Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2014, 15:25   #211

Re: About Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars

Some more articles on the Google autonomous car in these links.
http://blog.gsmarena.com/google-reve...f-driving-car/

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27587558
Old 28th May 2014, 22:44   #212
BHPian

re: Google unveils Driverless Car! 2 seats, no steering wheel, 25 mph

very well done Google but i prefer the other type
dj78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 23:08   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

looks like there are a few bugs that still need ironing out:

Click on the little video clip in this link:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/04/con...s/?ncid=pushup

Last edited by Jeroen : 4th June 2014 at 23:09.
Old 16th July 2014, 17:53   #214
Senior - BHPian

Alan Mulally, Former Ford CEO, Joins Google's Board

Hopefully this will boost,
1) Google self-driving car project,
2) Android for for cars project.
Old 18th July 2014, 18:51   #215
Senior - BHPian

I have not gone through all the pages of this thread, but this thread seems to be THE place to discuss autonomous or driver-less cars.

These cars are the new talk of the town, now that Tesla has become a household name (not a household car yet!) And all this talk of driver-less cars just brings me down. I dont want advancements that work towards taking me further away from the joy of driving! I want things to go the other way! As it is, with blind spot detection, lane departure warning, cruise control, adaptive cruise control, the fast fading manual transmission and a ton of other features, the "drive" in "driver" is fast becoming a thing of the past.

Although these days I drive a 5.7L Hemi V8 powered car, the carbureted E-Zen that i used to drive some ten years back still reigns at the top of driving pleasure. And no, the E in there was not for "Economy".

Anyway, rant over.
Back on the subject of driver less cars, recently I came across this article:
FBI Warns about Driverless Cars

Quite interesting POV i must say.
Fill it. Shut it. Send it to the intended blast site!
Old 30th July 2014, 15:14   #216
Senior - BHPian

I just came across this news item on the BBC page that the UK Govt plans to allow driverless cars on public roads by next year.
If this comes about it will definitely be a defining moment in automobile history and will bring about revolutionary changes in the automobile world.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28557637
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 20:38   #217
Senior - BHPian

I was about to post that but you beat me to it.

The future is arriving faster than I expected/hoped!

It will be interesting to see how things will pan out in case of an accident with a driverless car.
Old 13th August 2014, 09:25   #218
Senior - BHPian

Folks! In yet another study it has been found that Men enjoy self-driven cars more than women. In a study published by the University of Michigan Transport Research Institute in July this year it was found that women are more skeptical about self-driven cars than we men are.

Quote:
While 59 percent of male respondents reacted positively to autonomous cars, the number for women rested at 54 percent. Although the numbers seem close, the report says that women seemed to respond less enthusiastically about the technology and were more concerned with safety issues.
About Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars-googleselfdrivencarfrontpressimage.jpg

Link: https://www.facebook.com/IndianAutosBlog

Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 18:00   #219
Senior - BHPian

Google has taken the wraps off what they call the "first real build" of their self-driven car prototype. The initial prototype was unveiled in May this year, but lacked features such as a steering wheel, brakes or even headlights. Google says they have added these systems to their "first complete prototype for fully autonomous driving".

Link to Team-BHP news article

About Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars-vehicle-prototype-image-banner-cropped-600px.jpg

About Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars-5553214711528815000.jpg

Old 1st January 2015, 04:17   #220
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes-Benz autonomous driving concept

Mercedes-Benz will unveil the their autonomous driving concept car in Las Vegas on January 5, at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES).

About Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars-auto-benz.jpg

They had released the teaser image featuring an aerodynamic styling and a very low roofline.
The article observes that the vehicle has extremely short front and rear overhangs and has probably installed some of the cameras and radars that help the vehicle drive itself on the bulkier roof.

source: http://www.worldcarfans.com/11412318...eased-ahead-of

Read more on the autonomous cars here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ving-cars.html

Last edited by sarathlal : 1st January 2015 at 04:18.
sarathlal is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 12:45   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mercedes-Benz autonomous driving concept

We are looking at the future. Change is inexorable. My guess is that even in India in 35 years such cars will be the norm and enthusiasts who which to drive manual might have to pass some tests and pay a fee for the privilege. 35 years ago we did not have washing machines (autonomous dhobi); 45 years ago India did not have television (autonomous entertainment); a few BHPians may even remember how many man hours it took to hand draw a simple engineering drawing with instruments and a slide rule; and so on. Only enthusiasts ride horses today while merely 110 years ago a lot of people learnt to ride first for locomotion.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 17:04   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Autonomous Audi A7 ,dubbed as Jack,begins 885km journey from California to Las Vegas for CES.

About Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars-xaudia7piloteddrivingconcept_jpg_pagespeed_ic_yma6jhgxn0dpjukx1ha.jpg

For much of the 885km trip the experimental Audi A7 will drive itself along the United States’ Interstate Highway System. On the highway the A7, can pilot itself at anywhere between zero and 113km/h (70mph).

The highly autonomous A7 can change lanes and pass other vehicles as it deems necessary. This vehicle, however, is not equipped to drive itself through urban environments.

Quote:
When it detects such a scenario, it will alert the person in the driver’s seat that they need to resume control via coloured LEDs at the base of the windscreen, flashing lights in the instrument panel and audio warnings. If the driver ignores these warnings, the A7 will bring itself to a complete stop in the safest manner possible, most likely in the emergency lane.
The car is equipped with long range radar at the front and rear, which feed into the adaptive cruise control and side assistance systems. There’s also two mid-range radar units, pointed off to the sides, at both the front and rear that allows the A7 Piloted Driving Concept to have a 360 degree view of its surroundings.
Laser scanners mounted in the grille and the rear skirt keep track of both static and moving objects. A high-resolution 3D camera has a forward view of the car, while other cameras look out to the side and rear of the vehicle.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/328034/a...vegas-for-ces/
Old 7th January 2015, 01:58   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Mercedes-Benz will unveil the their autonomous driving concept car in Las Vegas on January 5, at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES).
Mercedes-Benz has unveiled their autonomous driving concept car, F 015.
Here are the pics;

About Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars-b-11.jpg

About Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars-b-1.jpg

About Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars-b-2.jpg

About Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars-b-3.jpg

More details here: http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/5/749...iving-ces-2015
sarathlal is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 16:22   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Mercedes-Benz has unveiled their autonomous driving concept car, F 015.
Hey There,

As per my information DRDO in India is also working on projects to develop autonomous wheeled and tracked vehicles for military applications.

However these vehicles are not truly autonomous as these need to be controlled wireless-ly by the mother station.

Such prototype vehicles are well into testing phase.

Last edited by skdking : 7th January 2015 at 16:23.
Old 3rd February 2015, 10:39   #225
Senior - BHPian

Google is working on an Uber-like service for autonomous vehicles !
Quote:
David Drummond, Google’s chief legal officer and senior vice president of corporate development, joined the Uber board of directors in 2013 and has served on it ever since.
Google is preparing to offer its own ride-hailing service, most likely in conjunction with its long-in-development driverless car project. Drummond has informed Uber's board of this possibility, according to a person close to the Uber board, and Uber executives have seen screenshots of what appears to be a Google ride-sharing app that is currently being used by Google employees.
Source: Google Is Developing Its Own Uber Competitor

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks