 2010, 14:21   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
there are only two problems with the a-star-rear seat nonexistent space, and high price. The AT is good value too, but strictly for singles. Even the design with an alto-being-hit-by-a-sledgehammer like rear end is no too everyone's liking.

A wagon-R AT and a Ritz AT will be good VFM cars provided MSIL launches them. Both good value tallboys with nice motors and practicality factor also.
The new A-Star hasn't really won here because it doesn't do the two things you said above, which other VFM products do, (e.g. the Figo has good space at a good price).

Well, we can keep wishing for the AT's but I guess Maruti isn't going to oblige the Indian customer any time soon. Do you think that the K10 engine (in the wagonR/Estilo/A-Star) is ill suited for an Automatic? Because it already has driveability issues in stop-start traffic, and an automatic will poorly chosen gear ratios will simply exacerbate the problem.

On another note, I think the only reason Maruti did not give the K12 to the wagonR is that:
A. It would have been priced too close to the Ritz.
Or
B. It would have been priced lower than the Ritz and cannibalized it.
Old 5th October 2010, 14:29   #126
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
The numbers are very descriptive and not sure from where you get these magic numbers from.
Magicians don't reveal .

Seriously though, the numbers have matched with whichever manufacturer has officially released their sales (via press releases). Wait till SIAM releases their data and gauge the accuracy.

Quote:
Was just speculating is it possible for you to put in the year to date sales figures
Best way to compare would be to look up older sales thread; we've had one for practically each month.

SIAM does send me an excel sheet which I cannot put up on the forum due to copyright reasons. Anyone who wants it can subscribe to SIAM's annual packages.

Last edited by GTO : 5th October 2010 at 14:31.
Old 5th October 2010, 14:35   #127
BHPian

Awesome compilation GTO.

Missing manufacturers from the sales figures - BMW, Audi and Volvo. Hopefully, those figures will come soon too.

Speaking about accuracy, I have always noticed a difference of a few units (tens to maximum hundreds) between manufacturer's release and SIAM's release. How do they measure sales btw? No of vehicles officially registered or the numbers that leave the showrooms?
Old 5th October 2010, 16:43   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Safari still dominated by the sCorpio whose pwned by BOLERO!!!

interesting! me likes - thanks rush!
I am long on M&M and short on Tata.

Tata are now left to graze grass in only two field : entry level sedan & micro small car.
I see Manza's volumes to be eroded substantially by Etios. And Nano, even if it sells the number it is forecast-ed to, will make very little profit for Tata Motors.

On the other hand, M&M is at present placed in a kind of sweet spot. I do not see any manufacturer challenging it UV & SUV portfolio in the near to mid term. And all said and done, and though its MUV- Xylo couldn't topple Innova, but it does very healthy numbers.
Old 5th October 2010, 16:55   #129
Senior - BHPian

+6000 in City sales in mind boggling.. almost matches Santro/Indica sales!!!!!!
Old 5th October 2010, 22:46   #130
BHPian

My God, 14354 Wagon R units.. I wonder why no other car maker is attempting to produce a box shaped car like Wagon R. Practicality wins over looks, in India
Old 5th October 2010, 23:59   #131
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Deleted. Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled.

Last edited by Amartya : 6th October 2010 at 00:23. Reason: One liner comment right after a similar comment made earlier
Old 6th October 2010, 07:35   #132
Mik
BHPian

Why are we surprised with the i20 doing such great numbers.
In the premium hatch category, it hardly has any worthy contenders.

1. Fabia: Its a skoda, and very noisy at that. Enough said.

2. Punto: Its a Fiat. People don't trust Fiat. They have very good reasons not to trust Fiat. I love the punto but will never buy one because Fiat might just stop it and then not provide me spares. Also, Indians like premium interiors and i20 trumps the punto hollow in that.

3. Polo: This is a worthy contender. However i am suspecting it will go the skoda way in dealership experience and cost of ownership once the euphoria settles down.

i20 has a lot going for it. It is stylish. Its got the Hyundai ***. Its comfy and premium. We might cry about its so so handling, but hardly anyone cares about things like feedback. An easy to drive EPS is what everyone wants.

The premium hatch is a lucrative segment. Many people, who want to move away from their Alto/Santro/WagonR consider this segment next (practicality of a hatch + interiors of a sedan) and we all know how volumnious the alto/santro/wagonR segment is.
Old 6th October 2010, 07:46   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Why are we surprised with the i20 doing such great numbers.

i20 has a lot going for it. It is stylish. Its got the Hyundai ***. Its comfy and premium. We might cry about its so so handling, but hardly anyone cares about things like feedback. An easy to drive EPS is what everyone wants.
Mate, I agree on your observations about I20. I also think that people get the premium feel with the stylish looks and quality(flashy) interiors of the I20. I know people really do not care about handling but tell me one thing - how can it sell so much with a weak AC in hot country like India. I have first hand experience from the rear seat of the I20 and the AC was inadequate even when the temp outside was not the hottest. Continues to puzzle me month after month! Or Hyundai has changed something to rectify the issue?
Old 6th October 2010, 09:49   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Mate, I agree on your observations about I20. I also think that people get the premium feel with the stylish looks and quality(flashy) interiors of the I20. I know people really do not care about handling but tell me one thing - how can it sell so much with a weak AC in hot country like India. I have first hand experience from the rear seat of the I20 and the AC was inadequate even when the temp outside was not the hottest. Continues to puzzle me month after month! Or Hyundai has changed something to rectify the issue?
Time and again, in this forum it has been observed that NOT ALL i20s have this problem. I have met owners who are not in Team BHP and they have never once complained about the AC. We too own an i20 and i have tested it in pretty hot conditions, i have felt the AC to be adequate if not great! Agreed, its not a chiller like say an i10 AC but nevertheless it is good enough.

May be a batch of i20 had AC issues for which Hyundai proposed some ECU reprogramming solution(something like that )
Old 6th October 2010, 10:48   #135
BHPian

Not good to see Tata struggling with the Indica and Indigo series. The Indica series (Indica+Indica Vista) manages just 6000 odd while Indigo series (Indigo+Indigo CS+Indigo Manza+Indigo Marina+Indigo XL) is 8000 odd. They need to seriously rethink their strategy with their newer cars, especially when it comes to naming them. Indica is hitting new lows thanks to the Vista, which has failed to take off. Any facelift for the Vista on the way?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks