Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2010, 07:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand why would TML have a refresh model in Oct 2010 if a totally new version is expected in Mar 2011. This can only happen if the totally revised version has been pushed back. Please remember every minor facelift causes a huge investment in terms of tooling both at manufacturer and vendor end.

I think it will be slightly more clear once the spied pictures are out!
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
... All the Safari really needs is:

1) Better QC
2) Front facing third row seats
3) Reclining middle row seat
4) Better fit and finish for dashboard.
5) Integrated roof ac vents rather than making it look like a cold storage truck.
1) Absolutely agree on this one
2) Do not agree where. This is an SUV, not a people mover. For 3rd row comfort people should buy MUV's that offer them. The area behind the middle row is for luggage.
3) Oh yes! Something that should have been there from day one (just as the QC side)
4) Maybe this was a limitation when the vehicle was introduced and now, when newer technology came, they never bothered to re-look. It is not that they do not have it in-house (Grande & Aria)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
OMG! I hope they're not contemplating giving it the Manza/Aria headlights. Time to commit suicide if they do...
Do not think the design will allow for those headlights to be fixed on the Safari. Thank GOD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Phew! Now more confusion for me. My Safari is not yet billed, so I have the choice to wait for the refresh. But how long I'll have to wait is the question?...
If you decide to wait, it might turn out to be a very LONG wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
...This can only happen if the totally revised version has been pushed back...
Bingo! Seems to be the case. But with just a recent "all new", what else are they going to give the chrome treatment???

Last edited by HappyWheels : 3rd October 2010 at 09:10.
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:37   #18
BHPian

Now refresh is a good word Tata people have chosen to further improve the flaws in the beast. Lets hope they fix the awkward blower cooling issues and improve the dated dashboard , seriously its been long since they updated them. Hey, the looks , i still love the way she looks.
Old 3rd October 2010, 10:15   #19
evo
BHPian

I doubt it will be anything more than giving the LX some from the EX, the EX from the GX and so on.

At most they`ll change the grille and the spare wheel cover. There has been a slight "refresh" to the LX model a couple of months ago too - they added the so called beige interiors to it. They also "refreshed" the gauges to blue good looking ones.

Give the LX essentials like Seat Height Adjuster, Body Coloured bumpers, remote locking and change the tiny tiny FAN Knob, give it a stereo and make the stereos USB compatible please ! ABS across the range, instead of making people buy the hideous two tone GX for ABS. ( Personal opinion on hideousness, I`m sure many like the combination) Though I hear that TATA does sell the GX in with the same colour cladding too.

AND my biggest gripe is the tiniest part of the car. THE KEY ! When even tiny cars have nice looking Desmodronic type keys, then why not a hulking thing like the Safari?

Last edited by evo : 3rd October 2010 at 10:24. Reason: GX Single Colour
Old 3rd October 2010, 19:54   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

According to the latest Autocar India the refreshed Safari is expected to be launched in February 2011. According to the article the roofline/body remains the same. heavy revisions made to the front and back, new headlights, tail lights, new grille, new bumper, etc.. Engine will be shared with Aria. Power output remains the same, some engine tweaks for further refinement.

In a related news clipping from Autocar India, Ratan Tata has given diktat that all new vehicles coming out of Tata Stable should have Zero defects from day one. This is really good news that that Ratan has taken Tata's biggest achilles heel seriously, namely their QC.
Old 3rd October 2010, 20:43   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
According to the latest Autocar India the refreshed Safari is expected to be launched in February 2011. According to the article the roofline/body remains the same. heavy revisions made to the front and back, new headlights, tail lights, new grille, new bumper, etc.. Engine will be shared with Aria. Power output remains the same, some engine tweaks for further refinement.

In a related news clipping from Autocar India, Ratan Tata has given diktat that all new vehicles coming out of Tata Stable should have Zero defects from day one. This is really good news that that Ratan has taken Tata's biggest achilles heel seriously, namely their QC.
Looks like some "heavy" refreshment is on the way ! By the way I really dont buy the "diktat" point ! They still are not able to get atleast Safi trouble free - how can one expect all cars from the stable !!

It will take years [decades] for them to do it. But if they are really serious, they will be the kings in India. If they carry the current attitude for Aria, its all going to be a trouble journey for Tata.
Old 3rd October 2010, 21:51   #22
BHPian

This is mighty confusing.

I am in the process of evaluating my next car, this fatty being one of them; and here's a refresh in Oct'2010 & an All-New in Mar'2011.

The stupid marketing & the PLM chaps at Tata need to realize that a car isn't an Anti-Virus software that can be updated every now and then.
Do your homework -
- analyze all the consumer complaints data,
- analyze a replaced parts data from your central ERP (or whatever),
- check competition;
and then prioritize/decide at one go what to enhance/upgrade.

Buyers aren't fools, they know such frequent "refresh" releases are basically fault corrections.

Such frequent releases kill the resale value. Safari's resale as it is isn't anything to talk about, and these refreshes makes a prospective customer totally lose confidence in the brand.

Anyways, the fatty pulls the heart like no other. And that’s despite its current shortcomings; improvements will only up its charm.

cheers
lazy
Old 4th October 2010, 11:53   #23
BHPian

I checked with two dealers and both are like it is not possible for a refresh Safari now.

Mighty confusion - I dont want to regret if I go for current Safari now, and a refresh comes out within the month. I am not in a hurry, but I have paid 50% to the dealer having booked a LX.

This thread came as a shocker yesterday, and since I have read that refreshed Safari is coming this month in atleast two other websites...

Any advice for a confused soul?
Old 4th October 2010, 12:05   #24
Team-BHP Support

This is just a minor cosmetic upgrade. A major upgrade is expected in 2011.
So take your pic.
Getting the older safari now won't be an issue, since its not a major change.
Old 4th October 2010, 12:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

I just hope that come March 2011 (or whenever the facelifted/refreshed Safari is launched), TML offers ABS at least as an option across all variants- a Safari LX with ABS is all I need......
Old 4th October 2010, 12:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post

This thread came as a shocker yesterday, and since I have read that refreshed Safari is coming this month in atleast two other websites...

Any advice for a confused soul?
Just to give you little peace, I am going ahead with my billing and delivery.

As per dealer, Aria's launch is biggie this month and an all-out effort towards that. Take this with a pinch of salt, as per him - the Safari refresh is only in 2011.

My friend, my concern is not this upgrade, but Aria' price overlap and it canibalizing some Safari models. (not LX but GX is very likely to be )

I presume you are aware that you are buying an 14 year old platform and 2.2 vtt itself has been 3 years in its avatar.

IMHO, If you are willing to wait 6 months, then wait and buy Aria. If not buy Safari now.. 1 or 2 months wait is not going to help.

Quote:
I just hope that come March 2011 (or whenever the facelifted/refreshed Safari is launched), TML offers ABS at least as an option across all variants- a Safari LX with ABS is all I need......
That is the most VFM model!!. I guess, with Aria - TATA needs to rationalize the variants in Safari.. Safari below 10 lacs and Aria above 10 lacs is what it should be.

Last edited by druva : 4th October 2010 at 12:59.
Old 4th October 2010, 13:11   #27
BHPian

I feel that spending more effort on Safari is like flogging a dead horse. Safari is an old platform that has links with Sierra / Estate and there is not much more that can be done to improve it. A Safari on Aria platform is a better strategy
Old 4th October 2010, 14:14   #28
BHPian

New Safari - Spotted

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh911 View Post
I feel that spending more effort on Safari is like flogging a dead horse. Safari is an old platform that has links with Sierra / Estate and there is not much more that can be done to improve it. A Safari on Aria platform is a better strategy

To see your comments.

please view the link below for a pic of Safari without camouflage.
Exclusive Scoop! 2012 Tata Safari caught without camouflage!

Source: Motoroids.com
Old 4th October 2010, 15:14   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL4X4 View Post

To see your comments.

Looks a little Land Roverish from the scoop pic. I like the current look better.
All it needs is a better dashboard and QC.
Old 4th October 2010, 16:25   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL4X4 View Post

To see your comments.

That is not a TATA emblem and those aren't the Safari alloys the mules are testing with
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks